HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 2:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster chucker View Post
Hey All

Recently signed up Having been reading the forums for a couple of years. Had one comment and one Question

Question - What is the new building going up beside Good Life in Mapleton

Comment - The restaurant going into the Holiday Inn Express is Jack Astors . This was confirmed several months ago , and I have not heard that this has changed

Cheers

Welcome to the forums!

1) - The new building in the Mapleton Centre will be Mastermind Toys, an up and coming Canadian toy store chain.

2) - Glad to hear about Jack Astor's. There were rumours of both Jack Astor's and Milestones in this development (the render shows one building with two adjacent restaurants).

Is your source reliable???

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 7:52 PM

k. Was curious about mAppleton. Yes the source is very reliable. Some one who is putting a small quickserve in there let me know That it was confirmed. Although that was a few months back. I m sure he would have told me had that changed

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 8:01 PM

I noticed after work today that more equipment has been added at the site on Mapleton and an Acadian Construction sign had gone up!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 12:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I believe the new Mountain Road location of Rossano's is now open (at least judging from the cars in the parking lot. All the lights are on inside too.

picture is a bit crooked - sorry).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
I noticed after work today that more equipment has been added at the site on Mapleton and an Acadian Construction sign had gone up!
I drive by this everyday and the pace of work is baffling. They excavate some then stop, excavate some more then stop. I figured once they had a machine on-site that it was gonna be fast and furious.

I am sure there is a reason for this roller coaster of activity.

Now too that they are there and clearing land, I am wondering how the hotel and 2 restaurants will all fit in there and have adequate parking. Maybe that is a reason, and that there already are 2 nearby, that a gas station is no longer part of the plan.

Talked to someone with City regarding progress with Province on traffic here at off-ramp and he (he is not in engineering but is a manager so he is in on meetings) said that the province was eluding that a round-about may be in the future.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleton_Roadie View Post
the province was alluding that a round-about may be in the future.

(I hate roundabouts at highway exits. Urban roundabouts are fine.)

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleton_Roadie View Post
I drive by this everyday and the pace of work is baffling. They excavate some then stop, excavate some more then stop. I figured once they had a machine on-site that it was gonna be fast and furious.

I am sure there is a reason for this roller coaster of activity.

Now too that they are there and clearing land, I am wondering how the hotel and 2 restaurants will all fit in there and have adequate parking. Maybe that is a reason, and that there already are 2 nearby, that a gas station is no longer part of the plan.

Talked to someone with City regarding progress with Province on traffic here at off-ramp and he (he is not in engineering but is a manager so he is in on meetings) said that the province was eluding that a round-about may be in the future.
Welcome to Moncton the city built on a swamp. I think this is the reason for the slow dig it's to avoid the water. I seen a pumper truck there today, and think they where on site for that exact reason. Maybe not but it's strange otherwise.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Welcome to Moncton the city built on a swamp. I think this is the reason for the slow dig it's to avoid the water. I seen a pumper truck there today, and think they where on site for that exact reason. Maybe not but it's strange otherwise.
The area/subdivision in behind the development is supplied with a big artesian well, so not surprising then. I know the developer had to meet stringent requirements that they wouldn't affect the water, dumb me should have out 2 and 2 together, lol!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I suggested a roundabout in the corner of Northwood/Queensway & Mapleton and ramps for the exits only going and coming from the north. Similar to next to Bass Pro on Paul street.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:

I don't mind the Larry Uteck roundabout exits in Halifax. What don't you like about those?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
I don't mind the Larry Uteck roundabout exits in Halifax. What don't you like about those?
I agree. They work fine in Halifax and in many new highway exits in Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
I agree. They work fine in Halifax and in many new highway exits in Nova Scotia.
They may work fine in NS but we are in NB where there are still people Going the wrong way on the Killam Dr roundabout, and there are still to many people who can't seem to use the Wheeler Roundabout properly. We where cut off by 5 vehicles at the Wheeler one, and almost ended up in a head on collision at the Killam one heading to collishaw. There are also people who continuously do illegal U turns there too. I'm sure if the police would set up either a car, or cameras there they would give out so many tickets.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
They may work fine in NS but we are in NB where there are still people Going the wrong way on the Killam Dr roundabout, and there are still to many people who can't seem to use the Wheeler Roundabout properly. We where cut off by 5 vehicles at the Wheeler one, and almost ended up in a head on collision at the Killam one heading to collishaw. There are also people who continuously do illegal U turns there too. I'm sure if the police would set up either a car, or cameras there they would give out so many tickets.
You seriously shouldn't have your licience if you go the wrong way in a roundabout. I've never ever had or seen a close call in a roundabout and on PEI there is many more than there is here. They are so simple to use and they eliminate TBone type crashes. The ones on Wheeler are traffic circles too, they are different.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
It's interesting that you brought up Larry Uteck as an example, because when I think of a situation where rotary construction has run amok - it's Larry Uteck that comes to mind.

Here you have three double lane roundabouts literally in a row, two of which are at fairly busy highway on/off ramps. These can be confusing to people not used to local traffic patterns and to which may be the appropriate exit to take to get to your destination.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate roundabouts, and in particular, I really like the five point roundabout on Collishaw - I think this particular example works very well and has solved all the traffic issues at that intersection.

I just think that roundabouts at highway off ramps add another layer of complexity to the traffic situation and aren't necessarily helpful. Maybe I'm wrong though.......

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 1:16 PM

The Wheeler traffic circle is problematic and confusing for people not used to it. I think this is due to the fact that each entry/exit ramp has different "rules". On some you must merge right to LEAVE the circle and on others you need to merge left to REMAIN on the circle (or get forced off). On some entrances, incoming traffic has its own lane, and on some it doesn't and must merge. This causes a lot of last-second brake-jamming and lane changes.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Here you have three double lane roundabouts literally in a row, two of which are at fairly busy highway on/off ramps. These can be confusing to people not used to local traffic patterns and to which may be the appropriate exit to take to get to your destination.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate roundabouts, and in particular, I really like the five point roundabout on Collishaw - I think this particular example works very well and has solved all the traffic issues at that intersection.

I just think that roundabouts at highway off ramps add another layer of complexity to the traffic situation and aren't necessarily helpful. Maybe I'm wrong though.......
If roundabouts are built properly and consistently then local traffic patterns are irrelevant.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
The Wheeler traffic circle is problematic and confusing for people not used to it. I think this is due to the fact that each entry/exit ramp has different "rules". On some you must merge right to LEAVE the circle and on others you need to merge left to REMAIN on the circle (or get forced off). On some entrances, incoming traffic has its own lane, and on some it doesn't and must merge. This causes a lot of last-second brake-jamming and lane changes.
It doesn't help either that lines are not painted yet to show that at certain areas you are not suppose to change lanes.... not that anyone bothers to notice them or knows what a solid line versus a dotted line means.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 4:57 PM

Wind unveils price, location of new Moncton school
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...urce=story-top
Quote:
Moncton's new north-end middle school will cost $26.6 million and be built in the west end of Maplehurst Drive, off Twin Oaks Drive, a government-branded sign states.

A long-awaited announcement of the new school has yet to have been made but a new sign bearing the Government of New Brunswick logo, has been posted at the end of Teaberry Avenue, off Maplehurst Avenue

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Wind unveils price, location of new Moncton school
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...urce=story-top
Thanks.

That location would be about equidistant from both Northrup Frye and Evergreen Park schools. Since this new middle school will be fed by both of these (soon to be) K-5 schools, this would appear to be a very good strategic location.........

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 10:31 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
The Wheeler traffic circle is problematic and confusing for people not used to it.
Most traffic circles are problematic for those not used to them because locals decide to create their own rules. Fredericton's Smythe is a prime example of this.

I don't mind the Larry Uteck off-ramp roundabouts, personally.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces