HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 9:41 PM
Earthling

I like the way it's common in Red Deer to design structures in such a way, that in the future, additional floors can be added as the need arises...I don't know if that's the case here, when they say "future expansion", but I've noticed it before with other buildings.

http://skywayprofessional.com/wp-con...vation_day.jpg

Quote:
CONSTRUCTION BEGINS SPRING OF 2009
COMPLETION 2011

An eight-storey state-of-the-art building in the heart of Red Deer’s medical community. Located immediately north of the Regional Hospital, Skyway Professional Centre spans over 112,000 square feet of glass and brick masonry and will be engineered to accommodate future expansion...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 11:55 PM
Earthling

Another 2009 municipal census update: Red Deer...90,000

Looks like for all intents and purposes, Red Deer is up to 90,000, as of 2009. It seems inevitable that it become the largest of the the "tier II" cities--being more or less equidistant from Calgary and Edmonton. The path of progress can't be denied, as Red Deer develops it's own suburbs and the two tier I cities continue to have expanding suburbs(on the verge of being considered tier II cities themselves) in the direction of Red Deer.

http://www.altapop.ca/

Quote:
July 2, 2009
For the ninth consecutive year, the City of Red Deer has grown by over 2,000 people. Red Deer’s 2009 municipal census shows its has grown by 2,075 to a population of 89,891 after recording 87,816 in 2008. This equals a growth rate of 2.4%.

The census shows that the City’s growth appears to be stable despite the slowdown in the global economy. Its growth rate between 2007 and 2008 was only slightly higher at 2.5%. Red Deer’s population increased by 2,111 between 2007 (85,705) and 2008 (87,816).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 11:57 PM

Wow. Hopefully 100,000 by 2011, hey?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:26 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
RD should hit 100 000 in 2016. That's my prediction.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 6:09 PM
Cowtown Enthusiast YeeHaw

Talking Go RD!

Wow! Thats awesome for Red Deer! I haven't been up there in a long while, I'll have to check it out and see what has changed.

I'm in Calgary for the summer but go to the University of Lethbridge and I'm wondering if you guys know:

What the 2009 population of Lethbridge is?
Isn't it the next biggest Tier II city after Red Deer?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 6:33 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow-garian View Post
Wow! Thats awesome for Red Deer! I haven't been up there in a long while, I'll have to check it out and see what has changed.

I'm in Calgary for the summer but go to the University of Lethbridge and I'm wondering if you guys know:

What the 2009 population of Lethbridge is?
Isn't it the next biggest Tier II city after Red Deer?
It was posted in the previous page of this thread.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 6:49 PM

Well thats a newbie mistake.

Thanks Xelebes

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 4:30 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftopolis View Post
I like the way it's common in Red Deer to design structures in such a way, that in the future, additional floors can be added as the need arises...I don't know if that's the case here, when they say "future expansion", but I've noticed it before with other buildings.

http://skywayprofessional.com/wp-con...vation_day.jpg

This building will not be vertically phased. It's being built as a shell & will be fitted up as required. That's what they mean about future expansion.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 9:42 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Not really building related, but nonetheless....

What I find interesting is that Lacombe will be applying for status as a city.

October 19, 2009
Province to twin Highway 2A through Lacombe

Lacombe... The Government of Alberta and the Town of Lacombe signed an agreement to complete approximately four kilometers of Highway 2A twinning.

“The province continues to invest in highway infrastructure and has committed to twinning Highway 2A through Lacombe,” said Luke Ouellette, Minister of Transportation. “This project is an excellent example of government’s ongoing commitment to support communities by building the roadways and infrastructure to meet Alberta’s growing economy and population.”

This agreement commits the province to fund the Highway 2A twinning project.

“Council is excited that after several years of discussion, negotiation and study the Town has reached an agreement with the province,” said Judy Gordon, Mayor of Lacombe. “We will involve the citizens regarding applying for city status and consult with affected landowners and building occupants along Highway 2A regarding highway reconstruction. Council is adamant about maintaining our quality of life and our rich heritage.”

In line with the agreement, the Town will begin the process of applying for city status. Maintenance and responsibility for Highway 2A and Highway 12 through Lacombe is currently managed by Alberta Transportation and would be transferred to the municipality after the twinning work is completed if city status is granted.

The design work for the twinning is currently underway. The project is expected to be tendered as early as fall 2010, with construction anticipated to begin in spring 2011.

link
http://alberta.ca/acn/200910/271376D...7815D6ADE.html

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 11:04 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Huh, neat.

I think I've been to Lacombe twice. It's a nice town, especially that area right above the lakes.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 2:00 AM
Hicksville Perspective

Does anyone know if Red Deer has a designated CMD? By my way of thinking if Red Deer had a CMD which extended north to say Lacombe, west to Bentley and Sylvan Lake, south to Innisfail ... and east to? then the Red Deer CMD would likely be 130,000+ which would be far larger more populous than the Lethbridge area.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 5:48 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

By CMD you mean CMA? I'm not catching the acronym.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 1:33 AM
Hicksville Perspective

/\ You're right my bad

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 2:26 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

In that case, Red Deer will probably get it's own CMA in the coming decade or the decade following that. Red Deer still has about 10 000 people to add to it's city count to get that little prize.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 6:19 AM

Don't know how many of you live here or have been to Lethbridge, but I figure since I'm living here while going to University I might as well add to this thread.

Any requests of any particular things you guys want a picture of? I'm not very good with the picture taking but I'll give it a shot. (no pun intended )

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 6:26 AM

^I grew up in Lethbridge, and I have some pictures on page 5 of this thread. Are you living in residence or off campus?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
^I grew up in Lethbridge, and I have some pictures on page 5 of this thread. Are you living in residence or off campus?
Off-campus on the Westside (As do 99% of the Uni students). On-campus is WAY too expensive.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 7:05 PM

University of Lethbridge Markin Building

The new Management building that they are constructing.

All pictures from University of Lethbridge

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 7:23 PM

Built exactly a year ago, November 2008; University of Lethbridge Water and Environmental Science Building

Credit
Credit2

Some other summer pictures from around campus; University Hall and Part of (new-ish) Library.

Credit for both pictures

Last edited by Cow-garian; Nov 13, 2009 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCoaster View Post
Does anyone know if Red Deer has a designated CMD? By my way of thinking if Red Deer had a CMD which extended north to say Lacombe, west to Bentley and Sylvan Lake, south to Innisfail ... and east to? then the Red Deer CMD would likely be 130,000+ which would be far larger more populous than the Lethbridge area.
Red Deer has a CA instead of a CMA. A CA is a measure of metropolitan areas smaller than a CMA. The Red Deer CA contains (as of the 2006 census) only the city of Red Deer. To cover the area you mention it would need to include all of Red Deer and Lacombe Counties along with all of the municipalities contained therein. The census rules require that municipalities not be split and that the CA or CMA must be contiguous without holes. Currently commuter patterns do not allow for the Red Deer CA to grow. The two counties are still predominantly agricultural in character. When Red Deer's commuter trends justify their inclusion the area will be far larger than you mention, from west of Eckville to south of Bowden. A cursory look at commuting patterns suggests that this will not occur in 2011 even if the city of Red Deer has grown sufficiently to form a CMA by itself. It will happen eventually but, like Foothills joining Calgary's CMA, the timing is up for debate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia