HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Here's a photo from Boston02124 on ArchBoston.org.
http://archboston.com/community/thre...74/post-386209
I just moved to Boston this past year and know exactly what you mean.

It's not amazing, but it's great for the city and what the future holds.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 2:41 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightOn! View Post
I just moved to Boston this past year and know exactly what you mean.

It's not amazing, but it's great for the city and what the future holds.
If you haven't already, check out https://archboston.com/community/.
It's not as well organized as I would like, and the floor counts and building heights aren't in the thread titles for some reason, but it's the best source for buildings in Boston. And when it's safe, check out Portland, Maine. It's awesome.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 2:46 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
I must be missing the resemblance.
This building is just one example of many. But the resemblance is the basic shape and size, the general plainness of the building with just hints of ornamentation which are often just different colored outer wall pieces. They're blocky buildings with a larger base, tower and offset balcony level on top of the faux-shorter tower. There are a lot of them in New York, Boston, Miami, Seattle, Philadelphia and just about any other city with more than two buildings going up each year. But San Antonio, sadly, only has two buildings going up each year in the downtown area, so I guess I should be happy with this one. As I've said, I'll take it.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
This building is just one example of many. But the resemblance is the basic shape and size, the general plainness of the building with just hints of ornamentation which are often just different colored outer wall pieces. They're blocky buildings with a larger base, tower and offset balcony level on top of the faux-shorter tower. There are a lot of them in New York, Boston, Miami, Seattle, Philadelphia and just about any other city with more than two buildings going up each year. But San Antonio, sadly, only has two buildings going up each year in the downtown area, so I guess I should be happy with this one. As I've said, I'll take it.
Got it.

So much of San Antonio’s office finance jobs are located in sprawling campuses like the one I worked in. 600,000 square feet all over one floor. That seems to be how a lot companies are going too.

Now with COVID I wonder what will happen with offices going forward.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 12:51 AM

Wow! Great building! I also really like the grey & glass. I think for the most part everyone on the this forum (with the exception of the same posters that pretty much don't like anything & REALLY want their opinions known!) will agree on how cool of a project this is!!!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
Wow! Great building! I also really like the grey & glass. I think for the most part everyone on the this forum (with the exception of the same posters that pretty much don't like anything & REALLY want their opinions known!) will agree on how cool of a project this is!!!
Agreed!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
While I do too, someone does not...

Quote:
In an Oct. 20 Design Review Committee meeting, HDRC chairman Jeff Fetzer said the gray brick of the tower portion was a bit out of character for San Antonio, but not that something new couldn't be proposed, according to a staff report. Other commissioners said, based on the report, that the materials are appropriate. The full HDRC will review the plans Dec. 16.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...ory-tower.html

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 9:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

It won't be a blight on the skyline but it certainly will be far from the best building downtown. I'll enjoy watching it go up. It just hope it's a one of a kind and that the next buildings are more imaginative and more aesthetically pleasing.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 11:46 PM
James

Proposed 32-story apartment tower by Weston Urban lands key approval

Quote:
The group behind Frost Tower landed its first design approval Wednesday for its next major downtown project.

The Historic and Design Review Commission granted conceptual approval to Weston Urban's proposed 32-story apartment tower at 305 Soledad St. without discussion. The development group will need to return to the commission for final approval before obtaining a building permit.

The project would add 351 residential units to the city's core along with 7,250 square feet of retail space and a six-level parking garage with 456 spaces, according to Planning Commission documents from a previous request for the city to alter property lines.

Project team members referenced in the documents include architectural firm Page Southerland Page Inc. and Campbell Landscape Architecture.

The site is currently a parking lot bounded by Soledad, East Travis, North Main and West Pecan streets. Construction is estimated to cost more than $107 million and is expected to begin in mid-2021 with completion by 2023.

In an Oct. 20 Design Review Committee meeting, HDRC chairman Jeff Fetzer said the gray brick of the tower portion was a bit out of character for San Antonio, but not that something new couldn't be proposed, according to a staff report. Other commissioners said, based on the report, that the materials are appropriate.

In a letter to the commission, Patti Ziontz, president of the Conservation Society of San Antonio, wrote that the 32-story tower is "excessively tall" and would overwhelm nearby landmarks like the Rand Building and Robert E. Lee Hotel.
First hurdle done!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 11:47 PM

Proposed 32-story apartment tower by Weston Urban lands key approval

By Mitchell Parton – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
an hour ago

The group behind Frost Tower landed its first design approval Wednesday for its next major downtown project.

The Historic and Design Review Commission granted conceptual approval to Weston Urban's proposed 32-story apartment tower at 305 Soledad St. without discussion. The development group will need to return to the commission for final approval before obtaining a building permit.

The project would add 351 residential units to the city's core along with 7,250 square feet of retail space and a six-level parking garage with 456 spaces, according to Planning Commission documents from a previous request for the city to alter property lines.

Project team members referenced in the documents include architectural firm Page Southerland Page Inc. and Campbell Landscape Architecture.

A ground-level rendering of the proposed tower on Soledad Street downtown.
Enlarge
PAGE SOUTHERLAND PAGE INC.

The site is currently a parking lot bounded by Soledad, East Travis, North Main and West Pecan streets. Construction is estimated to cost more than $107 million and is expected to begin in mid-2021 with completion by 2023.

In an Oct. 20 Design Review Committee meeting, HDRC chairman Jeff Fetzer said the gray brick of the tower portion was a bit out of character for San Antonio, but not that something new couldn't be proposed, according to a staff report. Other commissioners said, based on the report, that the materials are appropriate.

In a letter to the commission, Patti Ziontz, president of the Conservation Society of San Antonio, wrote that the 32-story tower is "excessively tall" and would overwhelm nearby landmarks like the Rand Building and Robert E. Lee Hotel.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 12:02 AM

It WILL be approved overwhelmingly!
It will be exciting watching this one go up!!!!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysal View Post
By Mitchell Parton – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
an hour ago

Enlarge
PAGE SOUTHERLAND PAGE INC.

They did acknowledge Ziontz's comment, and stated that nearby buildings such as the Weston Centre, The BOA Building, and the Milam building were just as tall.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysal View Post
That is ridiculous. Literally deserving of ridicule.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
That is ridiculous. Literally deserving of ridicule.
Not to worry, it seems Weston has the backing!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 1:31 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

No offense, but totally with all offense, she can kick rocks. Either she’s being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, or she has nothing better to do with her time.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 1:53 PM

Congrats on the green light, y'all! Not the most show stopping of designs, but it will greatly help street level interaction and bring more 24/7 life to downtown. Can't wait to see construction progress

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 9:39 PM

An article in the San Antonio Express News has been posted about the green light for this tower. I am liking the design a lot lately, the more I see the renderings. In addition, this tower will really tower over all the other buildings around it, and will make a huge impact to the skyline!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
An article in the San Antonio Express News has been posted about the green light for this tower. I am liking the design a lot lately, the more I see the renderings. In addition, this tower will really tower over all the other buildings around it, and will make a huge impact to the skyline!
Do you have a link to the EN article? I actually take back part of my comment....I didn't realize most, if not all of the facade is brick! This is going to be absolutely stunning!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 2:46 AM

Who is this Patti Ziontz and why does every article contain their concerns. This person needs to go pound sand. And yes, I logged on for the first time in forever just to say that.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 2:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
They did acknowledge Ziontz's comment, and stated that nearby buildings such as the Weston Centre, The BOA Building, and the Milam building were just as tall.
And of course Frost. This would be the 6th tallest building (including the tower). In the future it will be the 7th, 8th, 9th tallest etc. Whatever, lady.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio