HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 8:05 PM

SACRAMENTO | Kings Arena development

Demolition of the Downtown Plaza mall is planned in June to make way for the new $448 million 77,000 seat Sacramento Kings arena. The design of the structure is a nod to Sacramento's sunny and warm (and hot!) climate.

The exterior is composed of mesh metal panels, which allows the building to breathe naturally, as well as letting in natural sunlight. Five story high glass panels will act as sliding doors during concerts and Kings games. The physical structure will rise 90' above ground and 30' below, which is currently an underground parking garage for the current mall.

The plan also includes large outdoor plazas, similar to size as nearby Cesar Chavez park. City leaders envision tomatoes growing in hydroponic gardens (One of Sacramento's nicknames is Sacratomato) and native grasses.

But the project doesn't come without controversy. Some residents of Sacramento decry the city's $258 million subsidy of the facility and say the money could be better spent elsewhere, such as the crumbling public school system. They are gathering signatures to put the issue to voters during a June 2014 special election.

Planned grand opening: October 2016

New high density mixed use development downtown:

Source: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/28/610...eil-final.html

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Demolition of the Downtown Plaza mall is planned in June to make way for the new $448 million 77,000 seat Sacramento Kings arena. The design of the structure is a nod to Sacramento's sunny and warm (and hot!) climate.
77,000 or 17,000?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:33 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post

They are gathering signatures to put the issue to voters during a June 2014 special election.

Planned grand opening: October 2016
[/URL]
The anti-arena folks lost the battle (and war).

The nine different petitions were found faulty and misleading and confused many Sacramento petition signers. Many of the Sacramento petition signers demanded that their names be removed from the petition after they discovered that Seattle native Chris Hansen was funding the arena vote.

1/4 to 1/3 of the petitions that were gathered were secretly funded by Seattle native Chris Hansen who is a California-Bay Area Billionaire who tried to steal the 29 year old team from Sacramento and move it Seattle.

Instead, another Bay Area Billionaire, Vivek Ranadivé, and a team of Sacramento and other California investors purchased the team so they could keep the team in Sacramento. Over 70-80% of the other NBA owners from other cities agreed to keep the team in Sacramento and reject Seattle's "theft".

Last edited by BrianSac; Mar 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 6:18 AM
Here we stAy

Should mention too that the last two renderings are older designs too. And the number we've been hearing is 17,500 or so for seating.

Last bit of pre-demolition work to be done is for the final parcel to in the hands of the city. Currently going through the eminent domain process.

All in all, this is the biggest thing to happen in downtown Sacramento since ever really. It will be a huge catalyst to enliven a section of downtown that has seen big disinvestment for many years, with that energy spilling out to adjacent parcels and many neighboring blocks.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 7:23 AM

Things I Don't Like

- Demolition of Downtown Plaza especially since all of the iconic parts will be torn down while the dull parts like Macy's are staying

- The small capacity. Even with the outdoor plaza that's a mighty small capacity

- The fact that a reuse of Arco Arena is not coupled with the plan. Sure hope Natomas keeps it standing

What I do like

- The design. It's unique, amazing, and fits the Kings name

- The roof deck. I was letdown when the park on top of Barclays Center was cancelled. Glad to see Sac moving ahead with this idea

- The fact that it's downtown. This will stimulate Sac in a smart growth way

Overall, I give the plan a B. Congratulations and good luck Sacramento.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 8:00 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post

- The small capacity. Even with the outdoor plaza that's a mighty small capacity
The approximately 17,500-seat arena will have a flexible design so that a smaller number of seats can be used for more intimate events....that do not require all 17,500 seats. “Basketball games will take place here, say, 50 times a year, but this building will be here 365 days a year,” says Rob Rothblatt, AIA, LEED-AP, a design principal of AECOM, a global design and engineering firm headquartered in Los Angeles. “The clients want to open the arena up to the public for all sorts of uses.”

Last edited by BrianSac; Mar 7, 2014 at 8:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 8:19 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
Things I Don't Like

- Demolition of Downtown Plaza especially since all of the iconic parts will be torn down while the dull parts like Macy's are staying

Which "iconic" parts?

The original Macy's building (1960's) and the roofed courtyard pavillion (1990's) along with the 1990's movie theatre/food court/retail/restaurants building will stay. River City Brewers Bar and Restaurant will stay. The Macy's is staying because it's a money maker. I'm pretty sure The 24hour fitness building will stay as well.

The other 1990's plaza buildings will be demolished, along with the 1970's retail/office structures on the J street and L street sides.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 12:55 AM
Here we stAy

I figure this thread could use a little update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
http://www.nba.com/kings/release-052014

Sacramento, CA – Before a packed council chambers, Mayor Kevin Johnson and the City Council approved plans to build and finance a new Entertainment and Sports Center (ESC) at the Downtown Plaza Mall.

“Tonight’s vote is a historic moment for Sacramento and the culmination of years of hard work from so many in our city and our region,” said Mayor Kevin Johnson, “Sacramento has had a vision for its future and I am so proud of our community for their fight and resolve to ensure that vision became a reality. I can't wait till groundbreaking in the fall.”

Tonight’s vote is the culmination of a 15-year community effort to build and finance a new Entertainment and Sports Center. The Sacramento City Council Chambers was filled to capacity with 200 people inside. More gathered outside of City Hall to watch the Council Meeting on a giant LED Screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
New ESC website

http://sacramentoesc.com

Looks like the entrance has been redesigned with LED screens. Not sure if they will be static images or not.

Peek at some of the ancillary development around it. I'm hoping for something a little more ambitious than 5-6 stories. Although, I would accept a 5 story Macy's there if it meant demolishing the current Macy's for redevelopment.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 1:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Unique and futuristic. I like it. Its not your typical arena. Variety is always good.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 8:58 PM

Demolition began on August 1st.

It’s full throttle for downtown arena project; expect traffic delays
By Tony Bizjak
tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published: Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2014 - 5:49 pm

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/06/661...#storylink=cpy

After months of quiet prep work, the Sacramento Kings downtown arena construction project goes public this week.

Crews will be restriping J, L and Fifth streets, pushing traffic away from the site to give the project elbow room. Workers will erect 9-foot noise-dampening walls at key spots in the streets around the project in the next few days, allowing space for the first of up to 16,500 dump truck trips hauling demolition debris and dirt over the next few months. Tractors were being delivered to the site. Some demolition begins Friday.

Both J and L streets will maintain three lanes throughout the two-plus-year project. Crews, however, plan to take one northbound lane of Fifth Street where it dips under the mall to allow for truck access to the site. Several bus stops on L Street will be relocated to Capitol Mall in the next few days, and some portions of the J and L street sidewalks will be closed for the duration.

That makes sure we have space outside the demolition zone for safety for the public,” said Matt Hiser, project supervisor with Turner Construction. “This is tight for Sacramento.”

City officials said they are pleased all lanes on J and L will remain open. There also will be no detours during the project.

“It’s amazing,” city spokesman Linda Tucker said. “We have more traffic impacts than this when we do road resurfacing,”

Drivers will, however, find themselves sharing the streets as early as next week with trucks taking debris to recycling sites around the county. Those trucks will be running all hours of the day and night, Monday through Saturday, Hiser said.

The demolition expected to begin Friday will not initially be visible to the public. Crews will use Bobcat tractors inside buildings to remove interior walls and ceilings. An exterior portion of 515 L Street will be knocked down on Tuesday. The main demolition work is two weeks away, Hiser said, and will take place between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m., Monday through Saturday.

“Most equipment is long-reach excavator with an attachment, a bucket and thumb, like a big hand,” Hiser said. “They can actually grab material and control how they pull it down.”

Pre-demolition work has been underway 24 hours a day in recent weeks as crews hurry to meet a tight schedule for construction of the $477 million sports and entertainment facility, and its front plaza, in time for the opening of the Kings’ 2016 basketball season.

The project is jointly financed by the city of Sacramento and the Sacramento Kings. The city will own the arena, and the Kings will operate it.

The demolition work – involving the takedown of many of the buildings between Fifth, Seventh, J and L streets, notably the shuttered former men’s Macy’s store – is perhaps the largest in downtown since the height of the redevelopment era in the 1960s. Much of the demolition involves the eastern portion of the Downtown Plaza shopping mall that was built in 1993 on that 1960s demolition site.

The city has granted several variances for the project, including later work hours, Saturdays, and some all-night work.

The west portion of Downtown Plaza, including the Macy’s store, will remain open for business during construction.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/06/661...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 3:40 AM
Here we stAy

Update of site demolition from forumer innov8, 8.29.2014

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 9:38 PM

Snapped some pics as I went by on my bike today of the huge demolition in process- I've never seen anything quite like this in terms of the immenseness! Awesome to see in person.

The first two pics are of the surrounding area from L and 7th streets.
The area is already starting to improve. There are plans for the Hotel Marshall on the corner (now an SRO former homeless type residential hotel) to transform into an upscale boutique hotel, and next door in the basement is a really cool beer cellar that I went to during a birthday party a few weeks ago (can't remember the name of it). If anybody is looking to invest in real estate, now's the time!

As somebody stated before, Macy's and 24hr fitness are staying (My cousin works at the Macy's and says its one of the top performers in the country. I go to 24 hr. fitness religiously, and the CEO is on the board of directors for the Kings, so that building isn't going anywhere- good thing because they recently remodeled it and its one of the nicest and cleanest facilities I've been to)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 11:53 PM
Here we stAy

It is very impressive at almost 4 square blocks. I got to watch the start of demolition from my old office; pretty much the same view in the first link below.

http://sacramentoesc.com/live/

http://www2.downeybrand.com/arena/arena.html

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 5:26 PM
Here we stAy

A private groundbreaking ceremony will be held Wednesday at 11:30. It will be webcast at the live link in the post above.

Also, demolition work is in the final stages and excavation has already begun.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 8:21 PM

Any news on when naming rights to the arena might be announced?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 6:46 PM
Here we stAy

Nothing yet. It's been mentioned thought that Legendary Sports, who will run their concessions program, also advised the team regarding naming rights for the building, and other advertising opportunities.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 6:02 AM
Here we stAy

Update: The old buildings on site are completely gone, with a massive excavation taking place ahead of the first foundation work. Also, the first details of the surrounding 'ancillary' development were recently released.

Sacramento Kings plan spring groundbreaking for hotel, apartments, shops near arena
BY RYAN LILLIS
11/07/2014

The focus of the development project is the 16-story tower. The first four floors of the building will be made up of a grand lobby, retail space, offices and hotel amenities. There will be 250 hotel rooms on the fifth through 11th floors, with 69 residences filling the top five floors. The tower is expected to take up nearly the entire block of J Street between Fifth and Sixth streets and be visible from Interstate 5, according to a project application with the city.

Full article: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/new...le3651940.html

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 8:08 AM

So they are putting a roof over the food court? I like the new facade around the Macy's although I think it still sticks out like a sore thumb on the other side.

Nonetheless, this is an impressive development. I REALLY hate that the arena rooftop open air spaces were cancelled. That would have worked perfectly with this.

Any chance this development could help inspire this to return from the dead?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=101021

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 6:03 AM
Here we stAy

The Business Journal had an article recently about the owner and development partner of the site (CalPERS and CIM Group, respectively) still contemplating what will become of the site. Not sure what they're waiting for though as Sacramento real estate is notoriously fickle and the cycles last for far shorter than in other areas (bay area). They are really behind now and will need to get on their horse if they don't want to keep sitting on a vacant block.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...html?full=true

As for Macy's and the remaining mall; I kinda like the horseshoe-covered plaza now, so i'll be interested to see what JMA does there and a little sad to see that space go. I do like the new entrance to Macy's, and what looks like a moving electronic screen (maybe?) facing the arena. I do wish and hope though that at least another floor would be added to the store and some windows punched through. It really is a beast from any other street it meets.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 6:32 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Court dismisses environmental challenge to new Sacramento Kings arena

An appellate court Wednesday dismissed a citizens’ lawsuit challenging the new Sacramento Kings arena on environmental grounds, removing one of the last remaining legal obstacles to the $477 million project.

The 3rd District Court of Appeal rejected the lawsuit filed by a group of citizens led by a retired Caltrans director, Adriana Saltonstall. The lawsuit said the new arena, which broke ground at Downtown Plaza last October, would bring enormous traffic and air-pollution problems and even lead to post-game riots by drunken fans.

The appellate court affirmed an earlier decision, by Superior Court Judge Timothy Frawley, to dismiss the suit, which was filed under the California Environmental Quality Act, or CEQA.

“It’s certainly helpful to have this out of the way,” said Assistant City Manager John Dangberg. “CEQA challenges...are very common in California and can result in substantial delays to projects and substantial costs to projects.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cit...e10622606.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development