HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post

just re-sizing.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 8:12 PM

Trib: Salt Lake City flights are packed, but that attracts expanded service

Article says that flights in and out of SLC are consistently more full than industry averages. Overall, all flights are an average of 83.3% full.

Specifically: Delta 84.1% full, United 86.1%, Frontier 87.1%, JetBlue 85.2%, KLM 83.4%, American 82.8%, Southwest 81.3%, Alaska and Air Canada 71.7%

http://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/...anded-service/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWire View Post
Trib: Salt Lake City flights are packed, but that attracts expanded service

Article says that flights in and out of SLC are consistently more full than industry averages. Overall, all flights are an average of 83.3% full.

Specifically: Delta 84.1% full, United 86.1%, Frontier 87.1%, JetBlue 85.2%, KLM 83.4%, American 82.8%, Southwest 81.3%, Alaska and Air Canada 71.7%

http://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/...anded-service/
I'm glad to see KLM's numbers so high (considering its only for the 1 flight they operate, especially for 3x weekly seasonal since may of 2016). I think that it shows more service to AMS is viable especially if that flight was added in addition to delta's daily service. Maybe they could switch to weekly and then add another 3x weekly service as demand dictates?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:53 AM

Be nice if we could see some new international routes or even airlines.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcguy View Post
Be nice if we could see some new international routes or even airlines.
Possibilities I see in SLC:

FCO, MAN, or FRA on DL

Condor to FRA

YVR and YYZ on Westjet

CDG on AF

WOW or Icelandair to KEF

Norwegian to somewhere?

AM adding more destinations (in addition to mexico city and guadalajara) and other mexican carriers (volaris) adding new destinations in mexico

And then something that I think is more likely than many people imagine... ICN on Korean Air or Delta. The JV will allow Delta and KE to grow capacity in the US more and MSP and SLC are the missing holes. SLC sees tons of premium traffic and based on what I've heard from friends at SLC international, this route is in the works.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post

FCO, MAN, or FRA on DL

Condor to FRA

YVR and YYZ on Westjet

CDG on AF

WOW or Icelandair to KEF

Norwegian to somewhere?

AM adding more destinations (in addition to mexico city and guadalajara) and other mexican carriers (volaris) adding new destinations in mexico

And then something that I think is more likely than many people imagine... ICN on Korean Air or Delta. The JV will allow Delta and KE to grow capacity in the US more and MSP and SLC are the missing holes. SLC sees tons of premium traffic and based on what I've heard from friends at SLC international, this route is in the works.
I agree that SLC is due for an increase in international service. However, I am doubtful that the new airport with 75 gates will be able to handle too much additional international traffic. I understand that the new airport gates will have all jetway access but the airport is going to need more wide body gates as well as a larger customs area. I think the airport will need to build a full north concourse instead of building a partial one. While visiting Bryce Canyon last month I realized that Utah's "Mighty Five" ads are working. Almost working too well. The park was inundated with visitors and many were speaking mandarin, german, dutch and french. Utah has been discovered by foreigners for sure. Now it will be up to the SLC airport to be able to handle that international traffic growth.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:51 PM

Pretty sure North concourse east is already planned by 2024.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post

FCO, MAN, or FRA on DL

Condor to FRA

YVR and YYZ on Westjet

CDG on AF

WOW or Icelandair to KEF

Norwegian to somewhere?

Agree. I think when Korean Air and Delta’s JV goes into effect, I think there is a decent chance there could be an announcement of Minneapolis and Salt Lake City service. Other than Korean Air, maybe Condor is the only other international airline I could see in SLC. Air Canada is now officially out of SLC. Air Canada performed badly in SLC. That only leaves Aeroméxico and KLM as the international carriers in SLC. Both are partners of Delta of course.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 10:30 AM

Ralph Becker: New airport light rail service is a must-have for Salt Lake City

By Ralph Becker, For The Deseret News

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...Lake-City.html

"The current mayor’s decision to abandon the preferred alternative and move TRAX away from the main entrance will add undue time and inconvenience to everyone traveling by surface to and from the airport. The mayor’s secretly developed proposal will make many passengers and employees opt to use their vehicles to get to the airport."

Arguments and actions against bringing light rail service directly to the entrance of Salt Lake City’s new international airport, which serves over 23 million passengers annually, are shortsighted and irresponsible. I commend the City Council for re-engaging the stakeholders to try to resolve the financial shortfall and bring TRAX to the terminal entrance.

While the rebuild of Salt Lake City’s airport is the most expensive construction project in Utah’s history — $3 billion — locating TRAX at the main entrance represents less than 2 percent of the total airport reconstruction cost. And a main-entrance TRAX stop responds to the project’s long-term goal: to build a convenient, functional, sustainable, cost-efficient and beautiful airport as a gateway to our region and state...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 4:21 AM

Yet another reason why Biskupski is one of the worst mayors ever in SLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Ralph Becker: New airport light rail service is a must-have for Salt Lake City

By Ralph Becker, For The Deseret News

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...Lake-City.html

"The current mayor’s decision to abandon the preferred alternative and move TRAX away from the main entrance will add undue time and inconvenience to everyone traveling by surface to and from the airport. The mayor’s secretly developed proposal will make many passengers and employees opt to use their vehicles to get to the airport."

Arguments and actions against bringing light rail service directly to the entrance of Salt Lake City’s new international airport, which serves over 23 million passengers annually, are shortsighted and irresponsible. I commend the City Council for re-engaging the stakeholders to try to resolve the financial shortfall and bring TRAX to the terminal entrance.

While the rebuild of Salt Lake City’s airport is the most expensive construction project in Utah’s history — $3 billion — locating TRAX at the main entrance represents less than 2 percent of the total airport reconstruction cost. And a main-entrance TRAX stop responds to the project’s long-term goal: to build a convenient, functional, sustainable, cost-efficient and beautiful airport as a gateway to our region and state...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
Agree. I think when Korean Air and Delta’s JV goes into effect, I think there is a decent chance there could be an announcement of Minneapolis and Salt Lake City service. Other than Korean Air, maybe Condor is the only other international airline I could see in SLC. Air Canada is now officially out of SLC. Air Canada performed badly in SLC. That only leaves Aeroméxico and KLM as the international carriers in SLC. Both are partners of Delta of course.
It seems to me that Utah could do a much better job of promoting itself(St. George) to Canada's millions of "Snowbirds". There are advantages to St. George over say Phoenix. One is the close-in natural surroundings are far more beautiful and varied. Also of course, the easy access to Vegas. St. George is an option that many would choose for various reasons, if they were just more aware of it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 9:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It seems to me that Utah could do a much better job of promoting itself(St. George) to Canada's millions of "Snowbirds". There are advantages to St. George over say Phoenix. One is the close-in natural surroundings are far more beautiful and varied. Also of course, the easy access to Vegas. St. George is an option that many would choose for various reasons, if they were just more aware of it.
I like most of what you say Delts, but so much of the stuff you talk about is so subjective. I guarantee you most people will always choose Phoenix over St George as a snowbird destination simply because of the sheer size of the city. Also in my humble opinion, and I know plenty of peeps who agree, St George is incredibly ugly. (cool rock formations? sure! but not pretty by any stretch.) That being said, I also think Phoenix is ugly. I used to live there and I love the city (boring as crap) but its a good city. Lets be realistic though, St. George will always be a flyover city. (in some ways Salt Lake will always be too.)

The point of me responding this is, a lot of your posts need more pudding or stats and stuff to back up your points rather than a subjective feeling for a place. What I said was also very subjective, and is there to show that not everyone agrees with your way of thinking and what can or should be done. What we need is at least some evidence to back your point in order to be taken seriously.

As I do agree that Utah does need to better promote itself- Saying that there are advantages to St George over Phoenix is crap. Sure there may be a few if your an outdoor nut (keep in mind most people are not) Especially given the fact that most snowbirds are old people. Advantages in Phoenix far outweigh the advantages of St. George to most people. Unless they hate traffic and are obsessed with the outdoors then maybe the latter could happen.

Note that I'm not just talking about this one post of yours, so many of your posts are so subjective. And as I'm all for sharing your opinion, just make sure its not just your opinion trying to prove why things should happen. Or why things would happen a certain way. (I'm not saying that's what your saying in this previous post, but many many many or your posts about Salt Lake are very subjective and trying to explain why things will happen a certain way if they did this because of only your opinion. This just reminded me of all those previous posts... And in the past it seems as if sometimes whenever someone has a different opinion that you, you spend more time trying to prove your opinion right rather than just find actual facts to prove why something may improve the city.

Instead of proving things with subjective feelings or opinions like "because our mountains are better" "the Vivant Arena is one of the best in America" "St. George is more beautiful than Phoenix" Ect Ect.... Try saying things that are much more rooted than opinions that vary say like, "Because St. George is the golfing capital we can really try and capitalize on tourism by..." Because saying things like "Salt Lake mountains are the best" may only be true to some people. A lot of people I've known who visited ended up not liking them much because it made them feel claustrophobic. In a lot of peoples minds Colorado has the best mountains in America. Others believe its Switzerland who have the best mountains in the world. Same thing goes for St. George and the Vivant Arena. But saying something like how St. George is the Golfing capital... is a fact and has more meat on the bones and we can figure out thing or ideas to capitalize on that.

Last edited by grasscom; Oct 30, 2017 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:26 AM

In other news (not really news) the seasonal schedule changes went into effect today. SLC-CDG is now 5x a week, SLC-LHR has ended for the season, and I believe KL609 to AMS ended 4 days ago. SLC-AMS stays the same frequency year round. SLC-ATL-HNL (not SLC-ATL) has been upgauged from the domestic 763 config (the ones that Delta is now retiring) to the A333.

Fun news, we also saw a Delta 772 in SLC yesterday because of a scheduled aircraft swap on HNL-SLC-ATL. Its always fun to see them here

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:09 PM

Quote:

Grasscom, You seem to have a problem interpreting accurately what I intend to be innocuous and very elementary posts. First of all, I never said Phoenix is ugly, but you sure said it. As a city itself, I think there are many nice areas within the greater metro. I would be far kinder to Phoenix than most on this nation wide forum are. I actually said the close-in scenery surrounding St. George is far more beautiful and varied. Try to actually read the post. Do we need to hit people over the head with details, such as between 25 to 50 miles surrounding St. George. We could then post pictures of Zions National Park or the Dixie National Forest(Pine Valley Mountains). You see, the majority of the people on the local forum are very aware of the close-inscenery that surrounds St. George. To say that an endless array of spectacular close in scenery is, and I quote your words "incredibly ugly" sounds more like something someone would say that seems to have a preponderance for trolling and or bashing Utah.

Also, your insistence that I am always saying that all things in Utah or Salt Lake City are the very best is very inaccurate on your part. First of all, try to recognize the obvious meaning when a forum member states that a Utah topographical feature, such as the Wasatch Mountains are among the or some of the prettiest mountains surrounding a major metro in the United States. "Among the" means exactly what it sounds like, and I think most of the forum members understand that. It does not mean it is THE BEST. It means it is in a group of peers, which are among the prettiest or most beautiful. For example, I do not think that the view from Silver Lake Flats of Timp. is the most beautiful view in the world. However, I do think it is one of the most beautiful.You seriously donot seem to understand the difference. Same with the Vivint Arena. You insist somehow I said it was the best. I said no such thing. I said I felt it was among or one of the more attractively designed arenas in the NBA. I also used words such as one of the more timeless and elegant designs. Many agreed, and also some felt it is too simplistic or just an uninspired box. This is after all a forum where the primary intent is to offer up opinions on the design of buildings and their surrounding infrastructure. That said, while we all have varying opinions on the design of the Vivint Center, we all agreed that it needs more engagement around it's perimeter block.

You also implied that I somehow think that if Canadians knew about St. George they would all move there. I said many not all. What does that entail, 2%-5% more if better informed? Many does not mean all or even a majority. Do we really need to spell out an exact percentage. Yes, there are quite a reasonable number of retirees who would prefer a smaller city to Phoenix, and at the same time have the option of very convenient and leisurely access to the Entertainment Capital of the World. And yes, most on this forum, even those who are not particularly outdoor fanatics would agree that there are a respectable number who prefer the easy access to innumerable outdoor activities. Perhaps riding on the coattails of the Mighty Five commercials is quite enough for St. George to maintain a manageable growth. They would seem to be entering into another boom cycle, which any more growth added to that would be a negative effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasscom View Post
I like most of what you say Delts, but so much of the stuff you talk about is so subjective. I guarantee you most people will always choose Phoenix over St George as a snowbird destination simply because of the sheer size of the city. Also in my humble opinion, and I know plenty of peeps who agree, St George is incredibly ugly. (cool rock formations? sure! but not pretty by any stretch.) That being said, I also think Phoenix is ugly. I used to live there and I love the city (boring as crap) but its a good city. Lets be realistic though, St. George will always be a flyover city. (in some ways Salt Lake will always be too.)

The point of me responding this is, a lot of your posts need more pudding or stats and stuff to back up your points rather than a subjective feeling for a place. What I said was also very subjective, and is there to show that not everyone agrees with your way of thinking and what can or should be done. What we need is at least some evidence to back your point in order to be taken seriously.

As I do agree that Utah does need to better promote itself- Saying that there are advantages to St George over Phoenix is crap. Sure there may be a few if your an outdoor nut (keep in mind most people are not) Especially given the fact that most snowbirds are old people. Advantages in Phoenix far outweigh the advantages of St. George to most people. Unless they hate traffic and are obsessed with the outdoors then maybe the latter could happen.

Note that I'm not just talking about this one post of yours, so many of your posts are so subjective. And as I'm all for sharing your opinion, just make sure its not just your opinion trying to prove why things should happen. Or why things would happen a certain way. (I'm not saying that's what your saying in this previous post, but many many many or your posts about Salt Lake are very subjective and trying to explain why things will happen a certain way if they did this because of only your opinion. This just reminded me of all those previous posts... And in the past it seems as if sometimes whenever someone has a different opinion that you, you spend more time trying to prove your opinion right rather than just find actual facts to prove why something may improve the city.

Instead of proving things with subjective feelings or opinions like "because our mountains are better" "the Vivant Arena is one of the best in America" "St. George is more beautiful than Phoenix" Ect Ect.... Try saying things that are much more rooted than opinions that vary say like, "Because St. George is the golfing capital we can really try and capitalize on tourism by..." Because saying things like "Salt Lake mountains are the best" may only be true to some people. A lot of people I've known who visited ended up not liking them much because it made them feel claustrophobic. In a lot of peoples minds Colorado has the best mountains in America. Others believe its Switzerland who have the best mountains in the world. Same thing goes for St. George and the Vivant Arena. But saying something like how St. George is the Golfing capital... is a fact and has more meat on the bones and we can figure out thing or ideas to capitalize on that.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 31, 2017 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Grasscom, You seem to have a problem interpreting accurately what I intend to be innocuous and very elementary posts. First of all, I never said Phoenix is ugly, but you sure said it. As a city itself, I think there are many nice areas within the greater metro. I would be far kinder to Phoenix than most on this nation wide forum are. I actually said the close-in scenery surrounding St. George is far more beautiful and varied. Try to actually read the post. Do we need to hit people over the head with details, such as between 25 to 50 miles surrounding St. George. We could then post pictures of Zions National Park or the Dixie National Forest(Pine Valley Mountains). You see, the majority of the people on the local forum are very aware of the close-inscenery that surrounds St. George. To say that an endless array of spectacular close in scenery is, and I quote your words "incredibly ugly" sounds more like something someone would say that seems to have a preponderance for trolling and or bashing Utah.

Also, your insistence that I am always saying that all things in Utah or Salt Lake City are the very best is very inaccurate on your part. First of all, try to recognize the obvious meaning when a forum member states that a Utah topographical feature, such as the Wasatch Mountains are among the or some of the prettiest mountains surrounding a major metro in the United States. "Among the" means exactly what it sounds like, and I think most of the forum members understand that. It does not mean it is THE BEST. It means it is in a group of peers, which are among the prettiest or most beautiful. For example, I do not think that the view from Silver Lake Flats of Timp. is the most beautiful view in the world. However, I do think it is one of the most beautiful.You seriously donot seem to understand the difference. Same with the Vivint Arena. You insist somehow I said it was the best. I said no such thing. I said I felt it was among or one of the more attractively designed arenas in the NBA. I also used words such as one of the more timeless and elegant designs. Many agreed, and also some felt it is too simplistic or just an uninspired box. This is after all a forum where the primary intent is to offer up opinions on the design of buildings and their surrounding infrastructure. That said, while we all have varying opinions on the design of the Vivint Center, we all agreed that it needs more engagement around it's perimeter block.

You also implied that I somehow think that if Canadians knew about St. George they would all move there. I said many not all. What does that entail, 2%-5% more if better informed? Many does not mean all or even a majority. Do we really need to spell out an exact percentage. Yes, there are quite a reasonable number of retirees who would prefer a smaller city to Phoenix, and at the same time have the option of very convenient and leisurely access to the Entertainment Capital of the World. And yes, most on this forum, even those who are not particularly outdoor fanatics would agree that there are a respectable number who prefer the easy access to innumerable outdoor activities. Perhaps riding on the coattails of the Mighty Five commercials is quite enough for St. George to maintain a manageable growth. They would seem to be entering into another boom cycle, which any more growth added to that would be a negative effect.
Down boy

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
Down boy

This seems like it should have been addressed to grasscom.

Everything delts wrote is on point.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
This seems like it should have been addressed to grasscom.

Everything delts wrote is on point.
I was implying that delts has some bite in his comment. Grasscom’s comments were more of this type

I like Delts optimism!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:41 AM
Exit 298

GIFs are fun, but....

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 11:19 PM

November 1, 2017
  • Completed steel erection on South Concourse-West and began framing work to enclose concourse
  • Installed boilers and chillers in the Central Utility Plant
  • Completed concrete pours on second level of the parking garage
  • Surpassed 700 workers on-site

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:17 PM
Engineer

I hadn't seen these pictures before, from the new slc website:

It's visibly coming together now. You can see the approximate outline of the terminal in red, the elevated roadway in yellow, the parking garage in green, and south concourse west is easily visible:

I'm guessing these pictures are a few weeks old. As of a week and a half ago there was already a significant amount of steel rising for the terminal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West