HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 1:19 AM

The Canopy Walk in the Botanical Garden sounds great! Lots of cities have great botanical gardens that are free to the public; it's the kind of thing that the city or counties would have to support, but it's also the kind of (relatively little) thing that makes cities special. Some strategic "free-stuff-to-do" on the city's part would do a lot to create the kind of environment I think a lot of us crave. Like Stone Mountain, there's something about paying to get in that makes it seem like an "attraction" rather than something really integral to the city.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Like Stone Mountain, there's something about paying to get in that makes it seem like an "attraction" rather than something really integral to the city.
Yeah, it was eight bucks, too!

I remember the day when you could just go on out there and it didn't cost you a dime.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:39 AM
Reliable Source

I can understand why Atlanta Botanical Garden, which is basically a private organization, can charge admission...but Stone Mountain? C'mon, that's supposed to be a state park! It should be free to enter.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 6:03 AM

I, too, understand why they charge. My point is that it would be nice if the City of Atlanta could create a scenario in which it was free to metro residents (yearly budget contribution/subsidized utilities, etc.). Lots of really world-class botanical gardens are free to the public and it's a shame that you pay to go to this one. Because I travel a lot, I can get my free "botanical garden fix" in lots of places, but for a lot of Atlantans, this is the only real chance they have to be in a nice garden (although someone posted a picture of a Japanese garden at the Carter Center I didn't know about...is that free?).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 9:10 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
I, too, understand why they charge. My point is that it would be nice if the City of Atlanta could create a scenario in which it was free to metro residents (yearly budget contribution/subsidized utilities, etc.). Lots of really world-class botanical gardens are free to the public and it's a shame that you pay to go to this one. Because I travel a lot, I can get my free "botanical garden fix" in lots of places, but for a lot of Atlantans, this is the only real chance they have to be in a nice garden (although someone posted a picture of a Japanese garden at the Carter Center I didn't know about...is that free?).
Yes, all of the gardens surrounding the Carter Center are free...it's part of Freedom Park...

The Rosalyn Carter Rose Garden

The Japanese Garden, designed by master gardener Kinsaku Nakane. The garden imitates a landscape of deep mountains and secluded valleys. The two waterfalls that are at the core of the design represent the president and his wife. The two stone lanterns placed in the heart of the garden symbolize the hope implict in the Carter Center.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 9:50 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Nice nighttime shots of the gazebo at Piedmont Park

Piedmont Dog Park

Grant Park

Grant Park resident

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Yes, all of the gardens surrounding the Carter Center are free...it's part of Freedom Park...
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post

Grant Park resident
Is that the hawk that escaped from the zoo show? I kept seeing him around the convenience store on Boulevard. I hear he got tired of eating stringy pigeons though and finally went back.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post
Is that the hawk that escaped from the zoo show? I kept seeing him around the convenience store on Boulevard. I hear he got tired of eating stringy pigeons though and finally went back.
Could be a she, given her larger size. (Just thought I'd throw that in).

Re Freedom Park, I was over there Sunday with my grandchildren and we walked about 6 miles. It's wonderful. Every step I take makes me so glad they didn't turn it into another concrete auto canyon.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:55 PM

there's always a hawk at Piedmont Park. Is he(she?) different?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
there's always a hawk at Piedmont Park. Is he(she?) different?
There's a bunch of them all over the city. We've got one who lives in the woods behind my house. Or if you play golf at some place like Bobby Jones or Tup Holmes you'll always see them zooming around.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 3:44 PM

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
I can understand why Atlanta Botanical Garden, which is basically a private organization, can charge admission...but Stone Mountain? C'mon, that's supposed to be a state park! It should be free to enter.
Cloudland Canyon charge a fee, too.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:09 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart8588 View Post
Cloudland Canyon charge a fee, too.
Cloudland Canyon is a Georgia State Park...they each charge a $3 "parking fee" that helps cover parks maintenance.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
This is the 5th street bridge and was completed last year. It connects the GA Tech campus with Midtown and GREATLY improved the pedestrian experience crossing the freeway.
i think the intention was good but the view is severly obsured. you can no longer see the highway (debatable whether one wants to see it or not) as one walks across and the grand "city view" is lost, if that makes any sense. it's also very concrete without any impressive characteristics that would make a pedestrian stop and appreciate the bridge. and while there are patches of lawn, it's not a place where you'd want to bring a beach towel, lay down and read a book on a nice day (you'd get lung cancer by the time you finished chapter 1). ga tech fans now tailgate there on gamedays but seriously, the air is just disgusting.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkix View Post
i think the intention was good but the view is severly obsured. you can no longer see the highway (debatable whether one wants to see it or not) as one walks across and the grand "city view" is lost, if that makes any sense. it's also very concrete without any impressive characteristics that would make a pedestrian stop and appreciate the bridge. and while there are patches of lawn, it's not a place where you'd want to bring a beach towel, lay down and read a book on a nice day (you'd get lung cancer by the time you finished chapter 1). ga tech fans now tailgate there on gamedays but seriously, the air is just disgusting.
although it's not a true park space - i don't think anyone expected the 5th street bridge to attract pedestrians to lay down a towel, catch some rays and pop out a cooler of sierra nevada. please, somebody help us if our goal in atlanta is to draw praise and recognition to interstate overpass projects.

on the other hand, the 5th street bridge is far and away better than any other downtown overpass in atlanta.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkix View Post
... it's also very concrete without any impressive characteristics that would make a pedestrian stop and appreciate the bridge.
I'd love it if we had some stone bridges around Atlanta, or more bridges with decorative concrete work or exposed steel. Even the rounded arch railroad bridges like the ones on Whitehall, Ponce, MLK and Stratford, Confederate and Edie, etc., offer much more visual interest. Bridges are major landmarks and they afford a wonderful opportunity for good urban design. Sadly, most of ours are terribly boring.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I'd love it if we had some stone bridges around Atlanta, or more bridges with decorative concrete work or exposed steel. Even the rounded arch railroad bridges like the ones on Whitehall, Ponce, MLK and Stratford, Confederate and Edie, etc., offer much more visual interest. Bridges are major landmarks and they afford a wonderful opportunity for good urban design. Sadly, most of ours are terribly boring.

adrea - is this your acquiescence on the existence of the connector?

stone bridges across the downtown connector bridges would be a nice diffrentiator - if they would invest in a design that was substantial and unique. although, in atlanta, it would be too easy to make a cheap replication of stone craftsmanship (like the nightmare on peachtree that took the place of planet hollywood).

i like your idea of recalling the past railroad history of atlanta. i think that would be really nice.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
adrea - is this your acquiescence on the existence of the connector?
Never, atl2phx! We probably won't see stone bridges on the connector until it is dismantled and converted to proper urban boulevards. But in the meantime I don't see why we couldn't devote a little more attention to the design of bridges on our other streets.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 5:28 PM
Reliable Source

We still have plenty of granite (almost infinite) in Georgia to build many things, including bridges and aquaducts. I don't know why people don't better utilize local granite and pine for building houses. The cost would be a little more, but would be quickly recaptured in longer lasting, more energy efficient structures.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta