HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Let me address some of your fallacies, as a resident (in Russian Hill/Pac Heights/Nob Hill nonetheless...yes I'm at the technical corner of all 3).

1) Russian Hill, the hill itself, is already covered in 10-30 story high rises. I used to stay in one on the 19th floor.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, as I never addressed the current built environment, and am well aware of the current built environment.

Are you saying that "NIMBYs will allow highrises in Russian Hill because there are already 60-year old highrises on Russian Hill?" If that's your line of reasoning, we'll certainly agree to disagree. It's probably much more likely there will be no highrises exactly because there are already highrises, for obvious reasons.
Quote:
2) Van Ness/Mid-Market/SoMA are downtown adjacent or downtown convenient, but are anywhere from 1-2 miles from "downtown", which is typically Union Square going into the financial district.
We're arguing semantics here. These are all downtown or downtown-adjacent areas, already have generous zoning, and are already heavily built out (or being built out). I already addressed all this. You aren't going to stuff hundreds of thousands of additional people in a few downtown-adjacent blocks.
Quote:
3. Hunters Point and Candlestick are part of a HUGE redevelopment plan that will play out over decades.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here either, and don't get the relevance. Obviously there will be something built in Candlestick, but it won't be high density highrises, for the (rather obvious) reasons previously listed. No sufficient context, transit, neighboring density, or political will. You might as well put towers in Burlingame, it makes about as much sense.
Quote:
What's so different about that in this day and age and all of the major housing developments ALL OVER metro New York?
The NY area is highly NIMBY and difficult to build anything too, so in that respect, they're very similar.

The built form is somewhat different, though, because the region has always been centered around high density multifamily along heavy rail, high capacity transit. SF doesn't have this, except for BART, and so isn't likely to orient itself in this manner. You would need a couple thousand miles of BART, relocation of much of the Bay Area population, and destruction of huge swaths of the region's core.

And there are some cultural and economic factors at play. SF probably isn't going to built quite in that manner, because, at the end of the day, that isn't how SF rich live. Even in the city proper, the ideal is the Pacific Heights/Sea Cliff/Noe Valley/St. Francis Wood/Presidio Heights type single family home neighborhoods somewhat moreso than apartment buildings. Yes, there are exceptions.

A good illustration would be looking at the densest residential neighborhoods in each city. The densest neighborhoods in NYC are the Upper East and Upper West Sides, which also happen to have the biggest concentrations of wealth, and by a longshot. In SF, I believe the densest residential neighborhoods are Chinatown, Tenderloin and Mission, none of which have significant wealth. This illustrates that, while SF is both rich and dense, these two factors are not usually positively correlated. In NYC, they are not always positively correlated, but it's more the rule than the exception.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 4:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
Paris

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 15th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th arrondissements
59.92 km² 23.135 sq. mi
Population: 1,612,054 people
69,680/sq. mi

Thanks for the work. I was actually wondering about a Paris comparison. This is really cool.

That density is incredible.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 8:32 AM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, as I never addressed the current built environment, and am well aware of the current built environment.

Are you saying that "NIMBYs will allow highrises in Russian Hill because there are already 60-year old highrises on Russian Hill?" If that's your line of reasoning, we'll certainly agree to disagree. It's probably much more likely there will be no highrises exactly because there are already highrises, for obvious reasons.

We're arguing semantics here. These are all downtown or downtown-adjacent areas, already have generous zoning, and are already heavily built out (or being built out). I already addressed all this. You aren't going to stuff hundreds of thousands of additional people in a few downtown-adjacent blocks.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here either, and don't get the relevance. Obviously there will be something built in Candlestick, but it won't be high density highrises, for the (rather obvious) reasons previously listed. No sufficient context, transit, neighboring density, or political will. You might as well put towers in Burlingame, it makes about as much sense.

The NY area is highly NIMBY and difficult to build anything too, so in that respect, they're very similar.

The built form is somewhat different, though, because the region has always been centered around high density multifamily along heavy rail, high capacity transit. SF doesn't have this, except for BART, and so isn't likely to orient itself in this manner. You would need a couple thousand miles of BART, relocation of much of the Bay Area population, and destruction of huge swaths of the region's core.

And there are some cultural and economic factors at play. SF probably isn't going to built quite in that manner, because, at the end of the day, that isn't how SF rich live. Even in the city proper, the ideal is the Pacific Heights/Sea Cliff/Noe Valley/St. Francis Wood/Presidio Heights type single family home neighborhoods somewhat moreso than apartment buildings. Yes, there are exceptions.

A good illustration would be looking at the densest residential neighborhoods in each city. The densest neighborhoods in NYC are the Upper East and Upper West Sides, which also happen to have the biggest concentrations of wealth, and by a longshot. In SF, I believe the densest residential neighborhoods are Chinatown, Tenderloin and Mission, none of which have significant wealth. This illustrates that, while SF is both rich and dense, these two factors are not usually positively correlated. In NYC, they are not always positively correlated, but it's more the rule than the exception.

I generally agree with you and I think some clarification is in order. I'm talking possibilities and you're moreso talking current feasibilities. Two very different things. Your tone is that of expert status, but while you know a lot, you're missing a few details about San Francisco that can only really come from someone who lives here, which you do not.

A couple things to note. The population and demographics of San Francisco are quite rapidly changing, and this includes a changing of the guard in the upper stratospheres of income and influence. People coming in are generally more amicable to see increased density and greater high rise living. Some of the first new high rises in the Pac Heights area in decades are actually under construction now, though I'd classify them more as mid-rises (10-15 stories). Many of the city's new rich are tech executives or VC guys. It works in their interest to have better transit and more housing available where their workers want to live (San Francisco and other islands of urbanity in the Bay Area).

Also, true, you can't pack a few hundred thousand people into a few city blocks. Nobody said otherwise. However, when it comes to SOMA, Mid-Market, Civic Center, and Tenderloin are a bit larger in land area than you're giving them credit. SOMA currently has a density around 20k ppsm, with a ton of vacant lots, abandoned buildings, and buildings otherwise ripe to be redeveloped/densified. There is a couple of square miles of land here at least. Just increasing density to 80k ppsm could add 100,000 people, at least, in the central part of town. Given today's wealth and mix of uses needed, this will require some high rises. But unfortunately, new zoning plans for SOMA are mostly low-rise throughout, which is a perfect example of SF's often unwillingness to go up. But in fact this zoning has a lot of people perplexed and frustrated. The amount of dialogue ongoing in the city right now concerning zoning, land use, and the need to build more housing is far greater in scope and influence than has been for generations now. The tides are turning.

Another example of under-zoned land is right along Market St. A developer recently announced down-scaled plans to conform to the current 120 ft zoning right near Union Square. They attempted to get a whopping 200 ft by agreeing to fund half of a new theater for some area non-profits. But couldn't get other parties to pony up for the other half. It's sites like these that should probably be zoned for 300-400+ ft. But they are down at 120 ft. Van Ness is at 130 ft.

To your points about Hunters Point and other areas being pointless for density, consider some of the following:

1) Land costs are lower and it becomes easier to put higher density affordable housing in these areas

2) These areas are actually relatively up-zoned compared to other parts of the city, even closer to the core

3) There IS political will to develop these areas, especially considering that thus far there really is no political backlash to develop these areas, which is a HUGE plus in San Francisco

4) We're not talking a 5-10 year buildout. More like 15-20 years. By the time these areas are built up to a substantial degree, present talks about a 2nd Transbay Tube and increased BART/MUNI rail will likely be at minimum closer to reality if not well underway (rapidly intensifying discussions about transit expansion are a reality now, when even a year ago they were not). The idea is to serve these areas. And create other transit corridors.

SF will never be New York City. But it probably has room for a few hundred thousand more residents without destroying its character or identity. There won't be a few hundred thousand more residents tomorrow, but sometime in 30-50 more years? Sure.

Meanwhile, similar discussions about growth are progressing regionally, and for the first time in decades, the new mayor of Oakland and the current mayor of SF are talking strategy on how the two cities can work together and better complement each other. Regional connectivity and regional coordination on growth are becoming a forced reality rather than a far fetched hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Not to mention urban planners from across north America study Vancouver as it's viewed as a template for other cities on the continent.
Here I would agree with Crawford. Vancouver is an urban model for cities that will never have a truly classic, dense urban form. But it's not an urban model for cities that have a truly class, dense urban form. Is Vancouver a super huge step up from Miami? Arguably. Is it a super huge step down from NYC, Chicago, Philly, SF, or even DC? Yes. In fact, people in SF cringe when people try to compare the new high rises here to Vancouver's.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 9:50 PM

At least based on population, it seems the basic results would be something like:

1) Manhattan (probably Brooklyn,Queens and Bronx would be 2-4)
2) SF
3) CHI
4) LA
5) PHIL
6) BOS
7) DC
8) SEA
9) BAL
10) MIA

LA and Miami would obviously be somewhat less traditionally "urban" than the others.

Realistically, IMO only Chi, SF, Philly and Boston can pull of the mini-Manhattan feel. Chicago is the US's other massive traditional urban city, and SF/PHILLY/BOS are all pretty similar in terms of scale and feel and in some ways more cohesively urban than Chicago.

DC is also basically in the SF/PHILLY/BOS urban range, but is maybe half a tier behind. It's functionally pretty similar in terms of amenities and car free living, but stylistically it doesn't quite have the same "living" downtown and lacks the organic, tight urban feel. Seattle probably has more of a "vibrant mixed use big city" downtown feel than DC, but lacks the neighborhood density. Baltimore is a fairly densely built rowhouse city, but really lacks the big city downtown feel.

After that, the US doesn't really have particularly dense cities. The new urban cities (Portland, Minneapolis, Denver) all have nice downtowns and are getting lots of infill, but don't really have the residential density. The old industrial cities Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Cinncy have great old bones, but the density just isn't there. Then we have the Hou, Dallas, Atlanta crew. They are seeing some nice infill in their midtown/uptown districts but just aren't real players yet.

Toronto and Montreal would probably be the in the Chi/SF/LA range. Vancouver would probably be more in the DC-Seattle range. Not sure if Ottawa would have the density to be in this discussion?

Last edited by jpdivola; Mar 1, 2015 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:16 PM

What does non-housing urbanism have to do with population? The thread was about the residential population in 23 square miles.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
What does non-housing urbanism have to do with population? The thread was about the residential population in 23 square miles.
Not necessarily. The thread is about "your city's Manhattan". Much of Manhattan isn't residential.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:41 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

It is supposed to be 23 square miles that includes the entire CBD, which is what Manhattan is. The commercial areas are a critical factor in the comparison.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 5:00 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Lyon (the second city of France)
City of Lyon and the inner suburb of Villeurbanne.
I have taken all the nine arrondissements of Lyon but I subtracted the port and industrial areas of the 7th arrondissement (1,456 inhabitants).

58.9 km² 22.7 sq mile
Population: 634,846
27,967/sq. mi

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 5:28 PM

Ok, here is what I have for Boston:
(I cheated slightly an include 1 zip code from Brookline since it is basically surrounded by Boston on all sides and pretty much cuts Allston off from the rest of Boston. However, I didn't include Cambridge or Somerville. Including them would all most certainly make these numbers a little higher. DC might also benefit if Arlington was included.

zip pop area ppsm
02110 1,733 0.2 8665
02109 3,771 0.2 18855
02113 6915 0.1 69150
02114 11,999 0.4 29997.5
02108 3,825 0.1 38250
02111 7,383 0.3 24610
02118 26,498 1.1 24089.09091
02116 20,628 0.6 34380
02199 1,146 0 N/A
02115 28,441 0.7 40630
02215 26,125 0.8 32656.25
02120 15,181 0.6 25301.66667
02119 25,346 1.6 15841.25
02134 21,503 1.3 16540.76923
02135 42,780 2.6 16453.84615
02210 2,090 0.9 2322.222222
02127 31,799 2 15899.5
02125 33,295 2.1 15854.7619
02446 29,311 1.3 22546.92308
02163 2,582 0.1 25820
02121 25978 1.7 15281.17647
02122 23479 2 11739.5
02124 47783 3 15927.66667

total 434,087 23.3 18,630

Basically, as I suspected, Boston comes out ahead of DC, but below SF and Chi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
At least based on population, it seems the basic results would be something like:

1) Manhattan (probably Brooklyn,Queens and Bronx would be 2-4)
2) San Francisco- 577,482 people 23 sq. mi. = 25,107 ppsm
3) Chicago- 491,230 people 22.8 sq. mi. = 21,545 ppsm
4) LA
5) PHIL
6) BOS- 434,087 people 23.3 sq miles = 18,630 ppsm.
7) DC- 314,762 people 24.1 sq miles = 13,061 ppsm
8) SEA
9) BAL
10) MIA

Others:
Milwaukee 241,309 people 23.12 sq. miles = 10,437.24
Minneapolis 215,245 people 23.8 sq. miles = 9,043 ppsm
Sacramento 159,748 people 25.01 sq. miles = 6,390 ppsm

Internationally:
Paris = 1,612,054 people 23 sq miles = 69,680 ppsm
London = 680,000 people 23 sq miles = 30,000 ppsm
Lyon = 634,846 people 22.7 sq miles = 27,967 ppsm
Toronto = 493,879 people 23 sqmiles = 21,473 ppsm

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:10 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Considering the last 2 pages of this thread were deleted, I think that means that discussion is over.

Carrying on, by combining Montreal's boroughs of Ville-Marie, Le Plateau-Mont-Royal, Outremont, Rosemont–La Petite-Patrie, and Villeray–Saint-Michel–Parc-Extension, you get a population of 484,229 in 60.9 sqkm (23.5 sqmi), or 7,951/sqkm (20,605/sqmi).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:28 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

By combining Tokyo's wards of Chiyoda, Chūō, Shinjuku, Bunkyō, and Taitō, you get a population of 928,290 in 61.4 sqkm (23.7 sqmi), or 15,119/sqkm (39,165/sqmi).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:48 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Hong Kong is a bit tricky. Hong Kong Island is too large, and about half of it is undeveloped anyway, but omitting the Southern District makes it too small so that area has to be made up for by crossing over to Kowloon. Nonetheless, by combining the HK Island districts of Central and Western, Eastern, Wan Chai, and the Kowloon districts of Yau Tsim Mong and Sham Shui Po you get 1,639,038 people in 57.1 sqkm (22 sqmi), or 28,705/sqkm (74,502/sqmi).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 9:27 PM

One thing I always loved about Manhattan was that sensation of crossing over a body of water to get to an island where the action was. Other cities have that to some extent, including my own, but I always thought that Manhattan would be the ne plus ultra of that terrific feeling.

And then I went to Hong Kong...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:05 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
(I cheated slightly an include 1 zip code from Brookline... DC might also benefit if Arlington was included.
Oh yes, I could definitely tweak the zip codes to make DC's number higher. What I showed includes much of Rock Creek Park, all of the National Mall, the gigantic empty campuses of the Old Soldier's Home and Washington Hospital, large swaths of industrial land, and much of both rivers. Meanwhile, I excluded some dense places like Georgetown and the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor in Arlington. I wasn't shooting for the densest 23 square miles in the DC region, but rather the most geographically central within the District of Columbia. Tweaking the zip codes wouldn't double DC's number, but I could probably raise it by at least 50,000 people, and maybe 100,000, with some creative gerrymandering. But I don't think that was the point of this thread, so I didn't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola
DC is basically in the SF/PHILLY/BOS urban range, but maybe half a tier behind. It's functionally pretty similar in terms of amenities and car free living, but stylistically it doesn't quite have the same "living" downtown.

Seattle probably has more of a "vibrant mixed use big city" downtown feel than DC, but lacks the neighborhood density.

Baltimore is a fairly densely built rowhouse city, but really lacks the big city downtown feel.

The new urban cities (Portland, Minneapolis, Denver) all have nice downtowns and are getting lots of infill, but don't really have the residential density.

The old industrial cities Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Cinncy have great old bones, but the density just isn't there.

Then we have the Hou, Dallas, Atlanta crew. They are seeing some nice infill in their midtown/uptown districts but just aren't real players yet.
This is basically accurate IMO.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Oh yes, I could definitely tweak the zip codes to make DC's number higher. What I showed includes much of Rock Creek Park, all of the National Mall, the gigantic empty campuses of the Old Soldier's Home and Washington Hospital, large swaths of industrial land, and much of both rivers. Meanwhile, I excluded some dense places like Georgetown and the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor in Arlington. I wasn't shooting for the densest 23 square miles in the DC region, but rather the most geographically central within the District of Columbia. Tweaking the zip codes wouldn't double DC's number, but I could probably raise it by at least 50,000 people, and maybe 100,000, with some creative gerrymandering. But I don't think that was the point of this thread, so I didn't do that.

This is basically accurate IMO.
Yeah, it is an interesting question for how to include cross-river cites. DC and Boston are probably the only 2 cities where it really matters. Maybe Montreal in Canada?

Having explored both, I think Cambridge's density is a little more naturally integrated into Boston than Arlington is to DC (but it is conceptually similar). Arlington's density is located along a linear corridor that shoots out from DC. You would have to jujitsu around Arlington Cemetery/Fort Myers/Pentagon and the park land to capture the density. Whereas Cambridge's density runs more parallel to the Charles River from Boston, if that makes sense. I'm guessing more people in Cambridge are a 20 min walk from Boston than people in Arlington are from DC. But, this is a fairly nuanced distinction to make.

But yeah, both cities could have higher numbers if we include them. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter all that much to their relative ranking. Boston is always going to be a little ahead of DC and a little behind SF and Chicago.

I think Brookline is a slightly different case the cross-river Arlington/Cambridge, since it is geographically contiguous with Boston's core and literally cuts Boston in two. It would be like if Shaw in DC were it's own municipality. I guess I could see taking it out. But, it won't really change things much, it only accounts for 29k of Boston's figure, subbing in a slightly less dense zip code brings in down maybe 15k.

Update: I see you mentioned the two rivers, did you use total area or land area? I only used land area for the Boston numbers. I guess there are good arguments either way. On the one hand, it is impossible to build on rivers. On the other hand, it is space that does break up the clustering of density.

Last edited by jpdivola; Mar 4, 2015 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 11:42 PM

Although Cambridge is quite different, going to Cambridge feels more like crossing the Thames than crossing the Brooklyn Bridge (although Harvard Bridge is longer than Tower Bridge).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Carrying on, by combining Montreal's boroughs of Ville-Marie, Le Plateau-Mont-Royal, Outremont, Rosemont–La Petite-Patrie, and Villeray–Saint-Michel–Parc-Extension, you get a population of 484,229 in 60.9 sqkm (23.5 sqmi), or 7,951/sqkm (20,605/sqmi).
Montreal's density is quite pleasant. Pretty close to Toronto, but with more low-rise apartment density. Toronto does it through a bigger downtown, more condos and some towers in the park.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions