HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 11:40 PM

from ebay

So where exactly did they remove Valentino's body?
-there are several good clues. (like the '57'* on the hill in the distance)

..of course you can't overlook the huge arrow shaped 'Pasadena, South Pasadena, Alhambra' sign, but that still doesn't
give us the exact location.

*one question is: Are there other '57' locations besides the well known Baldwin Hills '57'?
(amazingly, fhammon even spotted the '57' in a Little Rascals silent)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8993

illuminated '57' info. found by GW.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8995
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 14, 2013 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Another clue - I found the following picture at LAPL. The caption reads "Pictured is Marion Davies with two men, one of them identified as Guy Price. They are standing at a train depot, possibly the Alhambra station, waiting to board the Southern Pacific train that carries Rudolph Valentino's casket to its final destination. Photograph dated September 8, 1926."

LAPL

I also found an invitation to his requiem in Beverly Hills which appears to dated the day before the picture above:

findadeath.com

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 12:56 AM

-The Marion Davies/Alhambra Station photograph is intriguing to say the least HossC. (I love anything Marion Davies)

-but it appears in the ebay photo, the train was stopped at some undisclosed rail crossing to unload Valentino's body.
(there isn't a station in sight)

Then why are there so many people in the ebay photo you may ask?
My only guess is that they were there to witness the train passing by, and much to their surprise it stopped and unloaded the body!
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 14, 2013 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 3:42 AM

"Jacaranda tree in bloom, Los Angeles.

Circa 1940."

memoriastoica on tumblr (color-corrected)

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the specific location?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 4:18 AM

November, 1959---smog attack! 1st and Broadway.

LA Times

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 5:50 AM

sopas, is it just coincidence that this smog photo just appeared on FB from L.A. as Subject? Are you perhaps related to to that page or following it? Just askin'.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 6:36 AM

Quote:
from ebay

-there are several good clues.

..of course you can't overlook the huge arrow shaped 'Pasadena, South Pasadena, Alhambra' sign, but that still doesn't
give us the exact location.

__
My guess is that the b/w photo was taken in what I suppose is El Sereno from about Valley Boulevard and Beatie Place, give or take a block or so. This photo looks north from near that intersection across the former SP tracks:

GSV

Regarding the arrow pointing west for the (Mountain?) Highway to Pasadena, South Pasadena, and Alhambra, my only guess is that you had to go back west to where you could cross the railroad tracks, then travel north and east.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 7:31 AM

Quote:
-dates aside, I really like this image Scott posted.

Looking at the same scene today I was surprised to see the large building on the left (United California Bank) is gone. At what point in time did that happen?

If you look closely, you can see a large vertical sign that says 'Continental'. Is this attached to the far side of the building mentioned above?

I love the tiny diagonal 'cocktails' sign, as well as the HOT Do-Nut sign. You can also see the Santa Fe sign on the Pacific Electric Building at 6th and Main. Fun photo!
__
You were discussing the date earlier, based on the Ford Fairlane. It seems many of the other cars look a lot older, 50s even. But I did a search for UCB and found that it was founded in the 70s: UCB Date Established: January 05, 1972. Is that fresh paint on that sign? Can't be early to mid 70s then? Where are any newer cars?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlutz View Post
You were discussing the date earlier, based on the Ford Fairlane. It seems many of the other cars look a lot older, 50s even. But I did a search for UCB and found that it was founded in the 70s: UCB Date Established: January 05, 1972. Is that fresh paint on that sign? Can't be early to mid 70s then? Where are any newer cars?
From what I was able to learn, United California Bank was formed in 1961. See http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...ncorp-history/. I'm just a bit too young to remember this, but I do recall UCB's having been around throughout the Sixties and Seventies until it became First Interstate Bank.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
From what I was able to learn, United California Bank was formed in 1961. See http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...ncorp-history/. I'm just a bit too young to remember this, but I do recall UCB's having been around throughout the Sixties and Seventies until it became First Interstate Bank.

Yes. Construction on the bank's crowning-glory – the United California Bank Building (today called AON Center) – began around 1970. (I still think of that skyscraper as "The UCB Building.")

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 3:00 PM
BANNED

Valentino fake-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
My guess is that the b/w photo was taken in what I suppose is El Sereno from about Valley Boulevard and Beatie Place, give or take a block or so. This photo looks north from near that intersection across the former SP tracks:

GSV

Regarding the arrow pointing west for the (Mountain?) Highway to Pasadena, South Pasadena, and Alhambra, my only guess is that you had to go back west to where you could cross the railroad tracks, then travel north and east.
Looks like you nailed the transfer location Flying wedge. Evidently there were thousands of people at the main LA rail station. To elude this crowd, the train was stopped in El Sereno and the casket was transferred to the funeral home truck.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 3:21 PM
Dallas, TX

Potentially Noirish: Neat idea mixing old and new photos

Photographer Marc Hermann has superimposed old crime photos on modern photos of the same area. Would be cool to do the same for L.A. Here is the link.

Marc Hermann
March 19, 1942 is a day well captured in the Daily News’ archive. Edna Egbert, who lived at 497 Dean St. in Brooklyn, climbed onto her ledge that day. The News captured the distraught woman fighting with the police as she wobbled on the edge. The building is currently painted red, but remains nearly identical to the way it looked 70 years ago.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 7:19 PM

6th and Main Streets, Los Angeles

Quote:
-dates aside, I really like this image Scott posted.

Looking at the same scene today I was surprised to see the large building on the left (United California Bank) is gone. At what point in time did that happen?

If you look closely, you can see a large vertical sign that says 'Continental'. Is this attached to the far side of the building mentioned above?

I love the tiny diagonal 'cocktails' sign, as well as the HOT Do-Nut sign. You can also see the Santa Fe sign on the Pacific Electric Building at 6th and Main. Fun photo!
__
ER, the compression in the photo is deceiving. The Santa Fe Sign is not on the PE building, but Rather on the Santa Fe Building on the north east corner of 6th St. The sign incidentally, was a fairly late addition to the building as it is not seen in this early 1940's photo of the intersection.

http://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...ilding-002.jpg

This building is now the Santa Fe Lofts.
http://la.chriscamargo.com/2011/07/santa-fe-building/

The Continental sign is for Continental Trailways, formerly Santa Fe Trailways.They used the first floor of the UCB building and the buses entered the parking lot between the UCB Building and the small, square System Auto Park office seen behind the white van in the color photo. This structure is also visible in the early 1940 view and carries a sign for All American Bus Lines.

The following quote is from www.stocklobster.com:"All American Bus Lines was incorporated in September of 1935 in Delaware, but the company�s operations were located in Chicago. With $1,000,000 capital, the company operated some 30 day coaches within a year. The new sleepers, built in Los Angeles by Crown Body Works and Columbia Coach Works, were among the best in the country. They had four compartments on each side, each compartment seating or sleeping three persons and containing a lavatory. The unit�s air conditioning was based on a new system. Previous sleepers had cooling apparatus which never succeeded because they was too heavy. The new lightweight system, installed by Dry-Ice Appliance Corporation of Mount Vernon, IL, consisted of a chemical refrigerant piped around the girth of the bus after passing over carbon dioxide. A 12-hour run in 100� temperature required 100 lbs of dry ice, at a cost of about $2 at the time.

The company was renamed the American Buslines in 1946 and joined Trailways that same year. In 1953, the company was sold to Transcontinental Bus System/Continental Trailways.

All American Bus Lines was the first coast-to-coast single ownership bus line company in the United States. While Greyhound offered coast-to-coast service earlier, it was provided through a number of independent franchisees."

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Sep 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 7:37 PM

1970/71 (?) - Images taken from United California Bank, 62nd story.

Eastern view
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics27/00033409.jpg

Northern view
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics27/00033411.jpg

Western view
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics27/00033410.jpg

United Cal Bank brings to mind a Beverly Hills Branch 9132 Wilshire that featured a window encased view of the bank vault.

XMAS, '78 decorations obscure the window.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00090/00090627.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7027/6...b0c53d8f_o.jpg

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Life
Native Angeleno Mildred Younger (1920-2006),
with a great hat and a great Miracle Mile backdrop.
Younger has an interesting story, if not exactly noir.

Image entitled "Model in Beverly Hills" circa '49 (Um, the date and model may be correct.)
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics11/00025305.jpg

Previously posted disappearing images from 'SC

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../22154/rec/110

DuPars

More Pru Miracle Mile. Source says "1950/1968" I vote for mid late '50s

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../22101/rec/107

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 9:01 PM

Great set of photos including UCB. I remember that one in Beverly Hills with the vault in the window was used on a TV show, maybe Mission Impossible, where they had to get into the vault without being detected from the street. I had not been in that part of town before but shortly after I saw the show, my friend and I drove right by there. I was impressed to find something I had just seen on the TV in real life.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
If this really is Summit Drive, and I do believe it is, then Coldwater Canyon isn't anywhere in this shot. Eastwards of this vantage point there is first North Beverly Drive in a small canyon of its own, and then further east we come to Franklin Canyon. Coldwater is on the far side of Franklin Canyon with respect to this shot; it's not visible here except possibly in the far distance.

The landscape looks like it could handle a few private airstrips. Four decades later, and the residents have problems with an itty bitty heliport and the "whisper-like" whir of a non-fixed wing aircraft. At least this would have afforded a convenient place for paparazzi to land.

Coldwater Canyon neighbors say NO! To Frank Sinatra's request to build heliport near his home at 2666 Bowmont Dr.

Jan. 20, 1962
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00082/00082937.jpg

June 16, 1962
Warning at entrance of Mr. Sinatra's Bowmont residence.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00082/00082938.jpg

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlutz View Post
Great set of photos including UCB. I remember that one in Beverly Hills with the vault in the window was used on a TV show, maybe Mission Impossible, where they had to get into the vault without being detected from the street. I had not been in that part of town before but shortly after I saw the show, my friend and I drove right by there. I was impressed to find something I had just seen on the TV in real life.
A bird whispered in my ear that the vault may have been featured in many shows of the late '60s early '70s, including the Beverly Hillbillies and It takes a Thief. Popular late-night watering hole in the mid-late '70s was called Dr. Munchies.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 9:33 PM

Columbia Square Complex at 6121 Sunset Blvd. (1939)

LAPL
http://waterandpower.org/museum.html

Yesterday, Friday the 13th:

KABC7
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story

According to witnesses, there were two explosions. I walked by this site last Monday. It's currently undergoing a $1 billion renovation. Firefighters quickly saved most of the historic complex.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 10:43 PM

E_R posted some pictures/postcards of Point Fermin a few pages back, including the one below:

Quote:
The Cliff Cafe on Point Fermin, San Pedro CA (Los Angeles Harbor) circa 1917

ebay
I am surprised by the various pathways and stairs leading down to the ocean.
By the utility poles in the picture above, I'd say that the Cliff Cafe was near the big tree in the center of the aerial below.

Google Maps

After seeing the original pictures, I was intrigued by "the various pathways and stairs leading down to the ocean", and went looking for more views of them. In the end, I came across the panorama below (there are five in the set). The title says "Panorama of Point Fermin, the outer harbor and Timms Point at the San Pedro Harbor, ca.1905".

USC Digital Library

Zooming in on the picture above I found some text on the hill in the background that says "Lot For Sale G H Peck". Other than references to Gregory Peck, I don't recall the name Peck being mentioned here before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos