HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
Likely a sports bar.
Bummer, I was hoping for tribute to the Australian soap opera.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094481/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 7:53 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Bummer, I was hoping for tribute to the Australian soap opera.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094481/
*slow clap* well played

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 9:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Likely a sports bar.
They had the paper down yest, looks high end in there, def not a sports bar. More like a resto/pub.

Alley Burger just opened in East Village:

http://thenewcalgary.com/blog/alley-...mons-building/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
*slow clap* well played
Thanks, although my typo irks me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
They had the paper down yest, looks high end in there, def not a sports bar. More like a resto/pub.
High end? Well that definitely rules out my Aussie theory.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:28 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
High end? Well that definitely rules out my Aussie theory.
I believe they call that a "one-two punch"...
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Storm View Post
Are we sure that both locations have closed for good? I was under the impression they were redecorating or rebranding those stores...
The way they closed down was more consistent with a midnight move scenario (employees showing up in the morning to find the place shuttered). I'd be surprised if they are back.

The space seemed overly large for a coffee shop, especially at $40-50 / sqft. I imagine they'd have to do similar volume to the downtown locations to make it work and despite being steadily busy during the day, I mustn't have been working out.

EDIT: Today there's a for sale sign up and the Artigiano sign is down. Which is odd considering it's a leased CRU. I imagine it's being offered for sublease.

Last edited by artvandelay; Nov 6, 2015 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 6:39 PM

There is a 'LEASED' sign in one of the bays on the 4th and 17th site. I'm going to guess a bank but who knows, might see the other ones go now.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
The way they closed down was more consistent with a midnight move scenario (employees showing up in the morning to find the place shuttered). I'd be surprised if they are back.

The space seemed overly large for a coffee shop, especially at $40-50 / sqft. I imagine they'd have to do similar volume to the downtown locations to make it work and despite being steadily busy during the day, I mustn't have been working out.

EDIT: Today there's a for sale sign up and the Artigiano sign is down. Which is odd considering it's a leased CRU. I imagine it's being offered for sublease.
yeah - I drove by the Mission location last night and say realty signage in the windows. The major problem with that space was the scale; I can't see how they would have been profitable in a space like that. Could now be a great location for another cafe or restaurant (assuming that giant bar with the fixtures and appliances stayed with the property).

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 5:22 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I believe that Home & Away opened yesterday, did anyone make it down? I might give it a shot tomorrow before the Hey Rosetta! concert.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 11:12 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 3:33 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
I know that Rusty made it down and was impressed with his meal. I think this place is going to do really well! Hoping to make it down on the weekend. I had no idea that Emes and Grimes were partners in this. Good to know, those two have done a lot for the scene here.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Storm View Post
yeah - I drove by the Mission location last night and say realty signage in the windows. The major problem with that space was the scale; I can't see how they would have been profitable in a space like that. Could now be a great location for another cafe or restaurant (assuming that giant bar with the fixtures and appliances stayed with the property).
I think we have discussed this before, but I am amazed at the new retail sizes in Calgary. So few other cities in Canada have average sized units like what we see at 20/20 and 17th and 4th. The result is higher rental costs and a barrier to entry for non-chain, non-deep-pocketed businesses who may require a good location but can't afford 2,500sqft of a very limited amount of good pedestrian friendly corners in this city.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 12:43 AM
BANNED

Cactus Club on Stephen Ave is just opened a couple bays east signage is up for new u/c resto called Wise and Wright.

When's that new cocktail bar/resto opening on Stephen Ave at the bottom of The Bay? They've been working on it for a long time.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 5:22 AM
Aviary Masticator

Goodbye, Corbeaux! It's been a slice

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 6:40 PM

Does anyone know the story with Surya?

They are closed and seem to have some advertising for a new place on the windows. My call for takeout resulted in forwarding to someones personal voicemail.

Ended up trying Glory of India and was not impressed. 50% higher cost and the food was nothing special.

What are viable alternatives for quality Indian/Pakistani food delivered in downtown. Takeout is also a possibility and have Spice 7 in mind for that but looking for more options.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker_mw View Post
Does anyone know the story with Surya?

They are closed and seem to have some advertising for a new place on the windows. My call for takeout resulted in forwarding to someones personal voicemail.

Ended up trying Glory of India and was not impressed. 50% higher cost and the food was nothing special.

What are viable alternatives for quality Indian/Pakistani food delivered in downtown. Takeout is also a possibility and have Spice 7 in mind for that but looking for more options.
That's too bad if true as it was one of my go-to places. Oddly you can get really good Indian/PK food at Great Canadian Pizza downtown. They have a reasonable selection, also they have haleem (ask for it as its not on the menu and its only made a few times a week) which is usually really tough to find.

I am unsure if they do delivery but they probably do. Also, there are at least 2 locations downtown. One is on 4th ave and 5th street and the other is right next to crack macs on 7th ave (never been to this one though).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
Goodbye, Corbeaux! It's been a slice
A victim of the downturn? Or just a poor concept?

This article would suggest the latter, but perhaps it may have worked better in a booming economy.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 5:08 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
A victim of the downturn? Or just a poor concept?

This article would suggest the latter, but perhaps it may have worked better in a booming economy.
Huge space, and a lot of it dedicated to back of house. That is hard to do.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Huge space, and a lot of it dedicated to back of house. That is hard to do.
Even harder when one is paying a premium for rent.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 8:11 PM

December Mission news:

- Blaze Pizza will be taking the large restaurant space on the SE corner of 20/20. It is the first Calgary restaurant for the quickly growing fast-casual American chain. The concept lets customers build their own pizza with a variety of toppings - think Subway meets pizza. I've been to a similar place in Montreal and enjoyed it, but I can't help but think a full service restaurant with bar would've made better use of the patio space on that end cap.
- Also in 20/20. Five Guys Burgers will be taking one of the last remaining CRUs - adjacent to Blaze Pizza I believe.
- Signage for "The Mission" is up in the former Candela space. From the group behind Anejo, it will have a contemporary international menu and is slated to be a more casual spot than Candela.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation