HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Stantec Tower & Sky Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Edmonton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:12 PM
Community Guy

^exactly...

Sounds like Calgary is getting a wee bit jealous of some things.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 2:18 AM

Come on, it's one guy. Most of us are happy for you and looking forward to seeing the changes in person. Besides, as the only other big city within 1000 km of us, I want Edmonton to have a vibrant downtown with an impressive skyline.

Outside of sports, where I hope your teams continue to perform dismally, I want edmonton to succeed. for the good of the province, we need both cities to prosper.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Great shot of Stantec and Delta

http://www.avisonyoung.com/offices/edmonton
I'm a little confused, in that I tried to count them and only ended up with 59 floors. Is this an older render and there will be 10 additional floors somewhere?

I'm also confused with a lot of the window sizes towards the top. Many of them seem to be about half the size of the floors immediately surrounding them. Is that where the 70 is coming from?

I notice in the diagrams this is only 60 floors with a 700' roof, which looks to be the approximate scale of this render. So I guess the theme of the day is.... I'm confused.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 2:36 AM
So very tired...

^ Truth is there's been a lot of rumours and speculation from all over, some from more reputable sources than others. There are egos at play. And there has been a drastic drop in oil prices in the interim, and the inevitable doom and gloom predictions that go along with that that may have put a damper on the bullishness of only a few months ago.

At this point I'm not sure anyone knows how tall this one will end up, including Stantec.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:48 AM
Love skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I'm a little confused, in that I tried to count them and only ended up with 59 floors. Is this an older render and there will be 10 additional floors somewhere?

I'm also confused with a lot of the window sizes towards the top. Many of them seem to be about half the size of the floors immediately surrounding them. Is that where the 70 is coming from?

I notice in the diagrams this is only 60 floors with a 700' roof, which looks to be the approximate scale of this render. So I guess the theme of the day is.... I'm confused.
There are 62 floors in that pic not 59.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:35 AM
So very tired...

The pit from yesterday...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:28 AM

Looking forward to see this one go up! I realize they'll probably change a little bit of the design.... But overall it's pretty good!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 10:23 PM
So very tired...

Today

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 10:31 PM
Community Guy

Amazing how far along they are.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 12:18 AM

Awesome update Bulliver! How many levels of parkade are going in under Stantec?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 12:33 AM
So very tired...

4 levels, will cover pretty much the entire site. Excavation will be 18m deep.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 5:45 AM

It seems more like you are wishing that Calgary was jealous of this one.

Reading through the pages of this thread I am only seeing positive stuff (with the exception one post that looks like a response meant for another thread) from Calgary posters and rightly so. With Calgarians having projects like Telus Sky going up, there's no reason to be jealous. It's also rightly so that Calgary members should be posting positive things about this one. It's a new tallest and part of an exciting new district for Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^exactly...

Sounds like Calgary is getting a wee bit jealous of some things.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 7:47 AM

^^ I agree! For the most part I think Calgary forumers have been quite supportive of this project!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:30 PM
So very tired...

Today

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 7:24 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
^^ I agree! For the most part I think Calgary forumers have been quite supportive of this project!
There is little reason for any Calgary forumer, even the most homeric, to be jealous of this building other than for its street level interaction and its rumoured height. The tower design is aesthetically unpleasing and is not cohesive in the transition between the office and residential floorplates, especially in comparison to the 200 meter+ towers we already have and are building. It is fantastic that Edmonton is getting a new tallest, especially one in the 220 - 250 meter range to really push the envelope of height in Canada, but Stantec should have handed the reigns to or at least collaborated with an architectural firm more experienced in skyscraper design.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 7:23 PM

I have to agree. I know our city is getting a huge uplift downtown, but Stantec could have had a better overall design drawn up. I love the height (224 or 252??), but I hope they tweak the design. IMO it should have looked like EAP in Calgary, I love that tower

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 7:56 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

I think cold's statement was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

It's my understanding that they are still finalizing the design (and height) of Stantec tower, and am also hoping they make it into a more cohesive design. I think there will always be some degree of disconnect between the office and residential portions due to their different uses, though, but hopefully they can find a good compromise.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 8:46 PM

They'll work it out and "smooth out" the design.... I'm really curious to see what the final look will be!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 2:10 AM
Love skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
There is little reason for any Calgary forumer, even the most homeric, to be jealous of this building other than for its street level interaction and its rumoured height. The tower design is aesthetically unpleasing and is not cohesive in the transition between the office and residential floorplates, especially in comparison to the 200 meter+ towers we already have and are building. It is fantastic that Edmonton is getting a new tallest, especially one in the 220 - 250 meter range to really push the envelope of height in Canada, but Stantec should have handed the reigns to or at least collaborated with an architectural firm more experienced in skyscraper design.
When you start insulting the project you show the jelly. Just like Calgarians think only proper city population counts. Also the constant bumping of anything Calgary construction in this forum shows how desperate the city and its citizens need to be noticed.

Last edited by Skyisnolimit; Feb 5, 2015 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:13 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyisnolimit View Post
When you start insulting the project you show the jelly. Just like Calgarians think only proper city population counts. Also the constant bumping of anything Calgary construction in this forum shows how desperate the city and its citizens need to be noticed.
I really don't think that is the case. Again, almost every Calgarian forumer has been supportive of this project. It's just a bit much to tell us how jealous we all are of this tower when there is nothing design-wise to be jealous of, and no one has given any evidence to support such a claim. I made a widely supported and already-mentioned observation about the design of the tower, it wasn't meant to be an insult, just a supporting claim in why there is no reason for us to be jealous. It's okay, Suncor is no prize pig and it was our tallest for like 25 years.

And what's this about city-proper populations? Both our city proper and metropolitan area are larger, so why would that be a often-mentioned topic?

If you don't want a response about Calgary, don't mention Calgary.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive