HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:20 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ I would love to see some new photos of the area. A lot has changed and Google satellite view is very out of date. Somebody with a drone, please please go get some nice shots of the downtown, Broadway, and Pig & Pearl areas.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 5:19 PM

Once spring comes in and everything turns green I plan to do some helicopter photo tours over downtown to update my skyline set now that the Thompson, Canopy, and Frost exteriors are all done.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:10 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Once spring comes in and everything turns green I plan to do some helicopter photo tours over downtown to update my skyline set now that the Thompson, Canopy, and Frost exteriors are all done.
(like button)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
AWESOME!!!!
Can't wait !!!!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 1:45 PM

GrayStreet has decided to sell its Broadway East property rather than develop it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...dway-east.html

Quote:
GrayStreet appears to have chosen to sell instead of pursuing its original plan to build apartments, offices, retail, plazas and parking at the 20-plus-acre development site across Broadway east of Pearl.

The group is selling 14.7 acres of its land on the property, according to JLL, excluding its planned apartment complex in partnership with Encore Development just south of the existing 1800 Broadway apartments.
Maybe Silver Ventures will buy it.

Taking bets on how soon GrayStreet sell Lone Star as well.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 2:32 PM
James

Yikes. Well, maybe this will get off the ground faster. It probably won't be called Pearl East though.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 2:36 PM

I can only hope they are selling those assests to raise capital for the W hotel project. Also, while I'd love to see silver ventures buy it, I'd be happy to have a large out of town developer come in and throw their spin on the area.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
i can only hope they are selling those assests to raise capital for the w hotel project. Also, while i'd love to see silver ventures buy it, i'd be happy to have a large out of town developer come in and throw their spin on the area.
+1

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 5:05 PM

Weston Urban buys former Navy Club site on River Walk

https://saheron.com/weston-urban-buys-former-navy-club/

Weston Urban has purchased an historic building on the River Walk that once housed the famous Navy Club nightclub in order to provide river access to the adjacent Milam Building, which it plans to refurbish.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 5:08 PM

Not surprised at all about them selling it off. I know they have some defenders in this forum but I honestly don't understand how they are still in business. They seem to take huge risks without really having the experience to pull it off. They almost seem like day traders of stocks, everything is fine when it's a bull market but it's a house of cards when things aren't as sunny. I'd be happy to be wrong though, maybe they're just going to focus their efforts on Lone Star

I will say their masterplan is pretty cool, maybe that's their value, taking land and getting it more shovel ready... I know they got some TIRZ money for infrastructure and I think they rezoned things. I hope the TIRZ doesn't fall apart if it doesn't start development soon, I live in the area and would love to have better infrastructure over there.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Weston Urban buys former Navy Club site on River Walk

https://saheron.com/weston-urban-buys-former-navy-club/

Weston Urban has purchased an historic building on the River Walk that once housed the famous Navy Club nightclub in order to provide river access to the adjacent Milam Building, which it plans to refurbish.
Hmm, the article says they've decided not to make the Milam Building an office building because the ceilings are too low. I guess that means it'll be residential, because what other option is there (don't say hotel)?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Hmm, the article says they've decided not to make the Milam Building an office building because the ceilings are too low. I guess that means it'll be residential, because what other option is there (don't say hotel)?
It would make an awesome New York-syle "pre-war" apartment building.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 12:22 PM

"For now, GrayStreet appears to be simply disposing of assets for income."

https://sanantonioreport.org/develop...ty-near-pearl/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 7:10 PM

During the tourism slump, San Antonio should kick its addiction to incentivizing downtown hotels

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/...owntown-hotels

San Antonio stands at a crossroads.

The coronavirus pandemic has devastated our economy and caused enormous social and economic pain for our citizens. That pain has been greatest for those who work in the visitor and hospitality sectors. The convention business has collapsed, travel has shrunk

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 7:11 PM

Hitting Bottom: How the pandemic is upending San Antonio’s hospitality industry

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/...HomeTopFeature

When the pandemic began siphoning off River Walk tourism early last spring, Oscar Noin thought he was seeing a repeat of the downturn he’d ridden out after 9/11.

Noin, the head server

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Hitting Bottom: How the pandemic is upending San Antonio’s hospitality industry

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/...HomeTopFeature

When the pandemic began siphoning off River Walk tourism early last spring, Oscar Noin thought he was seeing a repeat of the downturn he’d ridden out after 9/11.

Noin, the head server

It's upending the industry all over the world!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 1:46 AM

When the tourist do feel compelled to travel they will want to explore places that had changed. Other cities are already planning ways to get the tourist back. This is where the City of San Antonio needs to get the ball rolling to start working on the Alamo grounds redesign project and get it done quickly as possible.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
When the tourist do feel compelled to travel they will want to explore places that had changed. Other cities are already planning ways to get the tourist back. This is where the City of San Antonio needs to get the ball rolling to start working on the Alamo grounds redesign project and get it done quickly as possible.
The Alamo grounds project is a disaster, I never liked the designs they rolled out. Instead the city needs to get rolling on the Hemisfair Park. We have seen nothing done in that huge empty lot still.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
The Alamo grounds project is a disaster, I never liked the designs they rolled out. Instead the city needs to get rolling on the Hemisfair Park. We have seen nothing done in that huge empty lot still.
No kidding. What's taking so long? If they're not going to build for awhile, why not open it temporarily so people can play sports and utilize it?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I can only hope they are selling those assests to raise capital for the W hotel project. Also, while I'd love to see silver ventures buy it, I'd be happy to have a large out of town developer come in and throw their spin on the area.
"Across from the cluster of Broadway East properties it is selling, GrayStreet plans to develop a 20-story building with a W Hotel and offices.

The 195-room hotel is in the final planning stage, according to a report by data firm STR, which tracks the hospitality industry. Projects in that phase are confirmed and under contract, and hotel construction is expected to begin in the next 12 months, STR spokeswoman Haley Luther said."

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sa-inc/...photo-20533938

I'm taking that timeline with a grain of salt, but we'll see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio