HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I see that Pet Valu has set up shop between Dollarama and the organic grocery at Confusion Corner. They're filling a space that has been vacant for at least a couple of years.
Good to see use of the space, but that can't help the village pet out at all.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 7:25 PM

^ Oh yeah, forgot about that place. Sucks for them having a big box right next door.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 2:07 PM
BANNED

What about moving to the Exchange? There is no pet store around the downtown.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 5:18 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
What about moving to the Exchange? There is no pet store around the downtown.
What about putting a pet supply store in the Broadway-Assiniboine area?

There are many many apt. blocks there and to purchase items besides pet food I had to go to a dedicated store elsewhere.

Lots of cat and dog owners downtown.

There must be a zoning law preventing a pet store from operating downtown or something. It's just kind of strange that there is none.

Used to be a pet store right in Eaton Place before people got upset about the puppy and kitten mills that supplied them.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
Anytime Fitness is going in on the second floor of Shoppers.
Great news as already mentioned, the outdoor area is a nice addition for a gym, although somewhat impractical for our climate, we'll see what it's actually used for We do have several month's of the year where it will be kind of cool., still a nice touch when it can be used.

Anyway nice it's been leased out.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 10:00 PM

Update: Anytime Fitness was originally hoping for September but likely won't be open until December now.

^Agreed Cyro, very nice that it's leased now. And thrilled that it's actually something very useful that will get a lot of traffic, and not just an office or something.

I really would like the city close off the entrance to the Safeway parking lot that runs through the plaza between LC and Starbucks. There's no need for it whatsoever and there's gonna be even more people walking around there now with the gym.

It's also crazy to me (looking through old streetview images) how little has changed on Osborne since 2009. The only "development" has been the Shoppers expansion, the next biggest change was the Papa George's > Cornerstone reno. Nothing has changed, other than a few stores/restos moving around. It's really shocking actually.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 12:11 AM
BANNED

Exactly, sad huh?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 5:48 AM

^Yeah. I think it's clear the success going on in the Exchange right now is really hurting Osborne. Exchange is the hip place to set up shop now, which is bizarre considering all the residential development in the Village lately. The OV BIZ needs to be more proactive in attracting new business to the area. The new streetscaping could (have) be(en) a big boost to help it out, but if what we got this year is the extent of it... they did a terrible job.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 10:40 AM
BANNED

I think the redevelopment of the OVI (is it proceeding? Too much secrecy) in the grand scheme of the area is a disappointment. Similar neighborhoods in other cities have seen great transformations, while OV really has not changed very much.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:
I think the redevelopment of the OVI (is it proceeding? Too much secrecy) in the grand scheme of the area is a disappointment. Similar neighborhoods in other cities have seen great transformations, while OV really has not changed very much.
I haven't seen anyone working on the Osborne Village Motor Inn in weeks. There was a guy painting over graffiti, but I haven't seen trades going in/out in some time. Disappointing, because it makes for a very big dead area.

The Desart location sitting empty for so long is also not a good sign.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 3:35 AM

Quote:
It's really that stretch from Stradbrook to Confusion Corner where I'd have expected to see something happen. It's lined with a bunch of lacklustre single storey buildings, many of which are run down and old. In other words, the perfect candidates for redevelopment with even such modest things that would improve the streetscape dramatically, like simple 3-5 storey apartment buildings with commercial space at the base. Yet nothing happens, and the one project going on along that strip, the OVI, seems to be stalled.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 3:54 PM

From what I hear, most of the landlords on the strip are of slum times past, and have no care to do anything (happy just making what they are now with no work) or are waiting for some sort of rich pay day. I mean, the shopping block across from the Toad is still vacant and boarded up on the third floor, not even insulated! Stupid, I'm sure it'd we swiped up as offices in a second.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 5:32 AM
BANNED

120 Scott St, 2 commercial + 6 residences
http://villagehouse.ca/

from http://sputnikarchitecture.com

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 3:36 AM

^^Decent infill. I like the wood siding and angled roof otherwise it's just a white stucco box tho. I'd like to see more projects with wood finishing on this side of the village; there s couple nice ones on the far side closer to Wellington!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:23 AM

The two projects on Wardlaw close to Donald are well under way. Interesting the "Synergy" project looks to only be on one lot, hopefully they are planning a second building and not just a massive yard to the east of it.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
120 Scott St, 2 commercial + 6 residences
http://villagehouse.ca/
Interesting that both commercial units have been sold. Curious to know what's going in there.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The two projects on Wardlaw close to Donald are well under way. Interesting the "Synergy" project looks to only be on one lot, hopefully they are planning a second building and not just a massive yard to the east of it.
It looks from the picture on the sign like there'll be two buildings next to one another. Not sure why they're building them one at a time vs. together.

Both look to be rental. Nice to see those underway. The giant red building kitty-corner (formerly an MMA gym) is now vacant. It'll be interesting to see what if anything takes its place.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 12:16 AM

^Yeah I was thinking the same thing, building can't be worth too much... hopefully it getstorn down and something better goes up.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:18 AM

this lovely old guy on wellington cres. bit the dust today:

was walking by last night and was fortunate to snap a couple shots of it.. no pics of the rubble-filled pit, though.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:25 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan