HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Dec 8, 2013, 5:08 PM
BANNED

Sao Paulo poem

How does Toronto's 18,000 units under construction compare with the stat mentioned in this poem:

Quote:
Sao Paulo by Blaise Cendrars

I adore this city

Sao Paulo is after my own heart

No tradition here

No prejudice

Ancient or modern

All that matters is this furious appetite this absolute confidence this optimism this daring this work this labor this speculation which builds ten houses per

hour
in all styles ridiculous grotesque beautiful big small northern southern Egyptian Yankee cubist

With no other concern than to follow the statistics foresee the future the comfort the utility the increment value and to attract a large immigrant population

All countries

All peoples

I love that

The two or three old Portuguese houses that remain are blue china
http://craigsantosperez.wordpress.co...crement-value/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 4:35 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

That would be 87 600 units per year.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 4:47 AM
BANNED

I guess the 18000 is just condo units, so Toronto seems to be coming along ok.

Here are some more details from Claude Levi-Strauss:

Quote:
In 1935, the citizens of Sao Paulo boasted that, on an average, one house per hour was built in their town. At that time, they were talking of villas; I am assured that the rate remains the same, but that the unit is no longer the villa but the block of flats or offices. The town is developing so fast that it is impossible to obtain a map of it; a new edition would be required every week. It has been said that if you take a taxi to an appointment made several weeks ahead, you are in danger is arriving before the builders have finished.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
I guess the 18000 is just condo units, so Toronto seems to be coming along ok.

Here are some more details from Claude Levi-Strauss:

Toronto, not so much the soaring heights of downtown and the CN Tower in view, but to the north, west, and east, will one day have, I am sure, with all the clusters ever-growing of regions like North York and any building clusters one may care to name, will develop a rather "Sao Paulo" aspect to it. Toronto's already big, and it's still getting bigger.
Be thankful for you great ravine park system.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
130 highrise building projects in Toronto lead North America
Toronto ahead of NYC, Montreal, but Big Apple could catch up by 2015, says Emporis analyst

CBC News Posted: Jan 21, 2014 9:27 AM ET

Toronto still has more highrise buildings under construction than any other city in North America, but the gap between Canada's largest city and second-place New York City is getting smaller.

There are 130 highrise projects under construction in Toronto, more than in any other North American city.

New York is second, with 91 projects, and Montreal is third with 25.

That's the word from Emporis, a real estate data firm that monitors construction activity around the world.

Toronto has maintained top spot in the rankings for several years now, but New York, the traditional home of iconic skyscrapers, is narrowing the gap.

"On the basis of current developments, we assume that New York will catch up with Toronto as early as 2015," Emporis analyst Matthew Keutenius said.

It wasn't that long ago that Toronto had twice the number of construction projects on the go as the second-most active market. But an uptick in construction in New York has changed that.

Emporis defines a highrise as a building at least 35 metres tall. Buildings more than 40 storeys tall are considered skyscrapers.

The Toronto area is also a leader in terms of the percentage of those tall buildings that are residential in nature.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/130-...rica-1.2504776

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto