HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 3:43 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseven View Post
That's no joke... The old one was like a bullet-train down Little Cottenwood Canyon on a wooden frame with rusted out rails.

Someone correct my memory... Weren't there fatalities with the old Wild Mouse ride?
That's a great description of the old one.

I can't say that I remember if there were fatalities or not, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me. It did seem somewhat unsafe, but I think it was an intended part of the experience.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:10 PM

I loved the old Wild Mouse. The cars would tip slightly at each turn which increased the thrill of the ride.

The new one follows the same track layout of the original wooden one but it feels to safe to really call it a thrill ride.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:52 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I don't think the Salt Lake Metro could support a second one amusement park. If so I think both would be pretty watered down, and both would be much less interesting than Lagoon presently is.

I do however think that the state in general could support two. For many years now I have thought that St. George would be a great place for a theme park, it has a decent population base, but it's the visitors to the area that would truly support the park. My family traveled to St. George once a twice a year nearly every year just for the weekend, and the only thing to do was swim in the hotel pool. An Amusement Park, if done right could mean even more tourism dollars for St. George, and could attract families from Vegas as well.

I could however see the potential for a new Large Theme/Amusement Park being built on the shores of Utah Lake, in Vineyard on the former Geneva Steel site. Now that would be a cool amusement park and a great location, particularly with a future Front Runner stop planned in Vineyard. Cedar Point in Ohio is on Lake Eire. I would anticipate that if done right however that Lagoon would quickly become very obsolete, and just a small little after thought park. While Lagoon isn't anywhere near the top of the list of great amusement parks, it does have it's charm and history and I would hate to see it go out of business. Plus who's to say that an amusement park in Vineyard wouldn't be closed on Sunday.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Dec 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
That's a great description of the old one.

I can't say that I remember if there were fatalities or not, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me. It did seem somewhat unsafe, but I think it was an intended part of the experience.
I did a Google search on this a couple of years back because I was curious if there had ever been any deaths on Lagoon rides.

There seem to be myths related to deaths on the Wild Mouse ride, but there are only 4 recorded deaths on rides at the park, the last in 1989 when a girl stood up on The Roller Coaster, although apparently the restrains were much different then and it's simply impossible to do now (although it still shouldn't have been possible then). There was another in 1989 when a child somehow got out of the restraints on the Puff ride, climbed out, and got hit (it's very low-speed, but it's still big and fast enough to kill a child if it hits them directly).

The other two known ones were in 1934 and 1946. Of course, the farther back in time you go, the less complete the data is.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1180556AACwb6l

Of course Yahoo answers isn't the most reliable, but a Google search doesn't come up with anything to refute this so it's the best we've got.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I did a Google search on this a couple of years back because I was curious if there had ever been any deaths on Lagoon rides.

There seem to be myths related to deaths on the Wild Mouse ride, but there are only 4 recorded deaths on rides at the park, the last in 1989 when a girl stood up on The Roller Coaster, although apparently the restrains were much different then and it's simply impossible to do now (although it still shouldn't have been possible then). There was another in 1989 when a child somehow got out of the restraints on the Puff ride, climbed out, and got hit (it's very low-speed, but it's still big and fast enough to kill a child if it hits them directly).

The other two known ones were in 1934 and 1946. Of course, the farther back in time you go, the less complete the data is.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1180556AACwb6l

Of course Yahoo answers isn't the most reliable, but a Google search doesn't come up with anything to refute this so it's the best we've got.
I remember hearing stories about the girl who stood up on the Roller Coaster and then was decapitated by a sign or something. I always thought they were urban legends (clearly the part about her being decapitated was). There was also another story where a girl slipped through the harness on the Fire Dragon and plummeted to her death during one of the loops.

But obviously that one was a legend.

Here's the story from the Deseret News:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/5...AL.html?pg=all

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
They all float down here

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:23 PM

The boy that was killed on Puff was in my kindergarten class at the time it happened. I'll always remember my teacher coming in the next day crying having to tell the class what happened. The ride is supposed to go around the track three times. The ride operator was new and stopped it after one time around. The kids started yelling, saying that it was supposed to keep going so he started the ride again but this boy, Ryan, was already climbing out and fell onto the tracks. His Dad saw the whole thing and was trying to jump the fence to pull him out of the way but didn’t get there in time. At least those are the details that I remember hearing as a 5 year old.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
The boy that was killed on Puff was in my kindergarten class at the time it happened. I'll always remember my teacher coming in the next day crying having to tell the class what happened. The ride is supposed to go around the track three times. The ride operator was new and stopped it after one time around. The kids started yelling, saying that it was supposed to keep going so he started the ride again but this boy, Ryan, was already climbing out and fell onto the tracks. His Dad saw the whole thing and was trying to jump the fence to pull him out of the way but didn’t get there in time. At least those are the details that I remember hearing as a 5 year old.
That's what I heard as well.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 8:11 AM
Bring out the cranes...

New Lagoon details and Rumors,

2013: two new kiddie rides will open. One's a Tea cup ride ( name says it all ) and the other is called "Red Rocks" or something like that that has little jeeps for the kids to ride in.
2014: ( rumor ) Spider 2.0. Rumor has it that Lagoon might be replacing the Spider ride with a newer, taller, bigger Spider ride.
2015: ( rumor ) Mega Coaster. 200 FT tall with underground tunnel. Work on this could begin fall or early next year.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
New Lagoon details and Rumors,

2013: two new kiddie rides will open. One's a Tea cup ride ( name says it all ) and the other is called "Red Rocks" or something like that that has little jeeps for the kids to ride in.
2014: ( rumor ) Spider 2.0. Rumor has it that Lagoon might be replacing the Spider ride with a newer, taller, bigger Spider ride.
2015: ( rumor ) Mega Coaster. 200 FT tall with underground tunnel. Work on this could begin fall or early next year.
If those end up being accurate, that'd make me happy. I do really like the Spider ride--has the Wild Mouse vibe, fun enough for kids and adults. And I'd rather have the wait until 2015 to have a real Mega Coaster than have yet another smallish one that is okay, but not really exciting.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 5:26 AM

I remember a time when I was in High School in the late 90's, Lagoon Amusement Park was being pursued as a purchase by Six Flags Entertainment Corporation.

Over a decade ago, I thought it would be exciting to have a Six Flags in Utah.

Today, I am glad to know that Lagoon is and should remain a local family business.

Six Flags parks are repulsive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inciden...ix_Flags_parks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Flags_New_Orleans

Although I do miss the "Fun House".

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 6:54 AM

It has been a while, but the Farmington City Planning Commission voted in favor of a new ride at the park on 8/16/12.

In the meeting minutes it is stated that the new ride will have a height of 208 ft.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofIKid View Post
It has been a while, but the Farmington City Planning Commission voted in favor of a new ride at the park on 8/16/12.

In the meeting minutes it is stated that the new ride will have a height of 208 ft.
YyyyyeeeeEeeeAaaAAAAAHHHH bbOOOOOOII!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 9:57 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

That is such exciting news. Just to put it into perspective; according to wikipedia the hill on Colussus is 85' tall, and the Wicked tower is 110'

The top of the Rocket tower is 217'

So the new roller coaster (I'm assuming and hoping it's a coaster) will have a starting hill about 9' shorter than the Rocket. It's about time.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 1:18 AM

New coaster at 208 feet would be awesome, but he said "ride" not necessarily coaster. Still bet it's a coaster, but we'll see!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 6:10 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I hope this is a coaster... That would be beyond awesome.

As for the old wild mouse.. I think that is the only ride that made me fear for my life... Seems like I was reading that it was one of the last of its type in operation.. And it was actually moved to a museum or a collector got it or something.. I could be thinking of something else ill see if I can find it.. Seems like it also said that the coaster that we call the fire dragon only had one loop on all the other ones that were produced.. but that ours was custom-made to have two loops.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 2:26 PM
Development Junkie

Never mind.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 2:40 PM

The ride will be a rollercoaster. I can assure you that. I've had the opportunity to see the plans.

Checkout the site (screamscape) below for a good idea of what the ride will be. I can say that they describe the rumored "mega coaster" pretty dang accurate.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/lagoon.htm

current construction site photos:
http://www.lagoonisfun.com/showthrea...d=4053&page=36

Last edited by Viperlord; Sep 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 3:14 PM

That sounds fantastic -- sounds like it will be worth the wait.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 6:22 PM

There has been some updates, or at least new pictures of the new roller coaster going up at Lagoon

http://www.lagoonisfun.com/showthrea...d=4053&page=38

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West