HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 5:32 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
When will NYC get a new tallest?

Inspired by the "When Will Chicago Get A New Tallest" thread, I pose the same question for a different city.

When will NYC get a new tallest? I think this question is interesting for NYC in particular. For most North American cities, the question of a new tallest comes down to one of two factors: economics, and whether there is an airport impeding further height.

But NYC –perhaps uniquely in North America– has a third factor: symbolic. NYC is the only city to ever lose a supertall (and to an attack nonetheless) and the replacement 1WTC being the tallest in the city is important to a lot of people (This is emphatically not the case for architecture nerds like us on this forum, who see the height as arbitrary and the design as underwhelming and bland).

This means that whenever (i do think its when, not if) a project taller than 1776 feet is proposed, anyone who may oppose it for any reason will be able to drum up support by playing the "never forget 9/11" card for decades.. possibly forever.

This is somewhat tragically ironic, isnt it? Because unlike pretty much every other city in North America, a new tallest could be viable in NYC, in terms of both economics and aeronautic navigation.

So: When will NYC get a new tallest?

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Last edited by jbermingham123; Nov 28, 2023 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 12:49 PM

Yeah, that has fuck all to do with why there isn't a new tallest yet.

There hasn't been a new tallest yet because building a skyscraper over 1,776 ft is extremely expensive and finding a place where the air rights work out in nyc is hard.

Seriously 1 WTC cost almost $4 billion dollars, and Silverstein expects 2 WTC to be even more expensive.

But honestly I don't think we're far away from a new tallest, there are a lot of locations where it could happen. Hudson Yards phase 2, the PABT, the old ABC HQ, etc are all possibilities. Ofc they could always end up smaller as well

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:01 PM

I don't think your theory has any weight. Cannot imagine someone opposing a tower bc of 1 WTC symbolic height. There are always plenty of NIMBYs and anti-everythings who oppose tall towers, but the 1 WTC height won't be an issue.

My best guess is that a new tallest tower will be in Hudson Yards or around Grand Central. Billionaires Row and Lower Manhattan are also possibilities. But there's nothing imminent.

Midtown should have a new tallest shortly, however, with 175 Park Ave.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Midtown should have a new tallest shortly, however, with 175 Park Ave.
As a "roof height" person, I will consider 175 Park to be a new tallest for the city, and indeed the entire nation.

Cuz that stick up on top of 1WTC is dumb.

So from my perspective, the answer to the thread question is "pretty soon!!"

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:18 PM

Does anyone who pays attention to building heights actually believe that 1 WTC is the tallest building in NY, just because of its ugly antenna? Isn't it like only 5th or 6th tallest by now?

And I don't think the vast majority of Americans have any clue that its antenna extends to 1,776 feet, much less make the "symbolic" association or care about it.

If a building that actually exceeds the 1,776' height was proposed, I'm sure there would be vocal groups of idiots who claim that we're pooping all over the grave of George Washington himself, even though limiting the height of a skyscraper seems pretty damn un-American.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Does anyone who pays attention to building heights actually believe that 1 WTC is the tallest building in NY, just because of its ugly antenna? Isn't it like only 5th or 6th tallest by now?

And I don't think the vast majority of Americans have any clue that its antenna extends to 1,776 feet, much less make the "symbolic" association or care about it.

If a building that actually exceeds the 1,776' height was proposed, I'm sure there would be vocal groups of idiots who claim that we're pooping all over the grave of George Washington himself, even though limiting the height of a skyscraper seems pretty damn un-American.
One Vanderbilt looks taller to me now, but until that was topped off 1 WTC did look like the tallest building IMO.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post

So: When will NYC get a new tallest?
I don't think anyone is anxious to build taller than 1 WTC, so no time soon. If it happens it will be by "accident" and probably won't get a lot of attention.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
One Vanderbilt looks taller to me now, but until that was topped off 1 WTC did look like the tallest building IMO.
But aren't the 3 big central park skinny-minnies taller than 1 WTC?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
But aren't the 3 big central park skinny-minnies taller than 1 WTC?
I think they are if you don't include the 1 WTC spire, but they don't look taller. They're also too far apart to compare in the same view.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 5:59 PM
DENNAB

While I'm not sure whether it was a vision or not there was the Park Central Tower floated around a ways back which was a building near Central Park. Looked to be 1,800 - 2k range.

Given the low chances / success rate of such extreme skyscrapers it may be a while before anyone builds a taller building anywhere in the globe let alone right here in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
As a "roof height" person, I will consider 175 Park to be a new tallest for the city, and indeed the entire nation.

Cuz that stick up on top of 1WTC is dumb.

So from my perspective, the answer to the thread question is "pretty soon!!"

The main roof of 175 Park under the parapet and highest occupied floor is lower than the Central Park Tower but visually will be a little more imposing.

Make of that what you will.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 11:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The Park Lane Hotel parcel could yield something very large if a market similar to 220 CPS or CPT is desired. It is one of the best situated Central Park locations that may be redeveloped in time.

175 Park will be the tallest to the roof once that rises. If Affirmation Tower ever gets going, that could be 1663 ft of goodness.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 11:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The Park Lane Hotel parcel could yield something very large if a market similar to 220 CPS or CPT is desired. It is one of the best situated Central Park locations that may be redeveloped in time.

175 Park will be the tallest to the roof once that rises. If Affirmation Tower ever gets going, that could be 1663 ft of goodness.
I got married there so I will hate to see that one go.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 12:14 AM
Plenary pleasures.

After Chicago does.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 1:08 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
After Chicago does.
While I agree a new tallest for either city seems like a long shot, if history has taught me anything people are overly pessimistic. I remember when people swore that NYC and even the US would never see supertalls again after 9/11 and yet here we are.

Not getting my hopes up but still...

If 175 Park and Tribune East both got built that's all I could ever ask.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 8:07 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
While I agree a new tallest for either city seems like a long shot, if history has taught me anything people are overly pessimistic. I remember when people swore that NYC and even the US would never see supertalls again after 9/11 and yet here we are.

Not getting my hopes up but still...

If 175 Park and Tribune East both got built that's all I could ever ask.
My comment was clearly a joke in reference to the similar thread about a new tallest in Chicago. Both of these threads are disappointing.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 8:58 PM

"When will DC get a new tallest?"

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 1:32 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
"When will DC get a new tallest?"
Jokes aside, wasn't there a plan for a new tallest in Arlington or something a ways back?

Quote:
My comment was clearly a joke in reference to the similar thread about a new tallest in Chicago. Both of these threads are disappointing.
Why disappointing?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 1:44 AM

NYC is not worried about a new tallest. We conquered that title 100 years ago.

We are focused on getting to 100 supertalls in Manhattan.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 3:12 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New York Lion View Post
NYC is not worried about a new tallest. We conquered that title 100 years ago.

We are focused on getting to 100 supertalls in Manhattan.
Just hopefully less of those skinny abominations.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 5:26 PM
DENNAB

100 supertalls is extremely far fetched considering many get downsized / never happen.

40-50 would satisfy me. NY could ideally compete with Dubai or Shenzhen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions