HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Interesting article. There is still a fairly large mostly black congregation located just off of Brodie Lane adjacent to Longview Park. I wonder whether it is one of the churches that was mentioned in the article. The area in question is listed as Kincheonville in the article. There also seem to be several African American families that currently reside in that particular quadrant of an otherwise largely white or hispanic part of town.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 3:37 AM
Meh

There are a lot of Asians in that area, too. Our grocery store is the HEB on Brodie, and you see a lot of them there. I actually see even more of them at the Target and Walmart over there. I see more there than just about anywhere else in Austin.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 9:58 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The largest concentration of the Asian population is north from North Lamar up past Braker. Even so it is the only ethnic group that is distributed across the metro.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The largest concentration of the Asian population is north from North Lamar up past Braker. Even so it is the only ethnic group that is distributed across the metro.
Well, I'd say hispanic/latino is probably more distributed. Even though there are some very concentrated areas, they are the second biggest group (after white) in pretty much every area of Austin. Even Westlake.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Well, I'd say hispanic/latino is probably more distributed. Even though there are some very concentrated areas, they are the second biggest group (after white) in pretty much every area of Austin. Even Westlake.
SW Austin is definitely mostly white or hispanic. There is also a significant number of Indians (from Indian subcontinent) living in the area judging from folks I see shopping at the HEB at Brodie/William Cannon, Whole Foods, or even at the Circle C HEB. I think there may be a higher percentage of residents from the Indian subcontinent in SW Austin than elsewhere in the metro.

I could be wrong, but I have a hunch that many of the black families residing in the "Kincheonville" (see map in the Statesman article at the start of this thread) area of SW Austin are congregants at the church located about a half mile east of Brodie on the undeveloped stretch of road (can't recall the name of the road) that winds its way from Brodie just south of Convict Hill to Longview Park. Could it be that some of these families were in this neighborhood before it was subdivided in the 1960s and beyond?

Last edited by austlar1; Jul 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 5:18 AM
Meh

By the way, when I said Asians I was including the Indians. Technically Indians are Asian as well. You see a lot of them in SW Austin especially at the 290 Walmart. Lots of Indian families there. My guess is they live in Circle C.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 5:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

A big reason for that is the the Hindu Temple that is a little to the south and west of Circle C.

http://radhamadhavdham.org

It's a beautiful Temple and is one of the largest in the United States. Originally 4th largest when it was built but I do not know about now.

They just had a major holiday on the 6th, here's the video. If you have never been, I suggest checking it out. It is a lovely place.

http://youtu.be/wIHFPCY6EQA

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 7:36 PM

Quote:
A big reason for that is the the Hindu Temple that is a little to the south and west of Circle C.

It's a beautiful Temple and is one of the largest in the United States. Originally 4th largest when it was built but I do not know about now.

They just had a major holiday on the 6th, here's the video. If you have never been, I suggest checking it out. It is a lovely place.

Good post and interesting video. I knew about the Hindu Temple, but I had no idea it had so many East Asian members. I always thought it was one of those Austin places where mostly white European types explored Hindu teaching. That certainly helps explain the presence of so many East Asians in SW Austin.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 8:30 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
South Asian, not East Asian.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
South Asian, not East Asian.
I stand corrected. Here I was trying so hard not to lump all these various folks into the "Indian" category, and I almost made them Chinese. My bad.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:

And spiritual home to a child molesting international fugitive from justice

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
And spiritual home to a child molesting international fugitive from justice
Just when I was really uncomfortable with all this "Expert" discussion of race...
Now this.
Could you post a link to what you are referng to .
would love to know.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just when I was really uncomfortable with all this "Expert" discussion of race...
Now this.
would love to know.
Why are you uncomfortable? I think the topic of ethnic diversity in Austin neighborhoods is rather interesting. It is very easy for folks to stereotype the more suburban areas of Austin as being bland and lacking in diversity. The truth is often different and worth exploring.

I also would be interested in learning more about the "child molester/ international fugitive" comment too.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
would love to know.
Fugitive Swami Prakashanand escapes to India

Quote:
An 83-year-old wheel-chair bound Indian spiritual guru, a fugitive after being convicted of groping two young girls, may have sneaked clandestinely into India, a US court has been told.

US Marshals, still looking for him, suspect that Prakashanand Saraswati, known to his devotees as Swamiji, may have fled America in connivance with his close associates.

Just days after a Hays County jury in Texas convicted him in March 2011 on 20 counts of indecency for molesting two teenagers, the self-styled guru has been missing.
wikipedia link about trial

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 5:50 PM

I seriously doubt East Indians move to that area because of that temple but I've been wrong before.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
I seriously doubt East Indians move to that area because of that temple but I've been wrong before.
Indians probably live in SW Austin for a variety of reasons including the presence of tech jobs at Freescale, AMD, Intel, etc. The video that Jdawgboy posted suggested that there are a lot of Indians participating in activities at the Hindu Temple. It would not be unusual for many of these folks to choose to live near their Temple.

Regarding the miscreant missing Hindu cleric. I now remember reading about him some time back. It probably is not fair to link his misdeeds to current activities at the Hindu Temple. It is obviously a thriving spiritual community that is meeting needs for members of the Hindu community in the Austin area.

Last edited by austlar1; Jul 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Indians probably live in SW Austin for a variety of reasons including the presence of tech jobs at Freescale, AMD, Intel, etc. The video that Jdawgboy posted suggested that there are a lot of Indians participating in activities at the Hindu Temple. It would not be unusual for many of these folks to chose to live near their Temple.
This is probably the main reason, plus it's a decent place to live. Indians tend to live near work. Activity at the temple doesn't necessarily mean they live close by.

(btw, I'm East Indian)

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:17 AM
Meh

Check out the photos link. They have an aerial from May 23, 1999.

Photos:
http://www.statesman.com/gallery/ent...gCMQT/#3591189

http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/aus...ebook_2014_sfp
Quote:
Posted: 10:00 p.m. Wednesday, July 30, 2014
When Liberty Lunch was the place

By Mike Parker

Fifteen years ago on this day, a venue that many felt epitomized the local vibe of Austin held its final hurrah.

Liberty Lunch hosted touring acts as varied as Oasis and GWAR and was considered to be one of the best music venues in Austin when it closed its doors for good July 31, 1999. Then-Austin American-Statesman reporter Chris Riemenschneider covered the final teary night of Liberty Lunch:

“The disheveled, open-air night club at 405 W. Second St. has played host to more marquee touring acts and starry-eyed local bands than anyplace else in town. More important, it proved over the years to be the one place where the hippies and rednecks of South Austin, the frat boys of West Campus, the teen-age punks from suburbia and the many music lovers who fell somewhere in between could feel comfortable on a weekend night.”

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 11:31 AM

Here'a that aerial. Amazing changes since then.

http://www.statesman.com/gallery/ent...gCMQT/#5790445

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:26 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

On the subject of the legal issue with the swami. To be fair, those types of misdeeds are unfortunately found across many of the world religions. Lest we forget not the Catholic Church Scandle. To label any culture or belief system just because of the terrible things one or a few misguided individuals do is unfair to that culture or religion.

One more interesting fact about the Hindu Religion before I move on to the posted picture of 1999 DT.

The Hindu Religion is the world's oldest and longest continuously practiced belief system on Earth dating back more than 5,000 years. To put that in perspective that's 3,000 years before Christ and roughly 1,000 years before the first Abrahamic Scriptures. Over time, several religions were born and branched out from Hinduism, the two most notable being Buddhism and Jainism.

On to that picture. It's still hard for me to believe that I was 19 when DT looked like that. It doesn't seem that long ago but so much has changed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin