HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 12:11 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Update - Traffic notifications have also been announced to take place between May 21 and June 22;

"This interruption in traffic flow is necessary to accommodate the final stages of the precast installation of the parking garage at 351 Water Street, to allow the installation of a tower crane to begin the work on the office building above, and to dismantle the precast crawler crane currently on site."

http://threefiftyone.ca/updates

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:07 AM

Cool.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Update - Traffic notifications have also been announced to take place between May 21 and June 22;

"This interruption in traffic flow is necessary to accommodate the final stages of the precast installation of the parking garage at 351 Water Street, to allow the installation of a tower crane to begin the work on the office building above, and to dismantle the precast crawler crane currently on site."

http://threefiftyone.ca/updates
Awesome! Hopefully Fortis will be getting a tower crane very soon as well.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 1:22 PM

Some assembly required

Quote:
The parkade for the 351 Water Street building is already completely constructed.

Now it needs to be assembled.

The newest office tower in St. John’s is being constructed partially with a method that hasn’t been done in this province before, says building owner East Port’s vice-president, Judy Wall. The building is being constructed with precast concrete slabs built offsite.

“Which means it’s made in a factory in a controlled environment so it’s premade, it’s prestressed. Because it’s done under strict, interior, controlled environment conditions, you’re left with a very good product,” Wall said.

Precast concrete requires less maintenance, lasts longer, and looks better, said Wall, who bases her assesment on a parkade East Port built on the Halifax harbourfront in 1985.

“If you walk through that parked now, it is still in excellent shape compared to a cast-in-place or steel structure.”

Wall said the St. John’s building will see the same benefits.

Because it’s prestressed you don’t see cracking and you don’t see wear and you don’t see the sort of things you’d see in cast-in-place concrete over time.”

With those advantages come some logistical challenges in getting the pre-cast concrete slabs, which can weigh upwards of 45,000 pounds, to the site.

When those pieces are made in another province, the challenges become even greater.

Once the decision was made to build the parkade with premade pieces, instead of the more common method of pouring concrete into forms on site, East Port had to find somebody to do the work.

They looked around Newfoundland first, said Wall, but didn’t find a company doing precast on the scale required for this project.

“The issue was that there wasn’t a plant in St. John’s. We did look to see if we could get even some of it at least done here but you’ve got to have the casting beds and it has to be in an enclosed area.”

In the end, East Port chose to go with Nova Scotia-based company Strescon, because it has the facilities and the experience to complete the job, said Wall.

Once made, the pieces were then shipped on trailers through Oceanex to a yard in Mount Pearl that East Port used to hold the pieces until they were needed.

Adding to the complication was Strescon’s desire to build all sizes of each piece before moving onto the next, and East Port’s desire to have the pieces arranged in the holding yard in a way that made sense for construction.

Each piece had its own detailed drawing.

“There were something like, I believe, 200 pages of detail drawings for that garage because each piece, even if they look exactly the same, there are subtle differences,” said Wall.

The pieces, and putting them together, could be compared to building something with LEGO pieces , with the notable difference of each piece not being exactly the same.

“Because each piece could be slightly different, it would be like trying to put LEGO together with 1,089 pieces and having to keep track of which piece went where so in other words you couldn’t just take an eight-piece red LEGO block and put it anywhere,” Wall said.

The process was “incredibly challenging,” said Wall, who has been impressed with the quality of work from each contractor.

Once all the pieces were made and delivered, they were then brought onto the site as needed, where they are assembled by American Steel & Precast Erectors, a company based in New Hampshire.

The use of an American company came after looking for a local firm to do the work, said Wall, adding that Strescon declined an offer to do the installation work.

Strescon recommended ASPE, who had the required experience.

East Port has attempted to use Newfoundland labour wherever possible, said Wall, and ASPE has hired local workers who they’ve since trained.

The parkade construction is ahead of schedule, partly because the weather has co-operated, said Wall.

Construction on the parkade is expected to be completed in June, with the rest of the building using a steel and cast concrete building method.

St. John’s newest office building, 351 Water Street, has an opening date of April, 2014.
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...bly-required/1

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 3:10 PM

Taken lunchtime today..!!

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
Taken lunchtime today..!!

Very nice indeed!!!!!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:38 AM

The first tower crane in Downtown St John's in how many years? Nice to see and good to know it will have company soon!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:12 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Some new photos have been added to the 351 Gallery.

This is one that shows the construction so far and both cranes.

Source: http://threefiftyone.ca/gallery

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 9:48 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

It was very surprising for me last night to hear people at the downtown forum referring to 351 as ugly. One person even referred to it as a "light blocking monstrosity." It blows my mind how nothing new can be built here.

That being said, I had a surprisingly interesting conversation afterwards with Shannie Duff, who told me she loved 351 and her only concern is that the shop fronts will be filled with something like a Tim Horton's instead of a neat boutique or grocery store. But she made a point to tell me that she agreed with the people bashing it and she thinks that it's a solid development.

It was interesting to hear that come from her, as I had her pegged as someone who would naturally be against it. I was disappointed though to hear the negative feedback from the crowd. I think 351 is anything BUT ugly.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 2:53 PM

Re: 351 Ugly

You have to remember that there is a very vocal minority in St. John's (mostly residing from Georgetown to the Battery), that are against anything downtown, except the circa 1910 4 flat buildings (which they call historical).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
It was very surprising for me last night to hear people at the downtown forum referring to 351 as ugly. One person even referred to it as a "light blocking monstrosity." It blows my mind how nothing new can be built here.

That being said, I had a surprisingly interesting conversation afterwards with Shannie Duff, who told me she loved 351 and her only concern is that the shop fronts will be filled with something like a Tim Horton's instead of a neat boutique or grocery store. But she made a point to tell me that she agreed with the people bashing it and she thinks that it's a solid development.

It was interesting to hear that come from her, as I had her pegged as someone who would naturally be against it. I was disappointed though to hear the negative feedback from the crowd. I think 351 is anything BUT ugly.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 12:30 AM

351 has a very unique design concept for the parking garage which certainly looks nicer than poured concrete. It could be better hidden of course, but it's far from hideous. But people will complain that it's not faux-turn of the century row houses like the ones built on Harvey Road, which are way too tacky.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 1:59 AM

I think 351 is a great looking building. I am all for heritage, but how much longer are we going to allow this minority of people in the downtown continue to block development? How can we move forward when the same people go to all the public hearings and give their same recycled arguments like 'it is too high' or 'it's ugly' or 'we need to protect these old decrepit so called heritage buildings'? The problem is that they get results, because they are the only people speaking up! This has to change. We blame city hall for bending t their pressure, but I rarely see any organized counter-pressure in this regard.

Just a thought!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I think 351 is a great looking building. I am all for heritage, but how much longer are we going to allow this minority of people in the downtown continue to block development? How can we move forward when the same people go to all the public hearings and give their same recycled arguments like 'it is too high' or 'it's ugly' or 'we need to protect these old decrepit so called heritage buildings'? The problem is that they get results, because they are the only people speaking up! This has to change. We blame city hall for bending t their pressure, but I rarely see any organized counter-pressure in this regard.

Just a thought!
I've never been to any public meetings but I get a feeling part of the problem may be that the people who are opposed are very vocal about it but the people are supportive keep very quiet. Maybe us supporters needs to get to these meetings waving pompoms and chanting in support of these developments.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 2:06 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I've never been to any public meetings but I get a feeling part of the problem may be that the people who are opposed are very vocal about it but the people are supportive keep very quiet. Maybe us supporters needs to get to these meetings waving pompoms and chanting in support of these developments.
I've started to do just that, having been to the past two events related to downtown development. One thing that is great to see is that council has acknowledged and sort of designated the west-side of the harbour (near Fortis and Deacon) as the desired "development" area due to its location (bottom of Pitts Memorial). As far as I'm concerned, there is a lot down there that can go. Hopefully it happens, it'd be nice to see some modern condos along with the new office buildings, for example.

But yeah, these public hearings are great, and I've managed to make a point on both occasions about the need for development downtown. If anyone wants to attend the next one, I'll likely be there either way. Already I noticed a few very vocal anti-development types who were at both, so your statement is definitely valid.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 1:33 PM

Here are some photos taken by me on June 23, 2012.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Here are some photos taken by me on June 23, 2012.
^^^ Thanks for the progress pics of 351 (as well as Fortis). I'm really looking forward to seeing these buildings in their entirety

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
^^^ Thanks for the progress pics of 351 (as well as Fortis). I'm really looking forward to seeing these buildings in their entirety
No problem. I am down that way often so I will try to get some better pics of Fortis soon. With regards to 351, most of the concrete work looks near complete. I expect to see some steel starting to go up soon. The cool thing with these two projects going on the same time is you really get to see the difference in putting up a precast building vs. pouring the concrete in place with formwork.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 5:12 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Nice update. There is still one more level to be built on the garage before the office section starts, apparently the structure will be a bit different from the first 5 levels.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 4:55 PM

The office building has started.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
The office building has started.
Hmm... According to the LUAR there is suppose to be a six-level parking garage. Does this mean there will be less parking spaces? I believe the extra public parking spaces was a driving force to get the building approved. Architype did mention the final parking level was to be different, may be that's what they're starting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's