HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 11:46 AM

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 12:01 PM

Still there--at least as recently as the last pass of the Google Street View truck.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz01 View Post
Actually this location is on 6th Street between Broadway and Hill facing the south side of the street. Its a block Northeast of St. Vincents Court. And the Los Angeles Theater sign is still there.
I was about to say, as double wires for a trolley bus overhead can be seen, and I know that no trolley buses ever ran on Hill St (only trolley cars which use a single overhead wire). There was a trolley bus line on 6th st (which ran on 5th st westbound, as those two streets were converted to one-way operation in 1947), which caused the old 3 streetcar line to be converted to trolley bus.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 12:16 AM

I have no info on this photo...
I have many photos from this era, but I am concerned that some may have been posted before. I'll try to stick with the more obscure ones, but on some blogs they tear your head off for reposting a photo, even though there may be hundreds of pages of posts before your join up...
I guess you'll let me know real fast if that's the case here.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 12:27 AM

OK..I did a search under "Ike" and "Pan Pacific" and came up with nothing so.....here tis...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 12:36 AM

My grandparents house on 77th St. in about 1934

and a photo I took in the 1980's of the house. My grandparents had moved to an Arcadia chicken ranch before WWII

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMadre View Post
I have many photos from this era, but I am concerned that some may have been posted before. I'll try to stick with the more obscure ones, but on some blogs they tear your head off for reposting a photo, even though there may be hundreds of pages of posts before your join up...

THROW HIM TO THE LIONS!

Well, I've seen everything posted here from the beginning--which doesn't mean your picture hasn't been posted before--but I'm pretty sure I've never seen it, SM. And I know I've posted a few pics that have been posted before, and I may very well even have posted my some of my own pics more than once! Who can remember all of them, really. Besides, every image here bears repeating.

Aside from all that-- I wondered about the TAIX sign below City Hall--I know there was a Taix French Bread Company in LA at one time--but it turns out that there was the Taix French Restaurant (same family as the bread company) at 321 Commercial Street, "two blocks east of post office." I'm surprised not to find it listed on latimemachines.com old-restaurant/bar list, though.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 12:44 AM

GW, you have a good eye. I hadn't seen that.
I'd like to know, in that photo of CH what direction the camera is facing. That might lead to a clue of the construction site behind the truck...any ideas?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 1:01 AM

And... couldn't help myself--had to see if your grandparents' house was still there--

I was fascinated to find, right around the corner, a street feature I've never seen before--Circle Park at the intersection of W 76th St and S Gramercy--

Also--that's a view of city hall from the northeast... I thought of the Union Station site, but the vehicles are too new for that.

All pics above Google Street View

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 1:25 AM

good grief...you did that without an address...I'm impressed! Doug

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 1:36 AM

I'm a stalker. Actually, I could make out "29" or "20" something on the facade, and checking the various possibilities along 77th st--there it was. They're not even my grandparents, but it makes me feel good that their house is still well-kept.

Which can't be said for a branch library 12-13 miles to the northeast:

LAPL
The charming 1926 Richard Henry Dana Branch of the LAPL at Pepper and Romulo in Cypress Park--now replaced by a
bigger library at Cypress and Alice--still stands, if vacant and worse for wear.

historichighlandpark.blogspot.com

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 1:51 AM

Pasadena pilgrimage

I made my pilgrimage to Pasadena this morning to visit the old Bullock's building.

I, of course, wanted to see the old Boy's department the most, to see the map mural on the ceiling. Here's sopas_ej's photo from his earlier post.

sopas_ej

The red arrow I added at lower right points to a little plush lamb that I bought today as a souvenir. If you look closely in my picture below, you can see that the lamb and the legs of the pink bear to the left of it had barely moved in the last 8 days since sopas took his photo. When I spotted it in the earlier pic, I had actually decided to buy that lamb if it was still there when I visited, and it was! (I collect stuffed animals - not sure if I've mentioned that before.)

The opposite side of the map mural.

The artist who designed and painted the mural was Robert Majors. I bet he painted it lying on his back like Michelangelo did the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

Next to the kiddie department was a barber shop. I had my own hair cut there many times as a kid. The original barber chairs are still there, and even in their original colors!

Close-up of the Bullock's custom-designed barber chair.

Here are the elevators that fascinated me as a toddler.

Everything about the elevators was original, except the brass plates with the up/down buttons. The replacements added Braille, but the brass buttons still looked the same.

Took some nice pics of the staircase in the Haggarty's building across from Bullock's/Macy's, too. I also went to the old Robinson's Pasadena building, but nothing whatsoever remains of the original interior, other than the support pillars. Inside, it looks like any other Target store you'd see anywhere.

I might just go back to Bullock's again before I return up north. It was really fun. Looking around the place, I probably muttered "Wow!" to myself about three dozen times during the hour I spent there. ^^

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Dec 25, 2017 at 9:48 AM. Reason: Repaired broken image links

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 2:17 AM

Nice going, Scott. I'm please to see that the barber's shop still looks like it's open for business.
In the 1960's, Bullocks was THE place for businessmen to get their clothes.
And the neck-tie department was legendary.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 4:23 AM

Quote:
GW, you have a good eye. I hadn't seen that.
I'd like to know, in that photo of CH what direction the camera is facing. That might lead to a clue of the construction site behind the truck...any ideas?
I'm reasonably certain the photo shows site preparation either for Union Station, or for the 101 freeway. In any case, the area is definitely east and north of the Civic Center; so we're facing roughly southwest here. Hope this helps!

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 9:38 AM

A Drive Through Bunker Hill and Downtown Los Angeles, ca. 1940s

Hi guys!
I found the next following video on you tube.
It's like a trip on the time machine: every building, every hotel, every street you all have seen on this thread appears on that video just as it was back in the 40's... It cought my eye 2nd street, Grand Avenue (do not miss the Mutual Garage, and the victorian residences, where now stands the Wells Fargo Plaza Towers and the California Plaza Towers), and you'll drive through west 5th Street, and you'll see the Public Library ... as it was in the 40's... and to north Flower Street... Great found!
This a magnificent voyage to the past of Downtown Los Angeles: even the great Richfield Tower is still there! I just love it! Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-I2k...eature=related" target="_blank">Video Link

Last edited by Sebisebster; Sep 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:

SM, (my well known penchant for using acronyms). we have all posted images that have been previously posted. but as GW indicated, there isn't a single photograph in this forum that doesn't warrant being posted again. so no worry's mate, keep posting without giving a second thought as to whether or not it's been posted previously. your recent contributions are all fabulous!

the photograph is looking south west across what was once calle de los negros. the infamous chinatown street that fronted los angeles street.

the photograph you posted is an image from life magazine in 1949.

here's a larger shot of the photograph

Source: Life Magazine

somewhere on the web, i had read a discription of this noirish los angeles thread, stating that it was like driving around with an excited friend who keeps pointing his finger out of the car exclaiming....look at that.....and look over there at that, and omg, look at that!

hop on in SM! glad you're along for the ride!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 12:32 PM

the photo was from a 1949 Life Magazine....
OK, now I'm wondering what could possibly be the subject of the article.
"Beautiful Beer Trucks", no, that can't be it...any ideas?

Last edited by SierraMadre; Sep 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 1:46 PM

Union Station mishap

I have no idea where these photos came from

Last edited by SierraMadre; Oct 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 1:53 PM

this photo was taken by one of my photography mentors, the late J. Allen Hawkins, a Pasadena based photographer.
This is a midget car race held in the Pasadena Rose Bowl.
Auto races also were held in the Los Angeles Colisium as has been posted here, no doubt....
This photo wouldn't all that interesting except for the location being one that is never associated with motorsports to most people.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 7:10 PM

Thanks gsjansen...for another photo of 116 South Hope Street...I mentioned before that my mother was living there in 1934 when I was born. At that time it was called the Brandon House sponsored by the Volunteers of America.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos