HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 11:58 PM

Location: The greatest little city in the east -- Saint John, NB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
In other words, a parking lot on the former Paramount site cannot legally be stopped.

Granted, I don't yet have any insider info on what went down at tonight's meeting, so, as always, stay tuned.
There are still options available -- though slim -- to stop or significantly delay the parking lot. In fact, the applicant almost caused that to happen last night by admitting that they would not abide by the recommended conditions. The zoning bylaw clearly states that if the PAC can be convinced that the applicant cannot or will not meet the conditions imposed, it can, in fact, turn down the application.

In the end, after learning this and based on the concerns of the PAC members and Uptown Saint John, the applicant voluntarily tabled their application. The intention is that this will give them time to meet with Uptown Saint John to address their concerns and redesign the proposal.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 2:48 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The plot thickens. Thanks for the info!

In other news, the EIA for Atlantic Potash's proposed fertilizer facility in the McAllister Industrial Park is has now been posted on the DENV website: http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/D...llisterEIA.pdf

Notably, the report mentions on page 79 that "[p]roduct from the proposed Project will be exported via the existing Forestry Terminal" at the Port, suggesting that land for an export/storage terminal on the Uptown side of the inner harbour is no longer in the proponent's sights.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 1:34 PM

A couple of renderings from the NB Museum for their planned expansion on Douglas avenue that would include a redevelopment of Riverview Memorial Park

Source: http://www.nbm-mnb.ca/index.php/abou...nbm-facilities

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 1:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looks nice. If this is approved, will the entire museum move to this site or will they keep their location at Market Square as well?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 12:19 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
A couple of renderings from the NB Museum for their planned expansion on Douglas avenue that would include a redevelopment of Riverview Memorial Park
I was at last night's public info session for this project, and they showed some updated renderings of the new wing - the entrance area had been reworked to look nicer, and a few other modifications had been made to pre-empt some typical NIMBY concerns (e.g. larger setback from Douglas Avenue; stepback of the building envelope at the 3rd storey). Essentially the same concept though.

---

MonctonRad: This proposal is to expand and modernize the NBM's Collections & Research Centre since the current historic building is getting close to a crisis point in terms of its deterioration (failing roof) and obsolescence (inadequate climate control, no fire suppression, etc).

The Exhibition Centre isn't part of this proposal. However, the Museum is at the end of its long-term lease with Market Square, and late last year they issued a RFP for a new long-term lease in "new or renovated space in the waterfront area of Uptown Saint John". From the horse's mouth, they mentioned last night that they've received several proposals and are now in the process of going over them. I'm sure we'll hear more in the coming months.

---

As an aside, the Collections Centre expansion involves building on a small portion of Riverview Memorial Park. Perhaps unsurprisingly, this has brought the usual 'don't touch any park for any reason regardless of the facts' crowd out of the woodwork. Thankfully, there has now been some YIMBY pushback to this contingent that is getting increasingly organized. I never dreamed I'd ever be shilling for a 'Friends of X' group (largely because they've all been NIMBY-oriented until now), but here's the link to the Friends of the New Brunswick Museum's Facebook page - it might be worth joining and/or sharing if you'd like to show your support for the NBM.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:52 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The latest chapter in the 'Let's Do Everything In Our Power to Kill the King's Square/Loyalist Burial Ground Area' Files:

JDI is proposing to (I kid you not) stop up and close a block of Elliott Row so they can (wait for it)...

Thanks to the blogger of Urban Plans for the heads-up.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:14 PM

shopping

Any new stores coming to SJ?
Any farmers markets in Quispamsis? I know of the one uptown.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
The latest chapter in the 'Let's Do Everything In Our Power to Kill the King's Square/Loyalist Burial Ground Area' Files:

JDI is proposing to (I kid you not) stop up and close a block of Elliott Row so they can (wait for it)...
[spoiler]...expand their surface parking lots.

Source

Source

Thanks to the blogger of Urban Plans for the heads-up.
This is one of the worst things I've seen proposed in Saint John in ages. You could see it coming a long way off, they've been buying and clearing land for years around their building, but someone needs to tell them that you can't forcibly change an urban office building into a suburban-style campus surrounded by parking and trees. Build a parking garage onto the existing site, or work on transportation alternatives for employees, but let Paul Bedell's street grid remain and give the community the opportunity to develop the surrounding land plots into a vibrant urban area, not some outdated tower in the park concept from the 1960s.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 12:53 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Couldn't have said it better myself. JDI needs a crash course on transportation demand management... to say nothing about the possibility of their next generation of (millennial) hires preferring to live across the street, rather than park there - or walk/bike to work rather than drive.

Saner heads had better prevail on this. Sinon, y a toujours Montréal encore...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 11:54 AM

Future of Mcallister place

With Target gone, does it make send to take down that part of the mall and build residential and or recreational? Could it be a great place to build the new ice rinks?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundyman View Post
With Target gone, does it make send to take down that part of the mall and build residential and or recreational? Could it be a great place to build the new ice rinks?
No.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 12:45 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
This is one of the worst things I've seen proposed in Saint John in ages. You could see it coming a long way off, they've been buying and clearing land for years around their building, but someone needs to tell them that you can't forcibly change an urban office building into a suburban-style campus surrounded by parking and trees. Build a parking garage onto the existing site, or work on transportation alternatives for employees, but let Paul Bedell's street grid remain and give the community the opportunity to develop the surrounding land plots into a vibrant urban area, not some outdated tower in the park concept from the 1960s.
Took the words out of my mouth. I've been irritated by them buying up old dilapidated buildings to increase surface parking, and won't even consider a parking garage. This is an office building in a relatively dense area, and therefore they can't just take over all the land they want. This will no absolutely nothing for the area.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundyman View Post
I actual don't mind this idea..I am not so much into the residential part but the fourplex idea is not bad…it wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't hate it. Not really keen on the placement of the fourplex on the waterfront but do like the idea of it going uptown somewhere.

I would be a firm NO on the JDI parking lot proposal thou!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 1:19 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Update on the JDI Parkmageddon file: their proposal passed through the consent agenda at tonight's Council meeting and has been referred to PAC, so we should expect a staff report in the coming weeks with more details.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:47 PM

Looks like the Rockwood Park Golf Club is under new management and are planning some renovations / updates - The biggest news for me in this piece is the addition of a restaurant by the owners of Britt's.

Quote:
The clubhouse will under go extensive renovations to improve the overall facility, most significantly we plan to update the building to enable year round use of the location and build upon the existing deck to vastly improve recreation in the summer months. We are also excited to announce that the renovation will include the addition of a sister restaurant to the well loved Britt’s Pub & Eatery open to both golfers and the general public.
Source: http://www.rockwoodgolf.ca/renovations.html

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 11:24 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Sounds exciting! The restaurant in particular should help to turn the clubhouse into more of a destination.

Would've been a nice amenity to go along with an intensified Sandy Point Road corridor....

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Looks like the Rockwood Park Golf Club is under new management and are planning some renovations / updates - The biggest news for me in this piece is the addition of a restaurant by the owners of Britt's.

Source: http://www.rockwoodgolf.ca/renovations.html
This is wonderful news. Revitalizing the course and introducing this powerhouse management team is the best news I've heard all day!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 5:42 PM

There's a crew from a 'traffic control systems' company doing work on the Lancaster end of Simms Corner today. This morning, it looked like NBSR was doing some kind of testing on their crossing signals as well.

Signs that investigation is being done into signalization or redesign of the intersection, perhaps?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 7:06 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
There's a crew from a 'traffic control systems' company doing work on the Lancaster end of Simms Corner today. This morning, it looked like NBSR was doing some kind of testing on their crossing signals as well.

Signs that investigation is being done into signalization or redesign of the intersection, perhaps?
Discussion about realigning Simms Corner? Time to bring back this beauty:
photobucket/Googlemaps

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 7:02 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Discussion about realigning Simms Corner? Time to bring back this beauty:
photobucket/Googlemaps
This would be an absolutely perfect place to put a roundabout. I've driven through it several times before - it's a disaster.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces