HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:48 PM

The Property on 335 Block of Queen street is owned by a company partially owned if not fully owned by Earl Brewer and the plans will be presented to PAC in August from what I have been told. Supposedly it will be Commercial storefront on the main level with higher end rentals above and is suppose to be in the 5-6 storey area for floor count. Construction slated for late fall 2019

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealEstateGuy View Post
The Property on 335 Block of Queen street is owned by a company partially owned if not fully owned by Earl Brewer and the plans will be presented to PAC in August from what I have been told. Supposedly it will be Commercial storefront on the main level with higher end rentals above and is suppose to be in the 5-6 storey area for floor count. Construction slated for late fall 2019
It's a bit disappointing that this building is being torn down. It's a nice character building that fits in nicely with the Queen St. streetscape.
Having said that, I'll be glad if this results in the last of the empty lots on that stretch of Queen being reclaimed as infill. I would assume the the new building will need to follow built form guidelines to keep with the feel of street and if so I'll call this a net positive.

If both that building and the Legion replacement will be build next year then 2020 should be another good year for downtown development.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 10:30 PM
New Brunswick booster!

The airport is reporting a 3.9% increase in passenger traffic in the first half of 2019.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 2:58 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...owth-1.5201871

Fredericton real estate sales up 58 percent over same period last year. I'm sure this news will encourage some new construction.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 10:03 AM

Looks like a goodwill-type store opening next to Scotia bank on main. That plaza somehow stays full, just hope that the next one down (the one with BMO) gets demolished.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:23 PM

Exterior signage is now up at the new Marshalls at Uptowne

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:58 PM

Dynamite in the Regent mall is closing. That leaves a really nice sized corner spot open. Although I could see them breaking it up into multiple stores.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefry View Post
Dynamite in the Regent mall is closing. That leaves a really nice sized corner spot open. Although I could see them breaking it up into multiple stores.
According to the local paper.....Mall manager says that another store (yet to be named) will be moving into that space (3800 sq ft) this fall. Reason that Dynamite is closing is "because they could not renegotiate a new lease". Last day is July 27

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
According to the local paper.....Mall manager says that another store (yet to be named) will be moving into that space (3800 sq ft) this fall. Reason that Dynamite is closing is "because they could not renegotiate a new lease". Last day is July 27

I've actually heard Psudio will be going there but Im not sure how valid that really is.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:52 PM

Sign's up for Zio's pizza at the former Claudine's on Main Street.

Also noticed that the little patch of land beside Wendys on Main Street is on the market again. I thought that had already been sold?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 5:25 PM

Yeah I'd seen the SOLD signs up there up to a week ago, and now it's got a Flashy Exit Reality For Sale signs.

I wonder if the city should just buy the land and look to turn that corner into a roundabout for the entrance to the Main Street District. The Main Street plan already calls for that intersection to get some Entrance bling to highlight how it is the Main Street District.

Another Pizza place on Main? Well I guess we did just lose Fadi's so we had room. Sadly it means that the BMO plaza will endure longer as a Main Street eye sore. Maybe/hopefully they can do something with the other end of that lot instead.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 11:52 AM

This is interesting..

Hotel developer sues Fredericton over $250K 'performance payment'

Quote:
The developer of a downtown hotel in Fredericton is suing the city over a $250,000 "performance payment" after construction was completed three months behind schedule, claiming the delay was caused by events beyond its control - including the 2018 spring flood.

Aquilini Properties LP filed a notice of action and statement of claim against the City of Fredericton in the Court of Queen's Bench on June 24.

None of the allegations in the statement of claim has been proven in court.

In the document, Aquilini noted that as part of the development agreement between it and the city for the construction of the Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) on Queen Street, it provided the municipality with a $250,000 "performance payment."

"The development agreement provided that performance payment would be released to the plaintiff upon completion of the HGI project within the timeframes contemplated by the development agreement," the statement of claim notes.

The hotel was completed three months late, and the city withheld the $250,000. In January, Walther Lauffer, vice-president of hospitality for Aquilini Properties, told Fredericton's council-in-committee that decision "felt like a slap in the face."

"I can confirm that a notice of action has been received from Aquilini Properties LP," city communications manager Wayne Knorr wrote in an email to the Daily Gleaner. "We have no further comment to make at this time."

In its statement of claim, Aquilini claims events beyond its control led to the late completion of the project. Among those factors, it said in the statement, were inadequate performances by the project manager and sub-contractors, later revisions and inspections required by the hotel brand, weather events - including the 2018 spring flood - WorkSafe NB investigations and work stoppages stemming from a workplace fatality and serious injury involving subcontractor employees in two separate incidents, and archeological discoveries.

"The plaintiff took all reasonable steps within its control to minimize the delay caused by such events," the statement of claim says, noting Aquilini maintains that the city's refusal to release the $250,000 amounts to a breach of the development agreement.

Aquilini contends it kept the city updated on all delays and that city officials didn't express concerns or ask to meet about the delays.

The company asks the court to award $250,000 plus interest, and costs of the action.

Aquilini's legal representation did not return a request for further comment.

No date has been set for the case to be heard as yet, and the city has yet to file a statement of defence.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 12:17 PM

I suspect the Aquillini group has to show they put forth a bit of effort to reclaim the money, and might have a bit of a case (due to the floods). But delays due to contractors (including the investigation into the fatality) would IMO be on their shoulders since they are ultimately responsible for who they hire and the people who their hired people hire.

I fully expect the City and Aquillini will settle out of court and we may never know the full amount they get back. As long as it is under 250,000; I think I'd be fine with that.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 8:40 PM

Found this on the Retail Talk & Share group on Facebook:

Winners located at Corbett Centre is undergoing renovations

Here are some pics of the recently renovated Winners here in SJ, (for a reference of what the new updated store design looks like).

Also, I wonder if the HomeSense there will renovate to the new look too?

(These two pictures are also from the store here in SJ).

Last edited by DyAm00394; Jul 10, 2019 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:50 PM

Looks like the What on Earth store at the uptown center is open now permanently. I bought my wife some swag from there before Christmas.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 10:05 PM

Does anyone know what's going on at the old Irving bulk plant property in South Devon? I see that they're clearing brush, but nothing else so far.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Does anyone know what's going on at the old Irving bulk plant property in South Devon? I see that they're clearing brush, but nothing else so far.
Carleton Park expansion. That area specifically will become a boating centre

http://www.fredericton.ca/sites/defa...report2017.pdf

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I suspect the Aquillini group has to show they put forth a bit of effort to reclaim the money, and might have a bit of a case (due to the floods). But delays due to contractors (including the investigation into the fatality) would IMO be on their shoulders since they are ultimately responsible for who they hire and the people who their hired people hire.

I fully expect the City and Aquillini will settle out of court and we may never know the full amount they get back. As long as it is under 250,000; I think I'd be fine with that.
Keeping any money is very short sighted. I understand the desire to keep projects in the core on time but this was a dumb project to try and make an example of.

I'm guessing it's a bit of he said she said on timing. The developer likely got a bit of an extension when they were delayed due to archaeological but might be able to argue it wasn't enough. If they shut down the entire site for 2 weeks or a month or whatever it may be, even if the city extends the deadline by the same time, you can't expect the pace will pick back up at the rate it was moving before. Those trades that were working can't go back to the developer and ask for more money for the delay. When construction stops, all those workers stop getting paid. They can't call the bank and ask for an extension on their mortgage because they unearthed some old stones, they have no choice but to move on to another project in the meantime. Equipment gets moved off site only to have to be moved back, maybe once they started that second project they can't move back the moment the developer calls and says "OK the city has said we can work again", all of this takes time and is a massive pain in the ass.

Also you've got a HUGE development company who saw our city as an opportunity to develop, they come here and build a beautiful hotel right in the core of the city, I'm sure the property tax bill alone easily covers the 250 in the short term but on top of that they employee hundreds if not thousands of people during its construction and operation. You've got all the tourists who come here and stay at the hotel, pumping millions into the city. The conferences who are willing to rent out the conference center because there is now a hotel attached and so on. The spin offs are MASSIVE, the 250 is NOTHING.

Why would a developer want to delay their own project? They wouldn't, they want it opened just a quickly as the rest of us so they can start making money and performance money aside, delays=more expenses. They're already paying the property tax bill on the lot, they're paying their own people to manage the project, paying to keep the lights on in the project management trailer which stays functional, interest on the debt for the project, etc, etc.

Next time around, do you think this development company decides to build another hotel here? Or do they remember how ungrateful Fredericton was? How we screwed them over? How not flexible we were?

As a Mayor, do you want developers to push you around? To cause delays and hardships for your citizens? No, of course not but as a Mayor you have to look at what is good long term for your city and the long term positives here vastly outweigh the short term negatives. Yes you have to set some precedence but again, this was not the project to do it on.

End rant.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Carleton Park expansion. That area specifically will become a boating centre

http://www.fredericton.ca/sites/defa...report2017.pdf
That's the long term plan (it's shown throughout the attached pdf but the details are on page 36) but I don't think what's going on there now is related to the development of the boating centre.

I heard (on this forum or somewhere else) that is was being cleared to allow for equipment and material storage for the work that's planned for the walking bridge this fall.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyGuy View Post
Keeping any money is very short sighted. I understand the desire to keep projects in the core on time but this was a dumb project to try and make an example of.

I'm guessing it's a bit of he said she said on timing. The developer likely got a bit of an extension when they were delayed due to archaeological but might be able to argue it wasn't enough. If they shut down the entire site for 2 weeks or a month or whatever it may be, even if the city extends the deadline by the same time, you can't expect the pace will pick back up at the rate it was moving before. Those trades that were working can't go back to the developer and ask for more money for the delay. When construction stops, all those workers stop getting paid. They can't call the bank and ask for an extension on their mortgage because they unearthed some old stones, they have no choice but to move on to another project in the meantime. Equipment gets moved off site only to have to be moved back, maybe once they started that second project they can't move back the moment the developer calls and says "OK the city has said we can work again", all of this takes time and is a massive pain in the ass.

Also you've got a HUGE development company who saw our city as an opportunity to develop, they come here and build a beautiful hotel right in the core of the city, I'm sure the property tax bill alone easily covers the 250 in the short term but on top of that they employee hundreds if not thousands of people during its construction and operation. You've got all the tourists who come here and stay at the hotel, pumping millions into the city. The conferences who are willing to rent out the conference center because there is now a hotel attached and so on. The spin offs are MASSIVE, the 250 is NOTHING.

Why would a developer want to delay their own project? They wouldn't, they want it opened just a quickly as the rest of us so they can start making money and performance money aside, delays=more expenses. They're already paying the property tax bill on the lot, they're paying their own people to manage the project, paying to keep the lights on in the project management trailer which stays functional, interest on the debt for the project, etc, etc.

Next time around, do you think this development company decides to build another hotel here? Or do they remember how ungrateful Fredericton was? How we screwed them over? How not flexible we were?

As a Mayor, do you want developers to push you around? To cause delays and hardships for your citizens? No, of course not but as a Mayor you have to look at what is good long term for your city and the long term positives here vastly outweigh the short term negatives. Yes you have to set some precedence but again, this was not the project to do it on.

End rant.
At the same time, the city of Fredericton:
- sold the property to the developer for $1 which the city paid $800k for
- is giving them 60 parking spots in the garage for 10 years for FREE
- contributed $700k towards site development

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...deal-1.3269901

Seems like the city is anything but inflexible to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces