HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 9:12 PM

Quote:
The area has added almost 26,000 residents since 2000, a jump of nearly 14 percent.
Not to be overly critical, but is 26k really that segnificant? I realize in % terms it is but that's really just a product of the city being small to begin with. We can surely find a city with 100% growth if it grew from 10 people to 20 people but is that really segnificant or important? Keep in mind that even a city in the "slow or no growth rust-belt" like Columbus, OH grew by 110,000.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 9:56 PM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
Not to be overly critical, but is 26k really that segnificant? I realize in % terms it is but that's really just a product of the city being small to begin with.
In terms of Northern Plains / Midwestern towns, I would say that it's significant. 26,000 is around the size of most Midwestern towns to begin with.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 11:52 PM

We are set up to have even more rapid growth with the donation of 400 million to sanford health (sioux valley) and its campus expansion which will bring in a higher wealth population needed to work in the health research area.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 10:13 PM

Is there anything going to be added to Old Sioux valley hospital with the new sanford health investment?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 12:57 AM

Sanford Health

Excuse the low quality but this is what all I could gather up to date
Quote:
The four-story Sanford Children's Hospital will have a clinic on its ground floor, plus 62 private rooms on its upper three floors. That will absorb the 47 current pediatrics beds in 37 rooms.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 3:51 AM

The idea for a 15-20 story building is mostly just talk at this point. All I've heard are rumors and winks.

The Sanford Health deal is the biggest news probably though. It was mentioned in earlier threads, but the donation is anticipated to lead to 9,200 primary sector jobs in the healthcare industry over the next 10 years. The construction for the expanded campus will be valued at hundreds of millions of dollars and create untold numbers of secondary jobs in the construction and service industries. Some people have speculated the city's growth rate may rise from the 2.5-3% being experienced now to 4-4.5%.

This type of deal, especially for a city the size of Sioux Falls, could be transformative. It may end up being one of the two or three landmark events in the economic history of the region. Only time will tell.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 3:51 PM

Wow that is Amazing!!! I was wondering how tall that dome thing is going to be?

And what it will be for?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 7:37 PM

What's With The Dome?

Quote:
Denny Sanford's $400-million dollar donation to the former Sioux Valley Hospital has four intentions: To invest in Children by creating new pediatric clinics, expand research and fund a specific project in the medical field. And it allows for a new approach to healthcare campus and facility design. But of all the questions raised about the initiatives, one stands out among all others.

Looking over the architect's rendering, it's probably the first thing you'll notice. And the last thing you'd expect, a dome? Over four--yep, four--separate buildings.

The presentation played during Saturday’s announcement revealed details of the plan. DVD: "Sanford Research's success will be further distinguished by working in cooperation with the National Institutes of Health in areas such as cardiology, oncology, nutrition, disabilities and women's health." It all sounds impressive. It looks even more so-- an immense glass dome towering above the Sioux Falls skyline. An icon, if you will, of all that is Sanford Health.

So, what's with the dome? Kelby Krabbenhoft, Sanford Health CEO laughs and says, "The dome. My idea so I'll get blamed for it, but surprise, surprise Kelby would come up with that." Krabbenhoft is quick to recognize the similarities to a proposal made three years ago in an effort to lure the Minnesota Vikings training camp to the city. He jokes, "My staff and those closest to me say that this harkens back to my need to want to cover Howard Wood. So this is a sickness. Maybe we can cure that."

All joking aside, Krabbenhoft says the proposed structure would actually serve a serious role in the recruitment of the scientific superstars needed for the Sanford Research Initiative. He says, "We can sell the idea of going to work, parking underground, never putting on a coat 12 months of the year."

He also sees the dome as building a name for a city often confused with Sioux City. Krabbenhoft explains, "I just don't want anyone to forget it. If they remember South Dakota, great. If they remember Sioux Falls, super. But if it takes a dome for them to remember this is a great place and that's where the best research is going on, let's get it done."

Will it be the Kelby dome? Krabbenhoft says, "No! There will be no naming of anything. My mother stuck that name on me and we'll stop there."

Krabbenhoft also jokes that when he retires, he'll be the guy who has to clean all the glass. As for just how large the dome would be, no one knows at this point, but the world's largest dome in Wales is nearly a square mile in diameter.
Quote:
The most striking feature of the Sanford campus plan is the dome. It will house an expanded research program called Sanford Research, now known as South Dakota Health Research Foundation. It also will house the Sanford Project, a targeted search for significant progress on a single disease, to be chosen in one or two years.

Kelby Krabbenhoft, president of Sanford Health, conceived the idea as an architectural accent to complement the bold research agenda. He said it also will serve as a citywide landmark, "something remarkable, something that would be noteworthy and jog people's memory.

"The other thing is when you recruit talent: you're going to work through the winter in the Sanford research dome and not even put on your coat."......

In preparation for the overall expansion, the hospital and health center has acquired and removed more than 100 homes near its campus, along with the seminary property it agreed to buy in 2005.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 9:48 PM

I was wondering where everyone is finding all of this info on sioux falls... i have looked everwhere on the web and cant find anything????

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 3:59 AM

Alot of this comes from local websites and news which I frequent often.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 1:36 AM

Uptown at Falls Park

Last edited by Justin_144; Apr 16, 2007 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 3:21 AM

Smile

In the new post above the picture of the porposal labeled "2006 proposal" there is loarge sturcture in the background that is not there already and i was wondering if the was a proposed parking structure?

If it is I hope that it will be more attractive than the normal run of the mill parking ramp in sioux falls. Also it would be ideal if it had ground floor retail and looked and had the feeling of building. Much like the parking/condo building being built for the Book Cadillac revovation in Detroit!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 3:37 AM

Sorry for so many questions but this project really interests me....

But anyway i was wondering what are the different phases of the project, i herd that phase 1 could start as early as this summer!

What is included in this?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 4:01 AM

Phase one is picture 5-9 if I am not mistaken
(these pics are a few months old, before winter hit)

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 3:32 PM

That large building is something I hadn't noticed before, I'm glad you pointed that out. I heard a lot of the parking would be underground, so I'm not sure what that is. You're right though, Sioux Falls has some ugly ass parking structures.

I do know the city is undergoing a downtown parking study right now and one of the recommendations will likely be to remove the structure that was built over the top of the river and build a new one somewhere else. Lincoln, Nebraska actually has some nice parking structures and Sioux Falls would do well to emulate some of those.

Justin is correct, the first phase to be constructed this summer are the later pictures he posted. The 6 story condo buildings with the glass skybridge are some of my favorite elements of the whole thing.

Now if they could remove the industrial stuff on the other side of the park and have a similar proposal to Uptown come forward, Falls Park would be well on it's way to becoming one of the finest urban parks in the upper Midwest.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 1:02 AM

Great uptown pics Justin. That project is probably the best thing planned for downtown sioux falls. I was out walking around downtown yesterday (Sunday) And I took some pictures of the new buildings. Cherapa Place is coming along great, I'll try to get those pics up soon. The 9th and Minnesota building is called Minnesota Centre. From the concept picture it looks like the Phillips centre with 2 more floors. Now, if only the city where to get off it's ass and get to work on a new events center! If not downtown then at the land donated by Sanford Health near 69th and Tallgrass. I have never heard of that new Pavilion Execuative Plaza, where are they planning at putting it?

Last edited by Wolfmanfromsufu; Apr 17, 2007 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 3:28 AM

Talking Development pics

Here are the pics I promised
Cherapa Place

The start of the Minnesota Centre

The future location of the Uptown at Falls park

Thats the best I have

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 2:54 PM

Which building did you say that the new Minneasota Centre looked like but is only a couple of stories taller?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 9:28 PM

It looks like the Phillips centre located at 11th and Phillips ave

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 12:56 AM

here's the phillips centre for reference

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest