HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas_inc View Post
... Really pushing the bike lifestyle!

I would say "peddling the bike lifestyle."

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 6:26 PM

From their ad in the Metro last week, Friday I think, it said that sales were launching in September.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 12:15 PM

I saw in the paper yesterday that the sales centre's grand opening is this Saturday (Sept 12). Curious to see how quickly these units sell an construction begins as I know at the open house this spring the builder was optimistic to be in the ground by this summer.... obviously that timeline has drifted slightly.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
I saw in the paper yesterday that the sales centre's grand opening is this Saturday (Sept 12). Curious to see how quickly these units sell an construction begins as I know at the open house this spring the builder was optimistic to be in the ground by this summer.... obviously that timeline has drifted slightly.
If University City was any indication, the speed at which this thing should be built once they hit the "Go" button should be pretty impressive. With no parkade excavation, the time preparing the site should be minimal. I recall the first University City tower being finished in around 12 months (albeit my memory is a bit fuzzy so this may be inaccurate) which is pretty unheard of in this city for a building this size.

If demand has held up so the sales process is short, which shouldn't be an issue given the price-point, they could be topping out late next year conceivably.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 4:35 PM
I am the law!

Still need to drill caissons and maybe a raft slab. Different development team than University City too.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 12:43 AM
dvdktn

The N3 Condo should have one of these...

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 4:12 AM
Canadian Urbanite

N3 is apparently 80% sold.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 2:21 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
N3 is apparently 80% sold.

Source: Imgur, by shawric

That's great to hear!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 2:36 PM
Round Head

Someone on Twitter said 150 of 167 units sold. So about 90%.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 3:21 PM

90%?! Wow

That would have to mean construction could get under way soon then?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 3:33 PM

How could anyone think about buying a place with no parking! This will never work in Calgary! OMG WTF BBQ

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 4:55 PM

There was talk a while back that it is Knightsbridge that has also conditionally purchased the site on the west side of the St.Louis. Considering the response to N3 I wouldn't be surprised to see them go for pretty much the same building on that parcel.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyric View Post
There was talk a while back that it is Knightsbridge that has also conditionally purchased the site on the west side of the St.Louis. Considering the response to N3 I wouldn't be surprised to see them go for pretty much the same building on that parcel.
And hopefully a steady trickle of other developers try to replicate this success. A free bicycle and some Car2Go minutes sure is a great alternative cost to putting in an underground parkade.

I'm pretty excited about the immediate success of N3.

With cycle track counts in, and N3 selling 90% in one weekend, that should change some minds in this city! jk, the uneducated, stubborn types who knock progressive urban concepts don't care about things like statistics!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlex View Post
And hopefully a steady trickle of other developers try to replicate this success. A free bicycle and some Car2Go minutes sure is a great alternative cost to putting in an underground parkade.

I'm pretty excited about the immediate success of N3.

With cycle track counts in, and N3 selling 90% in one weekend, that should change some minds in this city! jk, the uneducated, stubborn types who knock progressive urban concepts don't care about things like statistics!
Hopefully it can offer alternative to the traditional large-block development you see in larger condo projects. If a developer knows they have an option to reduce parking, reducing the capital and price point they need, they might not be so incentivized to wait decades to consolidate larger parcels.

With no parking ramps or major excavations, there could be the opportunity to develop sites previous uneconomic to new structures. So many slivers of lots and other in-between building spots in the Beltline that could support this kind of development. Not to mention all your services and amenities are already there.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 9:06 PM
Canadian Urbanite

With the success of N3, the hope is that Administration/Council will amend current policies/zoning bylaw requirements that emphasizes the need for parking.

I don't resonate with the concept that the market should shape planning decisions, however, the exception to that rule is with respect to parking. If developers believe that they can make the project work in the absence of vehicular parking (as is N3) then I believe the City should be accommodating in its relaxations. The benefits of such a project are numerous (i.e. flexibility in project design/increased viability, increased intensification/density, affordability, reduce emphasis on the car) while the negatives, in my opinion, are little to none.

Here's hoping that N3 paves the way for similar developments, and a new planning paradigm that is flexible and conducive to increase intensification.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
With the success of N3, the hope is that Administration/Council will amend current policies/zoning bylaw requirements that emphasizes the need for parking.

I don't resonate with the concept that the market should shape planning decisions, however, the exception to that rule is with respect to parking. If developers believe that they can make the project work in the absence of vehicular parking (as is N3) then I believe the City should be accommodating in its relaxations. The benefits of such a project are numerous (i.e. flexibility in project design/increased viability, increased intensification/density, affordability, reduce emphasis on the car) while the negatives, in my opinion, are little to none.

Here's hoping that N3 paves the way for similar developments, and a new planning paradigm that is flexible and conducive to increase intensification.
Agreed. The market has spoken, hopefully this continues.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
90%?! Wow

That would have to mean construction could get under way soon then?
First you have to figure out how many of those 90% will actually go to contract. Putting down a fully refundable deposit (ie. hold) doesn't count towards a financing sales test.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urbanist View Post
Agreed. The market has spoken, hopefully this continues.
I agree, we have been holding back on thinking differently in Calgary, but I am glad the market put the nay-sayer in their place.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 3:26 AM

The developer of Calgary’s first carless condo unveiled a seven-foot-tall Lego model of the N3 project Sept. 11, 2015.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2216367/ca...llage-15-sold/

Quote:
The building will break ground this fall beside the old St. Louis Hotel

https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpre...0&h=800&crop=1

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 4:15 AM

They need a little lego Stephen Harper campaigning outside the St. Louis. He's got the right hair.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates