HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 1:21 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonguy19 View Post
Notice how much parking and empty lots in downtown!
Let's take it on the positive side, more space for future projects!
Awesome shots!

Ya but all those "empty lots" are jammed full with cars during business hours...we are finally getting to the point of needing parking garages...pretty much any major new developments will require parking garages...which will in turn create density themselves! (Think of the Marriott for example).

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:21 AM
I have no Title

Killam Drive Roundabout

Not sure if anyone posted this or not, but here is the rendering of the roundabout on killam drive.

http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Residen...t_Killam_1.jpg

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 5:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A five point roundabout!!! Oh, the horrors!!

Just kidding.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 8:25 PM

Any news on this? I expected construction to begin this summer.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Is it going to be one lane or two?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Is it going to be one lane or two?
I think the jury is still out on this, but I hope it is only a single lane roundabout. A double lane roundabout just adds to the uncertainty and confusion!

As for when this is going to happen, I believe that council has committed funding for a major engineering study and I think construction may happen next year.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:11 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Maybe they can speed things up with one of these

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I think the jury is still out on this, but I hope it is only a single lane roundabout. A double lane roundabout just adds to the uncertainty and confusion!

As for when this is going to happen, I believe that council has committed funding for a major engineering study and I think construction may happen next year.
I vote three lanes. Add in a distracting water view and you can name it Armdale Jr.

But seriously the best roundabout I've ever used is on Larry Uteck in Halifax. It has 4-approaches all at right angles and the two lane system works flawlessly. Here's and Google Maps view of it

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 12:17 AM

Why are people so opposed to roundabouts? I'm honestly curious as to what the problem is. Fear of the unknown? Genuine bottlenecks? Or just people complaining that they'll have to actually slow down and pay attention for a few seconds (the type who still text while driving)?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...t-moncton.html

Quote:
“All coming into the same traffic circle, I think you'll just have mass confusion and they may as well build the new police station in the middle because they'll be here everyday,” said Theresa Mullin.

The city already built a roundabout in the north end at Ryan Road.

“Well it's just a pain in the ass is what it is,” said driver Keith Chappell. He said stop signs are safer and cheaper.
What's so hard to understand about yielding to traffic that's already in the circle? Not sure of what to do? Read and follow the signs.

I admit that I don't live in either area, so I won't be driving through, but I've biked through the Ryan roundabout a few times, and I don't see what the fuss is.

We have the world's biggest donut at Wheeler/Main with some traffic moving at 70-75 km/h (even if the posted limit is 60) with double and triple lanes. Traffic approaching Wheeler moves at 100 km/h, so what's dangerous about urban traffic approaching at 50 km/h into one single lane?

Maybe I'll just answer my own question and say that there are a lot of dumb drivers. I drive through the roundabout at Gould/Notre-Dame on a regular basis and fail to understand why they had to add stop signs, and why I sometimes see people driving the wrong way (or across the raised centre) to make a left turn.

Re-educate and re-test everyone every 3-5 years.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 12:31 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I've never understood the opposition to them either. I use the traffic circle in Dieppe every single day, and I used to use the causeway circle several times a week when I worked in Riverview.

The city has had them for decades now. Are there really that many people who can't handle driving in a circle? God forbid you actually pay attention to what you're driving in to.

The biggest problem I used to see routinely was the way people let traffic merge at the causeway. It seems like the polite thing to do to alternate back and forth between Main and Wheeler traffic, but all it serves to do is turn Wheeler into a parking lot for a half hour every day. If you're not in the circle, yield to whoever is until you have an opening. It's no different than not stopping in the middle of an intersection when you get a red light.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:18 PM

I follow the mayor on Twitter and he posted this.
http://v.wheels.ca/services/player/b...=1776229448001

He also wanted to know what people thought of roundabouts. I answered back, I love them. Problem is, people don't know how to use them. He acknowledged my response.

Jim Kenzie in the above video makes perfect sense while Norris McDonald is an uneducated poor sole. How he became an editor for Wheels is beyond me with the statement he makes in the video.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 7:34 PM

I live on waverley 3 blocks from killam and i dont want to see the terrible mess this is gonna mae

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 7:37 PM
ハルウララ

A lot of people just think Roundabouts are dangerous and scary for whatever reason. Whether it's a small-town mentality or fear of not being controlled by lights or what, they just don't like them.

I don't mind single or double lane roundabouts but the five entrances is kind of iffy for its size.

Oromocto has great roundabouts, for what it's worth.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 2:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a megaproject that's been flying under the radar of the forums (and most city residents)

New dam progressing well
Friday, September 14, 2012
Times & Transcript
By: Alan Cochrane

$43M project to construct dam, second reservoir at Turtle Creek expected to be completed next year

A $43-million project to build a second dam and reservoir, which will double the size of Moncton's Turtle Creek water system, has been progressing well this summer but it will still be another year before construction is completed.

'It's been a great summer for construction. We didn't miss too many days because of weather,' construction manager Bruce Buchanan said during a tour of the Tower Road Dam and Reservoir Project yesterday. Construction is on schedule and moving quickly as a constant parade of huge dump trucks hauls thick soil to the top of the dam. There's also a constant stream of cement trucks bringing load after load of concrete to be poured into the large spillway.

Overall, the project is 40 per cent complete with completion of construction expected next fall.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=9824

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 1:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonguy19 View Post
So yesterday I had the chance to fly around the city so I took few pics!

Downtown

Future land for the arena

Power Center

Notice how much parking and empty lots in downtown!
Let's take it on the positive side, more space for future projects!
I don't usually quote pictures but these were on the previous page so I don't mind.

Great shots! Argh, I wish I could get someone to take me up in a small plane here.

BTW - Hub City Vandals, they're a Moncton thing, right? I noticed their graffiti here in St. John's.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 1:21 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Metro Moncton Mayors Propose Federal Riding Changes
from CBC

Mayors in Moncton, Riverview and Dieppe spoke out on Thursday against a plan to split up the neighbouring municipalities into three different federal ridings.

A riding redistribution commission is touring New Brunswick, seeking input on its proposal to redraw the boundaries of the province’s 10 federal ridings.

The greater Moncton region’s population has grown so much since the last time the boundaries were set that the commission has suggested splitting up the municipalities.

The plan would have Dieppe moved into the existing riding of Beauséjour. The proposed Beauséjour-Dieppe riding would have 92,072 people, which would make it the largest riding in the province.

Meanwhile, Moncton and Riverview would become a single urban riding with 80,825 people, which would make it the third largest riding in the province.

There would still be a portion of Riverview that would rest in the Fundy-Quispamsis riding, which would make it the fourth largest riding in New Brunswick.

There are 115,000 people living in the existing federal riding of Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe, which is well above the limit set out in federal law.

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc said the three communities share so many services that it does not make sense to split them up in the new riding map.

“The Greater Moncton International Airport is in Dieppe and the Moncton Golf Club is in Riverview,” LeBlanc said.

New Brunswick's shifting demographics have made it difficult for the federal commissioners to carve up the province into 10 ridings that adhere to the population guidelines.

Justice Alexandre Deschênes, Patrick Malcolmson and Justice Thomas Riordon, must get every riding to roughly 75,000, but are allowed a variance of plus or minus 25 per cent.

The three commissioners must also balance all of the competing demands in their final report, which federal politicians, by law, cannot change.

Adding one area to a riding, means the commissioners are removing that area from a neighbouring riding.

Riverview Mayor Ann Seamans said she wants her town to stay in the urban riding.

“Many of our residents work in businesses situated in Moncton-Riverview and provide banking and financial transactions in Moncton-Riverview,” she said.

Seamans said some Riverview residents must spent almost 90 minutes to the constituency office of Conservative MP Rob Moore.

“To my knowledge, Riverview is the only community in New Brunswick that is divided in such a way,” Seamans said.

The Moncton mayor is putting forward a proposal to create two urban ridings in the Moncton area.

Siemans and Dieppe Mayor Yvon LaPierre are both backing that plan.

“I presented 10 years ago and opposed it because at the time we had so much going together but, you know, in 10 years our population has almost doubled,” he said.

Personal note - The proposal by Mayor LeBlanc seems quite sound to me. The federal electoral commission needs to take into consideration "communities of interest" in addition to population distribution when coming up with new electoral boundaries. In particular, I think it is absolutely preposterous that about 1/3 of Riverview is included in Fundy/Quispamsis. Riverview is a suburb of Moncton, not Saint John!

I could see two federal ridings encompassing the greater metropolitan area. Something like Moncton East/Dieppe/Memramcook and Moncton West/Riverview/Salisbury would work quite nicely.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 2:20 PM

It works both ways, I've always found it odd that Quispamsis is included with Sussex and Riverview, whereas Rothesay (which is virtually indistinguishable from Quispam), is included with Saint John. I'd like to see the SJ riding include all of KV, and in exchange give up some fringe rural areas to both Fundy and NB Southwest. That way there would be room to reorganize the eastern portion of Fundy to perhaps include more of Riverview and make it more of a Moncton-centric riding.

Just an idea.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 2:40 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I like that idea.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 3:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yes, It's probably time to retire the old riding of Fundy Royal and give it's western half to Saint John and it's eastern half to Moncton.

The western suburbs of Saint John could then be included with Charlotte County. On our side, Riverview would be incorporated with Moncton West. Moncton East could include Dieppe, Memramcook and probably Sackville. The riding of Beausejour could probably still exist but extend from Cape Tormentine, through Shediac all the way up the Acadian shore to Miramichi.

Communities of interest should not be ignored.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 12:09 AM
Our Tide is Rising

5 Canadian Cities win Google eTown Award

Moncton, Dorval, Parry Sound, Canmore and Duncan are among Canada's leading towns embracing the digital economy

TORONTO, Sept. 25, 2012 /CNW/ - "To highlight this vital economic activity, Google looked at thousands of cities and towns across Canada to identify one town in each of five regions that demonstrated strong engagement and potential for growth in the digital economy."

Full Article: http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1041...le-etown-award

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces