HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 5:27 AM

I wish I haven't lived here for so long 'cause it's hard to get a perspective the beauty of it , in other words I'm so used to it. The only time I can gauge it or really appreciate it is when I go abroad. I love the pics of Gastown in Gaoler's Mews 'cause it reminds me of small pubs in back streets of London.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 5:44 AM

I hate the fact that some bastards from california decided to plant hardy northwest palm trees in vancouver. anyways

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 5:56 AM

I'm driving up to Vancouver from Portland this Friday to visit a friend. Wooo hooo! Vancouver is such an amazing city.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 6:44 AM
Waiting for what's next..

Thumbs up Oh Wow!

I think I've said this before (on this thread); but I'll say it again:

If I could not live where I live (San Francisco), and if I were younger; In a flash, I would move to Vancouver - one of the most beautiful cities in Canada.

Thanks so very much for the photos. (Ok, I know... all you have to do is point the camera... the city does the rest.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touray
I hate the fact that some bastards from california decided to plant hardy northwest palm trees in vancouver. anyways
Not growing the Windmill/Chusan palm tree here(they're actually from mountainous parts of China) is like saying our fabulous Japanese cherry and maple trees, sequoia(Cal. redwood), European oaks, linden, magnolias, eucalyptus, the ever popular monkey-puzzle trees(they're from Argentina) shouldn't be grown here.
How about the exotic plants you see growing here daily - azalea, rhododendron, bamboo? If it weren't for the bastards that planted these then Vancouver would not have the great diversity in flora that residents and visitors have grown to love. Palms are a part of Vancouver now just like the puzzle-tree before it.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 1:58 PM

vancouver is the skyscaper version of the moneyshot. booyah.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 2:18 PM

I didn't realize Gastown had so many trees!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 5:18 PM

some of my favourite spots :

UBC Rose Garden

Jericho Beach Park

Prospect Point at Stanley Park

Queen Elizabeth Park

Deep Cove

Coal Harbour

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground
Not growing the Windmill/Chusan palm tree here(they're actually from mountainous parts of China) is like saying our fabulous Japanese cherry and maple trees, sequoia(Cal. redwood), European oaks, linden, magnolias, eucalyptus, the ever popular monkey-puzzle trees(they're from Argentina) shouldn't be grown here.
How about the exotic plants you see growing here daily - azalea, rhododendron, bamboo? If it weren't for the bastards that planted these then Vancouver would not have the great diversity in flora that residents and visitors have grown to love. Palms are a part of Vancouver now just like the puzzle-tree before it.

Ya, I have also noticed a shitload of Banana plants being grown in people's backyards, although it probably never gets hot enough to produce bananas. They have to be cut back this time of year.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground
I wish I haven't lived here for so long 'cause it's hard to get a perspective the beauty of it , in other words I'm so used to it.

I kind of know what your saying. I went to Costa Rica and it obviously is very beautiful but I remember sitting on a beach in Jaco (where granville st meets the tropics) and watching the sunset and it completely reminded me of Kits beach (minus the prostitutes, drug dealers, and child vendors). At that point I got a little homesick.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 5:39 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by He11razor
I didn't realize Gastown had so many trees!
I didn't realize that it's always warm and sunny in Vancouver (aside from moments with picturesque fog) and that it NEVER rains!

Winter shots of snow-blanketed Calgary: Beautiful.

Winter shots of Vancouver enduring 27 straight days of nonstop rain: Nonexistent.

Post some pics of people fighting over the awnings on Robson to stay dry. And take them at 4:15 as the sun is setting in December. Now THAT'S sexy.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck
I didn't realize that it's always warm and sunny in Vancouver (aside from moments with picturesque fog) and that it NEVER rains!

Winter shots of Vancouver enduring 27 straight days of nonstop rain: Nonexistent.

Post some pics of people fighting over the awnings on Robson to stay dry. And take them at 4:15 as the sun is setting in December. Now THAT'S sexy.
Well it is actualy drier in Vancouver from late may to september then it is in most other parts of Canada including Toronto and Calgary. Now obviously the rest of the year is a different story, just today we had a system come through that is/will end up dumping 50-100mm(3-6inches?) of rain today and thats after we got a 100mm in 24 hours just a couple days ago, plus showers hear and there in between. The sun by the way sets at 4:34 i believe at its earliest point and its no big deal, infact i find it refreshing(but thats just me), not to mention that most of northern america is no different, new york to chicago to seattle.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck

are you trying to make a joke? I dont think vancouver qualifies as warm and sunny.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 10:27 PM
Endless Moments...

There are so many great pics of this city. THey all look really awesome, every time i see them i am just shocked. Really great pics to all who have taken them.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 10:32 PM
Cheers!

"are you trying to make a joke? I dont think vancouver qualifies as warm and sunny."
<<< You need to turn your sarcasm detector on.

What's wrong with you furrycanuck? Photography is a lot more challenging in low light conditions. Hence the majority of sunny day pictures. Anyone with a camera should know that.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsonic
some of my favourite spots :
UBC Rose Garden
Jericho Beach Park
Prospect Point at Stanley Park
Queen Elizabeth Park
Deep Cove
Coal Harbour
There are so many beautiful shots it's hard to say which are the best but the first two are truly amazing...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 6:37 AM

I must admit, I'm very, very homesick. Specially when I see threads like this I've come to realize that there's nowhere in the world like Vancouver. Like someone suggested.. you never "realize" until you're away!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 6:54 AM

I totally agree, Kingston sucks... the weather here is awful, its either too humid or too cold... tehre are like 2 weeks of reasonable weather here a year, the week inbetween autumn and winter and the week inbetween winter and summer.

And weather aside Kingston just sucks... its a dump

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 8:25 PM
Dérive-r

Well it gets hot enough for days like this in the summer, which is good enough for me...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 1:13 AM

^nice beach pics. but im pumped for the ski season now and that you can see snow on the mountains.

Last edited by excel; Nov 18, 2006 at 1:19 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos