HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Great idea! Take a train. Go for it!!
If only! It would improve LAX so much if they had a rail shuttle with multiple stops around the terminal ring and connected with the light rail line the way the one at SFO connects with BART.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 12:44 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
New Look at the LAX People Mover Set to Be Finished in 2023

By Bianca Barragan
November 19, 2015

The mega-overhaul of LAX's nightmare transportation situation, set to dramatically change the way we come and go from the airport, was outlined last year, with plans for a consolidated rental car center, a people mover train that would connect travelers with the rental car center as well as the Crenshaw Line light rail, and new pick-up and drop-off areas. The Landside Access Modernization Program has now started its environmental review process (due to be complete by late 2016) and the pricetag's gone up to $5 billion (from $4 billion last year), but the whole program is going strong in the direction of actually becoming a timely reality, perhaps even opening in time for a theoretical 2024 Olympics, according to a new release from Los Angeles World Airports, which operates LAX.

A presentation given today to the LAWA Board of Airport Commissioners today offered some updated renderings of the Automated People Mover, which will have six stations along its 2.25-mile route connecting it to light rail, the rental car center, and pick-up/drop-off areas. Construction is expected to start in 2017 and be finished in 2023; Mayor Eric Garcetti has "tasked" LAWA with delivering a completed LAMP "no later than 2023."

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/1..._plan.php#more

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Glad to read about the progress, see the terrific plans, etc but the timelines on infrastructure in US - especially seemingly no brainers like this one - are so irritating. Yes. We all agre. Build the fucking thing.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Glad to read about the progress, see the terrific plans, etc but the timelines on infrastructure in US - especially seemingly no brainers like this one - are so irritating. Yes. We all agre. Build the fucking thing.
Me, too. I'm glad to hear that. I am pretty sure they will start construction soon. It will take a time to build a new trains, new midfield satellite concourse, and etc. Does LAX will reduce the traffic congestion? Because of the traffic? It was too many traffic. It's very bad out there.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 5:48 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Personally, I'm most pleased with the way they rethought the pedestrian bridges. Now it looks like all terminals will be fairly accessible for riders, including the prospective "Terminal 0."

Before:

After:

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 6:15 AM

Yeah, I think putting the walkways before the station was smart for spacing and accessibility too.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 5:45 PM

I'm glad they are finally addressing the horrendous ground transportation issues at LAX, but 2023? (and then after the inevitable delays... 2024? 2025?) That is crazy slow.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 6:00 PM

Are there any plans to install moving walkways inside the terminals themselves?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
Yeah, I think putting the walkways before the station was smart for spacing and accessibility too.
is there a difference ?
also when does new Metro Station open....

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Are there any plans to install moving walkways inside the terminals themselves?
Well, yes. They will installs moving walkways near the entire terminals.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 6:04 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
is there a difference ?
Yes, look closely. Under the old plan, Terminals 7-8 and the prospective "Terminal 0" would've been inadequately served.

East Station -- Terminals 1, 7, 8
Center Station -- Terminals 2, 6
West Station -- Terminals 3, 4, 5; TBIT

Getting to Terminal 6 will require the longest walk, but at least one will get a nice view of the iconic Theme Building.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 6:14 AM

Quote:
is there a difference ?
Serves the eastern terminals better while serving the other terminals equally well as before.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, look closely. Under the old plan, Terminals 7-8 and the prospective "Terminal 0" would've been inadequately served.

Getting to Terminal 6 will require the longest walk, but at least one will get a nice view of the iconic Theme Building.
Something that is far from my mind when I'm carrying luggage and a laptop.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Something that is far from my mind when I'm carrying luggage and a laptop.
Yes, if they have Early Check-In at the Rental Car Center. You don't have take a luggage to the terminals. You can go straight to TSA checkpoints.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 5:08 PM

If it were up to me. There wouldn't be any more parking in the center ring/loop. Completely gut it like a fish. Only two things I would leave standing is the Control tower and theme building.

If I had my way I would create a new central terminal that connected to all the other terminals where Security checks and other things take place so that when people get to their actual terminals, its less of a hassle. I would disconnect the terminal levels for departure from the upper deck loop to push everyone into the central terminal first. This way people wont be standing outside for hours waiting to get checked in, instead they have a central weather controlled terminal to check into first.

There still needs to be a lot done to keep people from wanting to drive into the Loop unless they absolutely have to.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 6:24 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_Building
will this be renovated as a station or something?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2015, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, if they have Early Check-In at the Rental Car Center. You don't have take a luggage to the terminals. You can go straight to TSA checkpoints.
If you have a carry-on bag and a laptop, you still have to schlep from the security check-in all the way to your gate, which in parts of LAX can be quite a schlep. Why on earth they won't install moving walkways like they have at SFO and most modern airports is beyond me.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 1:24 AM

Quote:
is there a difference ?
Crenshaw line will open in 2019. But the 96th street station and APM will not be open until 2023.

Quote:

Not sure if you are referring to the old layout or the new layout... Terminal 5 will have the long walk under the new layout. Terminal 6 is directly across Terminal 2 and is about equal distance from the center station.

Terminal 5 is in between center and west station so it will have the long walk. However, Delta is now in talk with LAWA about moving to renovated Terminal 3 and AA will likely takeover Terminal 5. If that happens, most likely AA will operate Terminal 4 and 5 like UA operates Terminal 7 and 8... So most likely, you will head to Terminal 4 to check in even if your flight leaves from gate 5#. Just like you will head to Terminal 4 to check in for all the AA flights that will be leaving from TBIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
If it were up to me. There wouldn't be any more parking in the center ring/loop. Completely gut it like a fish. Only two things I would leave standing is the Control tower and theme building.

If I had my way I would create a new central terminal that connected to all the other terminals where Security checks and other things take place so that when people get to their actual terminals, its less of a hassle. I would disconnect the terminal levels for departure from the upper deck loop to push everyone into the central terminal first. This way people wont be standing outside for hours waiting to get checked in, instead they have a central weather controlled terminal to check into first.

There still needs to be a lot done to keep people from wanting to drive into the Loop unless they absolutely have to.
The central terminal check in facility (which will function just like TBIT check in hall) is in LAX long term plan but not part of the APM and ITF construction. LAWA wants to build the off-site garage and drop off area first then tear down the parking garage in the central terminal area.

Last edited by bzcat; Nov 24, 2015 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Terminal 5 is in between center and west station so it will have the long walk. However, Delta is now in talk with LAWA about moving to renovated Terminal 3 and AA will likely takeover Terminal 5. If that happens, most likely AA will operate Terminal 4 and 5 like UA operates Terminal 7 and 8... So most likely, you will head to Terminal 4 to check in even if your flight leaves from gate 5#. Just like you will head to Terminal 4 to check in for all the AA flights that will be leaving from TBIT.
Where did you hear this? You read from a.net? I don't doubt about that. Is Delta will move to terminal 3? How it did happen? What about Virgin America? Is still at terminal 3? They don't have enough space. Don't they have any idea? Who will be at terminal 5 or 6?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Where did you hear this? You read from a.net? I don't doubt about that. Is Delta will move to terminal 3? How it did happen? What about Virgin America? Is still at terminal 3? They don't have enough space. Don't they have any idea? Who will be at terminal 5 or 6?
A.net is pretty reliable source for this kind of stuff. There are several LAWA insiders and people working for the airlines at LAX operations

The info so far just says Delta has agreed in principal to vacate T5 after T3 is rebuilt, and AA will trade T6 and Eagle gates for T5. That puts the timing of the move sometime after 2022 because LAWA won't begin T3 renovation until the TBIT Mid Field North Concourse is done.

So to answer your question... this is just my own speculations:

1. TBIT MFC North construction begin in 2016.
2. Existing T3 tenants will move to TBIT MFC North around 2019~2020 when it opens.
3. T3 tear down begin in 2020.
4. T3 and connector to T2 and TBIT construction should be done by 2022.
5. Delta will begin to move to new T3 by summer 2022.
6. AA will vacate T6 around the same time and move to consolidate T4, T5, and TBIT.
7. APM opens in 2023.
8. TBIT MFC South construction will begin in 2023?
9. CTA garage tear down in 2024?
10. CTA check in hall construction in 2025? And opens in ???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation