HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
The Commons is not as good a site as Magnetic Hill based on the fact that it is flat and surrounded by tall buildings...in my humble opinion. I agree Citadel Hill is better then the Commons but cannot accomodate 80-100,000 (don't think the common's could either based on what I saw at the Stones concert.

I disagree I think its a great site...I'm not sure that the buldings are that much of a factor really. Also I doubt there to may concerts that will attract over 80,000. I know they were saying 100,000 for the potential Eagles concert, but I haves my doubts for 100,000. Who knows though I guess...

Last edited by Haliguy; Feb 14, 2008 at 5:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I disagree I think its a great site...I'm not sure that the buldings are that much of a factor really.
Did you go to the Stones concert in Halifax??

Have you ever been to a concert at Magnetic Hill??

I'm not slamming anything about Halifax and if I lived in Halifax or PEI I would still say that Magnetic hill is the superior site.

JL

PS> I also wanted to clerify, off the top of my head, that I am not speaking out of my butt here. Below is a brief list of what I can remember that I've seen along with being on the stage crew for several of them:

Stones (2x)
Alice Cooper (4x)
Sloan (2x)
Kanye West
Maroon 5
Our Lady Peace (3x)
Tragically Hip (5x)
Nickelback
3 Days Grace
The Trews
Lynryd Skynrd
Heart
Peter Frampton
Steppenwolf
Foreigner
Toronto
Headpins
John Cougar Mellencamp
Alan Jackson
Faith Hill
Bryan Adams (4x)
Colin James (3x)
Green Day
Platinum Blonde
13 Engines
Grapes of Wrath
Spoons
Ozzy Osbourne
Meatloaf
Jethro Tull
Def Leppard
Triumph
Sven Gali
Hedley
Cher
Blackhawk
Diamond Rio
Irish Rovers
Shaggy
Haywire
Trooper (6x+)
Leahy
Matt Minglewood
Honeymoon Suite
Brighton Rock
Lee Aaron
April Wine (3x)
Alannah Myles
Alanis Morrisette
Millie Vanilli
Young MC
Jann Arden
Moxy Fruvous
Burton Cummings
I Mother Earth
The Tea Party
Bucket Truck
Moist
Joydrop
Esthero
Pat Benetar
Great Big Sea
Barenaked Ladies
Metallica
Extreme
Steve Miller Band
Helix
Kim Mitchell
Gowan
Jeff Healy
Ashley MacIsaac
Melissa Etheridge
The Pursuit Of Happiness
Celine Dion
Frozen Ghost
Little Texas
Sass Jordan
Vanilla Ice
LL Cool J
McMaster and James
Blue Rodeo (4x)
54/40
The Northern Pikes
Tom Cochrane
The Roadhammers
FM w/ Nash The Slash
Doug & The Slugs
Cats Can Fly
Chris Colepaugh & The Cosmic Crew
Big Sugar
Rawlin's Cross
Paul Young
Glass Tiger
Luba
Smashing Pumpkins
Aerosmith
Cheap Trick

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Did you go to the Stones concert in Halifax??

Have you ever been to a concert at Magnetic Hill??

I'm not slamming anything about Halifax and if I lived in Halifax or PEI I would still say that Magnetic hill is the superior site.

JL

PS> I also wanted to clerify, off the top of my head, that I am not speaking out of my butt here. Below is a brief list of what I can remember that I've seen along with being on the stage crew for several of them:

Stones (2x)
Alice Cooper (4x)
Sloan (2x)
Kanye West
Maroon 5
Our Lady Peace (3x)
Tragically Hip (5x)
Nickelback
3 Days Grace
The Trews
Lynryd Skynrd
Heart
Peter Frampton
Steppenwolf
Foreigner
Toronto
Headpins
John Cougar Mellencamp
Alan Jackson
Faith Hill
Bryan Adams (4x)
Colin James (3x)
Green Day
Platinum Blonde
13 Engines
Grapes of Wrath
Spoons
Ozzy Osbourne
Meatloaf
Jethro Tull
Def Leppard
Triumph
Sven Gali
Hedley
Cher
Blackhawk
Diamond Rio
Irish Rovers
Shaggy
Haywire
Trooper (6x+)
Leahy
Matt Minglewood
Honeymoon Suite
Brighton Rock
Lee Aaron
April Wine (3x)
Alannah Myles
Alanis Morrisette
Millie Vanilli
Young MC
Jann Arden
Moxy Fruvous
Burton Cummings
I Mother Earth
The Tea Party
Bucket Truck
Moist
Joydrop
Esthero
Pat Benetar
Great Big Sea
Barenaked Ladies
Metallica
Extreme
Steve Miller Band
Helix
Kim Mitchell
Gowan
Jeff Healy
Ashley MacIsaac
Melissa Etheridge
The Pursuit Of Happiness
Celine Dion
Frozen Ghost
Little Texas
Sass Jordan
Vanilla Ice
LL Cool J
McMaster and James
Blue Rodeo (4x)
54/40
The Northern Pikes
Tom Cochrane
The Roadhammers
FM w/ Nash The Slash
Doug & The Slugs
Cats Can Fly
Big Sugar
Rawlin's Cross
Paul Young
Glass Tiger
Luba
Smashing Pumpkins
Aerosmith
Cheap Trick
I was there..but I haven't seen as many concerts as you have...thats pretty impressive.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:09 PM
You talkin' to me?

Heres my take.

The Magnetic Hill site itself is superior to the commons because of its natural slope, and the way it is layed out. As for size, it isnt really a factor as each site can accomodate atleast 100,000 people (Less than half of the commons was used to hold 50,000 + setup).

But as far as where the sites are located, I'd have to say the Commons are better, and Im not just being biased. Being in the middle of the city has advantages. It is within walking distance of many many hotels, bars, and services and the transit to get people around is excellent.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Heres my take.

The Magnetic Hill site itself is superior to the commons because of its natural slope, and the way it is layed out. As for size, it isnt really a factor as each site can accomodate atleast 100,000 people (Less than half of the commons was used to hold 50,000 + setup).

But as far as where the sites are located, I'd have to say the Commons are better, and Im not just being biased. Being in the middle of the city has advantages. It is within walking distance of many many hotels, bars, and services and the transit to get people around is excellent.
That being said ... you never answered my question...did you go to the Stones concert at the Commons? Have you been to a concert at Magnetic Hill?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:50 PM

Moncton sweet talks event planners
City staff takes unique approach to drumming up business

Published Thursday February 14th, 2008
Appeared on page A1

OTTAWA - Ondina Love loves Metro Moncton.

The executive director of Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists picked Moncton as the site of the association's 2007 national conference, and describes the experience as an exceptional success.

As executive director of CASLPA, she does preliminary site visits and negotiates contracts, but then the organization of each year's conference is done by local members of her association and a professional meeting manager.

"Usually I only get involved if there are problems. Every year, at conferences, there's always problems," she said. "In Moncton there were none. It was the first time ever that's happened. It was fantastic."

From the thrill of exploring caves in Albert County, to running and hiking the Riverfront Trail which she described as excellent, to "the best delegate bags ever" sponsored by the City of Moncton, to the fact staff at the Delta Beauséjour made special celiac food to meet the needs of one delegate, right down to special cookies for the woman's coffee breaks, Love described the whole experience as first rate.

"There were 500 of us. They were bursting at the seams, but they still handled it so well," she said.

Ondina Love didn't need convincing last night, but more than 400 other executive directors and meeting planners had to be wooed at the Westin Hotel in Ottawa, where the premier gathering of the meeting and conference industry was being held.

The City of Moncton, like every other Canadian city of significance, was there to entice all those who had never had the Moncton experience.

Competition for the conference, meeting, convention and trade show industry is tough. The City of Regina even brought actress Gabrielle Miller from Corner Gas to market their city. The Moncton delegation had to get creative to even capture delegates' attentions, let alone their hearts.

They did that precisely by appealing to people's hearts as well as their minds. Some great prizes helped too.

Pursuing a Valentine's Day theme, the city presented each delegate with a box of Ganong chocolates. Upon each of the boxes was a cheeky personal ad that featured Moncton looking for suitors, that is meeting and conference business.

"Exceptionally polite east-coaster with big city approach... looking to get serious with like-minded partner," the ad begins.

Kelly Cain, Moncton's director of tourism, addressed the amused delegates.

"This is the part of the evening where we are supposed to show you a video and highlight our 2,000 hotel rooms, our expanding conference space and our unique coastal excursions," she said. "But we are Moncton.and we tend to do things unconventionally."

With romance in the air this week, Cain told her audience Moncton wanted to get to know them and wanted them to get to know Moncton

"We wanted to court you just a little -- maybe even flirt with you shamelessly," she said.

Whether they found it romantic or not, three delegates at least got lucky. Thanks to active corporate partners, particularly the Delta Beauséjour, Crowne Plaza and Ramada Plaza Crystal Palace, who all had representatives onstage with Cain, the Moncton delegation was able to use the prospect of a bit of good old fashioned swag for those not easily swayed by sweet talk.

Prizes in a random draw included having renowned Delta chef Stefan Mueller fly in to prepare a dinner party for six at one meeting planner's home. Another was a trip for two to Moncton for a familiarization tour of what the area offers. Yet another prize was a musical weekend in Moncton, including a stay at the Ramada's Rock'n'Roll suite and tickets to a "big outdoor concert" this summer, though Cain demurred when it came time to kiss and tell the name of the headline act.

At press time last night, the nation's most influential meeting planners were still enjoying their night out on the town -- and nibbling on some great New Brunswick chocolates.

How much interest in Moncton as a conference destination will come about directly from this one event is one of those intangibles that will be hard to track.

Love at first sight can happen, but meeting planners are a cautious bunch who just might like to take things slow.

But one thing that was clear from looking around the Westin's ballroom last night. The city that was previously an unknown to most of the delegates now has a name and a face and showed a lot of personality.

As first dates go it was a good one. As blind dates go, it was like Ms. Love's conference, an exceptional success.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Moncton welcomes concert spotlight
Ian Fowler says city is working to bring in big show this summer

By Eric Lewis
Times & Transcript Staff
Appeared on page A1

Ian Fowler is convinced that Moncton has "without a shadow of a doubt" the best outdoor concert venue in Atlantic Canada.

Moncton's general manager for recreation, parks, tourism and culture works with promoters in trying bring bands to the city and, if various media reports from around the region this week turn out to be true, The Eagles will be the next group to land in the Hub City.

Reports from Halifax this week citing unnamed sources said the legendary band would be performing at Magnetic Hill on Aug. 2.

Fowler says as much as he would love the show to happen, "At this point, we don't have a signed deal for The Eagles or for any other show. But we're hoping in the near future we'll bring some deal to fruition so that there is music at Magnetic Hill this summer."

Whether this show happens or not, Fowler says the city is actively working with promoters in an effort to bring a big show to the city this summer.

Fowler says the city has plenty going for it in terms of selling the city and the Magnetic Hill venue to promoters.

"The first thing that's allowed us to get into the marketplace is our site," he says. "We're convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that we've got the best site in Atlantic Canada."

Fowler cites the city's central location within Atlantic Canada as a great selling point. With Quebec and the New England states nearby, it's an easy sell, he says.

Also, the site has been developed a little more each year since the Rolling Stones first rocked the hill in 2005. The Stones promoters partnered with the city on the concert site, leaving behind a stage pad that allows a very heavy concert stage to be placed on it.

Each year, the city has added more to the site including water and sewer access so that it becomes "closer to a turn-key operation" where a band can simply land with their gear, set up and rock out.

"The infrastructure that goes into doing these one-day outdoor shows is a lot of cost for the promoter," Fowler explains, "So by us having a power source, by us having fencing, by us having water, those types of things, we're able to minimize some of those one-time costs that a promoter has to look at."

This year, the city is looking at installing permanent buildings to house dressing rooms for the bands and administration trailers.

Another selling point for the city is the track record it has, having successfully brought tens of thousands of people in for the Rolling Stones in 2005, Brooks & Dunn and Alan Jackson in 2006 and Tim McGraw and Faith Hill in 2007.

Other strengths Moncton has, he says, include a strong team including Fowler himself and Shane Porter who also works on bringing concerts to the area, and the support of local media and business who go all out to make the events a success.

Asked about the perception that Moncton has been blazing a concert trail while Halifax and Charlottetown are trying to keep up, Fowler said that up until a few years ago, the outdoor concert business hardly existed until the Rolling Stones put it back on the map three years ago in Moncton.

"No one ever expected the Rolling Stones would play Atlantic Canada," he says with a laugh. "But they came, they played Moncton, they were extremely successful. I think that turned a lot of heads in Atlantic Canada.

"Are we pioneers? Are we trailblazing? Yeah, I think we are," Fowler says, "Because we have a vision and we know where we want to go. We're just not trying to get into the market because someone else is getting into it."

The positive media support Fowler mentioned isn't something promoters can count on everywhere. Harold MacKay, promoter of both Country Rocks the Hill shows in Moncton and the upcoming one in Halifax on Aug. 30 of this year featuring Keith Urban and a slew of other acts, ran into a snag after the big show was announced just before Christmas last year.

A Halifax newspaper ran an editorial cartoon mocking the multi-platinum selling Urban.

At the time, MacKay decided to boycott the Halifax paper, and suggested in a press release that Halifax media could learn a thing or two from Moncton.

"Some media here (in Halifax) should study other cities like Moncton to see how positive media coverage works to everyone's behalf," MacKay wrote in the release.

Yesterday however, he noted that he had made up with the newspaper, but said that media in Moncton is indeed "extremely supportive of everything that you do (in Moncton)."

MacKay had positive things to say about his past dealings in Moncton. "Moncton just has a good feeling about it when you're trying to negotiate to bring talent to the city."

MacKay's only complaint about the city would be with accommodations, noting that he has noticed hotel rates in the city get put higher when a big event comes to town.

However, he notes that many people have told him it's not an issue specific to Moncton.

Planning for events in Halifax isn't as simple, he says. MacKay says the two concert sites in Halifax, Citadel Hill and the Halifax Commons, are harder to plan for and to produce the show because they are both right in the middle of the downtown area.

MacKay notes however that the benefits of running in downtown Halifax are that the entire downtown area gets an energetic atmosphere when a big event is going on.

He says past criticism of how Halifax has dealt with bringing concerts to the city seem to be over with.

"They were new to it, and the structure between Events Halifax and the city I guess was the concern. In the City of Moncton, there is no question, you make the connection with Ian Fowler and Ian puts things together with his staff and it makes negotiations very easy.

"I think Halifax has got that ironed out now."

MacKay says however that Moncton was the leader in the Atlantic Canadian concert world initially in "going after it in a big way by going after the Stones, which set the stage in a way for other shows to follow. There's no question, myself as a promoter, when I mentioned the Rolling Stones had been to Moncton, it makes for a big, big deal."

MacKay says having three cities in the concert market makes things better for him as a promoter because it allows him different options for different shows.

Halifax Mayor Peter Kelly said last night that the city is working now to try to bring a rock concert to the city this summer in addition to its upcoming Keith Urban show.

In response to the criticism of how Halifax has handled concerts in the past, Kelly says, "Right now we're the only one with a signed contract (for a concert). Moncton doesn't, Charlottetown doesn't. We do for Keith Urban. That's one down, and we're looking at number two.

"To say that (Moncton is) the trailblazers, I would have to disagree. But to say that they are very much interested in bringing concerts as we are, absolutely. And they do it very well."

Kelly says there is no reason there should be any "dissing" between the cities as "what is good for Moncton is good for Halifax, and what is good for Halifax is good for Moncton." He said the same for Charlottetown, noting that the entire region should be happy when any of its cities lands a big event.

"I see no negativity to this whatsoever."

Kelly believes the Halifax Commons is a venue second-to-none with its central downtown location with easy access to hotels, bars and restaurants in the area.

"If Moncton is able to secure (The Eagles), I congratulate them and wish them well, and we'll continue to work on our projects as well."

Wayne Long, events development officer with the city of Charlottetown, said yesterday that the Island city is also looking at various concerts for the summer. He said major selling points for the Charlottetown Drive Park are that it is a big venue with plenty of infrastructure that is already a part of the site. The site held an Aerosmith concert last summer and hosted the Black Eyed Peas in 2006.

He admitted the one drawback that has garnered complaints is that the site is quite flat, making it difficult for some to see. He says the municipality is considering other potential sites in and around the city.

He says Charlottetown isn't trying to compete with anyone in the concert world on the East Coast.

"I want to be clear at the end of the day, we look to do events that are good for our city and remain open-minded."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dieppe wins Bloom award

times & transcript staff
Appeared on page A3

Surprise and delight were expressed during Dieppe's council meeting this week as local Communities in Bloom chairman Bob Crossman presented the city with an award after Metro Moncton scored tops in its category in the national WinterLights Celebrations symposium.

Metro Moncton, which was recognized for enhancing the quality of life, took top honours in the 50,000-plus population category.

WinterLights is the winter edition of the popular Communities in Bloom program. During the month of December, trained volunteer judges evaluated the participating communities on the program's five criteria: visual presentation, festive season celebrations, winter pleasures, goodwill programs and tourism and promotion.

"This is quite a credit to the citizens of Dieppe," Mayor Achille Maillet said.

Dieppe rezoning proposal meets no objections

Appeared on page A4

A public hearing on the topic of a rezoning for the north side of Melanson Road, near du Moulin Street, heard no objections from the public during Monday's Dieppe City Council meeting.

A company called Tridev plans a mixed-residential development for that area, just west of Dieppe Boulevard.

Dieppe City Council, during their meeting, gave the first of three necessary readings to the rezoning application with the condition that the developer has to make sure that there will be no more runoff of surface water than exists now on the properties they are developing in that neighbourhood.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 7:10 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
That being said ... you never answered my question...did you go to the Stones concert at the Commons? Have you been to a concert at Magnetic Hill?
I believe you were directing that question at Haliguy, but yes I've been to Magnetic Hill, the Commons, and the CDP for concerts before. I wouldnt have had a say if I hadnt. And Im judging from my own experience.

Im a big concert goer myself, but I can't say I've been to as many shows as you have.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 7:16 PM

Waiting for official word

Another non-confirmation of the Eagles in Moncton this Summer. Broadcast reports Tuesday had the legendary band playing Magnetic Hill on August second. But the City of Moncton says nothing is confirmed. And now, promoter Donald K Donald's Executive VP of Operations, Kim Darlington, says she can't confirm that the Eagles are Moncton-bound on their Long Road Out of Eden tour. Darlington says they have been talking with the band about an Atlantic Canadian date, but she won't say when or where that could happen.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I was there..but I haven't seen as many concerts as you have...thats pretty impressive.

I said I was there.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 8:55 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

No Floyd, JasonL?
Shame.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 5:21 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Stones (2x)
Alice Cooper (4x)
Sloan (2x)
Kanye West
Maroon 5
Our Lady Peace (3x)
Tragically Hip (5x)
Nickelback
3 Days Grace
The Trews
Lynryd Skynrd
Heart
Peter Frampton
Steppenwolf
Foreigner
Toronto
Headpins
John Cougar Mellencamp
Alan Jackson
Faith Hill
Bryan Adams (4x)
Colin James (3x)
Green Day
Platinum Blonde
13 Engines
Grapes of Wrath
Spoons
Ozzy Osbourne
Meatloaf
Jethro Tull
Def Leppard
Triumph
Sven Gali
Hedley
Cher
Blackhawk
Diamond Rio
Irish Rovers
Shaggy
Haywire
Trooper (6x+)
Leahy
Matt Minglewood
Honeymoon Suite
Brighton Rock
Lee Aaron
April Wine (3x)
Alannah Myles
Alanis Morrisette
Millie Vanilli
Young MC
Jann Arden
Moxy Fruvous
Burton Cummings
I Mother Earth
The Tea Party
Bucket Truck
Moist
Joydrop
Esthero
Pat Benetar
Great Big Sea
Barenaked Ladies
Metallica
Extreme
Steve Miller Band
Helix
Kim Mitchell
Gowan
Jeff Healy
Ashley MacIsaac
Melissa Etheridge
The Pursuit Of Happiness
Celine Dion
Frozen Ghost
Little Texas
Sass Jordan
Vanilla Ice
LL Cool J
McMaster and James
Blue Rodeo (4x)
54/40
The Northern Pikes
Tom Cochrane
The Roadhammers
FM w/ Nash The Slash
Doug & The Slugs
Cats Can Fly
Big Sugar
Rawlin's Cross
Paul Young
Glass Tiger
Luba
Smashing Pumpkins
Aerosmith
Cheap Trick

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
No Floyd, JasonL?
Shame.
LOL...no, no Floyd...never had the opportunity.

All the bickering aside, the Eagles coming would be great for any of the three cities. I just personally think that as a venue Moncton's Magnetic Hill site is better.

It would also give me an opportunity to check another one off my 'fogie's' (as in 'old') a la Kiss, Van Halen, etc.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 5:07 PM

Do we need a convention centre?
Experts at Ottawa conference say many groups prefer convenience of hotels

Brent Mazerolle
Published Friday February 15th, 2008
Appeared on page A1

When Kelly Cain, the City of Moncton's director of tourism, took the stage this week at a gala dinner for more than 400 of the people who organize many of Canada's conferences and conventions, she needed to deliver a pitch that would set Moncton apart from all the other Canadian cities in Ottawa vying for the lucrative meeting and conference business.

Her pitch was pitch perfect. Clever and sophisticated but warm and unpretentious -- it was the sort of thing other cities and tourism boards would have paid an advertising firm thousands of dollars to prepare.

Moncton was one of three sponsors of the event, a dinner and charity auction to wrap up the 19th Annual Conference of Meeting Professionals International and the Canadian Society of Association Executives. Moncton was such a hit, the City of Regina scrambled to catch up. Abandoning its presentation, it instead paraded Corner Gas actors Gabrielle Miller and Tara Spencer-Nairn up onstage in their cocktail frocks and fishnet stockings and auctioned off a date with the two of them, which admittedly was also a hit.

Then the City of Toronto took the stage and tanked so badly one of the delegates at the Toronto table had to tap her glass with a fork midway through the presentation in a vain attempt to get people to listen.

Moncton was the belle of the ball, even without mini-dresses and fishnets, but if it scored a major coup in changing perceptions, what remained to be seen the day after was whether or not the city can accommodate the particular needs of this demanding industry.

Several meeting professionals and association executive directors were kind enough to take time out from their crammed agendas this week to talk about what they really need from a host city, beyond brilliant sales pitches and beautiful actresses.

Perhaps the most surprising news is most don't think Moncton needs a convention centre to get their business. In fact, they said they wouldn't use one even if it existed.

Christiane Menard of the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists, said the 700 mostly female delegates she's leading to Moncton this June will be more than happy to meet at the Delta Beauséjour, since they find hotels have a much warmer atmosphere and offer under-one-roof convenience.

"Women in high heels don't want long distances to walk," she said, pointing to just one of the many little details people outside the industry might not even think of, even though it is a huge consideration for Menard when she picks conference sites.

She says convention centres are great for big trade shows, but not necessarily for the 600 Canadian associations like hers, which generally hold mid-sized conferences of 350-600 people.

A good hotel with adequate meeting space also comes out ahead of a convention centre on the detail that is paramount: cost.

"In a hotel, if you buy a certain level of food and beverage and room nights, you get the meeting spaces free. In a convention centre you have to pay," Menard says.

Helene Samson of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada agreed. While her delegates are willing to pay for accommodations in four and five star hotels -- in fact they won't settle for less -- they don't want to pay the extra cost of a convention centre.

Even Louise Tremblay, whose Canadian Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Foundation needs at least 35,000 square feet for its trade shows, looks for hotels that can provide that before going to a convention centre.

Another big conference cost that Metro Moncton has to contend with has nothing to do with downtown. It's the expense delegates will face flying to our airport.

The number of air connections people have to make and the cost of those flights plays a big role in deciding conference sites.

"Ease of travel is quite important to us," Samson says, though she adds the physicians also want to go places they've never been, which plays in Moncton's favour.

Nancy Coll of the Canadian Pharmacists Association echoed that. "Like physicians, our pharmacists are overworked and not easily replaced when they're away," Coll said. "For a lot of them, the annual conference is their vacation, so they take their families along and stay on a few days and want to explore."

The flight card can also play to Moncton's advantage, when it's competing within the region. When the Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists decided it wanted to come to New Brunswick last year, Moncton won out over Saint John and Fredericton because it offered the most flights.

Though Menard is bringing her group to Moncton, she admits it is hurting her bottom line to do so. She had to cut the number of exhibitors she can fit into the trade show aspect of the convention, and those booth rentals to companies that supply her industry are key to underwriting the cost of a large gathering.

The candid Menard said she was disappointed the new downtown Marriott won't have meeting spaces and admitted she recommended Saint John to her members for this year's conference, but Metro Moncton's bilingualism carried the day.

The Pharmacists Association's Coll will likely never bring her large delegations to Moncton unless the city builds a convention centre. A 25 year veteran of the conference business who started working for her meeting planner mother when she was just 14, Coll has a lot of insight into what's at stake. Though many pharmacists make conferences into family vacations, many more in the predominantly female profession travel alone. The safety and ease of being under one roof is a huge consideration. She also says the "three-and-a-half minute rule," must be obeyed. "If delegates have to walk any more than that between meetings you lose them," she said.

And they should be walking between meetings in wide hallways. It's the unofficial networking in the hallways, not the meeting rooms, that brings people to conferences, she says.

Coll, who's on a board advising Ottawa on the new convention centre it is building, said too many convention centre designs make hallways too small and rooms too big. Meeting rooms need to come in a range of sizes, she said.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Main Street store helps with healthy lifestyle change
Naturally Fit fills niche with selection of sports supplements, clothing

Times & Transcript staff
Appeared on page C2

Naturally Fit Moncton found the right niche when it set up shop near a fitness centre on Main Street.

Business has been good, said franchise owner Julie Bourgoin. People are much more health conscious and many are looking for a lifestyle change, maybe to lose weight or beef up muscles through sports supplements and exercise.

The retail store carries a large variety of sports supplements, most of them protein-based, along with sports-oriented clothing and apparel for exercise or casual wear.

Naturally Fit, created nearly 20 years ago by a Fredericton man, now has several franchises across Canada including four in New Brunswick.

The company owners were interested in opening a store in Moncton and Bourgoin, who was working at the Fredericton company head office at the time, saw an opportunity and took the plunge.

The supplements are intended to help people maintain their personal goals.

It could be body-building, endurance in the case of marathon runners and athletes, simple fitness or achieving a healthier lifestyle.

Bourgoin and sales representative Scott Hickey spend time getting to know each customer and what they want before recommending different products. Customers have to be 17 or older.

All of the products sold at the store are Canadian manufactured, she said.

The shop, located at 839 Main St., is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. on Sundays.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Letter of the day | Amalgamation in Metro Moncton is common sense

Appeared on page D10

To The Editor:

I couldn't help but write complimenting Boyd Anderson on his recent column, "Work as one or be forever mediocre."

Mr. Anderson hit the nail right on the head.

In this area we have three municipalities, each proceeding along as a separate entity.

It is probably impossible anywhere in this country to find a similar situation where there are three municipalities so closely linked geographically that, if for no other reason than good common sense, haven't amalgamated long ago.

It seems so foolish for Moncton, Riverview and Dieppe to go on as three separate entities, as this is probably one of the main reasons we have such huge property taxes to pay here.

Over the past few years I have been hit with massive tax increases on my home to the point now that my home is assessed at several thousand dollars more than I would ever receive for it if I was to put it on the market to sell.

With the massive tax increases every year it will only be a matter of time before the only people able to own a home in Moncton and afford to pay the huge taxes on it will be the rich and wealthy and the highly paid department managers at Moncton City Hall.

We have three separate city halls, with Moncton City Hall, backed by most city councillors, seemingly thinking of itself as a private corporation instead of a public institution answerable to the taxpayers and voters of the city with the "cult of secrecy" particularly bad at City Hall and Council in Moncton.

Thankfully Moncton has one councillor, Brian Hicks, who refuses to go along with this "cult of secrecy" and likes to shine a light on matters that the Council and City Hall like to keep from the citizens.

It was just a short time ago Councillor Hicks tried to bring to light the figures of the high paid salaries of the City Hall department managers, but was fought tooth and nail by other councillors and City Hall to keep these salaries secret, even though its mainly the property taxpayers of the city who pay these salaries.

If my memory serves me correctly, it was also Councillor Hicks who brought the Mapleton Park land swap deal to the surface when City Hall and some councillors fought to keep it hidden, possibly because when all details of the deal were made public it was obviously a bad deal.

I sure hope Mr. Hicks runs in the spring election as he seems, more than anybody else on council, to really have the interest of the citizens of Moncton at heart.

Maybe the deadwood on City Council will be swept out and some new councillors elected who are more in line with Mr. Hicks.

This newspaper likes to take occasional potshots at the CBC, but in my opinion CBC Radio Moncton deserves a bouquet for taking this "cult of secrecy" at City Hall to task and the attack on the CBC by Rod Allen was not called for and was very unfair when he should have been attacking City Hall instead.

After all, this newspaper on several occasions in the past has scolded Moncton City Hall and Council for this "cult of secrecy" practised there.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post

Over the past few years I have been hit with massive tax increases on my home to the point now that my home is assessed at several thousand dollars more than I would ever receive for it if I was to put it on the market to sell.
If a property is over assessed, this has little to do with the city - the provincial assessors are at work on this one. If his house is assessed at more than market value, that would be easily addressed by appealing his assessment this spring.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 6:46 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Also, there are lots of examples of cities in Canada made of multiple cities/towns all bunched together.

Montreal: Montreal itself completely surrounds several smaller cities which are separate. They tried to amalgamate, but people voted to break up.

Vancouver is made of dozens of interconnected cities: Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey, North Vancouver.

Toronto, up till pretty recently, was dozens of cities and towns: York, Scarborough, Etobicoke, North York etc. And there's still Missisauga, Brampton, Vaughan, Ajax, Oakville etc etc.

And those are just the big ones!

I used to be in favor of amalgamation, but now I think keeping them distinct isn't all bad. Governments are supposed to represent the interests of their constituents. On issues like the river opening, it's good that the opposition has a strong voice in Riverview town council.

The real trick to keeping things fair though, is making sure that Moncton doesn't always get stuck with an unfairly large chunk of the bill. Roughly 60% of the city's population actually lives in Moncton, yet we often seem to get stuck with 75 or 80% of the bill for shared municipal services. Things like the Turtle Creek expansion will probably be paid entirely by Moncton, even though Dieppe and Riverview will directly benefit from it etc. If everyone pays their /fair/ share, then there isn't a big need for amalgamation.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 5:15 AM
Unregistered Loser

In SJ, we have Saint John, Rothesay and Quispamsis. While the two towns may end up amalgamating eventually, they'll likely never join Saint John...at least not for a long time if ever.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 5:30 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
In SJ, we have Saint John, Rothesay and Quispamsis. While the two towns may end up amalgamating eventually, they'll likely never join Saint John...at least not for a long time if ever.
What kind of services do the three (plus Hampton and Grand Bay-Westfield) share? Policing, water, public transport?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 5:41 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
What kind of services do the three (plus Hampton and Grand Bay-Westfield) share? Policing, water, public transport?
-The SJ Transit provides comex service to Rothesay, Quispamsis, Grand Bay-Westfield and Hampton.

-Rothesay and Quispamsis share policing/fire and other services though I think Rothesay has their own water, but many or most people in the valley are still on wells.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 7:09 AM

Quispamsis, Rothesay, Grand Bay-Westfield, etc. also pay for the upkeep/use of the 'regional' facilities in SJ (Harbour Station, Aquatic Centre, etc.)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 2:23 PM

Rothesay and Quispamsis have their own shared police force (Rothesay Regional Police). Hampton and GB-Westfield are RCMP. Hampton is currently all private wells, but the town and province are investigating a town water supply. So really the only service shared with SJ is the shuttle bus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces