HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 2:47 PM

306 W Erie

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 3:45 PM

RUSH - 121 S Ashland

Aug 4

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Thinking about what they went through, and how they survived it, helps put my family's current "struggles" into perspective, and gives me hope. Yeah, we currently have no income other than unemployment, but at least we have a home to call home in a city that isn't utterly decimated.

In fact, next year will mark the 150th anniversary of the great fire.
Sorry to read about your challenges. Indeed these are challenging times for everyone in one form or another. Business is booming for me but I am reticent to walk out of the door and I worry what I might bring home to my wife and 12 year old daughter every day. Money only goes so far. Peace of mind, happiness and good health I find to be far more important. Hang in there my friend. As someone else wrote, you are good man. For someone like you, good things will come with time, patience, perseverance and faith in God.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 2:04 PM

First building permit issued for 4410 N Clark, which will be a new 4 story, 25 unit with 13 parking spaces and first floor retail. Not sure, but I'd guess at least one of the buildings next to it is going to get demolished too (maybe both?). This is right near Montrose Ave - a half mile from the Brown Line stop and maybe around 3/4 mile to the Wilson Red Line stop.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/44...2!4d-87.666523

Architect is William Rodon Hornof of 2R/Z slash Vesta. Trying to find some renderings but cannot yet. Interestingly though I came across this from 2317 N Clark St, the former Walgreens. New development was approved by the council back in 2018. Not sure if he's the architect of this or not, but this looks pretty similar to what Chicago DPD tweeted back in 2018

https://www.2rzarchitecture.com/PROJECTS/CLARK/1/thumbs

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 5:01 PM
TL;DR

Quite a few interesting infill projects on there. I dunno if we've seen those renderings for the Edgewater Hospital redevelopment before.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 7:43 PM

RUSH and Baby RUSH

Aug 13

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 2:52 AM

Sears Tower

Aug 6

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 3:49 PM

Not bad. Imagine if the entire tower was that saturated black.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 5:13 PM
Urbane observer

The name of that building was changed 11 years ago. It's now Willis Tower.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Not bad. Imagine if the entire tower was that saturated black.
Speaking of...whats the status of recladding the Sears Tower? I know it was on the table 10 years ago. And the Hancock, my lord it's looking chalky and faded. How long does anodized aluminum last?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 8:03 PM
TL;DR

^ I doubt that's happening in my lifetime, if ever. Sears isn't the MOST prestigious office address in Chicago, but it's close. Sears' owner won't drop close to a billion dollars on a new envelope unless they think they can raise the rents enough to cover the cost. Or, potentially, if the existing envelope is such an energy hog that they can get a billion dollars of energy savings over 30 years. Either situation seems unlikely. The new base, on the other hand, is a huge amenity for tenants and they will most certainly pay more to have that access. Just having good food options in the building, rather than a few blocks away, can mean a lot more productivity from employees. Plus, all that space in the new base is leasable and brings in its own income.

When we've seen recladdings in Chicago or other markets, it's for a limited number of reasons. In New York there's been a few, but usually it's because rents are depressed in the building relative to the neighbors, and a new envelope/re-image can potentially bring the tower back to tip-tip Class A status with more natural light and/or green street cred. There's also a few cases where a modernist building goes through a total change of use, like the old Montgomery Ward tower which became residential. Requirements for natural ventilation and modern energy codes come into play, so the old curtain wall system won't meet code.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ I doubt that's happening in my lifetime, if ever. Sears isn't the MOST prestigious office address in Chicago, but it's close. Sears' owner won't drop close to a billion dollars on a new envelope unless they think they can raise the rents enough to cover the cost. Or, potentially, if the existing envelope is such an energy hog that they can get a billion dollars of energy savings over 30 years. Either situation seems unlikely. The new base, on the other hand, is a huge amenity for tenants and they will most certainly pay more to have that access. Just having good food options in the building, rather than a few blocks away, can mean a lot more productivity from employees. Plus, all that space in the new base is leasable and brings in its own income.

When we've seen recladdings in Chicago or other markets, it's for a limited number of reasons. In New York there's been a few, but usually it's because rents are depressed in the building relative to the neighbors, and a new envelope/re-image can potentially bring the tower back to tip-tip Class A status with more natural light and/or green street cred. There's also a few cases where a modernist building goes through a total change of use, like the old Montgomery Ward tower which became residential. Requirements for natural ventilation and modern energy codes come into play, so the old curtain wall system won't meet code.
It's my understanding they replace windows constantly anyways and have been for a long time, so the windows should be fairly current already? Cant they just do the metal skins and leave the windows in place? Is that really a billion $$$$?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 3:05 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
It's my understanding they replace windows constantly anyways and have been for a long time, so the windows should be fairly current already? Cant they just do the metal skins and leave the windows in place? Is that really a billion $$$$?
Let's do a little math... the AJ Celebrezze Federal Building in Cleveland was reclad recently (10 years ago ish). At $121M for 340,000sf of envelope, that's approximately $350 for every square foot of envelope.

Sears has around 1.4 million square feet of envelope, so that would pencil out to around $500M in 2010 dollars. Chicago is a more expensive construction market than Cleveland, and there would be at least 10 years of cost inflation... plus the Cleveland project covered over the existing facade in place to save money and be less disruptive. If you're talking about a true replacement, then you've got to relocate tenants, etc. I could easily see the job landing between $750M-$1B.

Now, there may be some kind of field-applied coating that could be used to darken the anodized finish and reduce the faded appearance. That would be a lot cheaper, but you wouldn't get any energy benefits. There's just not really a great reason to replace the cladding. We aren't trying to replace the limestone on the Board of Trade or Union Station just because it weathered a bit after 100 years.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 4:08 AM
Show me the blueprints

_

Probably a hell of a lot cheaper.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 5:40 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Looking through Bart Shore's photos on flickr, does anyone know what's going on at UIC in the parking lot just west of University hall and the BSB building (near top left corner):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bartshore/50225780067/

There appears to be an awful lot of activity going on; new building? staging area?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 7:30 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Cleaning out off-topic nonsense.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Looking through Bart Shore's photos on flickr, does anyone know what's going on at UIC in the parking lot just west of University hall and the BSB building (near top left corner):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bartshore/50225780067/

There appears to be an awful lot of activity going on; new building? staging area?
It might be staging area for the new UIC theater that is supposed to break ground soon on the land south of the new dorm.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 10:21 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
It might be staging area for the new UIC theater that is supposed to break ground soon on the land south of the new dorm.
Whoa, that project is starting construction already?? I just assumed it was delayed due to the pandemic. Any links confirming construction?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Whoa, that project is starting construction already?? I just assumed it was delayed due to the pandemic. Any links confirming construction?
Well, they just broke ground on the new UIC hospital this week so I would assume the UIC theater won't have a problem with going ahead.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 12:37 AM
The City

A new UIC Hospital?

Damn that one sneaked by me.

All while Mercy is closing. Seems like a waste....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development