HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 6:25 PM
Here and There

the urban beach idea is great! Large playground too! I think what Calgary is missing is a large venue, close to downtown that could attract hundreds of people. Eau claire was designed for a city of 600,000 people and it failed. I still go there but it is missing that city feeling. The kiddie pool at eau claire is SO small!

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 6:28 PM
Round Head

You guys filled out the survey?

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 10:59 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
the urban beach idea is great! Large playground too! I think what Calgary is missing is a large venue, close to downtown that could attract hundreds of people. Eau claire was designed for a city of 600,000 people and it failed. I still go there but it is missing that city feeling. The kiddie pool at eau claire is SO small!
Isn't there a plan to redo the Eau Claire area? Im guessing the plan is shelved due to the economy for the forseeable future. I really enjoy the plaza there and the connection to the pathway system and Prince's Island, but you are right; the area doesn't do all it can to create a sense of place and a spot for people to meet.

I really like the renderings of the EV riverwalk, I think that will do a better job, assuming the area develops as planned. It would be nice to have a strip of cafes and bars/restuarants lining the riverwalk, on the EV blocks on the other side of the street.

Im really excited to see how things will turn out!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:46 PM
The City That Moves

Invitation to World Cafe format public engagement for St. Patrick's Island redevelopment (June 23rd & 24th, 2010)

Quote:
As part of the Growing the Vision stage for St. Patrick's Island, we will be hosting a series of public engagement events designed to gather your thoughts, opinions and feedback that will inform the master plan for the St. Patrick's Island.

Togeter with Stantec, we will be hosting two World Cafe sessions on June 23 and June 24 to solicit your input. The World Cafe format consists of a three hour collaborative forum in a cafe style setting designed to provoke topic-based conversation to a series of questions.

Participants will be divided into several small groups with one facilitator to lead discussion.

World Cafe Sessions
Session 1 - June 23 6 - 9 pm
Session 2 - JUne 24 9am - 12 pm
The World Cafe sessions are by RSVP only. If you would like more information or to participate please send an email to rsvp@calgarymlc.ca
Reference: CMLC - St. Patrick's Island Redevelopment Event

I thought I would post this in case anyone is interested in attending and I know there are a lot of people on this forum that would have some great ideas to contribute.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:47 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Isn't there a plan to redo the Eau Claire area? Im guessing the plan is shelved due to the economy for the forseeable future. I really enjoy the plaza there and the connection to the pathway system and Prince's Island, but you are right; the area doesn't do all it can to create a sense of place and a spot for people to meet.

I really like the renderings of the EV riverwalk, I think that will do a better job, assuming the area develops as planned. It would be nice to have a strip of cafes and bars/restuarants lining the riverwalk, on the EV blocks on the other side of the street.

Im really excited to see how things will turn out!
As for the redevelopment of Eau Claire, I have not heard anything recently from Harvard Developments regarding the proposed plans. The Barley Mill and Prego are a favourite place of mine to hit up after a long day at work. And I know the 24 hour Gold's Gym has added a lot more mix of uses to the mall. Plus the mix of uses from the community bicycle repair shop to the violinists, art gallery, theatre and architectural firms like Kasian. I was reading in a book recently how old structures are important because it allows for a mix of economic uses that are both low and high yield. I figure it takes soooo long for this kind of diversity to be generated, and it is so easy to kill, that I would be concerned that whatever replaces Eau Claire Market preserves the mix of economic uses, but improves upon the form and adds density.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 9:29 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
As for the redevelopment of Eau Claire, I have not heard anything recently from Harvard Developments regarding the proposed plans. The Barley Mill and Prego are a favourite place of mine to hit up after a long day at work. And I know the 24 hour Gold's Gym has added a lot more mix of uses to the mall. Plus the mix of uses from the community bicycle repair shop to the violinists, art gallery, theatre and architectural firms like Kasian. I was reading in a book recently how old structures are important because it allows for a mix of economic uses that are both low and high yield. I figure it takes soooo long for this kind of diversity to be generated, and it is so easy to kill, that I would be concerned that whatever replaces Eau Claire Market preserves the mix of economic uses, but improves upon the form and adds density.
What book was it?

And yes, the irony is that by the time redevelopment of Eau Claire actually gets going there may finally be enough people living in the area for the mall to have actually done well. My concern is that new retail will try to be an outdoor "Core", full of the high end retailers that the actual "The Core" mall isn't necessarily getting due to competition from Chinook. The retail in EC really needs to be neighbourhood retail, grocery, services, etc etc, not just lunch-hour executive shopping. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised though.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 12:08 AM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
What book was it?

And yes, the irony is that by the time redevelopment of Eau Claire actually gets going there may finally be enough people living in the area for the mall to have actually done well. My concern is that new retail will try to be an outdoor "Core", full of the high end retailers that the actual "The Core" mall isn't necessarily getting due to competition from Chinook. The retail in EC really needs to be neighbourhood retail, grocery, services, etc etc, not just lunch-hour executive shopping. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised though.
The book is the "Death and Life of Great American Cities" by Jane Jacobs. The chapter about the generators of diversity she had cited as four indispensable conditions for exuberant diversity that it must have more than one primary function, blocks must be short, district must mingle old buildings, and that there must be a sufficiently dense concentration of people who are there because of residence.

I would be concerned that things like the Latin Corner Dance Studio might not be able to attract a high enough revenue to be economic in a completely redeveloped Eau Claire Market...

In addition, competition from Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew would be fierce, particularly considering that Eau Claire only has a population of less than 2,000 so would never be able to support a high end fashion area on it's own accord. Even a high-rise tower that adds 200 persons, it would still take decades to get to a district that has a substantial residential base.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 5:06 PM
Round Head

Help Design the Island!

Want to contribute to the design of St. Patrick's Island?

Participate in our second public survey and be entered to win one of three $100 gift certificates to the River Cafe.

St. Patrick's Island needs you. This 30-acre island is currently one of the least used parks in Calgary and we want to know how you'd like to see that changed. Situated in the Bow River and adjacent to the Calgary Zoo this small island is ready for a new life and that is where you come in.

As part of the master plan process the St. Patrick's Island Master Plan team is committed to public engagement and understanding what is important to all Calgarians. For the past six weeks we have conducted a series of public consultation events, including an online survey, two stakeholder World Cafe sessions, a display at Fort Calgary on Canada Day and Idea Studios on Princes Island and St. Patrick's Island.

This is the second of three surveys planned as part of the master plan process to capture the imagination, ideas and opinions of Calgarians. The images you will see within this survey are examples of what is possible on the island. You will be asked to prioritize your preference on a series of images depicting a wide array of activities and designs.

The survey will take less than 10 minutes to complete. Once completed you can enter to win one of three $100 gift cards to River Cafe*.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/small_island2

Your input is vital and we appreciate your time in completing this survey. This survey will remain open until September 6 at 11:59pm. * Full contest details online.

Through a competitive RFP process, Stantec Consulting has been retained to assist CMLC with the master plan for St. Patrick's Island and the associated public participation program.

For more details, please visit calgarymlc.ca/island or call Terry Koch, Public Participation Consultant, at Stantec (403) 716-8298.

East Village is being developed by CMLC - passionate,
experienced placemakers who inspire communities to
build, grow and believe. calgarymlc.ca

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 5:13 PM
The City That Moves

I just filled it out!

I had read through the previous survey results which are no longer available online. Apparantly, there had been a large volume of skateboard park enthusiasts who wanted a new skateboard park.

Last edited by Radley77; Jul 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM. Reason: Wooster beat me!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 6:03 PM

Done. After having tried River Cafe for the first time in my life last week, I better win this gift card, cause I gotta go back!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
I just filled it out!

I had read through the previous survey results which are no longer available online. Apparantly, there had been a large volume of skateboard park enthusiasts who wanted a new skateboard park.
Maybe because I don't skate, but St. Patrick's island and skateboarding don't seem to be that great of a fit. It's a more natural/green setting that doesn't seem to mesh with the vibe/needs of the sport.

Also I think one skate park downtown is probably enough.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Maybe because I don't skate, but St. Patrick's island and skateboarding don't seem to be that great of a fit. It's a more natural/green setting that doesn't seem to mesh with the vibe/needs of the sport.

Also I think one skate park downtown is probably enough.
While I agree that St. Patrick's might not be the best location, I disagree that one park is enough, and I don't skate at all. That skateboard park is busy pretty much around the clock, and the city desperately needs more. Downtown could easily support one or two more, and then the suburbs would need them scattered throughout as well, preferrably close to LRT stations, providing kids with easy access.

I believe Edmonton has 11, while Calgary has the one. This is a very popular activity for the City's youth and I think we need to embrace it, rather than push it to the fringes or undesireable locations.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 7:03 PM
Round Head

^ I agree Calgary needs more, but perhaps not on St. Patrick's Island. I think actually the open space at Fort Calgary would be a more suitable skate-park location for this part of town.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 7:09 PM

I guess I always thought skateboarding was one of those things you could just do anywhere on the streets, or setup some ramps in the alley. But I guess with today's safety culture, even skateboarding needs to be supervised by mommy's in a dedicated area, ha.

Personally, I'd rather something else get some love. I'd love to see some more effort into rafting/kayaking (how cool with an inner-city kayak obstacle course be). Or maybe something weird like a velodrome!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 7:19 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post

Personally, I'd rather something else get some love. I'd love to see some more effort into rafting/kayaking (how cool with an inner-city kayak obstacle course be). Or maybe something weird like a velodrome!
With the reconfiguration of the Weir that sort of short white rapids obstacle course becomes possible in that location. Would be cool.

I'm really keen to see an urban beach on a river.

Either way, it is nice to see such an engaging process that CMLC has roled out to design this park.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
With the reconfiguration of the Weir that sort of short white rapids obstacle course becomes possible in that location. Would be cool.

I'm really keen to see an urban beach on a river.

Either way, it is nice to see such an engaging process that CMLC has roled out to design this park.
Are there plans to create a sand beach on the river?? That would be sweet!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 9:04 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
The Broadway Malyan East Village master plan showed the notion of a sand beach on St. Patrick's Island. This survey also seemed illustrate it as an option for the park's edge on the river, so I assume it's a feature they are seriously considering.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 9:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
It would be, but I can't see this working. The Bow has an incredible flow rate and with the spring flow raising the level so much... I just picture a beach that has to be re-created every summer.

Maybe some of the slower parts of the Elbow, or something like the protected lagoon at Prince's Island?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 10:02 PM

A beach would be fantastic, but a nice outdoor pool/skating rink on the edge of the park in the park would be great as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates