HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 11:07 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 7:30 PM

^That's super awesome, and I assume also help out Folk Fest.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
^That's super awesome, and I assume also help out Folk Fest.
The news release stated the project will facilitate use by Folk Fest as one of the organizations to benefit in shared usage.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 8:36 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton’s winter season kicks off with an exciting roster of events
December 5, 2022

Winter has officially arrived in Edmonton - and, this is no time to hibernate! Not with an iceberg of fun events and activities taking place in every corner of our city.

Downtown Fun
Edmonton’s Downtown has come alive with bright lights, art installations and great music as part of the Holiday Light Up, where Edmontonians can grab a cup of coffee or hot chocolate while strolling the streets along Rice Howard Way and take in the festive spirit of the season.

On Saturday, December 10, don’t miss out on The Style Experience. SHREDmonton is set to host Canada's first and largest stadium FIS Big Air World Cup. The event will feature the best snowboarders from across the globe, launching massive tricks from the very top of Commonwealth Stadium. Big stadium, big air, big vibes!

On Friday, December 16, bundle up and head to Sir Winston Churchill Square and the City Hall Plaza from 6 to 9 p.m. for Bright Light Skate Night. This free family-friendly event features skating, a DJ, free hot chocolate, a fire pit and roving performers. Be among the first to see the new temporary art installations come alive, as the works of Canadian artist Ken Hacke and Edmonton lantern creator Dylan Toymaker fill the Square with the warm glow of the holiday season.

Also making a return appearance in Churchill Square on December 16 is the popular Happy Wall installation. Created by Copenhagen artist Thomas Dambo, Happy Wall first made its home in the Square from 2018 to 2019. The interactive public art installation is 17 metres long and covered with 1,040 coloured panels of reclaimed wood that can be flipped to create images or phrases.

Exciting things are also coming to the ICE District this winter! The new Fan Park will be a multi-use space to host year-round events and programming in the Downtown core. Construction is currently underway with plans to host the first event in the new Fan Park this December.

Brush up on your skating skills and check out Downtown’s newest skating rink at the ICE District plaza from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. Starting on Friday, December 9, the City Hall ice skating rink will be open (weather and ice conditions permitting). Free skate rentals will be available each Friday from 4 to 9 p.m., and on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Shop Local
And while Downtown, the new Downtown Gift Card is a great way to shop local this holiday season and support over 40 participating businesses. You can also shop local at the Downtown Farmers Market’s Christmas Market every weekend until December 23. Find the perfect gift with over 20 additional vendors.

#YegWinterPatios are also back! Celebrate the beginning of the winter patio season and support local by checking out participating patios at local restaurants, cafes and bars across the city.

Outdoor Activities
Enjoy the sights and sounds of YEG Candy Cane Lane, a celebration of holiday lights along 148 Street from 92 to 100 Avenue. YEG Candy Cane Lane starts on December 9 and runs 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. nightly until January 2. During Open Streets Nights on December 10, 17, and 23 from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m., YEG Candy Cane Lane will be closed to traffic and only accessible by foot. If you can’t walk the whole length of Candy Cane Lane, you can book a ticket on Dedicated Accessible Transit Service’s (DATS) ElfMobile to ride along with the sleigh convoy! Tickets prices are the same as for the sleighs, and seats will be available on a first-come first-served basis. See the YEG Candy Cane Lane ticketing details on their website.

Residents can also lace up their skates and experience Edmonton's river valley ice rinks now that Victoria Oval and IceWay, Hawrelak Park shelter 2 ice, and the Rundle Park IceWay have officially opened for the season. For more information about the City’s outdoor skating surfaces, pavilion hours and ice conditions, visit edmonton.ca/skating.

If tobogganing is more your style, there are a number of City-managed toboggan hills in the River Valley. To find the hill closest to you, and for current hill conditions and safety tips, visit edmonton.ca/tobogganing.

Edmonton’s river valley is also home to a large number of cross-country ski trails that are open to everyone, regularly groomed and varied to accommodate all different levels of skiers. The ski trails in Gold Bar, Goldstick and Capilano Parks are ready for you to enjoy! City crews are out in force, packing and grooming trails, so residents are encouraged to check trail options and conditions at edmonton.ca/skitrails.

Play Rangers and Outdoor Adventure Programs offer fun in the snow for all ages! Join free weekly outdoor recreational activities with Play Rangers that focus on children and family participation. Outdoor Adventure Programs provides outdoor programs to community groups, Edmonton and area schools, corporations and the general public. Spend some quality time learning a new skill that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

The City of Edmonton is proud to be a WinterCity, and we encourage Edmontonians to get out in the cold and snow and celebrate our winter identity through the arts, recreation, events, storytelling and inspired design. It’s time to embrace the “brrrr” and enjoy everything Edmonton’s winter season has to offer.

For more information:
EdmontonDowntown.com/events
ExploreEdmonton.com/things-to-do
WinterCityEdmonton.ca/events
Ten Ways to Embrace Winter in Edmonton

Media contact:
Carol Hurst
Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
587-987-7166

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:54 PM
Community Guy

Neat.

Canada Snowboard
1,638 followers
2h • 2 hours ago
Follow

⚡️It’s all happening! Riders are arriving, the construction crew is putting the finishing touches on the jump, and the vibes are going through the roof. We’ll see you in 4 days Edmonton!

https://www.linkedin.com/company/can...WnyPLiMQ%3D%3D

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:24 AM
Community Guy

Anyone attend the FIS big air?

14,000+ reported.

How was the experience?

$10,000,000.00 of economic impact also reported.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mevisham...kqUAnkuQ%3D%3D

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:52 PM
A Better Place

I was there and it was an awesome experience, $32/seat was a steal considering there was hours of entertainment. The weather was quite ideal too - not too cold and minimal wind but also not warm enough for everything to be slushy.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 5:33 PM
Community Guy

Bright Light Skate Night fills City Hall Plaza with wonder and delight
December 13, 2022

Join us in the heart of downtown Edmonton as we celebrate winter and the holiday season at Bright Light Skate Night.

Date: Friday, December 16
Time: 6 to 9 p.m.
Cost: Free

Enjoy free fun for the whole family. Take a twirl on the City Hall ice rink while enjoying beautiful art installations, tree lanterns, firepits, hot chocolate, music, roving performers and more.

Be among the first to see the new art installations, as the works of Canadian artist Ken Hacke and Edmonton lantern creator Dylan Toymaker fill City Hall Plaza with the warm glow of the holiday season. Meet the artists and learn about their inspiration behind their incredible creations.

Also making a return appearance in Churchill Square this December is the popular Happy Wall installation. Created by Copenhagen artist Thomas Dambo, Happy Wall first made its home in the Square from 2018 to 2019. The interactive public art installation is 17 metres long and covered with 1,040 coloured panels of reclaimed wood that can be flipped to create images or phrases.

These exciting artworks will be on display in the Civic Centre from December 16, 2022 to January 30, 2023, with the Happy Wall on site until May 30, 2023.

Downtown Edmonton continues to transform, building a better and more family-friendly gathering place for citizens and visitors. Sir Winston Churchill Square and City Hall Plaza form the core downtown festival and celebration space in central Edmonton. Edmonton’s downtown plays a vital social and economic role in our city and our region. The City of Edmonton remains committed to creating the conditions for a vibrant downtown year round – today and into the future.

City Hall and Sir Winston Churchill Square are easily accessible by bus and LRT. Visit edmonton.ca/transit for route and schedule information.

We hope to see you in the Square!

For more information:
edmonton.ca/BrightLightSkateNight
edmonton.ca/downtown
edmonton.ca/transit

Media contact:
Karen McDonnell
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 9:05 PM
Community Guy

Churchill Sqaure looks great.... oh, wait a second. (too soon?)

https://twitter.com/DECLorg/status/1602753798409445376

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 5:59 PM
Community Guy

Reference ID: Job No 457744269-002
Description: To operate a temporary Special Events Use from December 19, 2022 to January 29, 2023 on the existing paved space on a portion of the Site, adding temporary structures: Snow Maze (22.8 m x 22.8 m), two snow slides (18.2 m x 4.5 m), a temporary ice rink with netting and protection (15.2 m x 30.4 m), Picnic Tables and Fireplaces (22.8 m x 13.7 m), food and beverage (6.0 m x 3.0 m), box office, ice sculptures, temporary washrooms; including back of house area including production trailer (12.1 m long) and generators (Reference: Development Permit number 438169429-002). (Oilers Entertainment Group Fan Park - event Snow Way Out)
Plan 1425251 Blk 9E Lot 7

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 8:00 AM
BANNED

We went to the Festival of trees today at Telus Field.

Only thing missing was the Trees and Heat in the building lol. No Christmas Spirit.

4 Trees decorated downstairs and and overpriced assortments of merchandise being sold at Kiosks.

A Far cry from the Original at the Convention Center back in the day where they had 100s of trees decorated and many affordable booths.

Watered down 101. Anti Christmas 100%

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 8:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Churchill Sqaure looks great.... oh, wait a second. (too soon?)

https://twitter.com/DECLorg/status/1602753798409445376
I'm gonna start a Go Fund me for you. Help Cold get a better Potato Camera.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 3:11 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
We went to the Festival of trees today at Telus Field.

Only thing missing was the Trees and Heat in the building lol. No Christmas Spirit.

4 Trees decorated downstairs and and overpriced assortments of merchandise being sold at Kiosks.

A Far cry from the Original at the Convention Center back in the day where they had 100s of trees decorated and many affordable booths.

Watered down 101. Anti Christmas 100%
It's not at the Convention Centre? Odd locational change. While not my gig, I recall going a few times and being in awe of how many there were.

Hell, the Malcolm Hotel has about 30 of them for the Rotary here and they look amazing.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 3:12 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
I'm gonna start a Go Fund me for you. Help Cold get a better Potato Camera.
Wasn't my shot

You notice that the time/date stamp is missing.

I've got a DSLR, but am too lazy to carry it these days.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:26 PM
Community Guy

Returning to Sir Winston Churchill Square for the first time since 2016, City of Edmonton’s 2022 New Year’s Eve Downtown Festival and Fireworks will include an early fireworks show for families at 8:30 p.m., as well as a fireworks display at midnight. The fireworks shows, which will be approximately 12 minutes in length, will be launched into the skies over the pyramids of City Hall.

The New Year’s Eve fireworks were temporarily relocated to the Alberta Legislature Grounds during LRT construction and refurbishments to Churchill Square; they were then cancelled in both 2020 and 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The evening will include free family-friendly entertainment, skating on the City Hall Plaza ice rink, and enchanting art installations. Programming will be underway from 6:30 p.m. to midnight.

So bundle up, grab your skates and glide the night away to music by DJ Funkasaurus Rex. Let emcee Sissy Thiessen Kootenayoo take you through a wonderful night full of exciting performances including music by Melafrique, Anishinaabe Singers and Dancers, led by Steven O’Chiese, and Métis fiddler Colton Bear from the Bear Country Band. Enjoy captivating fire performances by FloWarrior, and special figure skating performances from Ice Palace Figure Skating Club, along with roving stilt walkers, jugglers, acrobatics, and festive songs from a quartet of Kokopelli singers.

Warm up around a firepit, and purchase a warm meal or snacks from on site food trucks. The Hallway Café will also be open for warm drinks and sweet treats, accompanied by the musical talents of Sticks and Stone Percussion. (Please note that, other than the Hallway Café, City Hall will not be open to the public on New Year’s Eve.)

See and experience the immersive light installations by Vignettes for a unique photo opportunity. Explore the enchanting art installations by Canadian artists Ken Hacke and Dylan Toymaker, as their artworks fill Churchill Square and City Hall Plaza with the warm glow of the season. Let your expressive side loose on the Happy Wall, a 17 metre long interactive public art installation, by Copenhagen artist Thomas Dambo.

Then countdown to the New Year’s Eve fireworks at 8:30 p.m., and with Mayor Amarjeet Sohi at midnight.

Please note: High winds or severe weather may result in the cancellation of some outdoor activities. Visit edmonton.ca/NewYearsEve for the most up-to-date event information.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:28 PM
Community Guy

ICE District New Year’s Eve celebration
Celebrate the arrival of 2023 in ICE District Plaza. Come for the Tailgate Party (6 to 8 p.m.) and stay for the Watch Party (8 to 10:30 p.m.), as the Edmonton Oilers face off against the Winnipeg Jets. After the game, stick around as ICE District Plaza is transformed into a rocking New Year’s Eve party, headlined by country music legend and proud Albertan, Brett Kissel. The celebration will include giant countdown screens and a pyrotechnic display at the stroke of midnight — followed by even more live entertainment.

Visit the ICE District website for full details.
https://icedistrict.com/events/event...eve-2022-12-31

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 7:28 PM
Community Guy

I noticed that Winnipeg is hosting the next Winter City Conference this Feb. Happy to see it continuing on.

http://www.wintercitiesconference.com

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 6:01 PM
Community Guy

Kinda love this.

--

Name a Plow contest winners announced

January 18, 2023

The City of Edmonton’s first ever Name a Plow Contest was a fun way to welcome the winter season. With more than 2,100 entries, Edmontonians made it a great success.

“We appreciate the incredible enthusiasm for this contest, and are very excited to display the winning names on plows throughout the city,” said Mark Beare, Director of Infrastructure Operations. “With so many entries, we’ve decided to name 15 plows this year. Thank you to everyone who submitted such creative and unique ideas.”

The following names have been chosen:
Amarsleet Snowhi
Blizzard of Oz
Blizzard Wizard
Buzz Iceclear
Connor McBlade-It
Ctrl+Salt+Delete
Darth Blader
Fast and Flurrious
Mr. Plow
Peter Parka
Plowasaurus Rex
Plowy McPlowface
Qanniq (“Snowfall” - Inuktitut dialect)
Snow-Be-Gone Kenobi
The Big Leplowski

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 3:09 PM
Community Guy

Most of the boxes in the Downtown are broken, used for garbage and rarely for their intended purpose. Contractors put so much material down these days that I am not sure that they are needed in central areas.

I would not miss them at all.

---
City seeks input on sandbox program for ice control
By Karen Unland

The City of Edmonton wants to know whether it should scale back, maintain, or beef up its community sandbox program, which is the largest of its kind in Canada.

Edmonton spends $900,000 per year to maintain more than 700 sandboxes around the city, offering communities and residents free sand to make icy sidewalks more passable. A scan of other Canadian municipalities revealed that most have fewer large bins in central locations rather than small boxes distributed throughout neighbourhoods. Edmonton’s program, which has been in place for about 30 years, has grown from about 150 boxes five years ago to 769 at last count.

Four options are under consideration, each offering a different way to balance the cost to taxpayers, the capacity of crews to keep the sandboxes full, and the distance people have to travel to pick up sand:

Option 1 would phase out small community sandboxes and replace them with up to eight large bins at eco stations and roadway maintenance yards. The city says this would save $900,000 per year, which would be put toward other snow and ice control services.
Option 2 would reduce and redistribute the sandboxes, putting 30 to 100 large bins at central locations such as transit centres, recreation centres, and recycling depots within a 10-minute drive for most residents. This would save about $800,000, which would go into other snow and ice control.
Option 3 would maintain the status quo, keeping about 700 boxes around the city but redistributing them more evenly, so they would be within a five-minute drive for most residents. The cost would remain around $900,000.
Option 4 would increase the number of boxes to about 900, giving newer neighbourhoods at least one box. This would add $235,000 to the budget, bringing the total to more than $1.1 million per year.
An online engagement tool allowing you to rank the options will be available until March 7. You can also share your ideas online or at a series of pop-up events:

Feb. 15, 5pm to 8pm: Kinsmen Sports Centre
Feb. 22, 2pm to 7pm: Orange Hub
Feb. 23, 5pm to 8pm: Clareview Community Recreation Centre
Feb. 28, 5pm to 8pm: Mill Woods Edmonton Public Library
City crews refill the boxes after other snow clearing has been completed, with a goal to do so within 13 days of a snowfall.

Image: A screenshot of the map of sandbox locations maintained by the city from the open data portal.
https://edmonton.taproot.news/briefs...eid=b81cde227f

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 5:23 PM
A Better Place

Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to them scrapping the sandbox program all together. I never had one nearby and just buy my own sand when needed. Save $900k right there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton