HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10821  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:03 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,879
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10822  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:19 AM
BifRayRock BifRayRock is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
This article seems to describe the buildings we see among the foilage:
Thank you for digging that up.

Inglewood Dahlia Show, 25 August 1951. Pictured is Mrs. Marty Gibson (winner of "Howard Flowerland Trophy for Biggest Dahlia").
USC Digital

1926 - PJ Howard
http://www.arboretum.org

Horticulturist, Paul J Howard also had a nursery in Chatsworth.http://rescarta.lapl.org:8080/ResCar...earch_doc=1005

Last edited by BifRayRock; Dec 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10823  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:25 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
Madison Complex & GRanite 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
With 'Adams' added to my google search I was able to find this brief bit of information. The building was
http://www.thecentraloffice.com/calif/la/lap/lap.htm
thanks GW
Thanks to both of you. I couldn't find anything on our local exchange, GRanite 4, at the link, but did have a host of questions answered about the Madison Complex on Grand.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10824  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:42 AM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

IMDB


I don't know about Jane Adams, who might have thought of catchier screen name, but Mrs. Ron Waller was even more famous... the "Zsa Zsa Gabor picture" was apparently the Hungarian lady's 1958 masterpiece, Queen of Outer Space. Mrs. Ron Waller was known professionally as Marjorie Durant. Her claim to fame, even more than her memorable role as one of the "Venusians" (Venus being an all-woman planet for the purposes of the movie), was that she was (and apparently, is) the daughter of Marjorie Merriwether Post (which I think makes her the half-sister of the actually famous Dina Merrill). I'm no cynic, of course, but I can't help but wonder if perhaps Mummy's money helped her to be found "not guilty" of drunk driving....

USCDL

As captioned by the library:
"Mrs. Marjorie (Ron) Waller, 28, at wheel of her sports car in front of her home at 235 Entrada
Drive, Santa Monica Canyon, which is under 24-hour guard by private detectives
reportedly hired by her wealthy grandmother. Dog in pix is her toy French poodle VIP
(meaning Very Important Poodle)."

Why do I think that being under 24-hour guard and posing for publicity pictures is counterproductive? Anyway, the house at 235 Entrada Drive is still there, though remodeled and obscured by %&*ing trees. (Have I ever mentioned that I liked L.A. better before all these trees?)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10825  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:01 AM
Godzilla Godzilla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
1939 - Masselin and Wilshire



. . . same image as above with a closer view of the south side and Coulter's beautiful facade. Was it faced in travertine?

USC Digital
The pattern on Coulters is truly impressive.

The shadows suggest these images are from the late afternoon and that this might have been the start of the evening commute. Surprising that in '39 this area was so prone to rush hour congestion that it warranted traffic redirection. The far left eastbound lane is being used for westbound traffic. Were there that many motorists who commuted from West LA and Santa Monica to Downtown? What's next, bus only and hov lanes?

Source notes refer to this as "Suicide lane." Noticed this in other Wilshire photos at Western. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9133 I wonder if this was a Wilshire phenomenon or whether other main streets (without Streetcars) had traffic lanes that changed direction at different times of the day.

No parking meters and so few street parking signs!

USCDigitalLib
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10826  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:34 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
IMDB


I don't know about Jane Adams, who might have thought of catchier screen name, but Mrs. Ron Waller was even more famous... the "Zsa Zsa Gabor picture" was apparently the Hungarian lady's 1958 masterpiece, Queen of Outer Space. Mrs. Ron Waller was known professionally as Marjorie Durant. Her claim to fame, even more than her memorable role as one of the "Venusians" (Venus being an all-woman planet for the purposes of the movie), was that she was (and apparently, is) the daughter of Marjorie Merriwether Post (which I think makes her the half-sister of the actually famous Dina Merrill). I'm no cynic, of course, but I can't help but wonder if perhaps Mummy's money helped her to be found "not guilty" of drunk driving....

USCDL

As captioned by the library:
"Mrs. Marjorie (Ron) Waller, 28, at wheel of her sports car in front of her home at 235 Entrada
Drive, Santa Monica Canyon, which is under 24-hour guard by private detectives
reportedly hired by her wealthy grandmother. Dog in pix is her toy French poodle VIP
(meaning Very Important Poodle)."

Why do I think that being under 24-hour guard and posing for publicity pictures is counterproductive? Anyway, the house at 235 Entrada Drive is still there, though remodeled and obscured by %&*ing trees. (Have I ever mentioned that I liked L.A. better before all these trees?)
__

All of this is so great GW! 'Queen of Outer Space' is one of the first movies I can remember watching as a child. The other two are 'The Boy with Green Hair' and 'The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T'.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10827  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:41 AM
Chuckaluck Chuckaluck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

A '58 Dual-Ghia Convertible? Or a '57?
flickr

Smile of Confidence ?
USCDigital
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10828  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 3:26 AM
ProphetM ProphetM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 432
Is anyone else getting the USC digital pictures all broken-up? They seem to be cut into 4 different image files, and I get the top two and the bottom left picture on one line, followed by the bottom right picture on a second line, which places it beneath the top left picture. It's like a jigsaw puzzle that hasn't been totally assembled yet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10829  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 3:45 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
hydraulic lane dividers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
The shadows suggest these images are from the late afternoon and that this might have been the start of the evening commute. Surprising that in '39 this area was so prone to rush hour congestion that it warranted traffic redirection. The far left eastbound lane is being used for westbound traffic. Were there that many motorists who commuted from West LA and Santa Monica to Downtown? What's next, bus only and hov lanes?

Source notes refer to this as "Suicide lane." Noticed this in other Wilshire photos at Western. I wonder if this was a Wilshire phenomenon or whether other main streets (without Streetcars) had traffic lanes that changed direction at different times of the day.
You made me remember the hydraulic, pop-up lane dividers on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. They divided the eight-lane road into six lanes & two, north or south, depending on the rush hour, morning or evening. I think they existed from after the war until about the late 70's when they were abandoned in favor of hand-dropping traffic cones from slow-moving trucks. The automated dividers were a good enough idea in that "progress"-minded era, but when they failed, as they did on occasion, it was disastrous.

I'm amazed LA was doing the same thing with no markers at all. No wonder it was called the "Suicide Lane".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10830  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 3:52 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,879

ebay

I've been trying to make out the sign at lower right....is it Hotel...Aberdeen?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 11, 2012 at 4:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10831  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:17 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,879
early...early...early.


ebay
__
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10832  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:19 AM
Chuckaluck Chuckaluck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Is anyone else getting the USC digital pictures all broken-up? They seem to be cut into 4 different image files, and I get the top two and the bottom left picture on one line, followed by the bottom right picture on a second line, which places it beneath the top left picture. It's like a jigsaw puzzle that hasn't been totally assembled yet.
'SC recently changed its format so that it is difficult to post higher resolution photos without stitching them together. I found myself playing with the zoom feature ("control" and "+" or "-" keys) and found the photos seemed to come together. I fear that unless everyone were to use the same monitor or monitor settings, posting larger images viewable by everyone will be hit or miss.

Even worse than the picture puzzles created by the new format is the fact that some old links either don't work or have disappeared. Look at some of the earlier postings and you may or may not see an image from SC. Trying to reedit the posts to include a "better" working link still has some kinks, as I have received several "oops missing image" messages.

hth
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10833  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:26 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,879
The Betsy Ross?...never heard of it.


ebay
__
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10834  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:31 AM
FredH's Avatar
FredH FredH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 676
Chop Suey Crazy

Just in case you had any doubts about whether the Tuey Far Low restaurant in Chinatown (1939) served
Chop Suey, here they are sporting no less than three neon signs.


lapl

By the way, the wife is from Taiwan and I asked her once what exactly chop suey was. She gave
me a look like I was completely nuts...not the only time that has ever happened though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10835  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:32 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,879
Your 'chop suey' post made me smile FredH.



http://www.jmcvey.net/
__
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10836  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:37 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
Stoner & Texas 1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
And looking down from the tower:

Doris L Walker Collection
I'm liking this 1963 photo of Stoner Ave looking south to Texas Ave more and more kznyc2k. I keep returning to it.

The composition is outstanding and the color wonderfully evocative. The height of the tower combined with the land dropping rapidly away in this area gives a pleasantly disorientating point-of-view. The Barrington Plaza towers look like a brave-new-world, Bauhausian, but failed, public-housing complex in Europe somewhere, maybe suburban Brussels, and are in stark contrast to the haphazard jumble of buildings on the east end of the University High campus, which span four or more decades. One's eye, guided by the sidewalks on either side of Stoner Ave, is drawn to the top of the frame, where Stoner picks up again on the other side of campus. The curve of the retaining wall under the south tower nicely mirrors the curve of the track surrounding Uni's athletic field in the upper right of the photo.

This image is one of the more enjoyable things I've seen this week. Thx for posting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10837  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:51 AM
FredH's Avatar
FredH FredH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 676
The Bridge to Nowhere

Back in the 1930's, the residents of the San Gabriel Valley decided that cutting a road through the San Gabriel Mountains
to the resort city of Wrightwood on the other side, was a good idea. The plan was to generally follow the East Fork of the
San Gabriel River. After a few years of blasting, road building, and bridge building, the Great Flood of 1938 came along and
washed it all away (except for one bridge).


www.scvresources.com

The bridge is not connected to anything and it takes a nine mile round trip hike to get up there. Its main use now seems to be for bungee jumping.


Google Maps

The Bridge to Nowhere comes by its name fairly, because it really is in the middle of nowhere. You can find it somewhere inside this red circle:


Google Maps

If anyone wants to attempt the hike, the instructions (with a nice video) are here:

http://www.losangeleshikingguide.hik...tional-forest/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10838  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 6:56 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
Brown Derby, Wilshire west of Alexandria


silverscreenoasis.com

The open windows are a nice touch.

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 11, 2012 at 7:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10839  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 8:09 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,618
Culver City aerials

Triangle Studios, Culver, Washington & Venice Blvds running west, 1922

cc pierce

DeMille Studios (formerly Ince, later Selznick, later still, Culver) with
Hal Roach Studios to the east. Washington and Culver Blvds cross in the foreground, 1923

cc pierce
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10840  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:58 PM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

ebay
I've been trying to make out the sign at lower right....is it Hotel...Aberdeen?
__

LAPL

The Hotel Aberdeen was at 310 N Broadway...where the Hall of Justice, seen under construction in 1925, is today. It was across B'way from the WCTU (which we've seen here before) at the NW corner of Temple.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:40 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.