HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:19 AM

^ it will be a nice change of pace in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:20 AM
BANNED

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ here it is.

source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,1320042.story

500 N LSD is ~500' tall, and this looks considerably taller perhaps 250'-350' taller (hard to be sure with perspective), so at least there's that........

let the shit storm of design criticism ensue!
Whoa. That sucks dick. What is this, 2004?!?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:25 AM
BANNED

Omg. I honestly can't believe shit like this is still being designed. Wow.

It's so fucking bad. And hand drawn in water color no less. Good god.

#SkylineRuiner

#UglyPieceOfShit

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:28 AM
Plenary pleasures.

The one BIG reason I really like this building, styling aside, is that there is no hideous parking garage bustle or base on the side or just under the tower. The parking for the previous tower planned on this site was supposed to share underground parking directly below that lovely park in the rendering. If that still holds for this iteration, then to me it's a big win in terms of breaking that trend.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:32 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Omg. I honestly can't believe shit like this is still being designed. Wow.

It's so fucking bad. And hand drawn in water color no less. Good god.

#SkylineRuiner

#UglyPieceOfShit
Also, what the hell is wrong with watercolor dude? It's a great form of art if done well and can even showcase building renderings like this pretty handsomely.

Calm down, you'll hurt yourself - keep in mind that renderings like this aren't very good at proving critical detail. I'm sure a better one will surface..

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:38 AM
BANNED

They can detail or render this pile of shit however they want; it will never not be a piece of shit.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:26 AM

Yeah, that's pretty heinous. Elegant massing? Absolutely not. This is just like the junk RAMS is building in NYC where there really isn't any creative massing. This stuff is just vaguely historical and not distinguished in the least. I've seen more awful designs like AMLI River North, but this is just so blah for a tower of this size. I could stomach it more easily if it were 500', but this is just a less cheesy pomo version of the delightfully cheesy 900 N Michigan which is real POMO. They probably won't use real limestone like 900 N and it will be a total precast turd.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:27 AM

^ It looks like he outsourced it to a summer intern instructed to ape the RAMSA style. It's not horrific, but is a wasted opportunity for the city and this area.

--------------

Less controversially, Fifield's E2 twin towers in Evanston are topped out and the cladding about half finished.

https://www.facebook.com/E2Apts

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:57 AM

I'd wait to see the final designs once Reilly gets them to downsize the project to alleviate the congestion concerns of his constituents. Trust me you'll be begging for this design once Reilly fiddles with it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:55 AM
TL;DR

The tower is okay I guess. Kinda reminds me of 333 North Michigan crossed with Stern's 15 Central Park West. The rendering is too fuzzy to make out any real details other than the most general massing. Obviously Stern is aided here by the pre-existing underground garage so he doesn't have to grapple with designing a podium, and he can do something with really elegant proportions.

I'm more upset that Related is redesigning the park. What exactly is wrong with the current park? It's a breath of fresh air in a city that's full of crappy, boring little traditional parks.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The tower is okay I guess. Kinda reminds me of 333 North Michigan crossed with Stern's 15 Central Park West. The rendering is too fuzzy to make out any real details other than the most general massing. Obviously Stern is aided here by the pre-existing underground garage so he doesn't have to grapple with designing a podium, and he can do something with really elegant proportions.

I'm more upset that Related is redesigning the park. What exactly is wrong with the current park? It's a breath of fresh air in a city that's full of crappy, boring little traditional parks.
I agree about the details. They're redoing the park? Wtf? Why?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:35 AM

It just seems like there was little thought put into the design. the cladding is a nice break from the glass and brown buildings around it though

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:42 AM
Chicago Kid

that thing is hideous, have to agree w/ Tom on this one

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 7:04 AM

500 n lsd

I like the design/rendering of 500 N LSD

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
North Pier or 480 N. LSD is 580', so this one looks to be about 700'.

The Canyon Ranch proposal from LR/Related several years back was about 64 floors and was to be 720'.
Honestly, I'd say more like 800'

500N LSD is 500 ft right ?

It looks substantially taller then it, atleast 50% taller for sure.

I'm expecting close to 250 meters here

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 12:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I think the rendering is just unfuzzy enough to realize we're dealing with an overwrought, super-sized River North turd at the maw of the River. Really elegant proportions? The building is massive and bloated with some turgid whimsy thrown atop, like a fat old hen wearing a pretty hat, cooing about how the children have lost their moral compass.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 12:15 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:

Wait, what about the park??

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 1:42 PM
you know where I'll be

Stern Turd

Here he's as bad as he ever was. Design (to be confirmed w better renderings) is a joke, but what can we expect from this disney 'designer'.

For those of you that continue to fall for the bait that shit like this depends on the materiality (as if the details can somehow save a piece of trash concept and overall design such as this), Kamin's article in today's Trib thrusts in the dagger, for it essentially indicates the facade will be precast above the second floor. Additionally, same article basically answers the question of why the park is being redone - Reilly considers it a failure. Related's Curt Bailey sings the praises of being able to bring Stern to Chicago.......thanks, douchebag!

I'd take the original Parkview East in a heartbeat over this POS....

We now need something even taller and of decent modern design in this vicinity to prevent this turd from 'speaking for' the Streeterville skyline.......this can not - absolutely can not - be the South Streeterville 'peak'....

Who knows, though - I guess there's always a chance we could have some sort of financial/economic collapse, social calamity, environmental disaster and/or even outright Western Civilization collapse that can prevent this pox from being built.......one can dream anyway.......

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jul 18, 2014 at 1:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:08 PM

If the Stern design was built using quality materials it actually could be pretty decent IMO. Every single building in Streeterville doesn't have to be a glass box. Looking at the other Related projects in Chicago however...my confidence is low that will be the case.

We'll most likely just be getting another painted concrete shitbox with ugly glass.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:30 PM
Windy City Dan

I'm interested to see more of the eastern facade. In all honestly, it looks like there are multiple setbacks on the east which I really appreciate. Developers here always seem to go for maximum ROI (who could blame them), setbacks seem to be the antithesis of this. So it's nice to at least see a rendering of design that isn't blatantly a pocket liner. I dunno, I kinda like it. I'm sure the materials will suck and enthusiasm will wane, but it's a nice break from Streeterville's tried and true straight up and down blue/green glass box. I agree that if lit well at night, will be quite pleasant.

Last edited by intrepidDesign; Jul 18, 2014 at 3:31 PM. Reason: atrocious spelling

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive