HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 1:10 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The exterior signage for Papa John's Pizza in Plaza 1909 has gone up.

The interior of the Pita Pit in Plaza 1909 is largely complete. I would not be surprised if they open in the not too distant future.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 2:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Myles, take note (I know you have been looking forward to this announcement):

Pita Pit opens today in Plaza 1909!

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 2:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is some work starting in the empty storefront next to McBun's Bakery in the Valhalla strip mall on Mountain Rd.

I asked at McBun's this morning about what was going on and they informed me that a greengrocer was moving in there....

So, this popular (and well designed) strip mall will soon be home to a bakery, specialty meat shop, liquor store and a greengrocer. Now that's what I call an example of synergism!

This section of Mountain Road is getting very interesting.....

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 3:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another tenant for Plaza 1909.

There is a building permit plastered to one of the windows for a "massage therapy clinic".

As previously mentioned, Pita Pit is already open and Papa John's is getting close.......

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 3:59 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Myles, take note (I know you have been looking forward to this announcement):

Pita Pit opens today in Plaza 1909!
How did I not notice this post before?

Well I know what I'm doing this afternoon.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 8:36 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Update: Delicious.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
There is some work starting in the empty storefront next to McBun's Bakery in the Valhalla strip mall on Mountain Rd.

I asked at McBun's this morning about what was going on and they informed me that a greengrocer was moving in there....

So, this popular (and well designed) strip mall will soon be home to a bakery, specialty meat shop, liquor store and a greengrocer. Now that's what I call an example of synergism!

This section of Mountain Road is getting very interesting.....
I spotted an ad on the kijiji moncton job forum for a Produce Clerk and Produce Manager for OMG Market at 1855 Mountain Road. Very excited about this produce/grocer coming to our neck of the woods. I feel like we're living in official suburbia now. Here's the link in case anyone is interested:

http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-sale...AdIdZ453465747

http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-sale...AdIdZ453464272

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 1:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hi porchmouse, long time no see.....

I wonder what OMG stands for?

I agree with you, the northwest section of Mountain Rd is starting to get very interesting. Some people would decry this as yet more needless urban sprawl, but as a resident of the area, this means to me that I actually am having to travel less by car in order to look after my basic necessities. In other words, we really are beginning to transform into a neighbourhood rather than just a series of subdivisions. This is a good thing......

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 2:08 AM

The only thing I would change is that it's all strip malls with parking, have tonnes of parking in front, I would like to see them have the stores closer to the street with some parking infront and have ways to get to the front of the store from the back, so only a few spaces in front and the rest in back. Also add a second floor on some of them or a third floor for other uses, its becoming way to flat out there, I want to see things like in ontario and other canadian cities with apartments and condos, instead of just housing and in these suburban community have little "downtown's" for fthe community to go, with a few bars, cafes and shops very similar to the ones going out there right now, but not in a strip mall atmosphere.

Last edited by Monctoncore; Feb 5, 2013 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:12 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
The only thing I would change is that it's all strip malls with parking, have tonnes of parking in front, I would like to see them have the stores closer to the street with some parking infront and have ways to get to the front of the store from the back, so only a few spaces in front and the rest in back. Also add a second floor on some of them or a third floor for other uses, its becoming way to flat out there, I want to see things like in ontario and other canadian cities with apartments and condos, instead of just housing and in these suburban community have little "downtown's" for fthe community to go, with a few bars, cafes and shops very similar to the ones going out there right now, but not in a strip mall atmosphere.
If there's one thing we're very good at in New Brunswick, it's in developing the most boring, ugly, car-oriented crap imaginable. It's really sad, because a lot of the biggest-impact improvements to be made to these developments (site layout, street orientation, basic tenets of architectural design) really aren't that onerous or expensive to do. Developers around here just aren't trained to think about these things.

I hope this changes soon. It's my dream to one day see New Urbanist-style, walking and transit oriented, 'complete communities' as the norm for greenfield development in NB.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't disagree with your sentiments. It would be nice if there were more of a street presence to these developments. Perhaps this will change over time. I rather view what's happening out here right now as "first generation densification", sort of a transitional phase of development.

What I was really referring to in my post, and I know it didn't get expressed as clearly as I wished, is that I appreciate the nature and variety of businesses moving into the area. Valhalla Place alone will house a specialty meat store, a greengrocer, a bakery and a liquor store. These are all really important services for the neighbourhood and will result in less car travel because these services will now be in close proximity to a large number of residents. Suburban development isn't all bad. Mile after mile of burger joints is tedious, but what is happening in this particular area of Mountain Road is much more than that, and will contribute to a sense of community in the area.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:32 AM

Oh I completely agree, with you Moncton Rad, I look forward to the opening of these new stores and I may live in Riverview, but will be willing to shop at these markets to support the local farmers and bakers. I was just dreaming, I should have wrote that in the Moncton Ideas page.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 1:47 PM

Quote:

I don't disagree with your sentiments. It would be nice if there were more of a street presence to these developments. Perhaps this will change over time. I rather view what's happening out here right now as "first generation densification", sort of a transitional phase of development.

What I was really referring to in my post, and I know it didn't get expressed as clearly as I wished, is that I appreciate the nature and variety of businesses moving into the area. Valhalla Place alone will house a specialty meat store, a greengrocer, a bakery and a liquor store. These are all really important services for the neighbourhood and will result in less car travel because these services will now be in close proximity to a large number of residents. Suburban development isn't all bad. Mile after mile of burger joints is tedious, but what is happening in this particular area of Mountain Road is much more than that, and will contribute to a sense of community in the area.
Very much agreed. I too live in this end of town and have complained to my wife about the drive to get the necessities. It will be very nice to have all of the basics close. Sure I can go to a full grocery store if needed, but for the everyday things, it is nice to have something close.

I also like the idea of supporting smaller business - McBuns, Old Fashioned Meat Market and in time the new produce store.

The car traffic and parking in these areas does leave something to be desired though.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:

I agree with you, the northwest section of Mountain Rd is starting to get very interesting. Some people would decry this as yet more needless urban sprawl, but as a resident of the area, this means to me that I actually am having to travel less by car in order to look after my basic necessities. In other words, we really are beginning to transform into a neighbourhood rather than just a series of subdivisions. This is a good thing......
A friend of mine suggested OMG means "zero milligrams". Very clever if that's true. Time will tell. Either way I cannot wait. If we have a Pete's Frootique type place in our neck of the woods I will just about lose my mind. Bye Bye crazy afternoons at Superstore and Sobeys.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:29 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:

Certainly true that it takes a good deal of time for a neighbourhood to mature. My rant was less an indictment of Moncton Northwest and more a critique of NB development practices in general. Whether urban or suburban, having a locally-owned independent grocer and other businesses in close proximity is good for any neighbourhood.

I do still wish we were starting to build more thoughtfully today, rather than relying on future generations to do it. While some future adaptations, such as mixed-use intensification on the surface parking lots of commercial nodes, are relatively straightforward in any event, we make many other fixes more onerous by blindly continuing to develop with large lots, distended cul-de-sacs and very segregated land uses. Something's gotta give!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 3:21 AM

Quote:

Found their Facebook page the other day. Looks like they plan to open in March.

SirReal

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 4:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Welcome to the forums!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 1:33 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the forums!
Thank you, I'm a long time stalker, just never found the need to post. Was excited to finally be able to contribute.

SirReal

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 4:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The exterior signage for OMG Market has gone up in Valhalla Place. Still lots of work to do on the interior though......

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 12:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is the link for the February meeting for the City of Moncton Planning Advisory Committee.

http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/PAC+February+Agenda.pdf

It would appear that major renovations are in the offing for the Tim Hortons on the corner of Mountain Rd and Lonsdale. There is a request for a variance to allow for a temporary drive thru during the construction period.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces