HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 1:15 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I'm not sure where to find the info again but I'm pretty sure I read that the cities (not CMAs) populations are even closer. I believe Fredericton is only about 9000 less than Saint John now. Again, just the cities population.
Yes, the two cities are about 9000 people apart, as of the 2016 Census. Unfortunately, Statscan doesn't release annual population estimates at the municipal (Census Subdivision) level, so we're kind of in the dark as to how their growth has fared since 2016.

And IMO, the metropolitan count is more important in the grand scheme of things, as it gives a more accurate impression of the size of the community without regard to how municipal boundaries are drawn.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Yes, the two cities are about 9000 people apart, as of the 2016 Census. Unfortunately, Statscan doesn't release annual population estimates at the municipal (Census Subdivision) level, so we're kind of in the dark as to how their growth has fared since 2016.

And IMO, the metropolitan count is more important in the grand scheme of things, as it gives a more accurate impression of the size of the community without regard to how municipal boundaries are drawn.
Yes I agree with you. It will be interesting to watch the future growth in both the Saint John and Fredericton CMAs.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunes View Post
Dear God, hasn't this city reached peak Dollarama yet? I think Fredericton has more Dollaramas than Tim Hortons, and that's saying something.
It's the same in SJ... Out in the East SJ, there's literally 3 Dollarama's and 1 Great Canadian Dollar within 750m of each other. There's also another standalone 10,000sqft building being built that is becoming a Dollarama (how much profits are there in these stores?!?), given it's on Somerset st, so it's a whole 10min drive.

It's getting out of hand.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
It's the same in SJ... Out in the East SJ, there's literally 3 Dollarama's and 1 Great Canadian Dollar within 750m of each other. There's also another standalone 10,000sqft building being built that is becoming a Dollarama (how much profits are there in these stores?!?), given it's on Somerset st, so it's a whole 10min drive.

They must be profitable as there are so many of them. And aren't they putting another one in the old Sears space in the mall?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post

According to a rumour on Retail Talk & Share NB group on Facebook, someone said according to someone they know, whose close to the construction, the new dollar store on Somerset Street is actually "Dollar Tree" not "Dollarama". But I guess we will have to wait and see.

Quote:
They must be profitable as there are so many of them. And aren't they putting another one in the old Sears space in the mall?
There is already a Dollarama in McAllister Place. It opened back in 2017 (next to Guest Services and H&M). It's one of the three NB_ExistsToo mentioned. The other two being Parkway Mall (Across the street from McAllister Place) and 101 McAllister Drive (across the street from the Parkway Mall one). But I heard the Parkway one is there until their lease is up in a couple years, then presumably they will close that one.

Last edited by DyAm00394; Aug 6, 2019 at 1:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
There is already a Dollarama in McAllister Place. It opened back in 2017 (next to Guest Services and H&M). It's one of the three NB_ExistsToo mentioned. The other two being Parkway Mall (Across the street from McAllister Place) and 101 McAllister Drive (across the street from the Parkway Mall one). But I heard the Parkway one is there until their lease is up in a couple years, then presumably they will close that one.
This makes sense; my impression was that the new one on McAllister Drive was effectively a relocation from Parkway.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 12:44 PM

Greener Village is seeking a variance to hold a weekly market: http://www.fredericton.ca/sites/defa...ndaaug2019.pdf

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 1:38 PM

Is Freddy approaching Peak-Market?

We have 2 weekend markets running year round.

We have the summer Thursday market downtown.

And I've seen signs that St Mary's wants to do a Thursday market as well (why Thursday?)

Well, if Greener Village can get the support to run the market, I wish them the best of luck.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Is Freddy approaching Peak-Market?

We have 2 weekend markets running year round.

We have the summer Thursday market downtown.

And I've seen signs that St Mary's wants to do a Thursday market as well (why Thursday?)

Well, if Greener Village can get the support to run the market, I wish them the best of luck.
Was there ever a market tried on campus?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:24 PM

Lol. They should have built at downtown instead. Too lazy to go to Bishop Dr. And they should lower the price too.

Cannabis NB blames $2.2M first-quarter loss on illegal dispensaries

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/cannabis...ries-1.4539044

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburns42 View Post
Lol. They should have built at downtown instead. Too lazy to go to Bishop Dr. And they should lower the price too.

Cannabis NB blames $2.2M first-quarter loss on illegal dispensaries

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/cannabis...ries-1.4539044
Hasn't turned out to be the money maker the government thought it would be.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 7:11 PM

Not having a location anywhere near downtown is really, really dumb.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Not having a location anywhere near downtown is really, really dumb.
And the one in Sackville isn't in a great location either.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 11:04 AM
The Sheriff

Quote:
And the one in Sackville isn't in a great location either.

Saw it when I stopped in Sackville on the way to Halifax, right off the exit what more can you ask for. People are just lazy if you want to smoke cannabis you will go to get it.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Saw it when I stopped in Sackville on the way to Halifax, right off the exit what more can you ask for. People are just lazy if you want to smoke cannabis you will go to get it.
Judging by how many have popped up in St. Marys recently, it seems people are definitely going somewhere to get it. Just not to Cannibas NB.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
The one on the back side of the brookside mall is one of my favorite locations. I only noticed it because I was out for a bike, and cut through the parking lot.

I would have been happy just selling pot out of the NB liquor locations, as they are already predominantly in good locations and could have easily cleared areas for it, but that is neither hear nor there. Give it time it was a prohibited substance and just like booze when it was legalized it will take time for the old guard to buy legal (cause it is pricey), and the young people coming up will know nothing but the stores (though there will always be those that deal on the side).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
The one on the back side of the brookside mall is one of my favorite locations. I only noticed it because I was out for a bike, and cut through the parking lot.

I would have been happy just selling pot out of the NB liquor locations, as they are already predominantly in good locations and could have easily cleared areas for it, but that is neither hear nor there. Give it time it was a prohibited substance and just like booze when it was legalized it will take time for the old guard to buy legal (cause it is pricey), and the young people coming up will know nothing but the stores (though there will always be those that deal on the side).
Selling it out of the liquor stores would have made sense IMHO.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 1:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Whoops, wrong thread.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 1:39 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post

I notice that one too since I live in by the brookside mall . the other one you can see when you leave HYUNDAI on the south side building.
Funny the Moncton its right in the main strip of the Mapleton Plaza there close to sleep country,

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 3:30 PM

Pseudio is now confirmed for Regent Mall and is open in December.
(It will go in the former Dynamite, across from Lawton's Drugs)

The following is from Regent Mall's announcement post on Facebook:
Quote:
Experience. More. at Regent Mall. We are very excited to announce Pseudio will be opening in our centre.
Look for their new store across from Lawton's Drugs opening this December.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces