HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:52 PM

Hebron Way Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Well the property that was formally gonna be Empire Theatres on Hebron Way has a new proposal for the site. An office complex similar to the KMK building next door.
Here is a pdf link to the city's website agenda.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...on%20plans.pdf
Great to see the development, but this will mean of course more traffic on Torbay Road. The city HAS to find a solution. Perhaps I'll pursue this in the traffic thread.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Great to see the development, but this will mean of course more traffic on Torbay Road. The city HAS to find a solution. Perhaps I'll pursue this in the traffic thread.
I agree, with all the development in the area the current infrastructure cannot support the volume of traffic. As for the former Empire Theatres, I hope Cineplex builds a new theatre at Galway. We need another new and modern theatre. I took my son to see a movie a couple weeks back and it was pure madness! I think the Mount Pearl Square location is well past its prime.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I agree, with all the development in the area the current infrastructure cannot support the volume of traffic. As for the former Empire Theatres, I hope Cineplex builds a new theatre at Galway. We need another new and modern theatre. I took my son to see a movie a couple weeks back and it was pure madness! I think the Mount Pearl Square location is well past its prime.
I feel like the new parking garage will alleviate a lot of the problems at Avalon Mall theatres but yeah saying Mount Pearl Square is past it's prime could be an understatement. Hard to think Cineplex is not losing out on customers by not having a second more modern location further into the Mount Pearl/Paradise/CBS area. Even if it was only smaller 8 screen theatre.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
I feel like the new parking garage will alleviate a lot of the problems at Avalon Mall theatres but yeah saying Mount Pearl Square is past it's prime could be an understatement. Hard to think Cineplex is not losing out on customers by not having a second more modern location further into the Mount Pearl/Paradise/CBS area. Even if it was only smaller 8 screen theatre.
Just as a point of clarification, my comment regarding the madness was referring to the crowd at the theatre. Parking at the Mall is a whole different madness in itself.... . I agree that the parking garage should help alleviate some pain. However, with Fog City building a stand alone location outside the mall will take away some parking in that area. The parking garage is definitely a plus though.

A modern 8 screen theatre would be fantastic!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
If I remember correctly, that has been the plan since the conception of Galway. I believe it was even on some of the plans.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 12:00 AM

Been hearing rumours that construction will start soon on the proposed North Atlantic station with Tim Hortons and Subway included across the street from Holiday Inn Express at the airport on Tailwind Drive. Anyone got any info on this?

Also heard that The owners of Holiday Inn Express have put in a proposal to build a stand alone restaurant next door to its hotel as there isn't one in the hotel. Haven't heard what restaurant it will be but I think it will be one of the known franchises. Again, if anyone has any updates or info on these developments, let us know.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Been hearing rumours that construction will start soon on the proposed North Atlantic station with Tim Hortons and Subway included across the street from Holiday Inn Express at the airport on Tailwind Drive. Anyone got any info on this?

Also heard that The owners of Holiday Inn Express have put in a proposal to build a stand alone restaurant next door to its hotel as there isn't one in the hotel. Haven't heard what restaurant it will be but I think it will be one of the known franchises. Again, if anyone has any updates or info on these developments, let us know.
Sorry, I don't have any updates or info to add on this - just a question for clarification.
The "known franchises" you mention, I gather it's one that has a presence in the city already?
Man - I hope it's not another CARA restaurant. If it's going to be a chain restaurant something new to the local market would be nice.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Sorry, I don't have any updates or info to add on this - just a question for clarification.
The "known franchises" you mention, I gather it's one that has a presence in the city already?
Man - I hope it's not another CARA restaurant. If it's going to be a chain restaurant something new to the local market would be nice.
Eventually this city will stop just giving money to CARA without hesitation.

Right?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:24 PM

Sorry I have no idea if it's a Cara affiliated restaurant or not. But a hotel is likely to go with something familiar so that would be up to them. Would be nice though if it were something different.

Why would the city be giving money to them? The city in the end would be the ones getting money thru property taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
Eventually this city will stop just giving money to CARA without hesitation.

Right?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 12:43 AM

Just arriving at work and noticed they have started clearing land on Tailwind Drive at the roundabout at the airport. That's where the rumored proposed North Atlantic gas station with Tim Hortons and Subway included. Still can't find any confirmation anywhere. Anyone have any updates on this?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:02 AM

Quote:
The city in the end would be the ones getting money thru property taxes.
City = people, the people of this city.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Just arriving at work and noticed they have started clearing land on Tailwind Drive at the roundabout at the airport. That's where the rumored proposed North Atlantic gas station with Tim Hortons and Subway included. Still can't find any confirmation anywhere. Anyone have any updates on this?
Here's a CBC story on the North Atlantic station & Tims at airport entrance. It doesn't mention a Subway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...port-1.4360070

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:28 PM

Assuming the Tim Horton's in the Airport will still remain?..

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Assuming the Tim Horton's in the Airport will still remain?..
I would imagine both in the airport will still be there.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 2:02 PM

Probably already posted but:
http://www.yorkbuilt.ca/aberdeen/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Probably already posted but:
http://www.yorkbuilt.ca/aberdeen/
I don't recall seeing this in any City Council minutes or having been discussed in the Planning and Development committee. Is there a development application for this? Oh wait, I forgot, it is in the East End, not Galway...the rules are different.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I don't recall seeing this in any City Council minutes or having been discussed in the Planning and Development committee. Is there a development application for this? Oh wait, I forgot, it is in the East End, not Galway...the rules are different.
It is different. It's a building in an established area that conforms to its zoning so it would be a routine permit (no council decision required) which may or may not have been issued yet. This is also built by York (who are also building in Galway) and being sold by Remax (part of the KMK empire, also big players in Galway), so maybe not the best example of a double standard.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:57 AM

Noticed yesterday more foundations going down on the strip on White Rose Drive where Carters/Northern Reflections/Party City is. They are extending that building towards Bulk Barn/Dollarama. Not sure if there are any tenants lined up yet.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 3:49 AM

The Current Costco Bldg listed for sale

So I was just looking at CBRE's web site and noticed they have the current Costco building listed for sale. There's no price listed, but I guess this is a big sign that Costco IS moving. Which I still cannot believe. Personally I think they could have two Costco stores to balance the traffic.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...d=3486&LL=true

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotr View Post
So I was just looking at CBRE's web site and noticed they have the current Costco building listed for sale. There's no price listed, but I guess this is a big sign that Costco IS moving. Which I still cannot believe. Personally I think they could have two Costco stores to balance the traffic.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...d=3486&LL=true
So I guess this kills the Costco Business Centre rumour...

I'm really having a hard time trying to come up with retailers that would move into that building. At least no obvious ones. I could imagine a home building supplies store like Home Depot could buy this and not have to do many renovations but Kent and Rona are already in the area...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's