HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod View Post
Charlottetown Mall subdividing old Target space

The owners of the Charlottetown Mall are breaking up the space previously occupied by Target to make way for as many as six new tenants.

Before closing in April, Target occupied 107,800 square feet at the mall.

Mall owner RioCan said in a news release that space will be broken into four large-format spaces at 20,000 to 30,000 square feet each, and two small shops at about 5,000 square feet each.

The developer said negotiations with three national tenants are at an advanced stage.

Construction is expected to begin in the fourth quarter of 2015, with stores opening in the second half of 2016.

RioCan expects to substantially increase revenues in the subdivided space. Target was paying $4.20/square foot, while the new tenants are expected to generate a revenue of $12.46/square foot.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince...pace-1.3353747
I'm going to guess one of them is Giant Tiger. No clue what the others might be.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 11:08 PM

So heard that the Stratford Home Hardware is going to be moving into Castle on Riverside Drive is it? And that BMR is going to be moving over to the Home Hardware in Stratford.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri452 View Post
So heard that the Stratford Home Hardware is going to be moving into Castle on Riverside Drive is it? And that BMR is going to be moving over to the Home Hardware in Stratford.
As far as I have heard the rumor is that Metro might buy the building. BMR is in no position to move and the home hardware in Sherwood is staying put.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 9:23 PM

The Guardian:

A developer's application to demolish eight homes on both Chestnut and Passmore Streets was approved by Charlottetown council Tuesday.

Developer Philip O'Halloran's long-term plan is to redevelop the area.

According to the city, most of the homes are vacant, and two currently have tenants.

O'Halloran held a neighbourhood meeting during the summer. Coun. Greg Rivard, chairman of the city's planning committee, and Mitch Tweel, the councillor for the ward where the properties are located, were given a tour of some of the properties at that time.

Charlottetown Coun. Greg Rivard
Coun. Greg Rivard says the condition of some of the properties in the summer was 'terrible.' (CBC)

"They were terrible. They were just, almost ready to fall down," said Rivard.

O'Halloran met with the city's planning board last week.

"And I guess the concern from the applicant at the time … was that these homes are kind of an invitation to folks who are looking to get out of the cold, in the wintertime and things like that nature," said Rivard. "But they weren't safe. So, you know, he felt that he had a bit of a liability there, and this is the reason why he wanted them torn down immediately."

Demolition could take place this winter.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2015, 6:26 PM

Charlottetown is getting a Goodlife Fitness!! They will be opening in the combined space of the form Marks & Penningtons surrounding Indigo.
The leasing plan from Plaza REIT confirms this!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 6:23 AM

Fact: Murphy's Pharmacies have purchased the old Co-op on Queen street and will be starting construction on their new store in early 2016.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 9:00 PM

Starbucks closing in Summerside
The Guardian
Nancy MacPhee Published on January 14, 2016

Sunday is coffee shop’s last day, about a year and a half after it first opened
Starbucks will soon be no more in Summerside.

The store’s manager, Melissa Malloy, confirmed Thursday that the coffee shop, which is situated at 447 Granville St., would be closing its doors at the end of the day on Sunday, Jan. 17.

The closure comes about a year and a half after Starbucks first opened in the city.

APM announced early in 2014 that its development team had reached a deal with the popular coffee franchise to bring a Starbucks to the western city.

APM began construction in the spring of that year on what is known as Northgate Plaza at a cost of $1.7 million. The plaza also houses Pita Pit and a Benjamin Moore location.

Starbucks opened later in the year, on Aug. 2.

Malloy wouldn’t comment on the closure, referring further inquiries to Starbucks’ media hotline.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 7:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I never understood why Starbuck's would want to locate in Summerside anyway. The demographic of the community didn't seem to fit that which Starbucks would traditionally cater to.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 1:44 AM

It was not that good of a locstion either I didn't think. I perhaps would have put it downtown closer to the Holland College. Either way, being from summerside, I'm not surprised.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
It was not that good of a locstion either I didn't think. I perhaps would have put it downtown closer to the Holland College. Either way, being from summerside, I'm not surprised.
I wasn't surprised as the location has no foot traffic. The Queen St, University Ave and the new location out by Staples in Charlottetown have loads of foot traffic. I think your right if they located downtown close to HC it would have done better.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 12:35 AM

If you go to page 74 of this forum, you will see Josh_cat_eyes draft drawing of Buchanan Drive . Lot#5 is in the process of being developed. The foundation has started. Anyone hear what might be going in there?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
If you go to page 74 of this forum, you will see Josh_cat_eyes draft drawing of Buchanan Drive . Lot#5 is in the process of being developed. The foundation has started. Anyone hear what might be going in there?
According to the leasing plan, it's sleep country.
http://plaza.ca/wp-content/uploads/b...n_2016_218.pdf

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 12:17 AM

So even though I am from Summerside, I have not really followed the city very much since I left in the fall of 2014. But I recently came across a couple articles about the development of the former unfinished Dynasty Spa. So basically what I know about it is that the Chinese guy guy bought it in 2005, made arangements with the City to extend the boardwalk out to the end of his property and make some improvements to the road (mackenzie drive) leading out to it.
In approx. 2007 he had his probably annexed into the city.
The recession happened and everything got put on hold.
In 2013 he announced he was going to finally start work on the property, including building a subdivision on the property.
The rest you can basically get from the articles.
http://www.journalpioneer.com/News/L...n-Summerside/1
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Busines...r-Summerside/1

There is also a new 64-unit apartment building being built on the corner of Mackenzie Drive & Water Street that I seen being constructed when I was home for Christmas, but failed to get a picture of it. According to the mayor it is the largest single apartment building in the province. (Single meaning its not a group of apartment buildings together I assume?) It has undergroud parking, and is very nice looking:
http://www.journalpioneer.com/News/L...lex-approved/1
http://www.journalpioneer.com/News/L...ng%26nbsp%3B/1

Also I don't know the rules for posting articles so if someone could post them for me that would be fantastic!

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Jan 29, 2016 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 12:19 AM

In other PEI news, the original PEI starbucks is apparently closing:
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/section...-Kent-Street/1

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I'm going to guess one of them is Giant Tiger. No clue what the others might be.
There is a job posting for an assistant retail manager in the Charlottetown job bank for the Northwest Company....which happens to own Giant Tiger.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 9:50 AM

APM sold the land beside Kent on the corner 2.2 acres to Pat Morris who owns Kia Subaru and Hyundai any idea what dealership he is putting there? There is a big sold sign over the APM landmark forsale sign

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
APM sold the land beside Kent on the corner 2.2 acres to Pat Morris who owns Kia Subaru and Hyundai any idea what dealership he is putting there? There is a big sold sign over the APM landmark forsale sign
My guess is Kia, he just moved the Hyundai recently, and Kia is a bigger name then Subaru. Although he could build a bigger Hyundai dealership and move The Subaru next door.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 2:15 PM

Going to be a new Subaru Dealership

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 6:58 PM

Speaking of car dealerships, my dad informed me they are building a Nissan dealership in Summerside across the street from the tax centre on pope road.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 11:33 PM

H&M coming to the Charlottetown mall! This is huge for PEI!
http://m.theguardian.pe.ca/Business/...ttetown-Mall/1
H&M, one of the world's largest fashion retailers, is getting set to open its first P.E.I. store.

H&M (Hennes & Mauritz Inc.) is set to open at the Charlottetown Mall in the fall.

"We are thrilled to announce our upcoming opening in Charlottetown as part of our continued expansion in the Canadian market," stated Toni Galli, country manager of H&M Canada. "We have been waiting for a great location in Prince Edard Island and are very happy to have finally found one."

Back in mid-December, The Guardian reported on rumours that the owners of the Charlottetown Mall were bringing in two well-known retail stores.

Sources told The Guardian at the time that the multi-national retail clothing company H&M and American retailer Bath & Body Works were two of the tenants in discussions to help fill space left by Target Canada.

H&M first entered the Canadian market in 2004. Today there are 77 stores nationwide. Through its stores, H&M offers a broad product range including the latest trends and inspiration for customers to create a personal style.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces