HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 4:43 PM

No, this is not the remainder of the wiki-wak, it is further along. Sure, the campground owners make a ton of money, but does the town benefit? I'm not sure that a campground generates the same kind of tax revenue as a hotel or even cottages.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 4:55 PM

Here is a link to the l'Acadie Nouvelle article
http://="http://www.acadienouvelle.c...ents/?pgnc=1"]

And here is the site plan from that article.

Another concern I have is that the walking trail to the beach runs right through that property, I routinely run that route and I'm wondering if I'm going to be running through the campground now.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 5:13 PM

They say they will be moving the trail around the development. Not sure what that means exactly because they can't put the trail on Main Street, and they can't put it on the beach.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
They say they will be moving the trail around the development. Not sure what that means exactly because they can't put the trail on Main Street, and they can't put it on the beach.
Maybe along the creek (North in the picture).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 6:14 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

That is one hell of a campground...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 7:04 PM

Jeez, look at the size of this thing...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of this development, it is a huge piece of land being consumed for seasonal use. I think Shediac needs to think bigger and look at attracting people year round. There is so much potential for growth in Shediac but it needs to be managed. Campgrounds inside town limits is not a good revenue generator year round.
I appreciate and sympathize with what you are saying benvui, but you have to remember that the principle raison d'être for Shediac (aside from being a regional service centre for the Beaubassin region) is as a summer tourist town. In fact, it is one of only two resort communities in the entire province (St. Andrews being the other one).

The location for this proposed campground immediately adjacent to Parlee Beach is ideal. It would almost certainly be successful and would be a big business generator for all the restaurants, fast food joints and souvenir shops on the strip heading out of the east end of town.

Shediac should certainly look at promoting other more permanent types of commercial development, but there are lots of places for this growth to occur, especially if the town expands it's municipal boundaries (like I expect it will).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 12:30 PM

My family camps a lot every summer. It's massive parks like this that caused us to buy our own piece of land so that we could ACTUALLY CAMP. These parks are popular, but there are some of us that prefer not camping with 1000 of our "closest friends". It's more private at home.

I see one pool in that rendering. Where are the fields where kids can throw a ball around, or play with their friends? True, the (again, crowded) beach is close by, but I can't see anywhere that a person could truly relax in peace.

It'll be sure to attract the 40' 5th wheel owners with their big screen TV's outside watching NASCAR next to their fake propane campfires. Camping at its best.

Well, this won't affect our camping habits. We still go to parks a couple of times a year, but we haven't been to the Shediac area to do so in years.

</rant>

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:26 PM

Wow, the Pizza Delight is on fire again. It's fully engulfed in flames right now.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:49 PM

Yup, it's toast.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 5:24 PM

Re the campground, I never quite "got" the idea of buying a quarter-million-dollar vehicle to "camp" in. But there is certainly a market for it. The newest campground in Shediac, the one by the RCMP station, was full before it ever opened its doors, and there's been a waiting list since.
Me, I camp in the woods. I mean IN THE WOODS, not in a campground. But that's just me. I am confident there will be a huge demand for pads in this new campground. I have zero doubt about that.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 7:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
I see one pool in that rendering. Where are the fields where kids can throw a ball around, or play with their friends? True, the (again, crowded) beach is close by, but I can't see anywhere that a person could truly relax in peace.
Good point about the lack of open fields and play areas on that site plan. I didn't pick up on that at all!

Maybe this campground would be more palatable if they cut back on the number of proposed campsites and made some green space available for the kids to run around in. Also, a treed buffer between the campground and the neighbouring houses would also help to reduce the NIMBY effect.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good point about the lack of open fields and play areas on that site plan. I didn't pick up on that at all!

Maybe this campground would be more palatable if they cut back on the number of proposed campsites and made some green space available for the kids to run around in. Also, a treed buffer between the campground and the neighbouring houses would also help to reduce the NIMBY effect.
Campsites like this are purely money farms. Cram in as many mobile mansions as possible and call it "camping". The sad thing is that some people think this is what camping truly is. I suppose if you live in a larger city, it could be considered roughing it, but not in our area.

Luckily there are still smaller campgrounds around for the rest of us. My wife and I are guilty of having a large (29') trailer that we used to haul around. Now it gets parked on our land and is used as a cottage. This past summer, we bought a lightweight 1975 Cygnet (16') that costs us nothing to tow and it can be easily pushed into place by 1-2 people, depending on the lot.
All I need is a small clear area to pull the trailer into and set up a BBQ and table. Power and water are nice, but not necessary. Then just sit back, have a beer, send the kids off to play, and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 12:44 AM

I don't want to come off as a NIMBY, I just don't think Shediac should be agreeing to developments that only employ people for 4 months out of the year and provide little to no economic benefit to the town for the bulk of the year. I would much rather they build some sort of commercial or retail on that land that a large trailer park. I was thinking that a nice walking mall like Settlers Green Outlet Village in North Conway would be nice there.

http://www.settlersgreen.com/

Another issue is going to be with the amount of traffic that that many campsites is going to add to the town during the summer months.

It should also be noted that there is a new campground opening in Cape Bimet just down the road.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 2:53 PM

Interesting twist going on in Shediac. This was published on CBC web site today. Another scandal in the works?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ners-1.2524488
Quote:

Shediac MLA's campground proposal upsets campground owners. Victor Boudreau wants to build 750 sites by Parlee Beach, just 18 months after town said it had too many.

Posted: Feb 06, 2014 7:05 AM AT Last Updated: Feb 06, 2014 7:47 AM AT

Campground owners in Shediac are questioning why the town is even considering a proposal by local MLA Victor Boudreau to build a 750-site campground next to Parlee Beach.

Just 18 months ago, the town was trying to get rid of campgrounds, said Dave Maltais, owner of Camping Oceanic.

"Town council had passed a motion basically saying they didn't want any additional campgrounds, not even the existing campgrounds to add more sites," said Maltais.

"Their thinking at that time was that there was sufficient sites in the area, that they didn't want more sites added," he said.

Boudreau, the LIberal MLA for Shediac-Cap-Pelé, and Michel Boudreau want to turn the land between the provincial park and the road to Pointe de Chene into a campground for big motor homes.

With 750 sites, it would be the largest campground in the region.

Marie-Paul Martin, owner of Camping Beauséjour, wants the community to do an economic impact study before approving any new campground.

"Put the horse in front of the buggy by doing an impact study of having another campground," she said.

Shediac already has more than 1,000 sites.

Neither Boudreau nor town officials could be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 4:06 PM

Ummm, let's see this "motion" by town council forbidding any more campgrounds. I have strong family ties to Shediac and try to stay abreast of council's goings-on, and this is news to me. I could have missed it, but I would be surprised if so.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 4:22 PM

The Second cup and Yeh frozen yogurt are supposed to open next Monday according to their facebook page.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 3:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That controversial campground next to Parlee Beach has gotten provisional approval by the regional planning commission.

Final approval will have to come from the town of Shediac. It will be interesting to see what town council will do. I suspect that they will approve it, but with conditions……..

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 10:26 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
The Second cup and Yeh frozen yogurt are supposed to open next Monday according to their facebook page.
Had the crepe at Yeh with strawberries and nutella. Enjoyed it thoroughly with a 2nd Cup coffee. The mix of yogurt for kids with coffee for adults works much better than the Stone Cold/Tims attempt in Moncton.

The place was constantly busy without feeling crowded. It should do well.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 10:50 PM

I honestly believe Shediac can now sustain things on their own without tourists.. though I would love them do a redevelopment of the Downtown, it really has the ability to be the top destinations in the Maritimes in the summer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces