HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 2:47 AM

If you think transit only exists to facilitate the movement of cars, then anything less than full grade separation that doesn't interfere with traffic is considered bad transit. Rob Ford school of transit planning ("Subways! Subways! Subways!").

I'm looking forward to the same circular argument a decade from now. And then eventually proper bus lanes i on Bank in 2035 when it becomes obvious nobody is really that interested in ponying up for a $2B subway when Trillium is doing just fine.

Has anybody seen where growth is being directed in the city's master plan? How much of that is along a potential Bank subway corridor (including Trillium Southwest)? How does that growth compare to feed into Orleans Stage 2 and Kanata and Barrhaven Stage 3?

Last edited by Truenorth00; Jan 13, 2023 at 11:36 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
If you think transit only exists to facilitate the movement of cars, then anything less than full grade separation that doesn't interfere with traffic is considered bad transit. Rob Ford school of transit planning ("Subways! Subways! Subways!").

I'm looking forward to the same circular argument a decade from now. And then eventually proper bus lanes i on Bank in 2035 when it becomes obvious nobody is really that interested in ponying up for a $2B subway when Trillium is doing just fine.

Has anybody where growth is being directed in the city's master plan? How much of that is along a potential Bank subway corridor (including Trillium Southwest)? How does that growth compare to feed into Orleans Stage 2 and Kansta and Barrhaven Stage 3?
I fully expect the status quo in 2035.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Cheaper maybe. Better how? It is probably the worst airport train in the entire world.
Worst? That's a stretch LOL.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
Worst? That's a stretch LOL.
If you have a better candidate feel free to propose one. I can't think of a worse one, i.e. an airport train where you have to take three trains to get to the city centre. It's particularly egregious because the airport isn't that far from the city centre (about 10 km), so it isn't like one of those Ryanair airports.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
If you have a better candidate feel free to propose one. I can't think of a worse one, i.e. an airport train where you have to take three trains to get to the city centre. It's particularly egregious because the airport isn't that far from the city centre (about 10 km), so it isn't like one of those Ryanair airports.
Especially since in the bad old days pre-LRT the 97 would take you from the airport to the Rideau Centre in under 30 minutes.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nredding View Post
Especially since in the bad old days pre-LRT the 97 would take you from the airport to the Rideau Centre in under 30 minutes.
Can't have efficient transportation, have to have something that looks good in a brochure.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation