HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 3:33 PM

USA TODAY | Beyond South Beach: Miami's downtown booms

Beyond South Beach: Miami's downtown booms
by Nancy Trejos, USA TODAY 12:43 p.m. EST March 6, 2015

^ Miami Art Museum

^ Ziff Ballet Opera House

MIAMI—At 6:30 p.m. on a Wednesday, 55 people are locked in a downward dog pose in a downtown pavilion by Biscayne Bay.

It doesn't matter that it's uncharacteristically cold and rainy. Instructor Paul Richardson is committed to keeping the yoga class going for the full hour and 15 minutes.

I am on my way to Epic Miami, a Kimpton Hotel, for a drink. But the price for this yoga class is better than any happy hour deal at the bar. It's free. So I grab a yoga mat.

The thrice weekly yoga classes have become a tradition in downtown Miami. Since the first class Sept. 12, 2005, until last week, 123,631 people have done planks and Warrior poses at the park, says Tim Schmand, executive director of Bayfront Park.

"At the first class we had eight people, and at the most recent class we had 120," he says.

If anything is a sign of urban progress, it's yoga classes filling up. The success of the Bayfront Park yoga classes reflects the success of all of downtown Miami. In the last decade, downtown has gone from boom to bust to boom again.

"It's from night and day," Schmand says. "If you go back to 2005, downtown was just beginning with a nascent residential population. We went through the frenzy of 2002 to 2008 and then the crash. Now there's been a resurgence."

Downtown Miami was traditionally a place where people flocked to by day for work and abandoned at night. In recent years, in part because of the infusion of foreign investment, 23,000 condos have been built, doubling the population to about 80,000. Many of those new residents are young professionals between the ages of 25 and 40, says Javier Betancourt, deputy director of the Miami Downtown Development Authority.

"They like to shop and to dine and to go to bars and to go to entertainment centers, and that has brought a new energy to downtown," he says.

The number of restaurants downtown has almost doubled in the last five years to 360, he says. Hotels such as YVE Hotel Miami have opened, as has the Perez Art Museum Miami and the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County.

And there's more to come. Billions of dollars' worth of hotel, retail and entertainment developments are in the works, including the Brickell CitiCentre anchored by Saks Fifth Ave and Miami Worldcenter, complete with the 1,800-room Marriott Marquis World Convention Center Hotel.

"We're more than a beach," says William Talbert, president and CEO of the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau. "People also want to get out and explore other neighborhoods."

I start my own exploring at the construction site of the SLS Lux Brickell, a luxury hotel and residential development by hotelier and nightlife mogul Sam Nazarian. The property, set to open next year, will have 84 designer suites and 450 condos.

Outside the sales office is the more than 10-foot tall bronze sculpture called "Male Torso" by renowned Colombian artist Fernando Botero. It's been exhibited in Paris, London, Tokyo and other major capitals of the world. If that's any indication of what's to come, the SLS and its surroundings will certainly live up to the lux name.

"This is the New York City of South Florida," I overhear a real estate agent tell prospective customers about the neighborhood.

What makes downtown Miami seem more New York than South Beach is the public transportation. Getting around by foot is made easy by the Metromover, an elevated electric bus system that loops around downtown. It too is free.

"That's cool isn't it?" says Steve Heal, who is visiting from Wilton Manors, Fla. "That makes for a real nice ride."

I take the Metromover to the Perez Art Museum, which opened its campus in Museum Park in 2013. Its 200,000 square feet of galleries and outdoor space contain works by Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, and Willem de Kooning. The building itself, by the Pritzker prize-winning Swiss architecture firm Herzog & de Meuron, is an impressive work of art.

The art museum will be joined by the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science and a city park next year.

To explore more of the arts scene, I head to the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts. The center has six stages, including the 2,400-seat Ziff Ballet Opera House, a new restaurant called Brava!, and a café housed in the historic Carnival Tower. Performances include everything from drama to jazz to cabaret to comedy.

"We really like to see our center play the role of town square," says Scott Shiller, executive vice president of the center. "We want to make sure all members of the community feel welcome here."

Richardson, the yoga instructor, certainly feels welcome on "the mainland," as he calls it. He moved to the Brickell neighborhood after living in South Beach for 19 years.

"I love having access to the metrorail and all the free local transportation," he says. "The restaurants and nightlife are amazing over here and we have the Arsht Center for the Performing Arts and the new Perez Art Museum and soon the new science museum."

A few of those restaurants are actually amazing. Celebrity chefs such as Daniel Boulud are seeing potential downtown. Lunch at his db Bistro Moderne includes a decadent sirloin burger stuffed with foie gras and black truffle.

For dinner, I try Moye, a new Italian restaurant in Brickell. Chef Pietro Vardeu's menu showcases Puglian cuisine. The Puglia region of southern Italy, I learn, is known for olive oil and burrata cheese. Of course, I have to try both, and they are divine. Cacio e pepe, a simple pasta dish made with cheese and pepper, is just as satisfying.

For a nightcap, I head back to my hotel, the Epic, where my room has a view of the famous I. M. Pei-designed Miami Tower. Zuma, a Japanese restaurant and bar, is filled with beautiful food, beautiful cocktails and beautiful people.

Parked outside are not just fancy cars but fancy yachts.

"We're seeing this complete turnaround in fortunes downtown," says local historian Paul George. "It's a monster transformation."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...boom/24136609/

* PS: I expect a million views and no comments !

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 4:17 PM

For the past 10-15 years, DT Miami has never really gotten much respect. Sure if was buildings lots of condos, but they were just part time residences and the downtown itself left a lot to be desired from an urban perspective (auto-centric, not always pedestrian focused, little retail, etc), was its general reputation in urban circles. Despite it's constant boom and growing population, is has never really been lauded the way the DTs of Seattle, Portland, and even Denver or Minneapolis have been.

It seems like that reputations is slowly changing. It will be interesting to see if in about 5-10 years, DT Miami will be regarded as one of the nation's most vibrant urban spaces.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 4:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The best thing for the region as a whole is its geographical constraints. Essentially, it has sprawled to the max, and now, the only way to build is up. Be it medium or high density, the region as a whole will become denser. Theres no stopping it too. Beyond Miami, many cities are experience quality developments in the residential sector. Brickell on the other hand is experiencing projects that are impressive architecturally, but are also very large at the same time. Things like World Center just to name one will be one of the largest projects in the nation, next to Hudson Yards. Last two months have seen several towers over 750 feet proposed. So the region as a whole will also be one of the tallest when we factor in every development in Miami-Dade.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 7:49 PM
Never Dell

When buildings go up with more homes than parking spaces, and more of them don't have parking podiums, the pedestrian environment keeps improving, and (the easier part) retail continues to grow including streetside in addition to the megaprojects, it'll be considered more urban. Of course some of that reputation will happen due to size alone.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
When buildings go up with more homes than parking spaces, and more of them don't have parking podiums, the pedestrian environment keeps improving, and (the easier part) retail continues to grow including streetside in addition to the megaprojects, it'll be considered more urban. Of course some of that reputation will happen due to size alone.
A 4th new highrise condo is going up right now with no parking at all. The parking issue in general is tightly linked to the over riding mass transit deficit. Bay Link to the beach will help if that ever gets built. Tri-rails coastal link linking Downtown with the coastal density up to Ft Lauderdale and Palm Beach will help as well.
On the retail front I think they would be better off focusing it on main retail streets rather than 3 sides of every building in retail. Probably would be better with retail on a main street frontage and livable space (maybe townhomes?) on the other frontages rather than empty storefronts (its hard to rent out the random side street frontages).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 9:23 PM
Never Dell

No parking? I'm skeptical. Guessing it's tied to a garage next door or something?

Of course if it's progress, then great.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Well part of the problem with Miami is that it sits on a Oolite Aquifer which is basically like a sponge so under ground parking is very expensive. You dig about 15 feet down and water erupts like a fire hydrant hence the parking podiums on skyscrapers through out the city.

Miami isn't like other cities where you can drill a few feet and hit solid bedrock.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Geology

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 11:40 PM
Never Dell

I understand that it's a problem. But with fewer spaces, shared garages, and other methods it would be much less so. Still, even the most understandable problem can still diminish urbanity, so the more it can be improved upon the better.

Where is this zero-parking example?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 12:03 AM

^ There is Centro in the heart of downtown under construction now:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=212169

and the Zoning has changed with the Miami21 plan where parking spaces have been reduced.
http://www.miami21.org/

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 12:27 AM
Babylon falling

As a native San Diegan I must say I'm jealous. I don't know why more 400 to 500 foot towers aren't penciling out in our downtown and getting built like in MIA. I guess being the receptacle for Brazilian, Russian, and now Chinese capital is helpful. Why Chinese money is starting to go all the way to Miami and bypassing the west coast I don't know maybe state income tax?

Hotel construction seems to be on fire as well. Mhays maybe you can shed some light on why Miami has way more condo starts in its core than SD/LA combined why do these projects continue to pencil out there?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:47 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
^ There is Centro in the heart of downtown under construction now:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=212169

and the Zoning has changed with the Miami21 plan where parking spaces have been reduced.
http://www.miami21.org/
It looks like the requirements are still very high, except for residential uses within 1,000 feet of a rail station where there are no requirements. Otherwise even in the densest zone you can't cover the whole lot (!) and need basically 1.6 spaces per unit, with a potential 30% decrease, which gets you to 1.1 or so, still very high for an urban district. Or that's how I read it based on 15 minutes.

The "Centro" project has valet parking, a setback, and a driveway with port cochere. It looks moderately urban but wouldn't be built in some cities. The building is subject to the same requirements listed above, which include the ability to put any required parking offsite.

I'm also surprised that there's a limit of 150 dwelling units per acre except in the very densest urban center zone. A typical woodframe should often exceed that depending on unit size etc. That must increase housing costs...developers are incentivized to build larger units, because building smaller ones would mean less square footage.

The code is a standard template. I'm trying to understand some details and found the same cryptic language used by other cities. (Just about any city borrows land use code, building code, any other ordinances, etc., from a base template and passes amendments to that vs. writing it from scratch, so nothing unusual there.)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:58 AM
Never Dell

Mello, I'd start with the ability to build tall near waterfronts, which California allows just about nowhere...a bit of San Diego, a bit of San Francisco, Downtown Long Beach...

Not being in a seismic zone must be a factor. Hurricanes don't help, but those are an issue for houses too, so maybe it nets in Miami's favor?

Culture? Both cities have an influx from countries with a lot of highrises, but Miami maybe more. Same with the local culture.

That's a lot of guessing. The waterfront point has to be a big part though.

As for Chinese money, it's coming to Seattle to a growing extent, partially because one route to Canada just got cut off. I suspect it goes to California too but it's less noticed because the normal inflow of various nationalities is higher.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 3:26 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
As for Chinese money, it's coming to Seattle to a growing extent, partially because one route to Canada just got cut off. I suspect it goes to California too but it's less noticed because the normal inflow of various nationalities is higher.
High profile Chinese money is flowing into San Francisco like gangbusters. Our soon-to-be second tallest building is being financed by Chinese investors, for example. I would say that Chinese money is coming to Miami in addition to the West Coast and other locales. There's a lot of money at play, and more every year.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 1:32 PM

Quote:
The "Centro" project has valet parking, a setback, and a driveway with port cochere. It looks moderately urban but wouldn't be built in some cities. The building is subject to the same requirements listed above, which include the ability to put any required parking offsite.
It does not have a setback or a driveway with a port cochere. Thats just the closed off sidewalk during construction. The valet/cars-to-go are parked where parallel parking used to be.

Here were other buildings with no parking. Loft 1 and 2 built next door to public garages. People can choose to pay for spots in that garage or not. Much better solution than putting a spot for each unit in the building:
Loft 2:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7761...B2gJvjcLtA!2e0

Loft 1:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...96f271ddad4f65

MyBrickell (still U/C in this pic. People could rent a spot in the neighboring condo if they wished. The neighboring building realized they had more parking than they actually needed):
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7688...EZjxd-5bRg!2e0

Here is the ground floor, those cars are parked in a parallel parking lane, they have those in most cities:

Last edited by dave8721; Mar 13, 2015 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:55 PM
Never Dell

Ok, that's much better.

But it's still not covering the whole lot. Great project though.

Last edited by mhays; Mar 13, 2015 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
As a native San Diegan I must say I'm jealous. I don't know why more 400 to 500 foot towers aren't penciling out in our downtown and getting built like in MIA. I guess being the receptacle for Brazilian, Russian, and now Chinese capital is helpful. Why Chinese money is starting to go all the way to Miami and bypassing the west coast I don't know maybe state income tax?

Hotel construction seems to be on fire as well. Mhays maybe you can shed some light on why Miami has way more condo starts in its core than SD/LA combined why do these projects continue to pencil out there?
Here is the main reason why. Miami doesn't have their Int'l airport within spitting distance of downtown like San Diego does. This puts severe height restrictions on buildings.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:19 PM
SD/OC

^Very true. In SD, rather than build a 90 story building, you would instead have to build 2 45-story buildings. We are actually seeing this play out right now where the first of 2 45-story buildings (twin towers) was just topping out. San Diego has many "twin tower" developments...I suspect mainly due to the height restrictions. I am not a developer, but I would think that having to build 2 towers instead of 1 may be a bit more expensive...not sure.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad635 View Post
Here is the main reason why. Miami doesn't have their Int'l airport within spitting distance of downtown like San Diego does. This puts severe height restrictions on buildings.

Miami does have its airport's flight paths above downtown, but it is a tad further away. Either way there are height restrictions in Miami.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:13 PM

Quote:

Chinese investment dollars are making headlines in LA, too. There are currently two $1+ billion Chinese funded megaprojects under construction in DTLA as well as another one planned for Beverly Hills.

Last edited by bobcat; Mar 13, 2015 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 6:06 PM
BANNED

Downtown/Brickell is still decidedly non-vibrant... for 80,000 claimed residents, many of whom are "young professionals between the ages of 25 and 40", that is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions