HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 1:54 PM

Update

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 5:24 AM
BANNED

Wow, it looks just like the renderings! Incredible!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:17 PM

About time that happened.

The renders usually lie about the final product, making it easily more beautiful or atrocious. But this is by far, the best example of a good render come to life.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:26 PM
Loma Prieta quakesurvivor

icicle and louvers? heated? wonder how much of winter the sidewalk will be closed? the canteliever and issue of icicles makes me think of the logenberger basket building....

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 12:23 PM
BANNED

Would someone be kind enough to take some pictures of the reopened South Street Bridge? The local news channels haven't given me much to look at, and the Inquirer doesn't have a single shot of the bridge aside from the celebration...of course lol

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 7:14 AM

Great project.Its really a huge expansion.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Would someone be kind enough to take some pictures of the reopened South Street Bridge? The local news channels haven't given me much to look at, and the Inquirer doesn't have a single shot of the bridge aside from the celebration...of course lol
There are a bunch of links off this post with more pics: http://philly.brownstoner.com/2010/1...eopening_1.php

Keep in mind the bridge isn't fully done yet, I think I read somewhere that the ornamental light fixtures and architectural decor and whatnot are to be wrapped up by June.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 8:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

I've got to say, as much as they were trying to avoid it, the redo looks dreary as hell. Like crossing the Dan Ryan in Chicago. Looks incredibly hostile to pedestrians, not to mention everything is cold banal concrete. I wouldn't feel good walking through there.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 9:22 PM

What is the latest with this project? Spectrum is being demolished. Are they just building a huge sports bar and nothing else until the economy improves?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 9:47 PM

Updates from today.

Pearson McGonigal.

New residence hall

International House

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 1:56 AM

Ha, thanks for the compliment...Britney.

It does look handsome enough, I just still can't get over how relentless the walls on the sides look...for 4 blocks.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 2:33 AM
Show me the blueprints

This is a great looking project and well deserved for Philly. However, what's with the fins? Can this design fad go the way of the dodo already. And these fins are WAY over the top in scale. Everything looks very high quality here, but I suspect and fear that the fin element will not age gracefully.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyscooter View Post
icicle and louvers? heated? wonder how much of winter the sidewalk will be closed? the canteliever and issue of icicles makes me think of the logenberger basket building....
Woah, so they aren't putting glass over those? You're right, this can cause falling ice.

It's hard to believe last time I walked down Broad St, they were just getting ready to demo the buildings that were there. Now, there's a nearly complete product.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 4:41 AM

Bellagio meets the Schyulkill?

Well, since no one else has posted the pics yet (or in case you hadn't seen), the latest idea for our fair river:

for more info: http://www.watermagic.us/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 5:00 AM
BANNED

That's a joke, right...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 5:48 PM

While so many people have been hating on the fountains, I like the idea. It adds interest, attempts to hide the expressway and, in my opinion, makes the area more beautiful. I will support it only if it is financially supported by a private entity (ie. no tax money).

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 1:08 AM
TL;DR

The projection component is very tacky, but the string of fountains is quite beautiful.

My only concern is the wastage of water. You have a ton of fountains, and each one will be turning thousands of gallons of water into vapor every few minutes. Where does that water come from, and is it worth the cost?

A row of fountains would also create quite a bit of spray towards either side of the Schuylkill, depending on the wind direction.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 2:13 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Well the proposal would be using Schuylkill River water...which raises its own issues.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 3:08 AM
TL;DR

Oh. Yeah, I wouldn't want to vaporize the water of any major urban river.

I assumed the water would be coming from city water mains, or from rain barrels or something.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 9:51 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

This week's Temple News mention that Temple's asking for $30 million for "the refurbishment and renovation of an existing building for the Honors College". Does anyone know which building that would be?

A few weeks ago, I got this great idea that 1700 North Broad, which according to the Property Assessment office has about 150,000 sf of "improved" space, could be renovated and repurposed into a new main school store. The structure has four stories and (I'm assuming) a basement; it would be fitted so that

Basement--House/Dormwares
Street--Alumni Gear, Clothing, Conveniences
Second--Tyler equipment, Starbucks
Third--Barnes & Noble
Fourth--Textbooks

in far more space than the itsy-bitsy space currently in the SAC.

1700 North Broad is right on the Southern Gateway, the main entrance to campus coming up from Center City. Furthermore, it's right at the nexus where the Dorm Row of Cecil B. Moore meets the two major north-south axes through campus--Broad Street and Liacouras Walk. It's one of the major campus hubs and a perfect place to put the main school store.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development