HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 10:55 PM

4K colorized version of the famous Bunker Hill video:

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
The Harold's establishment mentioned above and in the last couple pages at 555 S. Main St. is seen in the following undated photo:

http://www.amoeba.com/blog/2013/06/eric-s-blog.html
Just FYI, the street-level exterior of Harold's Cafe aka Harold's Entertainment at 555 S. Main St., as well as of the two adjacent businesses to its right, can all be seen in color circa ~1981 in season 2, episode 15 of Hill Street Blues, "Some Like It Hot-Wired".

Harold's and "Camera Exchange" (553 S. Main St.) both play backdrop to Officer Renko's pay phone call midway through the episode. A separate scene later in the same episode again shows Camera Exchange and an unidentified, adjacent XXX theater at, presumably, 551 S. Main St.

I spotted all of these while researching filming locations -- something of a hobby of mine -- and this thread proved to be the key to my nailing down the location, as Martin's photo was a perfect match, showing both Harold's and Camera Exchange side-by-side.

Hopefully this post, in turn, will prove of interest to you all!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 10:21 PM

Thanks for your help on the Wilshire Coronado Center, HossC and GaylordWilshire.

I see there is a Tip's at the bottom of the art deco tower.

full photo HERE

eBay

Cocktails and Pancakes.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 12, 2020 at 10:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo8888 View Post
Just FYI, the street-level exterior of Harold's Cafe aka Harold's Entertainment at 555 S. Main St., as well as of the two adjacent businesses to its right, can all be seen in color circa ~1981 in season 2, episode 15 of Hill Street Blues, "Some Like It Hot-Wired".

Harold's and "Camera Exchange" (553 S. Main St.) both play backdrop to Officer Renko's pay phone call midway through the episode. A separate scene later in the same episode again shows Camera Exchange and an unidentified, adjacent XXX theater at, presumably, 551 S. Main St.

I spotted all of these while researching filming locations -- something of a hobby of mine -- and this thread proved to be the key to my nailing down the location, as Martin's photo was a perfect match, showing both Harold's and Camera Exchange side-by-side.

Hopefully this post, in turn, will prove of interest to you all!

Many thanks, gweilo8888, for this further information! New information is always welcome!!!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 11:57 PM

I don't believe we have seen this photograph of the Tail O' the Pup on nla.

It was taken in 1963 by photographer, Julian Wasser.

1stdibs

Judging by the location of Mount Sinai Hospital this isn't the La Cienega and Beverly Blvd. location. This location is a bit farther west on Beverly Blvd. but I forget the cross street.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 12:09 AM

Have been away from looking in on this thread since March and ws SURE that the last
page number I saw was much higher. Am I imagining things or was there some sort of
re-numbering done? The inquiring minds really wants to know.

Thanks -- and am SO glad to be back & lurking.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGAL 72 View Post
Have been away from looking in on this thread since March and ws SURE that the last
page number I saw was much higher. Am I imagining things or was there some sort of
re-numbering done? The inquiring minds really wants to know.

Thanks -- and am SO glad to be back & lurking.
I have been logged in for months, and I'm set at 25 replies/page.
This (for me) is page 2227.

If you're set at 20 replies per page, this is 2784.

Make of it what you will...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I don't believe we have seen this photograph of the Tail O' the Pup on nla.

It was taken in 1963 by photographer, Julian Wasser.

1stdibs

Judging by the location of Mount Sinai Hospital this isn't the La Cienega and Beverly Blvd. location. This location is a bit farther west on Beverly Blvd. but I forget the cross street.

Looks about right to me, Cedars is about a block or so west of La Cienega.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 6:55 AM

I took the Ruschamobile, 1966 model, for a spin down Sunset and arrived in pre-hipster Silverlake...just past Micheltorena St. was a fairly drab streetscape of nondescript storefronts...I noted a few businesses with nominal signage, basically just the name of the place....I took these to be windowless bars, and perhaps not your typical neighborhood tavern, where you might pop in with the missus for a highball and a game of bar-top shuffleboard on a given Saturday night....just sayin'...

3335-3337 Sunset Blvd.

gsv

3037 Sunset Blvd.

gsv

2939 Sunset Blvd.

gsv

3111 Sunset Blvd....the building has been demolished.

Wait, what?....I have been in hundreds of bars, never saw a place with these hours...then as now a 2 A.M. curfew for alcohol, no?....

All of these joints appeared in The Address Book, a kind of Green Book for the gay community....1965 edition....  

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your help on the Wilshire Coronado Center, HossC and GaylordWilshire.

I see there is a Tip's at the bottom of the art deco tower.

full photo HERE

eBay

Cocktails and Pancakes.

Are there any Tip's left? There used to be a big one at the start of the Ridge Route (now I-5) just north of Newhall. And whatever became of the "Flying A" (Andromeda) gas stations? I recall Mobil (Standard of NY) used it for a while, but the they merged with Exxon (Standard of NJ) and the horse left us. The flying horse was a nice symbol that should have been preserved. Some of the little things in the noirish past I miss. I miss the Richfield tower and the Flying A gas stations, and a lot more.

There were rules back then, some silly, but life was more predictable. Now we have anarchy and life seems chaotic, a wild ride from day to day, and human beings live on the sidewalks. At least in the '30s they had shantytowns called "Hoovervilles" if they couldn't fork over 50 cents for a bed at a flophouse or a dollar for a room. And people dressed up, even the poor. Rules. Civility.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 13, 2020 at 11:50 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Looks about right to me, Cedars is about a block or so west of La Cienega.
Yes, but Cedars Sinai is a bit south of Beverly Boulevard so there's no way the hospital building in the ummm. . .err. . .whoa.

I stand corrected, Bill.

google_earth

I was thinking of the more modern main building at Cedars Sinai which is half a block south of Beverly Blvd. (the one you can drive under)

& I had this San Vicente address in the back of my mind. (shown below)

wiki

. .which was much later than 1963. (by several decades)

While googling I found some interesting images of the expansion of Mount Sinai Hospital. ( eventually to include Cedars of Lebanon Hospital)

scalar

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . - 1963 is the same year as the Wasser photograph.

And here's the building I was thinking of earlier.

scalar

The smaller building on the right is the building in the Wasser photograph

I'm having a difficult time concentrating. my mom is watching an Elvis Presley movie.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 6:19 PM

So you're...all shook up?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, but Cedars Sinai is a bit south of Beverly Boulevard so there's no way the hospital building in the ummm. . .err. . .whoa.

I stand corrected, Bill.

google_earth

I was thinking of the more modern main building at Cedars Sinai which is half a block south of Beverly Blvd. (the one you can drive under)

The smaller building on the right is the building in the Wasser photograph

scalar

I'm having a difficult time concentrating. my mom is watching an Elvis Presley movie.
I hear a lot about Cedars since the kid is an OR nurse there. Those streets have been renamed for George Burns and Gracie Allen.

ETA: Speaking of Cedars, here's their original location on Carroll Ave.
_5090008.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

Last edited by BillinGlendaleCA; Oct 13, 2020 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
I took the Ruschamobile, 1966 model, for a spin down Sunset and arrived in pre-hipster Silverlake...just past Micheltorena St. was a fairly drab streetscape of nondescript storefronts...I noted a few businesses with nominal signage, basically just the name of the place....I took these to be windowless bars, and perhaps not your typical neighborhood tavern, where you might pop in with the missus for a highball and a game of bar-top shuffleboard on a given Saturday night....just sayin'...

3335-3337 Sunset Blvd.
Nice post riichkay! I lived in the area mid-transition from then to now, fun to see the old 'hood.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanklem View Post

These guys need a half-decent tailor.

Quote:

streetgangs.com

Add re: Clanton St., four gang members on the corner of Essex and Clanton St., 1947.

^^^
Are these gentlemen wearing "zoot suits"? Where can you buy one of those? Maybe at Men's Wearhouse? Amazon? Cool look.

During WWII, US soldiers, aided by their superiors and by civilians alike, rampaged and brutalized young Mexican American men in Los Angeles. The soldiers’ excuse for the pogrom was because they felt disrespected by the Zoot Suiter’s famed partying and dancing during wartime while soldiers were fighting a war. Never mind that Mexican Americans disproportionately and famously filled the ranks of frontline fighters in the war. Considering this photo is taken five or so years after those atrocities, I think it would be safe to surmise that these young men felt perfectly comfortable with their trusted tailors and were unlikely interested in getting a new look. Note that homeboy on the right seems ready to throw down, and can perhaps be heard echoing something like “orale ese, you still don’t like my Zoot Suit?”

Last edited by GatoVerde; Oct 14, 2020 at 5:34 AM. Reason: missing word

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:44 PM

Shops and Bars On Sunset

Quote:

3335-3337 Sunset Blvd.

gsv

3037 Sunset Blvd.

gsv

2939 Sunset Blvd.

gsv

3111 Sunset Blvd....the building has been demolished.

Wait, what?....I have been in hundreds of bars, never saw a place with these hours...then as now a 2 A.M. curfew for alcohol, no?....

All of these joints appeared in The Address Book, a kind of Green Book for the gay community....1965 edition....  

I grew up on the hill in back of 3111 Sunset in the 40's to early 60's. In the early years the corner building now gone was a liquor store then a bar (The Crow Bar) and probably other names along the way. I would stop at Soo Hoo on the way home from Michaeltorena St. School and buy smoked Salmon in a little pack and also peas for my pea shooter. The corner of Silverlake and Sunset was a cleaners, Elite Market, radio-tv repair, shoe repair shop and a hardware store (formerly a soda shop). There was a Taxi stand there also. All changed and gone now, just memories.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 4:14 PM

Excellent post, riichkay. . . and thanks for sharing your memories, Hollywood Graham.
Dive bars, more often than not, are the bars with the most character.

There is a divey looking bar called the Flamingo in this photograph of a fire at 1035 N. La Brea.

Here's a closer look with the contrast adjusted.

eBay

. . . . Judging by those 8 x 10s it appears the bar showcased female entertainers. (strip joint? )

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 14, 2020 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:28 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;9072919].
Excellent post, riichkay. . . and thanks for sharing your memories, Hollywood Graham.
Dive bars, more often than not, are the bars with the most character.

There is a divey looking bar called the Flamingo in this photograph of a fire at 1035 N. La Brea.

Here's a closer look with the contrast adjusted.

eBay

. . . . Judging by those 8 x 10s it appears the bar showcased female entertainers. (strip joint? )

Female impersonators

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
Quote:
[SIZE="1"]
eBay

Female impersonators

Interesting to see bicycles parked outside a club.

According to the One Archives, this was the Club Flamingo at 1027 N. La Brea.
https://one.usc.edu/archive-location/club-flamingo

Info:
Alternate Names:
Flamingo
First Document: 1940
Last Document: 1949
Address:
Club Flamingo
1027 N La Brea
Los Angeles, CA

Club Flamingo also listed on the US Navy Out of Bounds list:
https://one.usc.edu/reference/ladail...ives-riverside

Listing as the Flamingo Club in 1947 L.A. Phone Book:

https://martinturnbull.com/2015/01/1...elephone-book/

Below info from this LINK, where you can also view an entire Club Flamingo program.

A 1949 ad...

A 1951 L.A. TImes clip:

Author Jon Ponder, who is working on a book on Los Angeles
night clubs estimates the Flamingo Club was open from
circa 1941 until it's forced closing around April, 1951.

The LINK for this matchbook cover says: "Another hangout of Elizabeth Short." Apparently she hung out everywhere.

Speaking of Club Flamingo:

Police Squad Episode 1:
http://tvmegasite.net/images/primeti...stepisode/?N=D

Last edited by Martin Pal; Oct 14, 2020 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 11:51 PM

Excerpt from Hollywood Graham's reply to the Silverlake gay bars post:

"The corner of Silverlake and Sunset was a cleaners, Elite Market, radio-tv repair, shoe repair shop and a hardware store (formerly a soda shop). There was a Taxi stand there also". 

The '66 Ed Ruscha images confirm your recollection...

Martin Pal's above post of the 1947 phone directory shows the dance place was then Club Zarape.

By July '74 the tower had been partially removed (an online building permit indicates it had been damaged in the '71 quake).....

When Ruscha returned to the intersection in Aug. 1975 the east side of the building and most of the 2nd floor, and the tower, were in the process of demolition....

The "bones" of the west side of the building and a small portion of the 2nd floor (and the awning) go back to the original construction....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos