HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 10:51 PM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:58 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^Great pix from one of my all-time favourite books ("City of Darkness"). I own a copy.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 4:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The end of the KWC:

amazonaws

Bronze Model of KWC in KWC park:

99percentinvisible.org

WKC art:

designboom
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 4:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Another KWC resource page. There are others like me who have an endless fascination with the place. http://jeffbaij.com/work/2008/definitivekowloon/

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 4:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

look for the swastika

jeffbaij.com

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 2:08 PM

Tin Fu Court, a public housing estate of the Home Ownership Scheme in Tin Shui Wai, Hong Kong

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 10:17 PM

I was looking for art to decorate my place and came across this one.

http://www.eyesonwalls.com/products/kowloonwalledcity

I might buy it.
(Afraid to hotlink the image.)

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 11:57 PM

Paris has their own version of this, but of course it looks much more beautiful (at least from a bird's eye view) and it doesn't have nearly the same amount of density.

http://thefunambulist.net/2012/02/08...-paris-part-1/

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 12:46 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^i love that

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
The Wall Street Journal just released a documentary on the legacy of the KWC 20 years after its demolition:

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...y-20-years-on/
As part of this project the WSJ also created an interactive multimedia page to explore KWC and its inhabitants: http://projects.wsj.com/kwc/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 3:20 AM
The Vomit Bag.

what I want under my christmas tree
http://greggirard.bigcartel.com/prod...clamshell-case

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 3:21 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
As part of this project the WSJ also created an interactive multimedia page to explore KWC and its inhabitants: http://projects.wsj.com/kwc/
Gold. thanks for the link. Required viewing for all WCK afficionados.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Aug 16, 2015 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 3:57 PM

Not sure if anyone has posted this photographer's website before, but it has some cool vintage photos of the Walled City:

http://greggirard.com/work/kowloon-walled-city--13

There are also some nice vintage photos of HK generally too... definitely worth a look.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 9:42 PM

A new kowloon?

Hey there, been reading your thread. Awesome info. I read somewhere a discussion about if it was possible for a new kowloon to emerge, and i think that there´s a place that might be a candidate.
There´s a "villa miseria" (shanty town i think its called in english?) in the city of Buenos Aires called Villa 31. What´s particular about this slum, because there are many more in Buenos Aires, it that it is located between train tracks and other buildings that impede the horizontal growth of the place. At the same time the villa is positioned in a very centric place of the city, next to the most expensive neighborhood, so it is a very sought after location by poor inmigrants or simply poor argentinians. And also being next to the bus terminal and a train terminal are other factors to consider. The conclusion is that the place is growing vertically, like no other slum in Buenos Aires. I take the train that passes next to the place, every day, and im always counting how many floors the buildings are growing. They are already reaching 6 stories high. And its all unplanned construction. So i think its a very interesting place to keep in mind, in a way is like watching the growth of kowloon.
Oh, another interesting fact, theres a highway that goes right through the middle of the place, which i use very often, and its really impressive to see the buildings now reaching to the side of the highway.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 12:19 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^welcome to the forum. Post pictures of the shantytown if you have them. I saw some shantytowns when I visited Lima and Bogota last year.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Paris has their own version of this, but of course it looks much more beautiful (at least from a bird's eye view) and it doesn't have nearly the same amount of density.
Still, Paris is the most dense city in Europe, or so I've read.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 8:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I read that Naples was the most dense large city in Europe. The Spanish Quarter is ultra-dense. I was there this summer. Wow. More dense than anything I have experienced, even in China, Japan, or Korea.

wired2theworld, archsys, afishcalledwander

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartieri_Spagnoli

wookie's pedia

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 8:30 PM

^The third picture quite looks like the KWC rooftops. And while KWC had the triads...

On an unrelated note. I've just finished reading a book on Hong Kong, published in 1977 by Time Life, as part of their "The Great Cities" series.
KWC is only mentioned twice + one small picture (of an unlicensed dentist's sign). The book is lavishly illustrated and show how the city appeared back then. Recommended reading!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 3:14 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^wow, I have that very Time-Life book title! It was, in fact, my first introduction to The Walled City of Kowloon.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 4:47 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions