HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:18 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is awesome news. I have some Uniqlo stuff from when I was in Kuala Lumpur last year. They make some nice, quality stuff that is not terribly expensive. Is this going in the old Filene's Basement space or has that already been filled? My initial thought was it was going in the Plaza Escada, but I don't think that is 830 N Michigan? I could be wrong though.
I think that's the former Filene's space. Plaza Escada is 840 N.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 6:39 PM

Does anyone have information on the soil testing that took place on the SE corner of State/Harrison a month or two back? The Harrison red line renovation reminded me that there's still that massive surface lot breaking up State Street's urban fabric.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Does anyone have information on the soil testing that took place on the SE corner of State/Harrison a month or two back? The Harrison red line renovation reminded me that there's still that massive surface lot breaking up State Street's urban fabric.
That lot was purchased recently by JRG Capital as an investment with no plans to develop at the moment.

Another nearby surface lot at 9th and State is also still quiet despite Golub's recent purchase and Plan Commission approval to build a rental tower. Has anyone heard about any movement on this?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 11:43 PM
TL;DR

I'm glad we got a Uniqlo finally but I was really hoping they would take a chance on a non-Mag Mile location. State Street, or Michigan south of the river.

Seriously, Uniqlo would be a perfect fit for John Buck's new space at 200 N Michigan, or Block 37.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm glad we got a Uniqlo finally but I was really hoping they would take a chance on a non-Mag Mile location. State Street, or Michigan south of the river.

Seriously, Uniqlo would be a perfect fit for John Buck's new space at 200 N Michigan, or Block 37.
200 N Michigan would have definitely been awesome.

If it is indeed the old Filene's basement space - isnt that street frontage pretty small?

That would be way less street frontage than the nearby TopShop or the adjacent H&M. It sounds a little underwhelming.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:39 AM

Yeah it's about 15 wide and has a very long escalator ride up. Their space would technically be on the 4th level of the building

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:13 AM

I dunno, it'll be pretty nice having a Uniqlo, an H&M, a Topman, and an AllSaints within spitting distance of each other.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I dunno, it'll be pretty nice having a Uniqlo, an H&M, a Topman, and an AllSaints within spitting distance of each other.
I've never shopped at any of these. Am I doing something wrong???

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:45 AM
The City

Topman is pretty nice. AllSaints has some good stuff but is ridiculously overpriced, IMO. I know nothing about Uniqlo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:21 AM

Uniqlo's model is to usually open up more than one store in each city. I'm going to bet we get at least 3 or 4 of them in the city by the end of 2016.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I've never shopped at any of these. Am I doing something wrong???
Other than H&M, I've never even HEARD of any of those stores.

I shop at Sports Authority. If I want designer clothes, I'll go to Gap. But then again, the most expensive thing I own is my Bears jersey.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
If I want designer clothes, I'll go to Gap.
Gap? Designer? LOL! Not even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Topman is pretty nice. AllSaints has some good stuff but is ridiculously overpriced, IMO. I know nothing about Uniqlo
Uniqlo has over 1000 stores, mainly in Asia but some in Europe and the US too. I went to one in Kuala Lumpur last year. It's a regular type of store that you could say is kind of like an H&M type of layout, but they don't TRY to be hip like H&M. At least where I went, the workers weren't pretentious and trying to be something they weren't which is something you'd find at an H&M or Zara, at least in the US. The clothes are actually decent quality. I got a 100% linen button up shirt there for $20 or $30 that is good. I also got two pairs of shorts and one of the pairs is by far the best pair of shorts I own. I got a regular Tshirt there for under $10 that is good too.

The cuts on their clothing are superior to someone like H&M. H&M has really, really bad cuts on 95% of their clothing (every once in awhile though they come up with something decent) that only looks good if you are either overweight or pretty damn skinny. If you have a muscular build then don't expect any of their cuts to make that show through in the clothing unless it's a tank top and your arms aren't covered.

If you are used to designer brands like say Armani, Theory, Prada, etc etc or even "lower" ones like Vince - and know how amazing those actually feel to your body, the quality of materials Uniqlo uses isn't at that level. However, for a $20 or $30 shirt, the quality is usually much higher than most at the same price range. I have a friend who moved here last year from NYC who semi freaked out when I told him that Uniqlo was coming to Chicago finally.

In the end, this is a good thing for the city of Chicago even if you don't buy their clothing. It means that international brands are recognizing Chicago as a shopping and economic destination. It means that not only do they feel that visitors will buy it here, but residents will recognize their brand too and if they don't then many will learn that it's good stuff if they're in the market for that stuff. It's just one more very small step in the ever going recognition that the city is a lot more than just a bunch of steakhouses, hot dog joints, and pizza parlors.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:36 AM
TL;DR

New stuff from City Council:
  • New Chinatown hotel proposed for the NW corner of Clark/Archer. 5 stories.
  • Warren Baker's redevelopment of Lincoln Centre at Lincoln/Altgeld. 12 stories, 225 units, 186 parking. SCB design is boring by downtown standards but crazy modern for Lincoln Park.

• Massive tennis center at 53rd/State. Former Robert Taylor Homes.
  • Navy Pier redevelopment, allows for renovations and Chicago Shakespeare expansion.
  • Fifield site at 1850 W. Chicago. 4 stories, 59 units, 49 parking.

• Pizzuti proposal for 1031 W. Van Buren. 30 stories, 354 units, 220 parking.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Gap? Designer? LOL! Not even close.
It's designer where I come from...

$70 for a pair of pants is designer if you ask me. Plus all their clothes fit really small. Also a designer-y trait in my book.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:39 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
[Uniqlo's] cuts on their clothing are superior to someone like H&M.
One nice thing: Uniqlo will hem any pair of pants for free, to ensure that you can get a pair with the right fit/length. I paid $30 for a nice pair of gray jeans at Uniqlo in NY.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:44 AM
BANNED

Just looked up Uniqlo... looks like American Apparel.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:48 AM

Quote:
[*]New Chinatown hotel proposed for the NW corner of Clark/Archer. 5 stories.
That's cool - it would be the new 2nd hotel in Chinatown after the one being built right now at Archer & Cermak. Any word on how big this would be? The parcel of green at the NW corner here is pretty small, but there is a parking lot next door. Would it take over all/part of that parking lot as well? With the Red line right there, McCormick Place not far away, the new Green Line not far away (opening this fall hopefully), and the possibility of Motor Row and the new DePaul arena, it only makes sense that there would be some more hotels down here.

Quote:
[*]Warren Baker's redevelopment of Lincoln Centre at Lincoln/Altgeld. 12 stories, 225 units, 186 parking. SCB design is boring by downtown standards but crazy modern for Lincoln Park.
Lincoln Centre is that place with the back tennis decks right?

Quote:
[*]Massive tennis center at 53rd/State. Former Robert Taylor Homes.
Indoor or outdoor? Or both? Very interesting. There's a lot of open space there.

Quote:
[*]Fifield site at 1850 W. Chicago. 4 stories, 59 units, 49 parking.
It would be nice to finally see this developed...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
It's designer where I come from...

$70 for a pair of pants is designer if you ask me. Plus all their clothes fit really small. Also a designer-y trait in my book.
I understand, but in reality they aren't even close to designer. The materials they use aren't very good quality - go to Saks, Barneys, or a boutique and just try on the clothing from a brand that's been around for awhile like Armani, Theory, Prada, Gucci, etc. You will instantly notice a vast difference and how comfortable they are. The difference between designer clothing and brands like Gap are utterly instant once you're used to actual designer clothing, which takes trying on just a few shirts to do. I have old shirts from places like gap and just band tshirts that feel utterly bulky now. My designer stuff usually is so well fitting and light (i.e. long sleeve tshirt stuff) that it at times feels like I'm barely wearing anything. It's effortless stuff.

Also, you can definitely get a pair of pants at Gap for less than $70.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:52 AM

Quote:
One nice thing: Uniqlo will hem any pair of pants for free, to ensure that you can get a pair with the right fit/length. I paid $30 for a nice pair of gray jeans at Uniqlo in NY.
That's awesome. What was the turn around time? I assume they have more than just a few tailors working at their busy stores then unlike some of the higher end boutiques and stores?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:57 AM
The City

Quote:
New stuff from City Council:
  • New Chinatown hotel proposed for the NW corner of Clark/Archer. 5 stories.
  • Warren Baker's redevelopment of Lincoln Centre at Lincoln/Altgeld. 12 stories, 225 units, 186 parking. SCB design is boring by downtown standards but crazy modern for Lincoln Park.

• Massive tennis center at 53rd/State. Former Robert Taylor Homes.
  • Navy Pier redevelopment, allows for renovations and Chicago Shakespeare expansion.
  • Fifield site at 1850 W. Chicago. 4 stories, 59 units, 49 parking.

• Pizzuti proposal for 1031 W. Van Buren. 30 stories, 354 units, 220 parking.

Please clarify what you mean by "stuff from City Council"?

My assumption is that if these proposals have already made it to the City Council they have been approved.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development