HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 1:22 AM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I hope when Im there it snows or something. Otherwise it will be kinda boring for photos with all the trees without their leaves.
sadly they tend to close the roads.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 10:11 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicalRebel View Post
Just wait until April when everything is bursting green and blooming and every vitamin D deficient Pittsburger is out strolling the parks and streets.

Feb and March are my least favorite months here.
Make that January and February and I'm entirely with you on this. March is normally the month that really starts becoming spring, so a few warm days are bound to happen...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:23 AM
Stuck in the Suburbs

Echoing what Aaron said, please be careful through the Appalachians if snow is in the forecast, the orographic effect there is deceptively strong and I have found even major highways can be closed, having been stranded more than once in some random Maryland town with my ski trip plans out the window...

Having said that, if you get the chance, definitely stop in some of the Appalachian towns. Your route through there seems to stray off the interstate, so I'm assuming this is already in the plans. Asheville seems like it would be your kind of place.

The Smokies are beautiful, but Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is...um...interesting. Tourist nightmare to the umpteenth power.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:34 AM
Ex Houstonian

Im sure Pigeon Forge is just like the hell hole of Branson MO. And I will be sure to check the weather forecast.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:36 AM
Eurosceptic

I'm sure you'll love Elkins, WV.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:43 AM
Ex Houstonian

Well, I spent the night one time in a place called Antlers, OK so if its anything like that than Id imagine my standards shouldnt be set too high for that town lol

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 11:04 PM
Editor

Excellent photo tour!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Im sure Pigeon Forge is just like the hell hole of Branson MO. And I will be sure to check the weather forecast.
Pigeon Forge was the scariest place I ever been. Imagine a half hazardly planned post WW2 suburban strip Highway lined with hillbilly family shit on steroids filled with ratherly large people (many who's family tree may resemble a stump) driving around in extra large pickups with truck nutz.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 2:05 AM
Ex Houstonian

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 4:57 AM

photoLith - I thought your route was taking you through Atlanta? You were supposed to come through here and grace us with your amazing photographic skills...are you going to zig a little and zag a little?

If you want some great directions from Atlanta to Cherokee/Smoky Mountains Park/Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/I-40 to I-81 just let me know.

And amazingly wonderful shots of PIT!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 5:18 AM
Ex Houstonian

I changed my route a little bit since posting that map. Im for sure stopping in at Atlanta to take some kick ass night skyline shots and whatnot. It would be nice to know where to go for epic skyline photos.

trip by photolitherland, on Flickr

Last edited by photoLith; Feb 1, 2013 at 5:34 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:18 PM

So you are going through Asheville and Blacksburg right? Asheville is cool but in a hipster/alt country music street vibe kind of way with expensive organic chocolate shops.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 10:25 PM

Eh

Sorry Pitt just doesn't have the density to consider it a true city

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 10:33 PM
Ex Houstonian

I hope you're joking.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 6:37 PM

Quote:
I hope you're joking.
You've proven it by your own pics. Mostly rolling hills and the type of spread out large singles you'd see in exurbs. Sorry by definition a city is dense. You pictures prove a lack of density and therefore a lack of the true city dynamic.

I mean, come on LA is more dense! Can you get more sprawl?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 7:03 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Uhm, yeah you're nuts. No urban dynamic in pittsburgh? You must be looking at different photos. If Pittsburgh isn't urban and dynamic than I don't have a freaking clue what is. I think you are just trying to be a jackass.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 7:36 PM

Quote:
^
Uhm, yeah you're nuts. No urban dynamic in pittsburgh? You must be looking at different photos. If Pittsburgh isn't urban and dynamic than I don't have a freaking clue what is. I think you are just trying to be a jackass.
I'm just stating the facts. Mine are objective and verifiable and yours are subjective and specious.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 7:37 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayitaintso View Post
You've proven it by your own pics. Mostly rolling hills and the type of spread out large singles you'd see in exurbs. Sorry by definition a city is dense. You pictures prove a lack of density and therefore a lack of the true city dynamic.

I mean, come on LA is more dense! Can you get more sprawl?
One of two things:

A) You're a useless troll, and will be quickly banned by moderation upon your next useless trolling post.

or

B) You don't have a freaking clue about anything but whatever city you live in/grew up in, and have no business commenting here regardless. I hardly even dare to ask, but what's your idea of a truly urban city?

Either way, please grow the hell up. Thank you.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 7:57 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayitaintso View Post
I'm just stating the facts. Mine are objective and verifiable and yours are subjective and specious.
And you have no idea at all what you are talking about at all. You think la is urban but pittsburgh isn't lol. Dude get a clue. I guess St. Louis isn't urban and Houston is more urban than Philly. And quite frankly, your comments are highly offensive to me as I spent many cold days and walked with blisters on my feet to photograph that city and you are an insult to my photo thread.

Also moderators don't delete his posts or mine, I would like him to be duely corrected in his ignorance.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 1:04 PM

Its great for the photography section that you are leaving Texas,looking forward to more threads.....I thought this was an old thread when I saw it was at page four,seems
like your photos stir up interest and conversation.......its all good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos