HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 10:44 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
A moderate correction: I should say NYC doesn't really have boomburbs/edge cities but it does have some "ethnoburbs" in Middlesex County in central NJ like Edison and Piscataway (Indian American Hindus). But these places developed more in the 1960s and since then have seen modest growth since through infill development. More akin to say Clarkson in terms of timing of urban development.

I wouldn't count say, Fort Lee NJ as an "ethnoburb" as Hudson County really has more of an outer borough character than a suburban one.
arent vaughn and markham on the northern border of toronto? that would make them like a hudson county of metro toronto.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
arent vaughn and markham on the northern border of toronto? that would make them like a hudson county of metro toronto.
Vaughn and Markham are brand new. In fact the northern parts are still rural. Not really similar to Hudson County.

There are ethnoburbs in the NYC area, but, yeah, not really similar structurally to what you see in Toronto. NYC suburbs are about half older towns that were just enveloped by development, and those older towns tend to hold ethnic communities moreso than the newer sprawl. So if you want Brazilians you go to Mt. Vernon, if you want Indians you go to Hicksville, if you want Haitians you go to Spring Valley.

The Indians of Central NJ are probably closest to an ethnic sprawlburb, but even they are centered on an older, pre-sprawl area (Oak Tree Road in Iselin/Edison). But the population is scattered throughout the Central NJ sprawl.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 3:55 PM

In Edison NJ, there are two major periods of construction for the current housing stock: before 1960 (29%) and the 1980s (26%). Median year of construction is 1973. That's very "new" by NY/NJ standards.

Vaughan was still rural in 1980; 91% of housing stock is post-1980. Markham developed a bit earlier (for example the Markham side of Thornhill is about 20 years older than the Vaughan side), but 77% of housing stock is post-1980.

Last edited by Docere; Mar 9, 2015 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 6:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Vaughn and Markham are brand new. In fact the northern parts are still rural. Not really similar to Hudson County.

There are ethnoburbs in the NYC area, but, yeah, not really similar structurally to what you see in Toronto. NYC suburbs are about half older towns that were just enveloped by development, and those older towns tend to hold ethnic communities moreso than the newer sprawl. So if you want Brazilians you go to Mt. Vernon, if you want Indians you go to Hicksville, if you want Haitians you go to Spring Valley.

The Indians of Central NJ are probably closest to an ethnic sprawlburb, but even they are centered on an older, pre-sprawl area (Oak Tree Road in Iselin/Edison). But the population is scattered throughout the Central NJ sprawl.
i know that. i just meant they are bordering the city of toronto, so that makes them more like hudson county nj towns, which directly border the city of ny, than it does a satellite suburb. toronto's version of that. i realize they are newer, their physical form is much different and north of them is rural, so not the same thing, but also not what would be considered a satellite ethno-burb or whatever either as they seem to directly border on the northern city limits. maybe i misunderstood you, but it seems to me what you are referring to for toronto is usually found further out. for example, the old german-speaking amish communities south of greater cleveland would be satellite ethno-burb communities for them.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 7:27 PM

Might as well say North Las Vegas is the Hudson County of Las Vegas.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 12:19 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

According to curbed, the median price for homes in San Francisco--detached houses, attached houses, and condominiums combined--sold in February was $1,112,500 ($1,404,481 Canadian). Detached houses here are rare and coveted, so they sell for more than the median sale price of all homes combined.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:02 AM

^ That's crazy high.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 2:36 AM

Two of my friends recently sold their houses in Leslieville, a somewhat shabby but up and coming neighbourhood east of the Don Valley. The first was an unremarkable 3-storey detached Edwardian. He was asking for $850,000 and sold for $950,000. He is now renting a tiny 400 s.f. one bedroom, also in Leslieville, for $1,400. The other sold his dilapidated (and I mean dilapidated!) 2-storey Victorian row house for $600,000 and is now renting a standard 2 bedroom apartment in a 55 year old high rise in downtown for $2,200. His old house will easilty require at least $300,000 – $400,000 in renovations to make it habitable. Both houses were on the market for less than a week.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Yes DC and Toronto share a lot in common from the perspective of growth, era of buildout, ethnoburbs, transit availability, high-rise TOD clusters in the suburbs, and the like. DC's density is less due to more east coast style exurbs and fewer 1960s-highrises. Obviously the central cities are extremely different stylistically.
Although I think the very concentrated ethnic enclaves in DC are generally in communities with more multi-family housing?

In most cities they're either in places with lots of multi-family housing or older suburban housing (or in the urban core). Toronto does have that with Scarborough, Rexdale, Cooksville, etc but you also have Markham and Brampton which are pretty new suburbs. Not only that but the parts of Markham and Brampton that are most ethnic are the newest parts, which often have fairly large single family homes. Not sure if there's any US cities like that?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaborandi View Post
Two of my friends recently sold their houses in Leslieville, a somewhat shabby but up and coming neighbourhood east of the Don Valley. The first was an unremarkable 3-storey detached Edwardian.
That doesn't surprise me. Detached houses in inner Toronto are a luxury item. Only about 12% of inner Toronto residents even live in detached homes.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:45 AM

As a general rule, detached houses in the big blue zone of Toronto (the central corridor) would be a little over million. In the two big red zones they are about half that.

http://3cities.neighbourhoodchange.c...ual-Income.pdf

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Not only that but the parts of Markham and Brampton that are most ethnic are the newest parts, which often have fairly large single family homes. Not sure if there's any US cities like that?
Maybe Detroit? It's anecdotal, but my brother lives on the far western suburban fringe of Metro Detroit, and the local schools are heavily Asian immigrant, yet we're talking affluent, new construction neighborhoods. He's in a brand new McMansion development, and almost all his neighbors are first generation, from India or China.

It isn't an Asiatown-type area, though, at all. It's just normal upper middle class American sprawl. But these are new 600k+ homes, which is a lot of money in Michigan.

In contrast, older suburban areas of Detroit tend to be either white or black, with few immigrants, and almost no Asians.

The distinction in Detroit might be because Detroit gets relatively few immigrants, and those it receives tend to be more affluent than the existing residents (because Detroit-area immigrants are usually well-paid engineers or other technical positions with the auto industry). It makes sense that they gravitate towards McMansion-type developments on the fringe, close to the auto employment corridors, which run along the outer freeways.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:22 PM
if I sang out of tune

Average house price (worth) in Greater London (the majority are apartments) is $882,000. For the current market of homes on sale the average asking price is $1.4 million.

For a detached property the average would probably be nearing the $2 million mark worth .

This is the same kind of trend where a city centre comes into high demand as population rises - thus many condos being built. Detached houses suddenly become a rarity on the market and the price shoots through the roof.

Last edited by muppet; Mar 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Think of Toronto as Queens surrounded by SoCal on a Great Lake.
Queens surrounded by Moscow surrounded by Los Angeles, yes.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions