HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 6:42 PM

More Causeway replacement images:

Photos by Times & Transcript

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 6:48 PM

Looks like the Roundabout isn't being touched (not surprising as others have pointed out in the past; it's a mess to try and sort out and outside of the scope of the causeway replacement I'm sure).

Also looks like a fairly major update to the Riverview waterfront in that area.

The pictures are clearly from a presentation; I wonder if the city will be posting it online eventually, instead of leaving it locked to the newspaper?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 6:59 PM

Interesting repurposing of 1) the gates (performance venue) and 2) the fill (lookout hill)...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 8:40 PM

It's funny seeing this, especially after I think it was MonctonRad saying on the riverview page that they should focus on tourism and then seeing the "village" which looks like a tourist stop.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 11:02 PM

Found this video presentation.
It looks ambitious to say the least. If they can pull this off, it will be a spectacular addition.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...56640441114790

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodiacCanuck View Post
Found this video presentation.
It looks ambitious to say the least. If they can pull this off, it will be a spectacular addition.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...56640441114790
Nice video. I've looked at the river from Google Earth many times but it never sunk in how bad the "kink" is where the gates are right now... when I saw the proposal I was wondering why they were diverting the river to preserve the gates... until I realized the proposal RESTORES the path, getting rid of the "kink". Nicely done.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is an interesting concept overall, but I wonder how much of this is just a "wish list" of the Riverkeepers, and if any of this is included in the overall anticipated cost of the causeway replacement.

I support the general concept, but I wonder about the boat launch on the Riverview side of the causeway. It's hard to imagine too many people wanting to launch their watercraft into a fairly shallow and muddy river with such variable water levels. If they put this boat launch in, the tri-communities will likely have to at least treble their water rescue budgets......

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 9:37 AM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This is an interesting concept overall, but I wonder how much of this is just a "wish list" of the Riverkeepers, and if any of this is included in the overall anticipated cost of the causeway replacement.

I support the general concept, but I wonder about the boat launch on the Riverview side of the causeway. It's hard to imagine too many people wanting to launch their watercraft into a fairly shallow and muddy river with such variable water levels. If they put this boat launch in, the tri-communities will likely have to at least treble their water rescue budgets......
My father used to waterski there when he was young before the causeway, he has pictures of the river when the water was clear. It was very popular in the 60's apparently until the causeway was built. It could get back to that again over time. Also pictures of people swimming in there also. I can't even imagine this.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 10:25 AM

I believe you'll see boats in the river if they build the launch. What I'm confused about is the fill and keeping the gates there. IMO, I would remove the gates completely. First, they are an eyesore and second, they are a reminder of one of the worst decisions over made in Metro history....the construction for causeway in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 12:00 PM

A couple of points of clarification:
- This is very much a wish list. There is no funding for any of this and this organization has no money.
- The river was never clear.
I wish them the best of luck. It looks awesome. At least someone is showing imagination even if it's just dreaming at this point.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
What I'm confused about is the fill and keeping the gates there. IMO, I would remove the gates completely. First, they are an eyesore and second, they are a reminder of one of the worst decisions over made in Metro history....the construction for causeway in the first place.
Maybe not having to remove them will reduce the cost of the project.
It may create a (minor) tourist attraction.
Since this is an environmentally driven project, it could be a nice symbol of reuse/recycle.
Repurpose the "worst decision" as a positive meeting area for celebrations while keeping it as a monumental reminder to not make the same mistake again etc etc.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 12:29 PM

Humanity Project given deadline to buy headquarters or move out

Unless the Humanity Project can buy the former MCA Curling Club (on Lutz Street) that it is now using as it's headquarters by Oct 31, the Moncton-based charity will be asked to move out. They have been using the building rent-free for the past few months.

The Moncton Curling Club needs the funds from the sale of the building to expand their 80 Lockhart Ave location.

The Humanity Project made a request in July for the City to purchase the building during a public meeting, but no official proposal has been submitted. "The city cannot deny a proposal it has not yet received." said Isabelle LeBlanc, Director of Communications for the City of Moncton

Summary from the Times & Transcript

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Unless the Humanity Project can buy the former MCA Curling Club (on Lutz Street) that it is now using as it's headquarters by Oct 31, the Moncton-based charity will be asked to move out. They have been using the building rent-free for the past few months.

The Moncton Curling Club needs the funds from the sale of the building to expand their 80 Lockhart Ave location.

The Humanity Project made a request in July for the City to purchase the building during a public meeting, but no official proposal has been submitted. "The city cannot deny a proposal it has not yet received." said Isabelle LeBlanc, Director of Communications for the City of Moncton

Summary from the Times & Transcript
Myself and a few others in the neighborhood are hoping the Humanity Project exits. It's not the place for this type of organization.

I have absolutely no arguments on the work or support they do for the unfortunate, however, having this type of project right in the middle of a residential area has fumed a few of us. The project is doing great things for those who need it, but it is also attracting the undesirables to the neighborhood who are not respecting property owners.

Trash being left behind on the street, property damage from steeling hanging planters, cutting flowers, stealing from vehicles, and the list goes on.

I've been force to upgrade my security lighting around the house and installing security cameras.

Some homeless folks even began to camp from the large empty parking lot facing Mt Rd.

Am I being a NIMBY? Maybe.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:02 PM

To change directions... what's up with the rash of armed robberies in Moncton lately?
Friend of mine was one of the clerks who had a weapon pointed at them recently.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
To change directions... what's up with the rash of armed robberies in Moncton lately?
Friend of mine was one of the clerks who had a weapon pointed at them recently.
Maybe it's all the same person committing the crimes. I feel bad for the people that this is happening too and hope the companies involved support them anyway they can. I don't know what kind of deterrent would help stop this but it can't come soon enough.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:24 PM

One of them has been caught. Hopefully he'll flip on his associates and they were the ones behind the robberies in general.

one of the clerks held up has quit her job after the incident.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Myself and a few others in the neighborhood are hoping the Humanity Project exits. It's not the place for this type of organization.

I have absolutely no arguments on the work or support they do for the unfortunate, however, having this type of project right in the middle of a residential area has fumed a few of us. The project is doing great things for those who need it, but it is also attracting the undesirables to the neighborhood who are not respecting property owners.

Trash being left behind on the street, property damage from steeling hanging planters, cutting flowers, stealing from vehicles, and the list goes on.

I've been force to upgrade my security lighting around the house and installing security cameras.

Some homeless folks even began to camp from the large empty parking lot facing Mt Rd.

I'm not normally that type of person (NIMBY) but for certain things I think it should be said, especially projects that round up the homeless to one area, and turns that area into a dumping ground. I lived on Lutz street, and despite how people viewed the area it was not that bad, and my buddy whom I lived with still lives on the same property, and has had to add several security cameras, and extra lighting, and also has had to fix his fence a few times, replant flowers, and even clean up cigarette butts off the grounds since the Humanity Project has moved in. Before then the only thing we had to do was normal yearly fixes. They have an apartment they have not been able to rent since either, and it was rented 97-100% of the time Before hand. I'm not saying it's the Humanity Project, or the people they are helping causing property damage but it's been happening since they have moved to the MCA building. So I also hope they move out, and the area can go back to some sort of normal.

I was looking around, and a lot of cities have started programs to get homeless people off the streets but none of the projects I've found used buildings within the residential areas(Probably do to the fact that they know what would happen), and in fact most moved there homeless to temporary housing within industrial parks. Maybe the city, and the Humanity project could come up with a similar solution before residents start looking at the Humanity project as the cause of all the damage left behind.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post

Though they may have social merit, these places definitely have a negative impact that spreads out to neighbouring streets. I'm in the vicinity of Harvest House and I see the same effect. Dominion, Dufferin, Park and High are sad. Frustrating to try to maintain or improve your property, knowing it's a waste of money. I'm holding off on security cameras because I don't want to make it feel even more like a ghetto. Having the Harvest House and other similar institutions moved away from the city centre would have a positive impact to the St George area a million times greater than those gigantic out-of-place lime-green planters.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:36 PM

Delete

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
One of them has been caught. Hopefully he'll flip on his associates and they were the ones behind the robberies in general.

one of the clerks held up has quit her job after the incident.
They caught another one.

Also like to point out the Food Bank's attempts to get a commercial kitchen for there use is to turn leftovers that would have been seen as garbage turned into things that can be used. NBCC Moncton students turned 200 Lbs of Tomatoes into 120 bags of tomato sauce. They hope to do the same with all leftovers (Not just tomato sauce) But I do see the positive side of this. Now hopefully staff does not take all the food leaving almost nothing for people in need.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces