HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 4:34 PM
Community Guy

City invests in new affordable housing
May 27, 2021

The City is investing in the development of innovative and community-based affordable housing for First Nations families, newcomers, women and children, and people with disabilities at four locations across Edmonton.

Executive Committee approved $10.37 million in grant funding today under the second round of the Affordable Housing Investment Program. The successful applicants — Avana Rentals, Right at Home Housing Society, and Treaty 8 First Nations of Alberta Holdings Ltd. — will each receive funding for up to 25 per cent of capital costs. The developers will create 124 new units of below-market affordable housing, ranging from studio apartments for youth to four bedroom townhomes for families.

“The City is investing in much more than just buildings. The future residents will not only have a safe, stable and affordable place to call home, but also a network of support to foster their long-term success,” said Christel Kjenner, director of Affordable Housing and Homelessness. “Developments like this will help fill the affordable housing gap while also addressing some of the root causes of homelessness and housing insecurity.”

"Treaty 8, on behalf of its Sovereign Nations extends its heartfelt appreciation and gratitude to the City of Edmonton for today’s Executive Committee approval of $6 million in funding,” said Margo Auger, Chief Administrative Officer, Treaty 8 First Nations of Alberta Holdings Ltd. “It’s an important initial funding commitment that will leverage other needed funds to build the Fort Road Project. Upon completion, these facilities will create Indigenous affordable housing opportunities linked to health care access and child and family supports. Long-standing systemic Indigenous social and health care inequities can now be addressed in Edmonton. This project has been a Chief’s vision for over 10 years.”

“Avana is thrilled to partner with the City of Edmonton to offer much needed affordable housing for women and children. We work closely with the YWCA to maximize the community impact of the newly constructed, safe, attainable housing units,” said Jennifer Denouden, President and CEO, Avana Rentals.

"Right at Homes’ Beacon Heights and St. Paul Legacy projects are a collaborative investment in community. These 32 new, high quality housing units will be a home for many new families to live, learn and have the opportunity to prosper. We are thankful for the support of the City of Edmonton, our faith based partners, and other agencies supporting individuals in need," said Stuart Kehrig, Board President, Right at Home Housing Society.

The $133 million Affordable Housing Investment Plan was launched in 2018 with the goal of creating 2,500 new or refurbished units of affordable housing by 2022. The City is more than halfway to meeting its goal, with funding now approved for the construction of 1,406 units.

For more information:
Backgrounder
edmonton.ca/affordablehousing

Media contact:
Nicole Thomas
Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-819-1109

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 9:35 PM
Community Guy

A Better Community Through Housing - June 22

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/a-better...term=viewevent

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:00 PM
Community Guy

City offers more grants for affordable housing
June 28, 2021

The City continues its push to increase housing options for all Edmontonians by launching a third round of capital grants for affordable housing development.

The Affordable Housing Investment Program offers grants that cover up to 25 per cent of capital construction costs for multi-unit non-market housing and are available to eligible nonprofit and private sector organizations. Since 2020, the City has invested $13.8 million in 283 new units of affordable housing through the program. Applications for the third round of grant funding are due by September 3, 2021.

“We’ve had great success attracting affordable housing investment through this grant program. Every dollar the City has spent has been matched, on average, by six dollars from grant recipients,” said Christel Kjenner, the City’s Director of Affordable Housing and Homelessness. “More importantly, we’ve secured support for permanent, safe and affordable housing for Edmontonians who need it most.”

The grant program is part of the City’s $133 million Affordable Housing Investment Plan, approved in 2018 with the goal of creating 2,500 new units by 2022. Through grants, land contributions, surplus school site redevelopment and supportive housing development, the City is on track to meet this goal, with support approved for 1531 units so far.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/affordablehousinginvestment

Media contact:
Nicole Thomas
Senior Communications Advisor
780-819-1109

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 2:34 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton receives $14.9M from Ottawa to build 68 supportive housing units, Iveson again urges province to cover operating costs

Author of the article Dustin Cook
Publishing date:Jul 06, 2021

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...eid=b81cde227f

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 2:34 PM
Community Guy

RDN's Affordable Housing Project in Edmonton - what does it look like to you?

https://www.housingredefined.ca/prop...m_medium=email

Last edited by Coldrsx; Jul 28, 2021 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 5:33 PM
Community Guy

The governments of Alberta and Canada will provide more affordable housing for Indigenous peoples in north Edmonton.

Through this important project, Indigenous families, seniors, students and individuals with low incomes will have access to safe and affordable homes in north Edmonton.

Tribal Chiefs Ventures Inc. will offer 32 units of affordable housing across four fourplexes, each with eight units. The buildings are conveniently located close to transit, schools and shopping amenities. Rent for these units is set at 30 per cent of gross household income – the standard for affordability.

Gov.ab.ca

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 1:38 AM
Community Guy

EDMONTON, AB, Dec. 22, 2021 /CNW/ - HomeEd, the City of Edmonton Non-Profit Housing Corporation, has acquired 144 townhomes in the Northeast Edmonton neighborhood of Clareview. The $26.5 million purchase of the Claremont Court townhouse complex is the start of an ambitious strategy to provide Edmontonians with greater access to quality, affordable housing.

"These are tough times for many Edmontonians, causing many to question how they can pay their rent while still taking care of their families," said Nick Lilley, Executive Director of HomeEd. "Our goal is to help as many people as we can find or preserve the homes they love at rents they can afford."

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...822838506.html

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
EDMONTON, AB, Dec. 22, 2021 /CNW/ - HomeEd, the City of Edmonton Non-Profit Housing Corporation, has acquired 144 townhomes in the Northeast Edmonton neighborhood of Clareview. The $26.5 million purchase of the Claremont Court townhouse complex is the start of an ambitious strategy to provide Edmontonians with greater access to quality, affordable housing.

"These are tough times for many Edmontonians, causing many to question how they can pay their rent while still taking care of their families," said Nick Lilley, Executive Director of HomeEd. "Our goal is to help as many people as we can find or preserve the homes they love at rents they can afford."

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...822838506.html
Um, what? EXISTING housing stock? I didn't realize the city was nationalizing housing stock.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 4:27 PM
Community Guy

Indeed.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 7:41 PM
Community Guy

City offers more affordable housing grants
January 31, 2022

The City continues to attract housing options for all Edmontonians with the launch of a fourth round of capital grants for affordable housing development.

The Affordable Housing Investment Program offers up to 25 per cent of capital construction costs for multi-unit non-market housing. Eligible nonprofit and private sector organizations can apply for the new round of grant funding that will close April 13, 2022.

Since 2019, the City has invested $18.4 million for 360 new units of affordable housing through the program. Every dollar invested by the City attracts nearly six dollars in affordable housing investment.

“It’s impossible to thrive while worrying about having a roof over your head,” said Christel Kjenner, the City’s Director of Affordable Housing and Homelessness. “This program not only helps struggling Edmontonians with safe, affordable and permanent housing, it leverages partnerships and expertise to make a difference throughout the city.”

The grant program is part of the City’s $133 million Affordable Housing Investment Plan, approved in 2018 with the goal of creating 2,500 new units by 2022. The City is currently on track to meet its goal, thanks to grants, land contributions, surplus school site redevelopment and supportive housing development.

To date, 1739 units have been approved, not counting the third round of Affordable Housing Investment Program grants, which closed September 30, 2021 and will be presented to council in coming weeks.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/affordablehousinginvestment

Media contact:
Brent Wittmeier
Communications Advisor
780-619-1925

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 7:51 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 11:44 PM

Hi all.

Don’t know if this is the right thread to ask but I’m considering moving to Edmonton and have been looking at the Matheson Seniors building at 11445 135 St NW. Does anyone know anything about the building or adjacent neighborhoods?

Any insight is appreciated!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Blake View Post
Hi all.

Don’t know if this is the right thread to ask but I’m considering moving to Edmonton and have been looking at the Matheson Seniors building at 11445 135 St NW. Does anyone know anything about the building or adjacent neighborhoods?

Any insight is appreciated!
This location is in a quiet older neighbourhood that is a block away from a small mall that has a Walmart, Safeway, Home Depot and a bunch of small stores. There is a lot of fast food places nearby. Even better is the large public park called Coronation that is one of the city’s crown jewels with walking paths, lawn bowling, IMAX and Planetarium. As to the seniors residence there are many in the area but I am not familiar with this one but it appears from the pictures to be a very large building so I assume it has some amenities. There is a bus station nearby with frequent bus service to downtown and possibly West Edmonton Mall.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
This location is in a quiet older neighbourhood that is a block away from a small mall that has a Walmart, Safeway, Home Depot and a bunch of small stores. There is a lot of fast food places nearby. Even better is the large public park called Coronation that is one of the city’s crown jewels with walking paths, lawn bowling, IMAX and Planetarium. As to the seniors residence there are many in the area but I am not familiar with this one but it appears from the pictures to be a very large building so I assume it has some amenities. There is a bus station nearby with frequent bus service to downtown and possibly West Edmonton Mall.
Wonderful, thank you! It sounds right up my alley.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Blake View Post
Wonderful, thank you! It sounds right up my alley.
I hope you have a great experience in your new home and welcome to Edmonton.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I hope you have a great experience in your new home and welcome to Edmonton.
Thanks. I’m not 100% of the way just yet but close.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 10:29 PM
Community Guy

February 24, 2022

The City is investing in 565 units of affordable housing through six projects that will help people who have experienced homelessness, women and children fleeing violence, Indigenous peoples and low-income seniors.

City Council approved $16.77 million in grant funding today as part of the third round of the Affordable Housing Investment Program. Developers and partner agencies will create 265 new and 300 rehabilitated affordable housing units, ranging from studio apartments to three-bedroom homes.

“This is exciting news, proof that strong and innovative partnerships can make a massive difference in our neighbourhoods,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “Affordable housing is a city-wide need for thousands of Edmontonians, and we’re incentivizing a wide range of options. These projects will be life-changing for retirees, newcomers, single-income families and people who have experienced houselessness.”

Since AHIP’s 2018 launch, the City has invested $35.2 million for 915 units of affordable housing. Successful applicants receive funding for up to 25 per cent of capital costs. Wednesday's grants represent the largest round of successful grants to date.

“Affordable housing fills a broad spectrum of needs, but it’s ultimately about making sure people have safety and stability,” said Christel Kjenner, director of Affordable Housing and Homelessness. “These projects will provide homes to hundreds of Edmontonians who would otherwise have to worry about having a roof over their heads.”

The projects represent a total investment of approximately $155 million and include a diversity of affordable housing options:
A new Mustard Seed permanent supportive housing development with 38 units for people who have experienced chronic homelessness or housing instability.
Two collaborations with the YWCA to provide 77 units of affordable housing for women and children escaping domestic abuse, as well as individuals who have experienced homelessness.
The rehabilitation of 411 units at Matheson Seniors’ Residence, which has been providing affordable options for low-income seniors for nearly 50 years.
Two other affordable rental projects which would provide housing for members of Enoch Cree Nation, as well as tenants including single parents, seniors and new immigrants.

"The number of people experiencing homelessness in Edmonton has grown substantially over the last few years and there is a critical shortage of affordable housing options,” said Dean Kurpjuweit, Chief Regional Officer at The Mustard Seed. “We are deeply grateful for the opportunity to be a part of the solution, and to be able to offer a safe, supportive space for people to call home."

“We are excited to work with Avana as they build high-quality, beautiful housing in our community that is affordable for women and children,” said Katherine O’Neill, CEO, YWCA Edmonton. “Finding and securing appropriate, long-term housing they can afford is a major barrier for women trying to leave an abusive relationship. YWCA Edmonton has been working with Avana throughout the COVID-19 pandemic to create a model that will help women and their children move from crisis to resilience by providing high quality rentals in vibrant new neighbourhoods. These homes will change lives.”

“Construction on Matheson Seniors Highrise began more than 50 years ago, with a vision of quality affordable seniors housing,” said Rob Appleyard, Executive Director, Matheson Seniors Housing Corp. “The need for affordable housing continues to grow, and this grant will help us ensure these units are available and affordable for another 50 years.”

“The Leston Group is proud to partner with The City of Edmonton and CMHC to build 102 affordable housing apartments in Heritage Valley,” said David Mitton, president, Leston Holdings. “Our development will provide safe, affordable housing that the community and its residents will take pride in. Working alongside Enoch Cree Nation and Catholic Social Services, we look forward to welcoming residents into their new homes in the fall of 2022.”

"Westrich is proud of this partnership, which will provide stable, affordable housing in the University of Alberta area, with great connections to employment, transit and education," said David Sanche, co-CEO of Westrich Pacific. "We're proud of this development, and we’re even more excited about what these homes will mean for residents."

For more information:
Backgrounder
edmonton.ca/affordablehousing

Media contact:
Brent Wittmeier
Communications Advisor
780-619-1925

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 4:29 PM
Community Guy

Reference ID: Job No 425182006-002
Description: To change the use from Hotel to Supportive Housing
Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lots 199-201
Applicant: URBAN SPARQ
Create Date: 3/2/2022 9:30:50 AM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 11:49 PM
Community Guy

Federal government invests $24M on new affordable housing in southwest Edmonton

By Caley Gibson Global News
Posted March 15, 2022 12:51 pm

Construction is underway on a six-storey low-rise apartment building in southwest Edmonton which will soon offer more than 100 affordable housing units to those in need.

The building is located in the area of 118 Street and 30 Avenue SW in the Heritage Valley community.

Federal Housing Minister Ahmed Hussen said the federal government is investing $24 million in the Heritage Flats project, which will create 102 permanent, affordable homes primarily for Enoch Cree Nation members, including women and their children.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8684508/s...rtive-housing/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 5:31 PM
Community Guy

An interesting read from CBRE on Inclusionary Zoning.

https://www.cbre.ca/en/about/advanta...03%2f22%2f2022

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton