HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 10:18 PM

How is a graphic showing me that bigger cities have more jobs for people to access "The Carless Commute Ranking to End All Carless Commute Rankings"? Shouldn't this be more in a per capita basis than a strict job number basis? Because it it were, I'm sure cities like Portland would rank higher than Denver and especially LA.

I would bet the difference in that correlation would come down to transit systems based mainly on rail to those based mainly on buses like Denver and LA.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:52 PM
Denver

I also think that having the lightrail go through the tech center and central downtown really skews the data in Denver's favor, no?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:57 PM

It's citylab. Trying to over-analyze some of the overly simplistic lists and hyperbolic statements can make your head explode with the methodology flaws and contradictions.

Do what the rest of us do and accept it at face value when it makes Denver look good, and pretend it doesn't exist when it makes Denver look bad. You'll end up happier and live a longer life.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:29 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Yeah that one is especially stupid though. It hurts even if you don't think too hard about it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 7:04 PM

Nice to see that the Aurora Freeway is finally complete.

Courtesy of Fastracks.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:45 PM

Commuter Rail Maintenance Facility Reaches Major Milestone
per DTP
Quote:
In September, Denver Transit Partners (DTP) was given a temporary certificate of occupancy (TCO) for the commuter rail maintenance facility (CRMF). The TCO signifies the transfer of the building from the design-build contractor, PCL Construction, to DTP. With the TCO in place, DTP is moving into the building,,,

“With the CRMF complete, we can start receiving the rail cars, which leads to testing and commissioning, and finally, opening day,” said DTP Stations Manager, Troy Denike.
per DTP
courtesy of Fastracks

This is a good thing because a half-dozen new commuter rail cars are on their way to Denver... by railroad naturally.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:55 AM
Aspiring Amateur

When are the first cars scheduled for delivery?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:03 PM

^^ Not sure specifically but I believe sometime in December.

I think the East Line is on a pace that once the new cars are checked in and checked out that they should soon roll in the direction of the East Line for the beginning testing.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 5:54 AM

Why in hindsight the Fastracks investment will look very wise maybe even a lifesaver.

This is in reference to a post I made on the Main thread HERE. This has become a recurring theme that I've noticed. To summarize many companies, especially tech companies are now calculating their space needs based on one employee per 250 sq. ft. versus an older calculation of one employee per 500 sq. ft. or more. This has led to tech companies wanting 3-4 parking spaces per 1000 sq. ft.

In Dallas J.P. Morgan Chase owns one of the bigger downtown office towers and recently acquired the land on the block across the street. While they haven't yet announced any proposed development it is assumed that at least part of their motivation was to provide additional parking for their tower which IIRC had a little over one parking space per 1000 sq. ft.

If this trend continues to grow it's possible that without Denver's great hub and spoke, suburb to city transit system that many companies would no longer consider downtown as an option.

So sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

thekeyplay.com

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:12 AM

The Z Line is Coming... Who Knew?

Although not real soon but the SE Corridor Extension has leaped the first EA (Environmental Assessment) hurdle. From the FTA pdf HERE:
Quote:
Sky Ridge Station: The project includes eight Light Rail Vehicles (LRV) with rail service via the E Line to Denver Union Station (DUS), F Line to Downtown Denver, and the Z Line, which is new service that will operate between the RidgeGate Station and the Peoria/Smith Station on the I-225 Rail Line
"Paging all passengers wanting to catch the next flight to London or Frankfurt, please be sure to board the Z Line."

From z-linedesigns.com

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The Z Line is Coming... Who Knew?

Although not real soon but the SE Corridor Extension has leaped the first EA (Environmental Assessment) hurdle. From the FTA pdf HERE:

"Paging all passengers wanting to catch the next flight to London or Frankfurt, please be sure to board the Z Line."

From z-linedesigns.com
I thought that previously operated as the G line? Why rename it? z is a dumb letter. It would be like us building a draper - university medical line via foothill and 215 and calling it the neon line or the sparkle line. Z seems too sharp.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 11:51 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Probably because the gold line is going to be the G line. Just guessing.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:42 PM

I don't really have any issue with calling it the Z line. Kinda cool. I guess I was expecting it to be the S Line (south) in line with the W line going west, the E line sorta going easterly and the likely N line going north into Thornton. Whatever, one can always go zouth.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:25 PM

I'm just glad that it seems as though they're going to stick with the same naming convention throughout the system. Considering RTD's separation of light and commuter rail, at least in signage and location at Union Station, I was worried that they would stick with names like "Gold Line" and "East Line" for commuter rail, and W, E, C, D, etc. for light rail.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:32 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I thought that previously operated as the G line? Why rename it? z is a dumb letter. It would be like us building a draper - university medical line via foothill and 215 and calling it the neon line or the sparkle line. Z seems too sharp.
It's a sharp letter for a sharp town- Aurora, which has been pushing to have the line named the Aurora Line or some claptrap like that. Z Line is a lot better than my current suggestion of the Century Line sponsored by Remington.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 6:24 PM
Aspiring Amateur

Why do they keep picking random letters? A, C, D, E, F, H, W, and Z? Why can't they just go in succession?

Also somewhat related, but will the H line still terminate at Nine Mile?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 6:41 PM

I'm not really sure if the H line will terminate there, its hard to find that info. But it is kind of seeming that way (or maybe even Iliff now). So that would mean someone at the Southmoor station going to the airport would take the H to Iliff/Nine Mile, transfer to the Z line, then transfer again to the East line. If they took the H line north to DUS they would only have to transfer once. Of course someone at Southmoor would probably just drive to the PNR at Parker or Iliff and take the Z line rather than deal with the transfer.

I-225 Rail Line
Projected Completion: 2016
Vehicle Type: Light Rail
Length (miles): 10.5
Stations: 8
Parking: 1,225 existing spaces; 1,800 new spaces; Total: 3,025 parking spaces (opening day)
Travel Time: 40 minutes (Iliff to Peoria/Smith)
http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/main_6

Hold on, 40 minutes from Iliff to Smith?? Why on god's earth would it take the light rail that long to go between those stations?!? That's only 6 miles (or 10.5 miles on the non-direct light rail route)! That's a 6 minute drive, maybe 15 minute tops in traffic (which there isn't a ton of recently since they opened all 3 lanes). So what are we talking for someone to get from, say, the Lincoln station to the airport, 100 minutes?
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Last edited by EngiNerd; Oct 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCO View Post
Why do they keep picking random letters? A, C, D, E, F, H, W, and Z? Why can't they just go in succession?

Also somewhat related, but will the H line still terminate at Nine Mile?
I think the H line is supposed to terminate at Iliff or Florida and will not go to Aurora Metro Center - the reason being that it would be faster to take the Z line north and then transfer to the A line to go downtown.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:18 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
I'm not really sure if the H line will terminate there, its hard to find that info.
Not really. The annual report to DRCOG includes all sorts of good stuff: https://drcog.org/sites/drcog/files/...e%20Report.pdf

Including:

And yes, it looks like 62 minutes between Ridgegate and Peoria, so with the transfer, 90+ is probably correct.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:57 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
So what are we talking for someone to get from, say, the Lincoln station to the airport, 100 minutes?
Taking that route, yes, 100 or so minutes looks accurate. But Lincoln Station to the airport via Union Station looks like it will take 75 minutes or so.

What is making the I-225 line so slow? Maybe the at-grade stretches through the Aurora "Metro Center" and Fitzsimmons up to I-70 and Peoria?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West