Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
dafuq
What?
Translation: I am at a loss to understand how the attached photo is in any way indicative of an arterial skyline.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Atlanta?
Indeed. There are areas where development has expanded a bit but generally speaking, much of the city's highrise inventory is along Peachtree Street.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Translation: I am at a loss to understand how the attached photo is in any way indicative of an arterial skyline.
Aside from the arterial skyline to the left? Obviously didn't spend too long looking for a picture of Uptown Houston but I would put it there with any other North American arterial skyline.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 8:42 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post

Maslak business district by Woody Wade, on Flickr

Istanbul's skyline on the European side follows Buyukdere Street.

On the Asian side it mostly follows two highways O-2 and E-80.

Havadan Istanbul by Yakup YILMAZ, on Flickr
Fuck... Istanbul looks great.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Indeed. There are areas where development has expanded a bit but generally speaking, much of the city's highrise inventory is along Peachtree Street.

Really old photo...the midtown skyline can expanded a lot since then. I don't consider the central part of Atlanta to be a linear skyline anymore...not like it was 10 years ago. Here a drone video of Atlanta very recently.

Video Link

And here's a recent aerial of the Atlanta area...isn't that linear...there are parts that are linear, especially in Buckhead, but even the central Buckhead skyline expands outwards from Peachtree these days.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Jesus Christ thank you. Not sure how that wasn't immediately and obviously apparent.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 12:17 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Noticed the Atlanta shots and just want to say this.

Atlanta is a very distinguishable and unique city IMO. It's not a generic looking one either that blends into the mishmash of your typical U.S. city. It has the type of form that separates it from others. Which is good because there are countless cities that all look the same and are bland, but Atlanta has a synergy the way it has grown and molded over the surrounding treescape. It really is a city amongst the trees AND I think the city in the forest vibe is the best thing about it. The clusters only add to this and it feels way bigger than it is due to it.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Jesus Christ thank you. Not sure how that wasn't immediately and obviously apparent.
Actually, a lot of Uptown isn't even in the photo. The reality is that there's a very long stretch of Uptown along I-610. It's lopsided, though, with most of it currently on the west side of the freeway. That seems to be changing, though, so that within a few years the east side of 610 will be quite built up as well. I would say that currently, it's very marginally an arterial skyline if at all, although very impressive if you take in the entire Uptown skyline. There's a photo that was taken a couple of miles to the east (around Upper Kirby) that shows the full scope, but I haven't been able to find it. I think it was somewhere here at SSP. In any case, it would be better if examples are for skylines that are somewhat balanced on each side of an arterial. Uptown is not balanced.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Fuck... Istanbul looks great.
Yup, that is nice. Had to google it to make sure that was Istanbul.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 9:19 PM
Ω

Dubai is like this. Most of the city is right off of Sheikh Zayed Road.

Source: pond5.com

Source: pbase.com

This is a great aerial video.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:00 AM

wilshire for sure.

I can see Sunset in the Hollywood/West Hollywood being one in the future.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 5:15 AM

Despite the density of Dubai, it looks rather car-centric to me, and no freeway plantings? As much as I love modern architecture, it doesn't come across appetizing enough for me to trip over there to see a city built from scratch!

I would sure hope they have some kind of subway system to go from one end to the other?

From an aerial view, that Burj Kalifa tower looks ridiculous, merely an exercise in egotism! I'm so glad we don't have an ego-centric building like that in NYC or Chicago, marring the skyline!

Last edited by IMBY; Oct 21, 2016 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 5:37 AM
BANNED

Dubai is what you get with too much planning. It's so orderly it's completely sterile.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 1:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
It wasn't.

The Midtown/ Galleria skyline either follows the 610 freeway or Post Oak Blvd a couple block west of there.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Despite the density of Dubai, it looks rather car-centric to me, and no freeway plantings? As much as I love modern architecture, it doesn't come across appetizing enough for me to trip over there to see a city built from scratch!

I would sure hope they have some kind of subway system to go from one end to the other?

From an aerial view, that Burj Kalifa tower looks ridiculous, merely an exercise in egotism! I'm so glad we don't have an ego-centric building like that in NYC or Chicago, marring the skyline!
I can't tell if this post is a joke or not. That climate isn't conducive to walking that far but I feel like there are a lot of new areas in the city that make an attempt at creating walkability.

They have a metro, monorail, and light rail...

NYC and Chicago are filled with ego-centric buildings.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post

It is car centric. However the subway is HIGHLY used and certain districts have very heavy foot traffic.

Yeah super tall buildings with incredible light shows suck.

People in the USA hating on Dubai, I don't get it. Jealous? Two of my fav skyscrapers are in the city, their train network is incredible for being less than 10 years old, and there is a lot of areas that are busy. Hell walk around sheik zayed on the side streets. Even skirting the highway there are plenty of PEDs.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Dubai is what you get with too much planning. It's so orderly it's completely sterile.
So you obviously never been there.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 11:24 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:
Ok, now I understand. Absolutely, that is not an arterial skyline, that's not how uptown works.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 5:27 PM
cities|transit|croissants

The Rosslyn-Ballston TOD corridor in Northern Virginia (DC)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Really old photo...the midtown skyline can expanded a lot since then. I don't consider the central part of Atlanta to be a linear skyline anymore...not like it was 10 years ago. Here a drone video of Atlanta very recently.

And here's a recent aerial of the Atlanta area...isn't that linear...there are parts that are linear, especially in Buckhead, but even the central Buckhead skyline expands outwards from Peachtree these days.
The subject of the thread is arterial skylines and Atlanta definitely still has those characteristics. Even when Midtown is completely built out, this city's skyline will still be linear because it is much longer than it is wide and there's nothing wrong with that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions