HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 2:58 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
Agreed, take it to PMs guys !!!! stop beating a dead horse

Anyways....another beautiful day in NYC, and they keep on working on top.....here comes the blimp

DSC_0061 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
Another Great shot my Man !!!!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 3:41 PM

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...r-fall-at-1wtc

Doesn't sound too serious, luckily, but another incident....

UPDATE: Oops never mind I see on the last page someone else already posted on this....

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mitchwaxman/7750697528/sizes/l/in/photostream/]Mitch

I remember seeing this photo with the Twins at night.Does anyone know what picture I'm referring to?

It's a pic of the Twin Towers at night with the setting of this same junkyard.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 4:14 PM

FWIW, Childs himself has said that his own design is intended to allude, not to the Statue of Liberty, but rather the Washington Monument.

In the linked article, which obviously has not been updated recently, there is a detailed discussion of the original spire. Note that Childs describes it as "critical" to realizing his artistic vision of the building:

Quote:
“It is critical to the nature of the design,” says David Childs, SOM consulting design partner. He explains that it visually completes the tower, much the same way a capital completes a column.
Given the fact that Childs is no doubt privately seething over the decision to replace his sculptural spire with a cheap toothpick, it may still not be too late to get the New York tabloids into a lather over this and plaster it on their front pages. Those of you who feel strongly about this should organize a mass e-mail campaign to the New York Post and New York Daily News. You may get results.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 4:33 PM

If you read the detailed discussion of the original spire on that page, and all the thought that went into it, Durst's insult because all the more outrageous. To suggest that SOM went into all this detail on the spire and then amazingly forgot to account for how it would be maintained, which is what Durst claims, is a bald-faced lie pure and simple. That Durst has not yet been called to account for this lie is bewildering to say the least.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 4:56 PM

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 5:16 PM

For those of you who are interested in drumming up news media interest/outrage over the scrapping of the original spire, you have a news hook: the revised drawings of 1 WTC were released within the past few days. It would have been better to approach the media a couple of months ago, when the changes were first announced, but you've been given a second chance. However, the window of opportunity will close quickly. A week from now the new drawings will be ancient history, as far as the news media is concerned.

So, if you care as much as you say you do, bombard the media with emails asking for an investigation into this. Your best bets are the New York Post, the New York Daily News, the New York Observer and the Village Voice. The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal are not likely to care.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 5:22 PM

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...r-fall-at-1wtc

Doesn't sound too serious, luckily, but another incident....

UPDATE: Oops never mind I see on the last page someone else already posted on this....
Just bruised, nothing broken, was going to be released last night. Lucky man.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 6:47 PM

It's kind of weird, but I think I'll miss all the construction update pictures when this one wraps up..

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
It's kind of weird, but I think I'll miss all the construction update pictures when this one wraps up..
I Agree... Its Gonna Be Different Without The Construction. Like when They Finished The 9/11 Memorial, I Missed Checking in on It Daily Like I Do with One Wtc.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 7:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'm gonna miss seeing Carlos' excellent photos of One World Trade Center (as well as many other people's). But after not too long he might have a good view of 432 Park Avenue to share with us.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru Bert View Post
It Seems The Tower Has Topped at the 105th Floor. The Communications Ring has Yet to be Started Still. Otherwise you didn't Miss Much!

As far as I'm concerned, that is where the top out point is. From now on it's the laying down of the concrete floors and the glass skin that needs catching up. It will be soon.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 8:41 PM

We still have a bit of work to look forward to.
We have
Glass panel installation
Communication Ring installation
Base Cladding
the Antenna.
So we' have a good 8 months of work to view.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 8:54 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
who cares about the antenna spire like seriously can't you all just shut up about that and watch the building get completed, ffs a bunch of little whiners, get over it, if you like it or not it doesn't really matter, and the stupid debate whether its supposed to represent the liberty torch does it really matter like seriously if it was supposed to or not doesn't really matter, seriously
You're right, but its easy to say that since you won't have to look at this "spire" everyday. But on to other news, yes, it will be a little weird that the construction updates will soon end but now that 1 WTC has topped out, we have witness the NYC skyline grow back to its full extent and in the coming years, we will see it continue to grow as more and more buildings pop up. This is truly just the beginning and I'm going to try to visit New York every year to be in the same caliber as Carlos, NYguy, Hunser, and all the other guys who spent their time to take and/or show these pictures to us. Keep up the good work as we see 432 Park, Hudson Yards, and other towers join the ever-changing skyline.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 9:15 PM

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
As far as I'm concerned, that is where the top out point is. From now on it's the laying down of the concrete floors and the glass skin that needs catching up. It will be soon.
Ya But the Main Structure Has Topped. Now We Have Just a Bit More Work on Top Still.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
You just can't wrap your mind arround the facts,
I see you still cling to your misguided understanding. It's ok, that's why I'm here. I'll continue to correct you even when you don't seem capable of accepting it. In fact, it's one of the reasons I'm on the forum in the first place.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1657195/posts
Freedom Tower Spire To Resemble Lady Liberty

Jun 28, 2006

Quote:
Designed to evoke the Statue of Liberty's torch, the spire that tops the 1,776-foot Freedom Tower will feature a revolving beacon that could change color and cast beams of light into the sky, while thousands of glass prisms will cover the building's 20-story, windowless base.

The spire that creates the building's symbolic, 1,776-foot height will be covered in a white, fiberglass structure that a sculptor is helping to create, designers say. Daniel Libeskind, the original architect of the Freedom Tower, initially designed the spire to be off-center on a twisting building meant to resemble the Statue of Liberty. The spire remains in the center of the building, but the new design calls for a pedestal, housing satellite dishes and antennas, that more closely resembles the statue's torch.
The Port Authority was in no way committed to the antenna - negotiations broke off long ago, and only relatively recently did the broadcasters get back on board. The one thing that was certain from the PA (and of course the state) - there would be a spire one way or another. They weren't committed to the "bulkier" version of the spire at the time because they didn't know if it would be necessary without the antenna.

Your revisionist history won't work with someone who has followed this redevelopment every step of the way from day one. Try it with more gullable types, but here we will stick to the facts as they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
FWIW, Childs himself has said that his own design is intended to allude, not to the Statue of Liberty, but rather the Washington Monument.

In the linked article, which obviously has not been updated recently, there is a detailed discussion of the original spire. Note that Childs describes it as "critical" to realizing his artistic vision of the building:

Childs Washington Monument allusion was for the entire tower. As far as the spire being critical to his artistic vision of the building, why would he do it any other way? He may not have planned a spire - and for those who think he did it just to hide the antenna, his original tower included antennas and no spire - but because the spire was mandated, he designed the building to work with a spire, and the bare antenna that they plan to top it with now doesn't do his vision justice. They continue to insists that it is a spire, and it may very well be ruled a spire.

The building is still pleasant to look at, it just won't be all that it could have been.

nrhodesphotos

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post

To simply stick any spire in any form, goes to prove that you know nothing of the history of the design of this building nor its motivation. The building was commanded by the PA to hold a large antenna for possible transmission of broadcast signals (A vital source of revenue). The height of that antenna was dictated by the need to keep Libesind's magical 1776 foot height. Covering it in a sculptural paneling satisfied the criteria of the CTBUH in including it to the building's height.

Please just admit that you are presuming everything and have no hard evidence and we can be done with this silly pissing contest.

So wait, you're saying NYGuy shouldn't be moderator and then you accuse him of knowing "nothing" of the history of this building? The same NYGuy that has posted hundreds and hundreds of carefully read and highlighted articles on this site?

You see, this is why everyone hates you.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:52 AM

]Traynor;5796006]
Quote:
You see, this is why you should never be a moderator... I have never gotten personal, but in your moderating you always attack the person directly, not the argument. Bad form.

To simply stick any spire in any form, goes to prove that you know nothing of the history of the design of this building nor its motivation. The building was commanded by the PA to hold a large antenna for possible transmission of broadcast signals (A vital source of revenue). The height of that antenna was dictated by the need to keep Libesind's magical 1776 foot height. Covering it in a sculptural paneling satisfied the criteria of the CTBUH in including it to the building's height.

Please just admit that you are presuming everything and have no hard evidence and we can be done with this silly pissing contest.
Firstly, I think you should learn the job of a moderator before you criticize, he volunteers his time and effort to do a very difficult job that he gets no pay for, believe me, I know.

Secondly, from the very start,when Daniel Liberskind first design was released, the building had a spire. David Child's idea for the spire came from when he first came to the U.S and wanted to evoke the torch in the Statue of Liberty's hand. From the very beginning, this building was to have a spire. The redesigned plan was to make the building, 1,368, the height of the original North Tower, and add a spire, that makes it 1,776, the year of the declaration of Independence. Simple as that.

Last edited by chris123678; Aug 13, 2012 at 3:21 PM. Reason: mix up of names.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive