HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 10:02 PM
Sonoma Strong

nice pix. a very balanced skyline

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 1:33 AM
Closed account

What is that curved building in the pic taken in Uptown? Never seen it before.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 6:18 PM

flickr by baldheretic

flickr by baldheretic

flickr by baldheretic

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 6:59 PM

flickr N172DL

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 7:00 PM

flickr N172DL

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 7:02 PM

flickr N172DL

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 3:25 PM
3rd Coast King

My Book

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 9:11 PM

^^ You always have Incredibly amazing pictures of Houston. Very fitting for this thread!

Can't wait till next week when I'll be back in H-Town.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 9:39 PM

flickr N172DL

flickr N172DL

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 10:22 PM
Ex Houstonian

The area from the medical center to downtown could really be a hot spot for development in the coming decades. Theres so many vacant lots and abandoned buildings. I hope they dont ruin that area like that did to the west of downtown with a bunch of suburban styles apartments and houses.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 1:38 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
The area from the medical center to downtown could really be a hot spot for development in the coming decades. Theres so many vacant lots and abandoned buildings. I hope they dont ruin that area like that did to the west of downtown with a bunch of suburban styles apartments and houses.
I thought the area between the med center and downtown had already been a hot spot for infill. When I drove through there recently, it was full of new condos, block after block. You can see the new development in the photo that shows the med center and downtown, and the area in between. Maybe we're not talking about the same area.

Anyone know where that last photo shows? I don't recognize that industrial area. Sort of looks like an area just southeast or east of downtown, but I don't recognize the more modern looking buildings in the upper left of the photo.

The Uptown photo is the best I've ever seen of that area from the air.

Last edited by AusHou; Oct 2, 2010 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 7:06 PM
"the irish-mexican"

Anyone know where that last photo shows? I don't recognize that industrial area. Sort of looks like an area just southeast or east of downtown, but I don't recognize the more modern looking buildings in the upper left of the photo.

[/QUOTE]

The last photo is the Gulfton area. Those buildings are on Hillcroft just south of the Southwest Freeway.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi View Post
The last photo is the Gulfton area. Those buildings are on Hillcroft just south of the Southwest Freeway.
Good eye. That photo must be recent because they are upgrading Hillcroft. Hillcroft looks like a highway in that photo because of the new concrete.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 8:37 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTex View Post
I thought the area between the med center and downtown had already been a hot spot for infill. When I drove through there recently, it was full of new condos, block after block. You can see the new development in the photo that shows the med center and downtown, and the area in between. Maybe we're not talking about the same area.

The Uptown photo is the best I've ever seen of that area from the air.
Im talking about the area in between 45 and highway 59 on Fannin, Main Street, Travis, Milam, and San Jacinto, basically Midtown. Those streets have just tons of vacant lots and run down buildings that could easily be restored. I havent see too much infill, if any in these areas and its pretty terrible looking for the most part if you are a tourist or suburbanite visiting downtown and taking the train.

Basically this whole area, sure theres been some infill but it seems to me that relatively little has gone on aruond this what I would deem highly desirable area.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Im talking about the area in between 45 and highway 59 on Fannin, Main Street, Travis, Milam, and San Jacinto, basically Midtown. Those streets have just tons of vacant lots and run down buildings that could easily be restored. I havent see too much infill, if any in these areas and its pretty terrible looking for the most part if you are a tourist or suburbanite visiting downtown and taking the train.

Basically this whole area, sure theres been some infill but it seems to me that relatively little has gone on aruond this what I would deem highly desirable area.
One problem is that the LRT jacked up the land prices so the areas west and east saw more infill. I would say along Elgin there has been great infill plus infrastructure improvements (wider sidewalks, buried lines, more pedestrian features, ertc.). Hopefully as residential gradually increases (there are still a few projects in that area you highlighted that are under construction) it will continue to densify.

Another problem is the fact that Houston's low land prices and no traditional zoning created many different hotspots around downtown and in the loop. There is Montrose, Upper Kirby, Rice Military, West End, East End, Museum District all competing with Midtown.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 1:47 AM
Closed account

Quote:

I see. Thanks for drawing the outline. I did see a lot of infill with condos on the streets I drove down, but you're right there's still plenty of room for more, which I think will occur with time. I may have been a little east of the area you outlined, between the med center and downtown, but I'm not really sure where I was! I'll have to do another tour.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
Houston's skyline is more than second tier. With the number of buildings that it has that are over 500 feet tall, it has had a lock on third behind New York and Chicago for over 20 years now.

Los Angeles had a boom in the late 80s and early 90s, which gave it the tallest building west of Chicago, but it wasn't enough to give it the third biggest skyline in the country such as Houston had.
If you're discussing sheer numbers, Houston deserves 3rd place. But if you are discussing the innovative nature of the designs, impact on architecture, the way the buildings improve or compliment the neighborhood they are situated in, etc, then it would make for a more interesting thread.

I am not knocking Houston or Miami, or any other city. I just can't be impressed by the sheer numbers of 400 or 500 + feet tall buildings. Look at the ugliness of many of the high rises in Hong Kong or Shanghai.
What IS impressive about Hong Kong and Shanghai, is the vibrant street life.
Houston, like many other American cities infected by sprawl and the "curse of the car", seems to me, city devoid of street life. All these downtown shots, and the park shots, where people are supposed to be out and about, I can' see barely a soul. The crowds, the hawkers, the pulse of street life, That's the mark of a truly great city. The park scenes posted a few posts above mine are an exception, but even that is not a good indicator of street life, because it's a forced, artificial gathering. Houston's skyline is cool, but it's disconnected from what's on the ground. I guess that's why skylines never impress me. Even New York's.

Last edited by Fred the Fop; Oct 3, 2010 at 4:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 2:42 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
If you're discussing sheer numbers, Houston deserves 3rd place. But if you are discussing the innovative nature of the designs, impact on architecture, the way the buildings improve or compliment the neighborhood they are situated in, etc, then it would make for a more interesting thread.

I am not knocking Houston or Miami, or any other city. I just can't be impressed by the sheer numbers of 400 or 500 + feet tall buildings. Look at the ugliness of many of the high rises in Hong Kong or Shanghai.
What IS impressive about Hong Kong and Shanghai, is the vibrant street life.
Houston, like many other American cities infected by sprawl and the "curse of the car", seems to me, city devoid of street life. All these downtown shots, and the park shots, where people are supposed to be out and about, I can' see barely a soul. The crowds, the hawkers, the pulse of street life, That's the mark of a truly great city. The park scenes posted a few posts above mine are an exception, but even that is not a good indicator of street life, because it's a forced, artificial gathering. Houston's skyline is cool, but it's disconnected from what's on the ground. I guess that's why skylines never impress me. Even New York's.
This is getting so old....

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
... I guess that's why skylines never impress me. Even New York's...
I think you are in the wrong type of forum. This is SKYSCRAPERpage.com

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latennisguy View Post
I think you are in the wrong type of forum. This is SKYSCRAPERpage.com
I'm impressed by individual Skyscrapers. Not skylines.
This is after all, the SKYSCRAPERpage.com forum.

Not the SKYLINEpage.com forum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos